[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

35 minutes ago, jehnnny99 said:

@thehumantree I've been going on those tags whenever I have time - it's like an addiction!! Although, I do hope that they don't announce a romantic relationship immediately. I think at this point, both parties are contemplating on the relationship between the two; they've always defined their relationship as 'friendship', but I think it can develop to more than that, they just need to stop convincing themselves as much as they're trying to convince everyone else that they are just 'friends'. It's quite obvious that they have a spark, and I think shooting this drama and seeing all the support from fans have made them realise that their friendship is bordering on possibly something a bit more. Perhaps rekindling some emotions they felt when they shot their first drama at such a young age, because even during the BTS of their first drama, they seemed very comfortable with each other and had the same spark they do in the BTS of HSALF. 

From reading and watching videos of them, I think they are both very dedicated people who are passionate about acting. HSALF showed us their true potential, and the reason why we fell in love with the drama was that their chemistry was so palpable, it really portrayed the feeling of 'love' to the point it didn't even feel like acting anymore. As of right now, I think they will be focusing on their career, because if they interact with each other too much, people will slander them and say they are riding on the success of HSALF and promoting it by faking their relationship ( esp since YZ just recently broke up ). I wish them the best for the future, and I truly do believe they will reunite again at one point in the future when the initial hype has calmed down, and then we can once again enjoy their dazzling on-screen and off-screen chemistry. 

I feel like every time I post on here, it's not related to the drama at all and I'm just promoting YZ and DL as a couple lol. 

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av30963233?from=1110006030&weiboauthoruid=5706540063

Anyway, this is a cute clip of China's national couple. I've put this on the thread to share with you guys but it's also for me to click on when I'm using my phone and want my heart to flutter lol. Selfish, I know :P

@Sary EmLet's do it! Let's create the thread for our Spiritual Couple!!

Ready when you are @jehnnny99Spiritual Besties indeed it we can hashtag #YangLun or #DengZi lol...whatever becomes of them I hope within the next 2 years we have a reunion.  Doesn't matter which genre but of course happy ending please.  I know rumours have it from fans that the Chinese version of What's Wrong with Secretary Kim is trending for them....I love that KDrama so far for 2018

• Like 1

Hai there 

iv been lurking since the first 10th episode of ashes of love...this is my first time shipping chinese couple so hard and beyond obssession....and also this is the first entry for me since 2018 in soompi forum after successfully sailing our ship for songsongcouple :glasses:...

Now for those comrads that hv the same frequency of my-crazy-lil-beyond-spiritual-mind  ...letss spazzing guyss... for our beloved #YangLun #DengZi ....Please Open the Couple thread already.........

:bawling:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

The difference between TV version and DVD version is how they cut the episodes to include commercials. When episodes air on TV, they add like 15 minutes + of commercials in between the two episodes. This amount of commercial varies, I guess they do some real time tracking for ratings. But some episodes are shorter while others are longer, etc. They also have a recap of the previous episodes and a preview of the next episodes. When we see episodes online, we don't see any of that. But that difference adds up and that is why episode count differs from DVD to TV version. At least that is my understanding of it. 

But the 63-episode version posted online doesn't have recap or commercials and the episodes still seem to be the same length as the ones in the 60-episode version. That's why I'm confused. I was expecting something around 40 minutes so as to add up to 3 more episodes but they all seem to be 44-45 minutes, like the dvd version.

Good Morning - okay - at least where I live it is morning.

So I finally managed to watch the last episodes until the last with subs. And it is still so hard to let go for me. I must say - i love the final after knowing the words more - but I am still sad because they forgot about wonderful Moon and Snake (hey - without them JM would be the Empress in the end and very very lonely and sad.... give them the credit).

But the last words where perfect... His Smile is the most beautiful scenery to her - and not only to her.

I am a bit late - sorry - but I need to say thank you to all of you here - for the spoiler (the rescue of my days in that long waiting time). I loved to come here and read all the comments and share my meaning too. I already miss that. I am still like - where is the preview - I need more.  Listen to the ending song so often - watching the clips I collected.

Oh damn - its really difficult to get over this Drama. I am so greatful for it.

(by the way - is there a thread for Deng Lun somewhere in soompi?

edit: YES - Found it!!!! )

• Like 2

Heyyy, so um, new here.  I Hope you don't mind, but I have some thoughts.

