Quantcast
Jump to content
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rubie said:

 

I'm sorry that Kim Yong Ji is from BH Entertainment. 

 

Last post.

  

@rubie Oh! No! You are not quitting this thread too? . You had been the key person to keep this thread alive and we had enjoyed all the information and pictures and videos that you had shared.  Thank you for all your efforts. It will not be the same without you. Please reconsider. Don’t mind what others say as I cannot see what is the problem of Kim Yong Ji being from BH Entertainment. I think she is lucky as it is a good agency since it helped her to get such a good role for her debut.

 

Interesting that a dance school had also choreographed a dance using a most familiar OST from Mr Sunshine. Nice. 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mistergenie said:

@charray  RE: Eugene tied up - Ooh! This is intriguing. Is that Lee Jeong Mun's side profile (in blue dress) in one of the pics? Did he order the arrest? The soldiers around Eugene - they're Joseon ones, right? The Japanese have a blue tinged uniform. But the red bands on their sleeves and caps are throwing me off and  making me think that they're Japanese soldiers.

 

Joseon soldiers (military uniform) and probably Lee Jeong Mun

 

 

1. EC got into trouble with his actions

2. Joseon wants to solve the problem with RA, they arrested RA members when they met?

Maybe the meeting and conversation EC-Lee Jeong Mun is a warning against something more dangerous (executions, pacification of partisans) and they be released or they only let go EC?

 

@rubie stay, ignore posts when necessary because there is no point in getting nervous . 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The king might have viewed the RA's action as contempt? 

WIth pressure coming from japaneese army, the king is forced to arrest the grandpa of AS and those involves with this movement.

EC might've prevented the capture, and paid huge price for his action. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add more heat to the fire, the actor Lee Byung Hun in my opinion cannot have had Botox, as his facial muscles are still moving. I came here because other places in which discuss this serie were not nice to the show itself as well as to the first lead. As I didn’t know any of the actors working in this production,  never heard of them before, included LBH, I cannot understand those who said someone else would fit better their parts. To me, all the actors, including the support actors, could not have been choosed better because them all are great at delivering their lines.  To conclude, I find also funny seeing that some people talk as the characters were real, or identifies the actors with their parts. Sounds so strange to me. I wish everyone enjoy  the show as I do.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@marfisa No offence, just my opinion. 

 

Mr. Sunshine is fictional series.

I know they are fictional heroes/characters and many events are made up but I have respect for sad/dark history and this series show this period. 

Perhaps this is a form of accounting for the past or an attempt to evaluate it. Sometimes directors of movies and series choose difficult topics.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While waiting for the airing of Mr Sunshine, here’s two fan-made MVs for your viewing pleasure. Hope that you like and enjoy them as much as I do. 

 

Credit: @CaptTamagochi

 

 

Captain Eugene Choi looked so suave, cool and badass here.

 

Credit: @supapitto T

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@aurelionsol 

about the topic: I agree with you. I understand that this bit of history is still painful, and anything set in that time, even though fictional, may raise debates. My point of view is distant to that, I am sorry if I may sound insensitive in some way.  I came to watch asian productions because I like see something different than the usual American or European works.  I like watching shows with a different culture background.  I like also find out explanations for little things, like the the meaning of touching ladies feet in that time. I have been always fascinated with eastern colture. I believe it started with watching Shogun and the Japanese anime that were broadcast in Italy during the seventies.  Now I can watch more, thanks to netflix (no, I am not working for them, eheh) and I may be a bit too much enthusiasts, and forget that even if it is fiction, there may be issues related to real history  and people can be sensitive about it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

@rubie  Never surrender your voice :heart:For you and all here are unique...

Never-Give-Up-quote-1024x1024.pngfullsizephoto979774.jpg

Just as Mr Sunshine consists of many characters and one depending on the other to tell it's story so it is with a thread.  What makes a story like this rich, beautiful and inspiring.  Isn't just the words written on a page but also the passion in which the actors are able to deliver it's meaning.  Just as they are passionate in allowing us to see just that, so it is that we also are passionate in our reactions.  It takes each of us sharing, reading and writing to make a thread rich, beautiful and yes even inspiring.  No matter if its threads numbers are small or great it's the unique voices being heard through our fingertips that make the journey and experience worth it...

 

Just as they are each unique and needed in order to make this story work so it is with each of us here.  Our different, ideas, thoughts and voices heard through our words are unique and needed as well.  Just as AS shows her spirit in never surrendering either should ANY of us.  Yet with that thought comes the responsibility in respecting not just ones own point of view but truly in listening to others as well...

 

For there is a lot of beauty in others thoughts if only we are willing to open our minds and understand each other with our hearts...

