[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, xienrue said:

Have not watched today episodes, but based on the spoiler all of you posted here, I think I will not like it very much. Might as well postponed the watching and wait for the sub. In the mean time, I will continue my watching from beginning with sub (I am at episode 17).

While the drama has lots of fault, I need to give my praise to the war scene. That is a very gorgeous cinematography and CGI. Not to mention that I finally can see Xu Feng in "God of War" persona. When I watched that scene, I thought why they couldn't give us something like this from the beginning?

The change of Jin Mi and Xu Feng reconciliation timing is also good, even though I still felt that it is far too simple and too easy. I like the conversation flow in the novel better, because in that I feel Xu Feng finally get his time to "finish" his temper tantrum (a very justified temper tantrum in my opinion). But since the drama change gives them more time to be lovey dovey, fine, I will swallow my frustration.

I also like the addition of how Run Yu and Xu Feng brotherly relationship is more or less mended. This is consistent with how the brothers relationship depicted in the early episode. Perhaps from all the addition that the drama did, this is the one that I like the most. Run Yu gets his punishment (loneliness is pretty harsh punishment that cannot be compared with physical punishment) but in the end he should finally realize that he has done his brother a very terrible thing. And he was never alone or lacks of love from the beginning. Xu Feng was always there beside him despite his mother displeasure. It was Run Yu himself that chose to not see that and let himself be consumed by hate. He might not regret killing the Heavenly Empress and taking the throne but he surely regret that in doing that he literally (however indirectly) killed his own brother.

By the way, am I the only one who is annoyed because Xu Feng let go of his demon throne? I like him as Demon Lord and in the novel, he stays as one. In a way, it showcases Jin Mi love when she let go of everything and choose to stay with him in the Demon realm. It is like "home is where you are" kind of thing .....

I totally feel you. It makes him seem weak in the drama.

But nonetheless, I did also believe that why he gave up the throne. Because in heaven, flower and demon realm, they went through a lot and for them to restart, is best to find a place where their love truly begins which is the mortal realm. They go back to where JM first saved him as a maiden healer and when he was a king. Then they go back to the house. Those are the purest moment when love truly start from both sides and when she knew how to love. But sadly, the editors never explore much. We got to imagine it by catching the hints.

55 minutes ago, Araminta Jouana said:

It ended....

Frankly, the ending is still having XF x JM being together AND having a sweet boy together (the bonus was JM's dad). I am satisfied.

It could have been worse. Sometimes, it happens.

But what i cant accept is SH's end. It was inacceptable.

WTF ! Ending in the hands of creeps to be sexually abused ? Is how they see the good ending of a villain ?!

SH wasn't so bad, frankly, from her perspective, killing an enemy's loved one is not so atrocious (it's logical, JM is a hated rival). I wasn't shocked.

What shocked me is XF's moral judgement (i accepted it because i am biased toward XF, it's all). He could have been more accepting of her side. He is this kind of character but it didn't showed at all. The better ending should have been to just not to mention SH and letting everything to our imagination (her being imprisoned...).

She actually didn't get sexually abused. She was being eaten. The same fate that she sent her ex-right hand man who betrayed her too. But I also can't accept this. Because too cruel.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I also can't accept SH's ending. She was not that bad for a villain. Like I dont get how you justify RunYu just being alone while SH had to suffer that. I would say RY is responsible for way more bad deeds that SH. I felt that it was very unfair and way too cruel what they did to her. I don't think XF should have let that happened. The book did it better. 

