[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

13 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

I won't bore you with my endless obsession over the show, other than to say that I'm really happy for the show and the cast. I am happy with the ending too, and the only thing I'm really sad about is that there will be no more episodes starting from today.

I agree the cast was so memorable and had me rooting for the tragic characters redemption instead of just pitying them! T_T Gosh I feel just as same now that there aren't episodes to catch. 

I'm so glad you bought up Liao Yuan Jun--I miss him too! xD I also thought he was kinda cute too haha! I like how they bought back the water god as the human dad when JM was reborn into the human world. It would have been a nice wrap up if we saw Puchi, moon god, fate god and maybe even liao yuan jun revived since water god made a short appearance (even nicer if we see wind god too). 

One change from the novel I liked is JM loosing her sight of color because her world is now "black and white" and there's no such thing as black and white in life. I thought this was brilliant and deep! Back when she had color she could not see or understand love, but after losing her ability to do so she sees in it in black and white YET ironically nothing is black (XF) and white  (RY). OR....you can see she sees "greyness".

EDIT:

I also remember being interested in watching "seige in fog" after seeing sniplets on instagram. Recommendable? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Evangeline Yang said:

They have the chemistry, though is wasted that many plots have changed from Ep 12 onward (I have the original scripts from the 2nd group of editors that uploaded ep 1-31 and many people are comparing the diff between original and current drama and while some are happy that some phrases are changed and make it much sweeter when the 2 main leads were involved but some changed caused a lot of controversies that made Phoenix's character not just weaken but unethical.) I wished things can be changed but none. That is how China dramas are like at times when personal interests are involved.

If you have the time (and wouldn't mind !), could you tell us about a few Xu Feng scenes that were in the original script but not in the drama ?

It would be like deleted scenes and I would love to know about them.

• Like 2

Another review from a blogger about this gem  of  a novel remade drama.

https://cnewsdevotee.wordpress.com/2018/09/04/discussion-post-ashes-of-love-heavy-sweetness-ash-like-frost-episodes-45-63/#more-28626

Even though i have not watched the episodes after mortal reign i just followed this forum and really it was great reading the comments with you guys and enjoyed it.  I will wait till the ST's are out for all the episodes and also hope that the production team release all the edited scenes( i heard indeed they shot the  second MC but aired it with only a kiss:bawling:)and also the whole bts of our leads.  I loved all the ost's of this  drama.  They are really addicting.  Even though its over, i will be coming here to this thread and read the new posts.

So, now  everybody is looking  forward for DL-YZ modern drama.  I think they will surely do a project.  HOpe to see you guys in another drama thread.  

• Like 4

It has ended now right? what are people's thoughts on the ending and show overall. 

52 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

Another review from a blogger about this gem  of  a novel remade drama.

https://cnewsdevotee.wordpress.com/2018/09/04/discussion-post-ashes-of-love-heavy-sweetness-ash-like-frost-episodes-45-63/#more-28626

Even though i have not watched the episodes after mortal reign i just followed this forum and really it was great reading the comments with you guys and enjoyed it.  I will wait till the ST's are out for all the episodes and also hope that the production team release all the edited scenes( i heard indeed they shot the  second MC but aired it with only a kiss:bawling:)and also the whole bts of our leads.  I loved all the ost's of this  drama.  They are really addicting.  Even though its over, i will be coming here to this thread and read the new posts.

So, now  everybody is looking  forward for DL-YZ modern drama.  I think they will surely do a project.  HOpe to see you guys in another drama thread.  