:heart:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It is the Righteous Army guy whom Dong Mae let go that shot him. Why did they do that? What are they thinking of? But good news is he did not die as Hee Sung is nearby and went to save him. Need to watch again with subs later.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speculation Time: Could that Dong Mae and Ae Shin scene in E18 preview be a hallucination/past memory while Dong Mae is being operated on to remove the bullets?  Possible, no? Because in that scene in the preview - 1) there is no indication that he was recently shot and is recovering from two bullet injuries. 2) they were on civil terms in E17, so seeing Dong Mae invading Ae Shin's personal space like that and looking angry seems a bit out of place.  OR some time has passed, he is fully recovered and he is after the RA guy who shot him, hence the anger.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time AeShin gave the coin to Dong Mae politely and also thanked him.  Just saying... character  evolution...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, marfisa said:

This time AeShin gave the coin to Dong Mae politely and also thanked him.  Just saying... character  evolution...

 

Even though she is under no obligation to give him this ransom/extortion money in a civil way, she has already been giving him the coin politely - it was shown in a very brief scene in last week's episode. This time, she thanked him for his help in bringing that undelivered letter to her grandfather.

 

Character evolution? Politely disagree. More like basic common decency from Ae Shin despite the circumstances.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again Soompiers.  I've yet to watch the unsubbed Ep 17 on dailymotion.com before posting my thoughts o the episode and feedback/recap from others on this thread and others websites.

 

To be honest, I'm rather disheartened that after going through 16-going-on 17 (no pun intended, The Sound of Music!) episodes of AS, EC, DM, HS, HN, and other characters anticipating (and, for some, suffering early ramifications of) a critical point in the Joseon era before the Japanese colonization, I'm still seeing comments disparaging characters/actors' depiction including "lack of facial expressions/emoting due to possible botox injections".  I believe that all the cast ensemble have sufficiently (I'd say outstandingly, but anyhow) shouldered their characters, plot/conflict, and dynamic of the drama.

 

Also, for those insisting on pushing AS and DM together and for AS to immediately accept DM's actions due to his tragic past, I want to point out one thing that we, as viewers, need to consider not just here but in any other drama, movie, or other fiction work: Just because we the audience (and maybe some other characters) can see, understand and/or, if applicable, sympathize/empathize with the overall characterization/plight/background of these characters does NOT mean that they are fully or even aware of, let alone understand/sympathize/empathize, the other's circumstances or perspective.  I know that tends to be rather frustrating for the sake of both the character and the plotline, but this also happens to us in real life.  So, while I wouldn't mind seeing AS and DM reach some sort of understanding over their overall position in the midst of Japanese rule of Joseon Korea in the next 8 episodes, right now I have yet to see them actually discuss about what and why the other has been acting or thinking thus far (unless someone can show scenes of them having any of these exchanges in today's or earlier episodes that I might've missed).

 

Again, I haven't watched today's episode yet, so maybe what I'm about to say is already occurring here:  I want to see AS shift her main thoughts/concerns from her relationship/future with EC to the current affairs of her household (particularly her grandfather), the RA, King/Emperor Gojong and his army, and the rest of Joseon.  Judging by some recaps/feedbacks here and on https://www.dramamilk.com/mr-sunshine-kdrama-recap-episode-17/, it looks as though Wan Ik or even King Gojong is targeting AS' grandfather (aka head of the Go household) as the official scapegoat :angry:.  If AS' grandfather get branded (and executed :o) for his cause, then AS is about to lose whatever security or life she has had as a Joseon noblewoman, especially once Japan takes over.  And then her relationship with EC and even her fight for Joseon independence won't be the only issues AS has to worry about losing; she will need to start adapting and fighting for her own safety and future (and, if possible, her happiness).

 

As always, please correct me if I missed any significant plot point or characterization.  I look forward to hearing more on your thoughts on today's episode and the overall trajectory of Mr. Sunshine!

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marfisa said:

This time AeShin gave the coin to Dong Mae politely and also thanked him.  Just saying... character  evolution...

 

hahahaha, i told you guys right. The kind of evolution that these guys (DM fan) want to see from AS is nothing more than showing politeness to DM. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Speculation Time: Could that Dong Mae and Ae Shin scene in E18 preview be a hallucination/past memory while Dong Mae is being operated on to remove the bullets?  Possible, no? Because in that scene in the preview - 1) there is no indication that he was recently shot and is recovering from two bullet injuries. 2) they were on civil terms in E17, so seeing Dong Mae invading Ae Shin's personal space like that and looking angry seems a bit out of place.  OR some time has passed, he is fully recovered and he is after the RA guy who shot him, hence the anger.

 

Sorry for quoting my own comment but I was reading dramamilk's translation of the preview and some other thoughts came to mind:

 

From dramamilk's translation of the preview: Dong Mae: – I will be someone for you from now on. Because now I don’t care if I make the entire world my enemy. -

 

hmm, maybe he wants to join the RA and be her comrade/shield yada yada? Too late dude, she already has EC for all that.