• Like 5

I just wanna say the acting was great in this show.  I especially liked Ren Yu. That being said, I agree with everyone, the book's ending is the best.  What I liked about the drama is that it fills in a lot of plot holes left by the book.  I wish they'd release an uncut version of this, it'd be nice to see what was taken out.  Oh, and I don't quite understand SH ending... I think they should've battled it out SH and JM.  That fight scene (can I even call it that), and in the end XF is the one who intervened...  weak sauce

• Like 3

I loved this drama bez of the main couples. The first 1-35 eps was so good but they changed the drama to give more screen time for the other characters which caused a lot of arguments between viewers and book fans. Even the screenwriter and the producer fighting online. Originally drama was 36 eps turn into 63 eps, we may not know who is telling the truth but I want to say all of the actors and actresses did their best. I think every single one of them did a great job... Hurray to them!!! If I can stomach 20+ eps main couple not together from General and I drama then this drama is way better than that one. Haha

This drama is not perfect bez all of the changes but at least it’s good. 

I loved how XF loves JM so much. Also JM continually trying to prove to XF that she loves XF at the end. 

Sometime love is valuable, selfish, lovely, scary and great.

These two tragic immortals were destiny to go thru these tragic events to finally be together which prove loves can withstand misunderstandings and betrayals. Love it..

I will watch any drama/movies from Deng Lun and Yang Zi. They are so cute. Deng Lun best attribute is his eyes bez he can express his emotional very well with his single eyelids. I originally thought his single lids were not so nice but he prove me wrong. His eyes are his best quality. 

Anyways, I wished they showed moon or snake immortal what happen to them but at least the book gave us closure so I am going to consider that. Haha

See everyone at the next drama.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sorein said:

They really shoved her hard in our face without any reason as she was absolutely not important in the book and didn’t bring anything interesting to the drama. 

While she might indeed have some powerful backing to get her more screen time, I think her extended role was necessary to make the drama complete as a layered story and not just as a romance. Introducing her early established her as a sympathetic character close to Xu Feng and who could believably help and pave the way for him for his Demon Realm arc. Sure, they should have cut some of her stuff, but on the whole it made the Demon Realm arc not feel so rushed and coming out of nowhere despite the very few numbers of episodes they dedicated to it.

• Like 2

Giving the drama 8 out of 10.

It was a good adaptation but certainly could have been better. The biggest issue being, the storytelling and editing. The way was paved. The novel was already written. Why did they get so lost? I certainly didn't mind the additional side stories when it added to the main storyline or OTP. But what infuriates me still is they removed essential OTP interactions and aired the rubbish fillers instead. That ending was disappointing. Had they even just removed one Mu Ci related scene, we would have had at least 10 minutes more of OTP time.

Is Jin Mi wearing the Phoenix feather? And is she mortal or immortal?

And before I forget, thanks everyone for the lively discussion, translations, and spoilers the last few weeks. You certainly helped ease the frustration. 

• Like 10

I'm soo happy that it's a happy ending. I cried in pain of them being separated and Phoenix looking for her, but soo happy in tears that he finally found her. 

I agree that they should of at least gave us a kiss. Like when he went to stop the wedding, he could of kissed her then. Either way, I really love the ending and soo happy it turned out well. 

I don't like what happened to SH, like it just ended like that for her. That was really cruel to just let it ended like that for her. As for the demon princess, I'm glad she finally took over and is doing well, would of wished she got her love one, too. For Night, I think he deserved that being alone with nothing but the servant girl and his night beast. It's pretty to show him that that is how it is when you are the way you are. No one wants to be with you or help you. 

I really like all the closure to this drama.

• Like 4

Love the happy ending but this drama does not do the book much good at half way afterward. This drama could of cut at least 10+ episode of unnecessary scenes and story. The ending was rushed and I wished they portrayed Jimin's view more of when she was a tear. I wanted to see Xu Feng looks at grapes every day, the unfeeling pill testing, how she worry what their baby's original form will be, and a real mutual cultivation scene :wub:. Overall the drama was full of ups and downs but Yang Zi and Deng Lun did really well with both their character. They got good chemistry and they were able to portray really good raw emotions. It was also fun following up with all the chats and spoilers with everyone here on the forum. Thanks!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

I also can't accept SH's ending. She was not that bad for a villain. Like I dont get how you justify RunYu just being alone while SH had to suffer that. I would say RY is responsible for way more bad deeds that SH. I felt that it was very unfair and way too cruel what they did to her. I don't think XF should have let that happened. The book did it better. 