Been lurking a bit, since I cant get this drama off of my mind augh.  And more or less I really don't get caught up in dramas, and am super picky since (oh boy I know this'll sound pretentious, and I apologize in avance) I tend to look at things with a bit of a sociopolitical eye and so many things drive me nuts.   And yeah, there were some things like that in HSALF, but most of my qualms are pretty minor.  There were some great things pertaining to politics (and sociology) as well.  Like I loved how XF was so filial, and just wanted to serve his parents, but after losing them(an even before), realizing they were so corrupt.  I loved how power was framed in this.   Like how those in power got there by .. well... being awful and murderous, doing whatever it took to gain power.  And for what?      

I don't know what it is, but manipulative dudes make me so uncomfortable and angry - RY was such a good villain.  Like most of the time I can't be bothered to dislike villainous characters since it's a waste of my time - but I could barely look at RY, from the moment he started to manipulate Water Deity, JM, and etc.  I know SH and the first Empress (and Emperor) are all awful too, but RY made me the most uncomfortable.  Maybe 'cause he's one  who presents as "nice" is the reason I find him so insidious.  The parallels of that argument between Water and Emperor where they're talking about Zi Fen as Water who truly loved her and Emperor who wanted to possess her, are pretty stark when contrasted to Phoenix/Night.

I love Jin Mi's character - and will always be a sucker for genuinely kind characters.  YZ is great.

Am I the only one who actually likes how Phoenix was written?  I mean - not all the time, but in general.  (I didn't always care for how he was written as King Yi)  But As I've watched & re-watched, He's quite an interesting character.   one of the first things that struck me was from start to end, he's very protective of himself. (At JMs hut, where he threatens to eat her "Ah forget it she's not a danger to me", from his time in the demon realm, where he's scared of being hurt again, so he does things out of his nature).  He's always there for his brother (even though Night complains "I have no one") and his friends, does whatever he can to help.  He doesn't want to fight over JM, with RY.  He doesn't want to lose their brotherly relationship.  He gives credit where credit is due and is happy to reward.  He has no ulterior motives, no desire for political power - he often thinks with his heart (and I think DL plays him fantastically.)

Despite all that, XF's still a pawn of his parents and he can't easily see their faults from on his high horse.  He's rude to people who are in a lower station than him, he can be arrogant and pushy.  It's very contrasting to his actual inner softness.  Kinda like how he "should" be as a second prince, God of War/God of Fire vs how he really is.           

Apologies again if I'm sounding pretentious - I haven't been able to stop thinking about these things.     

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, bluesytb said:

Apologies again if I'm sounding pretentious - I haven't been able to stop thinking about these things.    

The Show is over - but new people join the thread - I guess that says a lot. :D

You are not the only one - still thinking about it. I must try hard to stop me.

Yes - Phönix Character is wonderful written if you ask me - and I love it that he was never without faults too... so blind to all the evil doing from the parents and the pain from his brother.

But what I love to much about the Drama is that both - Phönix and JM in the end needed all that hard times to understand that it was wrong to see the world as black and white before. Both did this.

For me Night was a great villian because even he got very evil you could still see that deep inside - he is not. He was never rotten to the core and his greed for power was not (as I saw it) just greed to become mighty - he in the start thought he needed to become the most powerful so he can protect what is importend to him. And was he so wrong? No - he could do nothing against his father and his wife. I still understand why he need to get rid of those two who ruined his life and the life of his mother and the whole water clan. Sure - it was about revange too... but I can´t blame him for that.

Great - I tried to get over it little by little - coming here was no help... but I guess I just need to give up. Phönix will become like Wang So to me - a Character I can never forget. But in the end this time - I got a happy end for him - and thats so good for my poor heart.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluesytb said:

Heyyy, so um, new here.  I Hope you don't mind, but I have some thoughts.

Been lurking a bit, since I cant get this drama off of my mind augh.  And more or less I really don't get caught up in dramas, and am super picky since (oh boy I know this'll sound pretentious, and I apologize in avance) I tend to look at things with a bit of a sociopolitical eye and so many things drive me nuts.   And yeah, there were some things like that in HSALF, but most of my qualms are pretty minor.  There were some great things pertaining to politics (and sociology) as well.  Like I loved how XF was so filial, and just wanted to serve his parents, but after losing them(an even before), realizing they were so corrupt.  I loved how power was framed in this.   Like how those in power got there by .. well... being awful and murderous, doing whatever it took to gain power.  And for what?      