DL and YZ mordern drama ;o 

Also s2? what is this ;p 

Ok so i was done watching fu yao and i was like crying so baaaaaad because i was sure i couldn't find something as good as it.. BUT when this started airing i was like no no it doesn't attract me at all etc LOL and just a few days ago (since there are so many spoilers on insta, i watched so many short videos of some episodes LOOOOOOL) i was like ok imma give it a try. At first i was like actress mehhhh actor mehhhh and the more i got into the drama the more i started to like. HELL YES IT'S BEEN TWO DAYS AND I'M ALREADY AT EPISODE 34. LOOOOOL. Ok it's soooooooo good, the story is so goooood and yes everything pretty much. Btw, i like the second lead actor more hahahaha and omg i cried so bad when we learnt about his past and etc :tears:... OK now i need to read this thread from the beginning haha! Also i'm SO glad i started the drama when almost all episodes were out so no waiting neeeeded! :wub:

• Like 6

17 hours ago, jehnnny99 said:

Trailer? for DL's new drama. I don't want to say this, but this doesn't look very good..... But that's 99% because I'm comparing it to HSALF. Also probably because the actress is *whispers* quite bad. It's funny to say this, but they really look like they're acting. How does a fantasy drama look more realistic than non-fantasy? 

Also kind of trailer for YZ's upcoming drama Go Go Squid! Looks better than DL's upcoming one but I can't really judge since this is more of a preview of a trailer lol. 

I agreed with you. DL's drama really does not look good. I don't have any expectations *Whisper* not only the actress...everyone seems like statues... DL's crying seems too forced... when did he learn to cry like that (may be because he did not filmed that in 40'C, hottest place :P joking)  Where did my XF goooo??? (may be they filmed this before HSALF) 

There is another DL's drama with Krystal which will broadcast in 2020. Have no expectation for that also. According to my experience, when two countries work together, nothing good come out of it. (I mean Drama!) 

As for YZ's drama. I do have some expectations. YZ always have right pick for drama. Her roles are mostly memorable. First time saw her in Ode to Joy (She did so well. I absolutely hate her love fool character) after that, watched Battle of Changsha and it totally justify her previous image to me. Absolutely love her. There are other good ones like Noble Aspiration, Destiny of White Snake. Her drama are usually good. 

Hope DL will come up with more awesome drama too. Especially, this year, he start his journey as main lead in a lot of drama and crack his previous prince charming image in HSALF. In the future, I especially would love to see him in BLACK!! Sexy Demon Lord. 

Edited by Tsubaki Tsubaki
  • Like 5

Despite the few disappointments from the second half of the drama, I still really like the drama. Even though I didn't really like Princess Demon and Mu Ci's long story, I still like their characters 'cause they played their character so well so it was tolerable. lol Night made me so much upset so that I found his character was unredeemable but dang, it's kind of hard to fully hate Night too. Haha. Uncle Moon Immortal and Pu Chi Jun were the life saver of the drama. They were the OTP's best wingman and fan ever. I really love their desire and many attempts to bring OTP together even though PCJ thinks otherwise at times. lol Xu Feng and Jin Mi was what kept me going. Even though the ending was satisfying, I still feel like there was still something missing. I mean, I still loved it. I just don't feel entirely complete, not 100% satisfied. Just 95%. lol

The last few episodes really made me tear up for each characters. My heart literally broke when they showed PCJ cry when Jin Mi died. He was her best friend, the greatest confidante one could ever ask for. It's a pity they did not show him or Uncle Moon Immortal after that scene. I really wish we got to see a bit more of them after that, to know that they're happy and doing well too. As for Sui He, she's done many evil things but the way they killed off her character at the end was extremely disturbing. I mean, she's reaping what she sowed but I couldn't swallow that scene at all. As for Night, I really hope he learned his lesson and will learn to start over. It was kind of sad seeing him all alone in heaven realm with just him, his deer and the girl guard. Looks like it's not as busy and jolly like it once was even though the previous emperor and empress was a joke. Jin Mi, she's been one pitiful character but I love her perseverance when it comes to XF. It kind of sucked not seeing her grieve XF's death but the change was fine. It was nice seeing her come to realize her love for XF and taking risks to amend their relationship despite XF's anger.  