Not that bad? She schemed from day one and teamed up with every single villain. She killed 2+ people including two supreme immortals and tried to kill Jin Mi too several times. Etc.

She and the Empress deserve what they got. I think the Emperor was not as bad; he  at least sacrificed himself as he realised everything was his fault.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, missnymeria said:

While she might indeed have some powerful backing to get her more screen time, I think her extended role was necessary to make the drama complete as a layered story and not just as a romance. Introducing her early established her as a sympathetic character close to Xu Feng and who could believably help and pave the way for him for his Demon Realm arc. Sure, they should have cut some of her stuff, but on the whole it made the Demon Realm arc not feel so rushed and coming out of nowhere despite the very few numbers of episodes they dedicated to it.

Some screen time, ok, but I think she literally had the same screen time as Night or the lead couple. Her romance with her lover was totally unnecessary to me and they had zero chemistry. I really don’t get why they forced another couple upon us when they should have given us a proper ending for the otp.  :(

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, sorein said:

Not that bad? She schemed from day one and teamed up with every single villain. She killed 2+ people including two supreme immortals and tried to kill Jin Mi too several times. Etc.

She and the Empress deserve what they got. I think the Emperor was not as bad; he  at least sacrificed himself as he realised everything was his fault.

I second this. I think SH got what she deserved. I mean even the scene where she had the two Demon prince tortured shows how bad her character is.

• Like 4

The last four episodes were awesome! Almost made up for the part in the middle of the drama that was sort of a mess. With the demon princess and her lover plot and Night taking over screen time from our OTP couple. I keep replaying that battle scene in episode 61 over and over again when Phoenix flew in it was like "Lord of Rings" vibes. The ending was happy and it was just like "Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms"just a fine happy ending. Could it have been better?  Yes. Still what bugs me the most is I wanted a second mutual cultivation scene and I didn't get it.:tears:

All the actors were amazing especially our three leads but in my opinion it was Deng Lun and Yang Zi's chemistry that saved the show and kept me invested. I'm now a Deng Lun and Yang Zi fan! 

I really enjoyed reading all everyone's comments and chatting with everybody I'm going to miss that. I don't know what I'm going to do if my life is over.:tears:

• Like 6

I am saving the last 4 episodes.....all the spoilers I have read "BIG SIGHS!" AND so disappointed they didn't include all after marriage shanigans epilogues like in the novel from what everyone has stated here.  With those I can easily forgive and have the screenwriters redeem themselves. But no....I hope the DVD special have all cut scenes.  This will be my Friday night treat still cannot bear it to end.  My fave OTP by far because it was my most fave novel, my first.  Cannot forget your first!!!! LOL  ok end of rant.  I am now a huge fan of both Yang Zi and Deng Lun.  If rumours are true, I hope they have a reunion in the near future. 

Off topic but I will move on to Yang Zi's New drama Go Go Squid, same production team as Love 020!!!!  My 2nd fave novel English translated "stewed squid with honey (maybe see some of you there).  

Any future projects for Deng Lun?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Sary Em said:

I am saving the last 4 episodes.....all the spoilers I have read "BIG SIGHS!" AND so disappointed they didn't include all after marriage shanigans epilogues like in the novel from what everyone has stated here.  With those I can easily forgive and have the screenwriters redeem themselves. But no....I hope the DVD special have all cut scenes.  This will be my Friday night treat still cannot bear it to end.  My fave OTP by far because it was my most fave novel, my first.  Cannot forget your first!!!! LOL  ok end of rant.  I am now a huge fan of both Yang Zi and Deng Lun.  If rumours are true, I hope they have a reunion in the near future. 

Off topic but I will move on to Yang Zi's New drama Go Go Squid, same production team as Love 020!!!!  My 2nd fave novel (maybe see some of you there).  