I don't know what it is, but manipulative dudes make me so uncomfortable and angry - RY was such a good villain.  Like most of the time I can't be bothered to dislike villainous characters since it's a waste of my time - but I could barely look at RY, from the moment he started to manipulate Water Deity, JM, and etc.  I know SH and the first Empress (and Emperor) are all awful too, but RY made me the most uncomfortable.  Maybe 'cause he's one  who presents as "nice" is the reason I find him so insidious.  The parallels of that argument between Water and Emperor where they're talking about Zi Fen as Water who truly loved her and Emperor who wanted to possess her, are pretty stark when contrasted to Phoenix/Night.

I love Jin Mi's character - and will always be a sucker for genuinely kind characters.  YZ is great.

Am I the only one who actually likes how Phoenix was written?  I mean - not all the time, but in general.  (I didn't always care for how he was written as King Yi)  But As I've watched & re-watched, He's quite an interesting character.   one of the first things that struck me was from start to end, he's very protective of himself. (At JMs hut, where he threatens to eat her "Ah forget it she's not a danger to me", from his time in the demon realm, where he's scared of being hurt again, so he does things out of his nature).  He's always there for his brother (even though Night complains "I have no one") and his friends, does whatever he can to help.  He doesn't want to fight over JM, with RY.  He doesn't want to lose their brotherly relationship.  He gives credit where credit is due and is happy to reward.  He has no ulterior motives, no desire for political power - he often thinks with his heart (and I think DL plays him fantastically.)

Despite all that, XF's still a pawn of his parents and he can't easily see their faults from on his high horse.  He's rude to people who are in a lower station than him, he can be arrogant and pushy.  It's very contrasting to his actual inner softness.  Kinda like how he "should" be as a second prince, God of War/God of Fire vs how he really is.           

Yeah, I always got the impression that Phoenix was never interested in the throne and that he loved his older brother despite the haranguing that he gets from his mother regarding the throne and the brother. He seemed a bit impulsive and not as responsible as Night. He wears his heart on his sleeve and was never really an evil manipulator and he owns up to his mistakes when he realizes it. I think his father knew from the very beginning that Night would be a better Emperor hence the emperor's hesitation to actually name Phoenix the crown prince. Like what Pu Chi said to Jin Mi, she didn't have what it takes to be the heavenly empress because she was kind. The same goes for Phoenix, he didn't have what it takes to be the emperor because he valued love and the woman he loves above all else.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

For me Night was a great villian because even he got very evil you could still see that deep inside - he is not. He was never rotten to the core and his greed for power was not (as I saw it) just greed to become mighty - he in the start thought he needed to become the most powerful so he can protect what is importend to him. And was he so wrong? No - he could do nothing against his father and his wife. I still understand why he need to get rid of those two who ruined his life and the life of his mother and the whole water clan. Sure - it was about revange too... but I can´t blame him for that.

I think the biggest thing about him, imho (and I think someone else here said something along the same lines) is that he treated Jin Mi as an object.  Everything he did, took away her humanity (and his own at that) and agency.  One of my favourite scenes was her telling him off  after she overheard SH talking to him  . 

I understand that he wanted revenge, and maybe was not particularly wrong in doing so, (and even so, an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind) but his treatment of JM and XF are inexcusable.  I'm not saying he  didn't have a tragic backstory, he did and was treated very poorly - but many people have been through worse and  would have never stooped to such a level.     Like I completely understand overthrowing the throne (and even more so the monarchy) but I will never understand dehumanizing and manipulating people for your own gain.   

24 minutes ago, ElleSor said:

Yeah, I always got the impression that Phoenix was never interested in the throne and that he loved his older brother despite the haranguing that he gets from his mother regarding the throne and the brother. He seemed a bit impulsive and not as responsible as Night. He wears his heart on his sleeve and was never really an evil manipulator and he owns up to his mistakes when he realizes it. I think his father knew from the very beginning that Night would be a better Emperor hence the emperor's hesitation to actually name Phoenix the crown prince. Like what Pu Chi said to Jin Mi, she didn't have what it takes to be the heavenly empress because she was kind. The same goes for Phoenix, he didn't have what it takes to be the emperor because he valued love and the woman he loves above all else.  

I loved that XF owns up to his mistakes and is ready to take the blame, often so no one else will be punished.  Also just remembered how he always says he's fine, even when he's injured, lol.  

Personally, imho I'd rather leaders are kind and just,  not manipulative - maybe that's just me though.  (;

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thehumantree said:

^ I agree with you. My new addiction is stalking weibo. There's some gossip news about the two but since it's not related to this post I'm just holding it in myself.