Now, for Xu Feng. I can't believe my poor baby has to suffer so much throughout the drama. He's literally the most pitiful character ever. My heart broke for him so much. He had to suffer seeing Jin Mi dying in his arms 2x's. Heck, maybe even 3 times. Also, he had to wait thousands of years to reunite with her. What kind of ill-fated love is this? My heart broke when she came back alive from his tear only to disperse again. He was so desperate for her in that scene. It was such a painful scene to watch, in a good way.  The ending when he came back for her was sooooo stinkin' cute. Oh my gosh. I watched that scene like 1000+ times, but every time I watch that scene I'm reminded of their behind the scene banter moments. It just ruins it for me but of course in a good way too. lol I still want that behind the scene clip of YZ attacking DL as they were sitting down. I really want to know what went down 'cause she looked pissed when she hit him. LOL But seeing a less accessorized XF was something new. It was a shame that he gave up his throne but it was also understandable. I really love and miss his higher up looking days, especially as demon lord, but he looked so pure when he's just in normal attires and living a normal life with Jin Mi and his son. Ah, I will really miss this drama. It's been one heck of a ride with these two and Night. Hopefully they'll release the DVD soon. I really want one too. If someone finds out and knows where I, we all can purchase it, that'll be great. :)

Also, what I found funny is that XF has been trying to avoid war with the demon world for thousands of years when he was in the heaven realm, but war broke out between both realms when he became the demon lord and partially because of him. He didn't even seem to care that there's a war between both realms. Like, who would have thought? LOL But the war scene was gold. The CGI was amazing. I couldn't stop watching that scene, but I thought they did my XF dirty. He's suppose to be the god of war, but he was literally getting his butt whooped by Night. I mean, I understand it was because XF was at a bigger disadvantage due to the pill's side effect but dang. I still felt cheated. LOL 

I'm hoping and praying we get another YZ and DL drama soon too. I'm fine with either type genre for their next drama together, but please just let the drama be good and not a drag (or poorly written/produced). These two look so darn good together. It's crazy how they can have such great chemistry on and offscreen as close friends. I've seen many friends unable to illuminate such chemistry both on/offscreen even if they're close friends. YZ and DL, they're such a goals. Friendship goals. LOL I don't plan to watch any of their other dramas, sadly. Until then, I'll be waiting for another DL and YZ drama. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, rose_loves_ice said:

Despite the few disappointments from the second half of the drama, I still really like the drama. Even though I didn't really like Princess Demon and Mu Ci's long story, I still like their characters 'cause they played their character so well so it was tolerable. lol Night made me so much upset so that I found his character was unredeemable but dang, it's kind of hard to fully hate Night too. Haha. Uncle Moon Immortal and Pu Chi Jun were the life saver of the drama. They were the OTP's best wingman and fan ever. I really love their desire and many attempts to bring OTP together even though PCJ thinks otherwise at times. lol Xu Feng and Jin Mi was what kept me going. Even though the ending was satisfying, I still feel like there was still something missing. I mean, I still loved it. I just don't feel entirely complete, not 100% satisfied. Just 95%. lol

The last few episodes really made me tear up for each characters. My heart literally broke when they showed PCJ cry when Jin Mi died. He was her best friend, the greatest confidante one could ever ask for. It's a pity they did not show him or Uncle Moon Immortal after that scene. I really wish we got to see a bit more of them after that, to know that they're happy and doing well too. As for Sui He, she's done many evil things but the way they killed off her character at the end was extremely disturbing. I mean, she's reaping what she sowed but I couldn't swallow that scene at all. As for Night, I really hope he learned his lesson and will learn to start over. It was kind of sad seeing him all alone in heaven realm with just him, his deer and the girl guard. Looks like it's not as busy and jolly like it once was even though the previous emperor and empress was a joke. Jin Mi, she's been one pitiful character but I love her perseverance when it comes to XF. It kind of sucked not seeing her grieve XF's death but the change was fine. It was nice seeing her come to realize her love for XF and taking risks to amend their relationship despite XF's anger.  

