Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

4 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

Allow me to begin by thanking and quoting @rubie  for this post. I've added red highlights to our superb cast here in MrSS, for whom no amount of superlatives do justice. :wub: But congrats especially to Kim Tae-Ri for this most well deserved and sustained recognition.:love:

I'm not sure why it's so quiet here after Ep 17, which in my view was the finest one so far. Blew my mind. Made me proud to be a Korean person just to be associated with the writer of this story in a distant way (like I am to Abraham Lincoln or Father Abraham for that matter). I've never said that about any drama, but this was one perfection of an episode.

Byun Yo-Han's performance at the pool table, their most tender dialog, blew my mind. Ae-Sin must've had a weak-kneed moment at least for a second. But the writer-nim, with her imagination and creativity in introducing such a character arc for Hui-Sung, starting from such a louse of a man struggling to rid himself of his horrid parentage, turning everywhere for relief from his guilt (I want to coin it the Korean Yang-ban - 양반 nobleman - guilt), but just at the most crucial juncture of his life, to the only person for whom his action might work to save his soul, so to speak, he does the absolute right thing, the righteous thing in loving her in the way she desires. I've seen other pro-Japanese playboy turn patriotic for the sake of his one true and deserving love (since Han Ji-Min's pic is above, her part in the old 'Captial Scandal' comes to mind) story, but this scene at the pool table today was in a league of its own from start to finish. Bravo to Writer-nim. Then, too, Hui-Sung's mother's apology to Ae-Sin's aunt/stepmom was soo well done, most poignant dialog - every single one of these actors and actresses have elevated their acting chops a few notches - that scene also complemented her son's righteous act and gave closure to the matter for me.:heartbreak::innocent::innocent:

Goo Dong-Mae, I really thought he was done. I didn't watch any previews so I couldn't imagine this happening already. But that was soo well done. I cried. He wanted candy and was grumpy that he didn't get service. The little butcher-shop boy who had to pretend to be so tough when he jumped into young Ae-Sin's palanquin, he just wanted some candy, just so elated that Ae-Sin had kept her promise and held her end of the bargain, paying him, then thanking him from the heart for his genuine concern for her grandfather. And, too, as he lied there bleeding to death and coughing up blood, he thought of how worthy a thing it was that he had done for her grandfather (since he was promptly shot for it), how worthy a thanks she had paid him - it was enough for him to be satisfied, but I wonder if it gave him a supernatural will to live, to beat his luck for the day, to live one more day, for his Ae-Sin. We all know the answer.:scream::skull::heartbreak::cold_sweat::innocent:

Then Eugene, who has it so easy, so easy that he can tease Ae-Sin and tell her the flowers were more beautiful than the woman (Ae-Sin), much to her jealous rage (silence), but ah, again, when it most counted, against the completely unexpected, his old Japanese 'friend's attempted rape of Ae-Sin's household - of course none other than Mr SunShine on his high horse enters from out of nowhere. I don't know why, but at the moment I had forgotten to remember that he would enter just like that, was just enraged along with Ae-Sin at what was unfolding before my eyes in her household.:naughty::glasses::innocent:

So many other scenes.... Dong-Mae and Eugene's quiet exchange and convoluted "we're brothers now because I know you're Ssang-Nom (쌍놈 low-born) just like me" and "Oh but I looked the other way for you even when I knew you were a butcher why don't you do the same for me". Just so well said, and most of it translated just like that quite well.:phew:

This was such a happy day in dramaland for me, I can't ask for more.

Except, as you all know, I can't not, because the Sun is still Shining.... :tounge_wink:

Mr. Sunshine is officially the best drama i have even watched for the past 30 years. You should be proud of Korea, for such high quality production. Along with these excellence lineup of fine actors. There's no need of much skinship, i can feel the pureness and simplest form of love which existed back then, the actors can literally converse with their eyes, crazy acting skills. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@kansas424 That's exactly what I was thinking too, about the excellency of so many k-dramas: there's a diversity of stories, and given the volume they produce each year, there's always a gem here and there, yearlong. When I'm in love with a drama, I tend to fall in love with the details too: the design production, the cinematography, the expertise of the writer(s) playing with our nerves, keeping us on the edge of our seats, etc. All this without the shock factor of abundance of gruesome images, or rated-R love scenes... I feel at times that Mr. Sunshine does follow a formula, but it's not a criticism, I love every bit of it. It's part of my weekend highlights after a long week of work.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, kansas424 said:

Mr. Sunshine is officially the best drama i have even watched for the past 30 years. You should be proud of Korea, for such high quality production. Along with these excellence lineup of fine actors. There's no need of much skinship, i can feel the pureness and simplest form of love which existed back then, the actors can literally converse with their eyes, crazy acting skills. 

17 minutes ago, lilyphenix said:

@kansas424 That's exactly what I was thinking too, about the excellency of so many k-dramas: there's a diversity of stories, and given the volume they produce each year, there's always a gem here and there, yearlong. When I'm in love with a drama, I tend to fall in love with the details too: the design production, the cinematography, the expertise of the writer(s) playing with our nerves, keeping us on the edge of our seats, etc. All this without the shock factor of abundance of gruesome images, or rated-R love scenes... I feel at times that Mr. Sunshine does follow a formula, but it's not a criticism, I love every bit of it. It's part of my weekend highlights after a long week of work.