Does the DVD special have Eng subs? I have never purchased one for a Chinese drama before.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sary Em said:

I know that he's gonna be a part of "The Gods" but he's not one of the main character. Really loving his acting and waiting to see if there's anything new for him. I literally finished Sweet Dreams and jumped right into this drama. It was all worth it. I didn't have to wait. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

Does the DVD special have Eng subs? I have never purchased one for a Chinese drama before.

I have no idea either about DVD available in Eng subs.  But I will be buying it if they include specials...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, turtle0217 said:

I know that he's gonna be a part of "The Gods" but he's not one of the main character. Really loving his acting and waiting to see if there's anything new for him. I literally finished Sweet Dreams and jumped right into this drama. It was all worth it. I didn't have to wait. :lol:

Me too, stalking his old dramas lol. I haven't fully watched his drama with Dilreba and his first one "Because of meeting you" with another actress.  And skimming his first time drama with Yang Zi.  That one had way too many characters lol....but they got married!  I just don't see the same chemistry with those actresses like he has with Yang Zi...but I may be biased....lol.  

I shall give his next drama a go.  Confession I didn't even watch Princess Agents due to Open ending....I only watch HE...but I heard from others that Deng Lun did so well in there as the Prince.  I may go back just to watch his scenes in there.  Admitting to my fangirling lol.

• Like 3

He also  has Hai Tang Jing Yu Yan Zhi Tou 海棠经雨胭脂透. It was supposed to come out in June but got pushed back.

006AWDa8gy1frm6dblm04g30nk0dc1kz.gif

006AWDa8gy1frm6d6xb5zg30nk0dchdt.gif

I'm probably gonna watch it just for his smiles!!! :D

========

Even though I wished there could have been more romance between otp towards the end, I'm satisfied they got their closure and have their happy ending. I too wished he'd at least kept his demon title!! Well, it is what it is. Phoenix only cares about being with Jinmi so to him losing his status as demon lord isn't that important to him.

Thank you everyone for all the roller-coaster of feels!!!

If you're on Viki, I'm pikajun. Join me as I trash talk the characters I don't much care for!! :ph34r:

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

15 Interesting Things About Ashes of Love (Heavy Sweetness Ashlike Frost)

Ashes of Love Yang Zi Deng Lun
Ashes of Love 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 airs its finale tonight. It is the one drama this year that I am having a hard time parting with because in spite of all the off-screen drama, it has been an emotionally satisfying ride, that is, if you find it cathartic for your heart to be in a constant state of anguish. 

I love that show has the ability to do that though and have turned to behind-the-scenes clips to stave off the angst. Thus comes this compilation of random things that you may also find interesting. 

Ashes of Love Deng Lun Winter

1. Ashes of Love was shot in the summer. That scene where Deng Lun travelled six realms wearing mink in the winter was filmed outdoors in scorching heat. 

Ashes of Love Deng Lun Where Are We Going, Dad?
When A Lalei visited the set for Season 5 of Where Are We Going, Dad?Deng Lun showed her around by taking her to the the infamous soundstage - the place that he considers the hottest place on earth

Ashes of Love Electric Fan
No wonder the cast is always armed with mini fans. According to Leo Luo Yunxi, the temperature reached as high as 56°C.

Ashes of Love

Ashes of Love
Yang Zi said that it's really challenging to film emotional scenes when it's hot as scenes are shot continuously. During the scene with Run Yu where she discovers the truth about him, she was soaking in sweat. Her makeup smeared and her fake lashes came off, but they had to keep going.

Ashes of Love Leo Luo Yunxi Dragon
2. Although Yang Zi is the most experienced among the leads as she started out as a child actress, she and Deng Lun are the same age, both born in 1992. Luo Yunxi is 4 years older than them. He was born in 1988, the Year of the Dragon.