Now, for Xu Feng. I can't believe my poor baby has to suffer so much throughout the drama. He's literally the most pitiful character ever. My heart broke for him so much. He had to suffer seeing Jin Mi dying in his arms 2x's. Heck, maybe even 3 times. Also, he had to wait thousands of years to reunite with her. What kind of ill-fated love is this? My heart broke when she came back alive from his tear only to disperse again. He was so desperate for her in that scene. It was such a painful scene to watch, in a good way.  The ending when he came back for her was sooooo stinkin' cute. Oh my gosh. I watched that scene like 1000+ times, but every time I watch that scene I'm reminded of their behind the scene banter moments. It just ruins it for me but of course in a good way too. lol I still want that behind the scene clip of YZ attacking DL as they were sitting down. I really want to know what went down 'cause she looked pissed when she hit him. LOL But seeing a less accessorized XF was something new. It was a shame that he gave up his throne but it was also understandable. I really love and miss his higher up looking days, especially as demon lord, but he looked so pure when he's just in normal attires and living a normal life with Jin Mi and his son. Ah, I will really miss this drama. It's been one heck of a ride with these two and Night. Hopefully they'll release the DVD soon. I really want one too. If someone finds out and knows where I, we all can purchase it, that'll be great. :)

Also, what I found funny is that XF has been trying to avoid war with the demon world for thousands of years when he was in the heaven realm, but war broke out between both realms when he became the demon lord and partially because of him. He didn't even seem to care that there's a war between both realms. Like, who would have thought? LOL But the war scene was gold. The CGI was amazing. I couldn't stop watching that scene, but I thought they did my XF dirty. He's suppose to be the god of war, but he was literally getting his butt whooped by Night. I mean, I understand it was because XF was at a bigger disadvantage due to the pill's side effect but dang. I still felt cheated. LOL 

I'm hoping and praying we get another YZ and DL drama soon too. I'm fine with either type genre for their next drama together, but please just let the drama be good and not a drag (or poorly written/produced). These two look so darn good together. It's crazy how they can have such great chemistry on and offscreen as close friends. I've seen many friends unable to illuminate such chemistry both on/offscreen even if they're close friends. YZ and DL, they're such a goals. Friendship goals. LOL I don't plan to watch any of their other dramas, sadly. Until then, I'll be waiting for another DL and YZ drama. 

Your last statement I hope the same.  I left the last 4 episodes for tomorrow.  I cannot bear for it to end either hehehe.  I will watch both upcoming drama from them but I know for sure the modern one of YZ is going to be another hit for her due to the novel and author of it fan following.  I am one of them.  Go check out the novel but this time my set of expectations will not be too high like I had for HSALF but overall I have been enjoying this drama immensely regardless of the filler episodes.  I was in it for JM and XF love story from the get go.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tenten0227 said:

Having withdrawals T^T 

24 minutes ago, Jackie Zhou said:

Yup 

Me three...I'm rewatching from the very start for the 3rd time already.

I skipped some of the not so related bits where my Phoenix and Jin mi are not there. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I've just watched episodes 55 & 56 with subs and continue to be very happy with what the drama has done with Xu Feng in the Demon Realm.

I had been reading spoilers before and many people seemed to be saying that Xu Feng was so dense about the Jin Mi / Sui He thing that the drama was extremely frustrating to watch because of his dumbed-down character. But actually watching the episodes didn't leave me with that impression at all. The writers did really great with his character.