Thank you for those sentiments. It's really hard not to gush, but another thing, which by the way may have already been pointed out by many others here, is the fact that we have at least 3 languages going back and forth in half the dialogs - so a thought occurred to me that this is truly an example of 21st century TV - I don't speak European languages well so I don't know what it's like there, but to have a high quality international cast production like this that explores and exploits the richness of the multiple cultures and languages at their historical cross sections, the intrigue, the misunderstandings, the humor, being able to imagine all the untold stories that happened when these cultures clashed then and now, some of which have surely been captured here in these episodes, this is what I am marveling at each time in this drama. For example the curses Yi Wan-Ik spits out in Korean at the Japanese ambassador who can't understand him but knows he's swearing at him, so much of what we do also in real life when we aren't so interested in hearing the other person's side - it's all very funny but also gives me a pause. This drama is going to live in everyone's mind for a very long time I believe. B) And it will influence many others in how they tell their story in a much more connected world, I think, if it hasn't already.

• Like 6

@philosophie

Spoiler

I don't think so, he will probably stick around for a little longer. No matter how much people here dislike DM's character, he is still one of the leading figures of this drama and I believe he will have an important role to play in the events to come. I'm very excited where the plot is going

• Like 2

Casts and crew of Mr Sunshine attending the wrap up party today. I spotted Hina, Domi, little Eugene, Ae Shun, Joseph, Lee Wan Ik in the video. Ae Shun is gorgeous in real life and Domi is adorable as usual. 

Credit: All from @sadgasna IG

And our lovable and cute Aegissi....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

praise_good_job.gifHaman Daek saves the day (or rather Ae Shin's diary), big time!

You're the best right-hand (wo)man! yes.gif

Thanks to goblin_mrsunshine

Thoughts of Ep17: It's a well-meant gesture of Eugene to visit Hee Sung's mother to let her know that he has nothing against her son. It's also for her to know that EC kept his promise, he wasn't the one telling HS about the past.. he never let slip not even one detail about the incident until HS found out about it by himself. The ornament was the last thing given to EC by his mother, although not her own, it became hers as Eugene held on to it for many years as a motivation for him to survive in America. I think Lady Yun is commendable for her action, she stood up owning the responsibility of what happened 30 years ago and bowed down to atone for their mistakes. That's why Eugene wants her to support Hee Sung, in reminiscence of his own mother protecting him to the end of her life. Even without his forgiveness, Eugene wants Lady Yun to have her closure as well.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2

The ending of episode 18 left me totally speechless and in shock! Gobsmacked is the word. Is he out of his mind or something? Need to wait for the subs from Netflix to know what is happening. Or can someone who knows korean can give some insights of what makes him do that?

• Like 5

@rubie I usually hate PPLs, specially any Subway ones, but the Matryoshka doll one is super cute and is kind of woven into Ae Shin's fascination with foreign stuff. Me likey.

@charray Speechless and in shock? My anxiety levels just touched the roof. Speechless shock due to good stuff happening or foreboding, dangerous stuff? Edit: nvm. just read the recap of the final minutes on dramamilk. Ooh boy!! I will have plenty of thoughts about this, none of which will be pretty.

• Like 5

What does that ending mean?!!! I know it’s pretty significant to cut your hair especially in those times and ESPECIALLY a noblewoman and to top that off!! He did it publicly!!

• Like 3

@blademan  @mistergenie  This is akin to: humiliate and shame her in public. Why did he do that? She did not even do anything to him. She saved his life. Just when I was warming up to his character after episode 16, then this?

• Like 2

Hi chingus, I have just started watching n loving it. Everything is so beautiful. I m impressed by the details of the production, including fluency of English n Japanese. 

Before I started, I saw negative comments about d age gap but a few episodes in, I m totally ok with it. 

Thanks for the analysis n insights. And in particular, thanks to @ahpheng8 for all the strips. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, blademan said:

What does that ending mean?!!! I know it’s pretty significant to cut your hair especially in those times and ESPECIALLY a noblewoman and to top that off!! He did it publicly!!

Dont't know exact cultural context but maybe humiliating her/shaming her/actually making her a flawed woman (by the definition of those times) so that she doesn't step outside the house/ hides away somewhere/ goes away someplace else? If I am being way too lenient with DM's motives - cutting off her hair to indirectly help her disguise herself better?

BUT, the way in which  DM takes away her agency in this, is infuriating. Nothing can justify this sh*tty behavior.

P.S: Is there some confusion about the episode count? dramamilk were saying so in the beginning of their live recap So, 22 episodes or 24? What is the correct number?

• Like 2

@blademan  @mistergenie I think he did that to protect her in his own way. And his way for sure is not everybody's taste.

But i am pretty sure he did that for her sake. 

Guys i don't think of dong mae as villain and i am sure he will join the righteous army to protect joseon at the end too.

• Like 7