Ashes of Love Deng Lun and Yang Zi
3. Deng Lun's very first acting role was the 2013 drama Flowers in Fog where he played a couple with Yang Zi. They worked together again in Ode to Joy 2 although not as a couple. Ashes of Love is their third drama together. 

Ashes of Love Deng Lun and Yang Zi
4. As the two are good friends, Deng Lun said that they're too familiar with each other. Yang Zi is like a man to him since they're like brothers or even sisters. As he told Yang Zi that he doesn't feel anything when he kisses her, she started eating garlic and durian out. Completely at her mercy, he'll ask why she can't rinse her mouth and complain that she shouldn't be like that, why is she picking on him. 

Ashes of Love Deng Lun

Ashes of Love Deng Lun little fat hands

Ashes of Love Deng Lun little fat hands
5. Deng Lun's hands are trending as little fat hands 小胖手. Yang Zi gave him a lot of grief after being very amused that his face and body didn't match his hands. His defence - it runs in the family and chubby hands are auspicious for catching money 抓钱手

Ashes of Love original dubbing
Ashes of Love original dubbing Yang Zi

Ashes of Love original dubbing Deng Lun
Ashes of Love original dubbing Luo Yunxi
6. Yang Zi, Deng Lun and Luo Yunxi dubbed their own voices for the drama. The rest of the cast were dubbed by voice actors. 

Ashes of Love Xia Zhiyuan
7. Known as an old man under the moon, Yue Lao 月老 is the god of marriage in Chinese mythology and his birthday is on the Mid-Autumn Festival. Xia Zhiyuan who plays the elderly character probably makes the youngest Yue Lao in history. 

Ashes of Love Sa Dingding
8. Sa Dingding who plays Yuan Ji is a Chinese singer. She sang the ending theme song Upwards to the Moon 左手指月 and was involved in producing the other songs in the drama, one of which is a duet sung by Yang Zi andDeng Lun.

Deng%2BLun%2BAshes%2Bof%2BLove%2BGod%2Bof%2BWar.png
9. Xu Feng's god of war costume in the Heaven Realm took the longest to make. It is also the heaviest costume in the entire drama. Because his character is a Phoenix, he had a lot of dark red imbued into his costumes. 

Ashes of Love Qiong Qi
10. Although the character barely had any speaking lines, Qiong Qi's makeup is the most elaborate in the Demon Realm. The actor had to start makeup at 1 to 2 in the morning and stay for a duration of six hours.

Ashes of Love Leo Luo Yunxi
11. The costumes evolve as the story progresses. For example, the theme behind Run Yu's clothing at the beginning was white or light blue to represent purity. As he was overcome with ambition, gray, silver and gold embellishments were added as an accessory or embroidered onto the costume. 

Ashes of Love Sex Scene
12. According to Director Chu Yui-bun, the mutual cultivation between Jin Mi and Xu Feng (ahem love scene) was hard to film. The crew had to come up with a way to integrate the surroundings to make it beautiful and romantic. Since then, I could never look at the opening theme the same way again.

Ashes of Love Wang Renjun
13. Wang Renjun who plays Water immortal and Jin Mi's father is only 5 years older than Luo Yunxi. Wang Renjun gained many fans for playing the perfect man, loving father and good husband. Wang Yuanke who plays Wind Immortal was in another hit drama when Ashes of Love was airing. She plays Consort Chun in Story of Yanxi Palace

Ashes of Love Flower Realm

Ashes of Love Heaven Realm

Ashes of Love Demon Realm
14. Fantasy dramas rely heavily on CGI. However, Director Chu stressed the need to have 70% real sets that are enhanced by 30% CGI for a grander look. 

Ashes of Love Costumes
15. Twenty sets were built for the show. At one point, fifteen sets were constructed at the same time and covered an area of 100,000 square meters. There were 6,000 kinds of props and 20,000 props in total. There were 3,000 pieces of clothing in total. The male and female lead had around 30 costumes each. 

cr: dramapanda.com
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6