I wrote a long post about episodes 53 & 54 and I will copy/paste some of it here so that I can follow up on 55 & 56 in a logical manner:

" I think the writers made it super clear that up to the Jin Mi/Sui He confrontation in the cave, Xu Feng was in love with Jin Mi (and was aware of it) and hadn't even really given up on her. He lashed out in different ways to hurt her in return and was a mess emotionally but he still desired her (he couldn't help stealing a kiss) and had no plans to marry anyone else, even to express gratitude. During the first part of the confrontation in the cave, he tried his best to get her to leave and only kept hurting her because she wouldn't give up on attacking Sui He. When he saw he wouldn't be able to make her leave, he resorted to the Phoenix feather to launch a final attack (this part is a bit shady because the feather was never described as a weapon before). That was when he was placed face to face with the true depth of his love for her in spite of everything and it shocked him. He knew he still had feeling s for her before this but here he had tangible proof of the extent of them. But the real blow came when Run Yu arrived to save Jin Mi. Seeing them together brought back the fact that they're a united front who successfully teamed up to kill him once already. This is when he really had to face what he probably calls his "stupidity".

The cave scene was the turning point for him. Believing Sui He in that moment was a matter of survival when it came to his sanity. He had no choice but to believe her in order to keep going or he would have ended up as dead as the first time, at least as far as he knew. That's when he changed his attitude and knew he had to sever all ties with Jin Mi in an irrevocable manner. Because I believe he kind of enjoyed torturing himself by purposefully letting her come seemingly unnoticed to the Demon Realm before. Each time he saw her he wavered and was stuck in this love/hate vicious circle. So he devised the cruelest way possible to hurt Jin Mi and ensure she would never come back to the Demon Realm. He deliberately used her petal to create the garden scene and carefully orchestrated the phoenix flower and the proposal to Sui He so that Jin Mi could watch. Even then, it almost killed him to give the petal back and sever all ties when it came down to it. He almost couldn't do it and it was clear that he was hurting himself just as much as he was hurting her by doing so.

He so clearly wanted to believe Jin Mi's declaration of love and her explanation but couldn't afford to and I can't blame him. Although Jin Mi's reasoning for convicting and killing Xu Feng was flimsy, he has true proof of her betrayal and nothing up to this point could have made him think otherwise."

Now on to episodes 55 & 56.

My fear was that Xu Feng would continue to brush off all criticisms against Sui He and that he would doggedly insist on marrying her to repay her kindness. It would have really been a case of character assassination because although Xu Feng himself knows he's not as devilishly clever as Run Yu, he's by no means stupid. He's actually pretty intelligent but it's just that Run Yu is on another level (had to be on another level in order to survive).

After he nearly kills himself by severing ties with Jin Mi, the next person who tries to set him straight is his Uncle. And although he seems to brush him off and sends him away immediately, he's clearly shaken and troubled by what he has heard. He goes from choosing to believe Sui He to considering her a possible suspect in the blink of an eye. I find it very telling because at this point he still has 0 proof of her crime. All the evidence points to her being a wronged woman who has been weakened while trying to save him. He doesn't go as far as convicting her but doubt has taken root, even with the indisputable fact that she is not supposed to know how to use glass fire.

He must be terrified of having made the wrong choice in the cave at this point. Because if Sui He has been lying all this time, what he has done to Jin Mi will be unforgivable and he won't be able to live with himself. He's got the self-hate thing going pretty strong.

The nail in the coffin comes when he sees the scar on Sui He's ear. He pretends to believe her but his brain is working at its full capacity and he notices straight away that the scar is pretty old and that she's lying. But I love the fact that, unlike Jin Mi, he needs absolute, tangible proof of her crime before he convicts her. His character has always been written as fair and honorable and he stays in character here.

Now, the question is, What would he have done if he had not seen the scar? I want to believe that the doubts he started having after his uncle's visit would have been enough for him not to go through with the wedding. It would be in character for him to try and investigate more. He proposed marriage to Sui He to hurt Jin Mi and drive her away. He also proposed in order to hold himself accountable to his decision of severing ties with Jin Mi. He figures that, being married to another woman, he will be honor-bound to stop thinking of Jin Mi and it will keep his feelings in check so to speak. Doomed to failure but poor boy doesn't know that. 