 

OR

 

maybe he takes it upon himself to punish/beat/kill people who are spreading rumors about Ae Shin's broken engagement - if so,  I fully expect parts of the fandom (high on entitlement) to expect, nay demand that Ae Shin recognize DM's actions and reciprocate in some way or another. As for me, I hope she firmly knocks some sense into him - she doesn't need someone being a white knight on her behalf, specially someone for whom she has no reciprocal feelings of love at all.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can i just say how cool and bad a** looking EC was while riding his horse in Go estates, :wub:he was like move out you richard simmons you are in my house ..:D

  • Like 5
  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, elfvanvan said:

Can i just say how cool and bad a** looking EC was while riding his horse in Go estates, :wub:he was like move out you richard simmons you are in my house ..:D

 

Eugene always make grand entrance during critical moment haha!!

  • Like 3
  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kansas424 said:

 

Eugene always make grand entrance during critical moment haha!!

 

@Ahpheng will love this latest entrance. He has made many grand entrances on foot, now he has upped the game by arriving on horseback.

  • Like 3
  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Sorry for quoting my own comment but I was reading dramamilk's translation of the preview and some other thoughts came to mind:

 

From dramamilk's translation of the preview: Dong Mae: – I will be someone for you from now on. Because now I don’t care if I make the entire world my enemy. -

 

hmm, maybe he wants to join the RA and be her comrade/shield yada yada? Too late dude, she already has EC for all that.

 

OR

 

maybe he takes it upon himself to punish/beat/kill people who are spreading rumors about Ae Shin's broken engagement - if so,  I fully expect parts of the fandom (high on entitlement) to expect, nay demand that Ae Shin recognize DM's actions and reciprocate in some way or another. As for me, I hope she firmly knocks some sense into him - she doesn't need someone being a white knight on her behalf, specially someone for whom she has no reciprocal feelings of love at all.

 

Hi @mistergenie.  The DM fandom may be swooning over the "coin/debt exchange" (which, btw, still gives neither AS or DM any substantial understanding of the other), the candy/shootout scene, and the preview (with DM walking in slow-motion with his sword toward AS while narrating about being someone for her despite turning against the world), but AS has more pressing matters at hand that she, at the moment, can't be bothered with having to knock some sense into DM.

 

AS' grandfather, along with his fellow nobles, is imploring in front of the palace over King/Emperor Gojong's (or is it Sunjong now? I'm losing track of any time changes in the drama) capitulation to the Japanese at the expense of the Joseon citizens, and, judging by the Ep 18 preview, is under arrest by the police (Japanese or Korean? I can't tell).  Meanwhile, the Japanese police discovered AS' attendance at an English school (where they arrested the English teacher there as a spy) and is ransacking her home.  Not to mention Wan Ik's foreboding gaze at AS' direction in the next episode preview.  At this point, AS' own life, safety, and future (and that of her grandfather, EC, and her loved ones) are at stake now.  She has no time to ponder DM's questionable actions/mission; heck, she may not even have time now to continue getting involved in the RA movement or pursuing her relationship/future/happiness with EC when she's facing unsettling turmoil in her own home.

 

Since I watched the unsubbed Ep 17 and do not really understand Korean, please let me know if I missed any other key plot points or characterizations.:)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KDramaLogic said:

 

Hi @mistergenie.  The DM fandom may be swooning over the "coin/debt exchange" (which, btw, still gives neither AS or DM any substantial understanding of the other), the candy/shootout scene, and the preview (with DM walking in slow-motion with his sword toward AS while narrating about being someone for her despite turning against the world), but AS has more pressing matters at hand that she, at the moment, can't be bothered with having to knock some sense into DM.

 

AS' grandfather, along with his fellow nobles, is imploring in front of the palace over King/Emperor Gojong's (or is it Sunjong now? I'm losing track of any time changes in the drama) capitulation to the Japanese at the expense of the Joseon citizens, and, judging by the Ep 18 preview, is under arrest by the police (Japanese or Korean? I can't tell).  Meanwhile, the Japanese police discovered AS' attendance at an English school (where they arrested the English teacher there as a spy) and is ransacking her home.  Not to mention Wan Ik's foreboding gaze at AS' direction in the next episode preview.  At this point, AS' own life, safety, and future (and that of her grandfather, EC, and her loved ones) are at stake now.  She has no time to ponder DM's questionable actions/mission; heck, she may not even have time now to continue getting involved in the RA movement or pursuing her relationship/future/happiness with EC when she's facing unsettling turmoil in her own home.

 

Since I watched the unsubbed Ep 17 and do not really understand Korean, please let me know if I missed any other key plot points or characterizations.:)

 

I am not unduly worried about AE Shin's involvement in the heady matters you have described in your post. Willingly or not, she will end up being caught up in major events, and it will be quite interesting to see what steps she takes to resolve certain sticky situations (namely her grandfather's arrest and Wan Ik). Whatever the case, her character is not static nor stuck in some weird one sided obsessive loop where her life revolves around one person only (same cannot be said about a pathetic DM) - she is dealing with multiple things and those things don't have to be exclusionary - like, she has to let go of one thing to tend to another - life doesn't work that way - when everything important to you is on the line, you fight for everything - you don't drop something nor push something to the back burner.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...