He has no tender feelings for Sui Hi other than being grateful she saved him. He can't help but despise any physical contact between him and her, except when he knew Jin Mi was watching (or when Sui He guilt-trips him about the fact she lost everything to save him). It's instinctive rather than intentional. His love for Jin Mi is so deep that he can't bear touching or being touched by another woman. His whole being literally lives for her: body, heart, soul and phoenix feather (his mind is in a complete mess though ^^). In the scene where Sui He tries to help him when the pill is malfunctioning, he uses 0 care to get her off him and she falls to the ground. He would have never been so forceful with Jin Mi, even post wedding. 

After the proposal scene did its jobs of dealing Jin Mi a deadly blow, I think his lack of true affection and his doubts would have kept troubling him. I don't think he could have married a woman he had such doubts about without trying to clarify things first. 

And now the wait begins for the last 4 episodes. I had told myself I would wait until the drama was fully subbed before watching episodes 50-60 but I couldn't help myself. I was mostly afraid of being frustrated with Xu Feng's behavior regarding Sui He and Jin Mi so I wanted to be able to go to the good parts quickly, without having to wait days or weeks for new episodes to come out. But since I'm super satisfied with Xu Feng's arc, that fear has gone now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@missnymeria.... That is the exact impression I got watching it raw. His facial expression said it all. There are a lot of examples For examples, Grape, the rabbit he set free, in each of these scenes. His eyes was on her. You can clearly see the pain in his eyes. The problem with Jin Mi is that when she is with Xu Feng she always say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing. She just can't help herself.  Thanks for letting me know it has been subbed. :heart::heart: 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@missnymeria.... That is the exact impression I got watching it raw. His facial expression said it all. There are a lot of examples For examples, Grape, the rabbit he set free, in each of these scenes. His eyes was on her. You can clearly see the pain in his eyes. The problem with Jin Mi is that when she is with Xu Feng she always say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing. She just can't help herself.  Thanks for letting me know it has been subbed. :heart::heart: 

The absolutely worst thing she could have said is the thing that Xu Feng is hung up about and doesn't dare to forget: that she had never loved him. It's clearly what stayed with him the most. It's so heartbreaking that these were the last words he heard before he died . When he was brought back to life, "Jin Mi" is the first thing he said, before remembering what happened. Poor boy.

In his mind she would have no reason to lie to him when she said those words. After all, she had just dealt him a killing blow, why lie at that precise moment? These words became his devastating truth and that's what really killed his spirit. So in the Demon Realm he's working under the assumption that all the sweet things she says can't be anything but a lie.

There was literally nothing she could say that would have been right unfortunately.

It's a proof of his deep and undying devotion that he is actually moved by everything that she says, although he despises himself for it. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, missnymeria said:

The absolutely worst thing she could have said is the thing that Xu Feng is hung up about and doesn't dare to forget: that she had never loved him. It's clearly what stayed with him the most. It's so heartbreaking that these were the last words he heard before he died . When he was brought back to life, "Jin Mi" is the first he said, before remembering what happened. Poor boy.

In his mind she would have no reason to lie to him when she said those words. After all, she had just dealt him a killing blow, why lie at that precise moment? These words became his devastating truth and that's what really killed his spirit. So in the Demon Realm he's working under the assumption that all the sweet things she says can't be anything but a lie.

There was literally nothing she could say that would have been right unfortunately.

It's a proof of his deep and undying devotion that he is actually moved by everything that she says, although he despises himself for it. 

@missnymeria..... The moment Xu Feng met Jin Mi, he listened to every word she said to him. She was so forward with him, that he would sometimes forget that she was naive, innocent and so honest. It was because of those characteristic that made him fall in love with her.  Now if Run Yu did not fix the crack on the yun Pill , she would have never said those words. If she wasn't shown the dream of her parents dying , she would have never killed him like that. If she hadn't seen power rise and the flashback of her parent's murder would not have been triggered her hatred to the murderer. 

It was such a touching scene when he woke up and said her name . He also touched his cheeks to where the tears fell on his cheeks. 

• Like 3