Tag me when you do make the thread!!! :D

Hi! Sorry, for the slightly off topic of the tread too, but I don't understand Chinese but I would love to follow more news about the drama and the main actors too. How can foreigners check Weibo or other Chinese youtube like sites and post /take videos from there? That cute video with Deng Lan and Yang Zi someone posted isn't on youtube, is it? I'd love to follow more of the behind the scenes and stories of the show and the actors, not only these two but the others.

thanks!

6 hours ago, missnymeria said:

But the 63-episode version posted online doesn't have recap or commercials and the episodes still seem to be the same length as the ones in the 60-episode version. That's why I'm confused. I was expecting something around 40 minutes so as to add up to 3 more episodes but they all seem to be 44-45 minutes, like the dvd version.

The version we get doesnt have it but their version does. Some episodes are shorter I remember one episode had like 30 something minutes, etc. 

• Like 1

The videos and clips that you guys have posted of our Yang Lun / Deng Zi couple are so cute. They surely are comfortable with each other and even quite affectionate. In fact, I see some flirty vibes in the BTS of most of their shows, especially HSALF. 

Imma go visit the couple thread in a bit.

Oo I also forgot to mention how gorgeous the soundtrack is!  I mean, there definitely could be more songs, but the music they have is so nice.

The other thing was the gorgeous cinematography -  there was some absolutely stunning shots, like When JM goes to the River of Forgetfulness and screams out "Phoenix!" as she tries to chase his ghost; When XF and JM are hugging at the end in the saintess hut; When JM is drawing XF in grief; When JM shuts the doors on RY just after XF dies;  When JM kills XF, and she realizes what she's done and reaches out to him as he disappears;  when JM is caught in between XF/RY's attacks and XF realizes what just happened and reaches out/calls to her. and so on an so on -  Like it was such a good production.  I think probably the only thing I didn't really care for was the close ups of the kiss scenes - I felt they were too close and took away the immersion. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulaL said:

Hi! Sorry, for the slightly off topic of the tread too, but I don't understand Chinese but I would love to follow more news about the drama and the main actors too. How can foreigners check Weibo or other Chinese youtube like sites and post /take videos from there? That cute video with Deng Lan and Yang Zi someone posted isn't on youtube, is it? I'd love to follow more of the behind the scenes and stories of the show and the actors, not only these two but the others.

thanks!

I use my basic Chinese and Google trans app for weibo... I just hash tag their names to find news about them. That's how I found the video I mentioned before. I'm trying to find it again but it'll take awhile cuz I don't remember what I type to get that link!! :huh:

There's some English sites that keeps up to date news on dramas as well as weibo news too so you can follow them if weibo is too much for you.

Dramapanda

Cnewsdevotee

Avirtualvoyage

WeiboTalk

twitter

dramapotatoe

TrendingWeibo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been in series withdrawal. Was disappointed in the episodes leading up to the ending. I think I forgave too easily with the fillers, investing faith that the ending would be a fair make up for it. There hasn't been a series that I have come across in a long while that plotline consistencies (given that most fantasy Chinese series skimp on this) and development have blown me away. I still can't put a finger on exactly what disappointed me. Posting on a forum helps me organise my thoughts, so I figure I'll get to it. Meanwhile, I am treating my series withdrawal with rebound watching (Destiny of White Snake), followed by a combined 'pill' of HSALF re-watch and novel reading. And yes, I find reading it in Chinese is a different experience than reading it in English. 

A few HSALF fans are watching Destiny of White Snake, and in reaction to Yangzi/White Snake loving flowers, came this hilarious comment: no worries, in your next incarnation as heir to the Flower Goddess, you get to own it all [flowers] :lol:.

HSALF DVD (the actual product, not the online version)

I have just checked online in Chinese (incl. yesasia and amazon china) for HSALF DVD. No results. Although, there is a Chinese novel version based on the TV series - it would be great if this included multiple POVs, because there are weaknesses to single character POVs. I don't have much faith that a Chinese series DVD will include outtakes, extras, or quality English subs (Viki is the safest bet for subs). Never had much luck with them. But I would love to be proven wrong with a HSALF DVD.

Jin Mi's Immortality

There were a few pointers: as @Kimchi Sweet Potato said, the flowers bloomed in the Flower Realm. When Liu Ying/Demon Queen was presented with her gift from Lian Qiao (Flower Realm doing public relations with the Demon Realm), she is told that the 'Water God' nurtured a new type of flower for the Demon Queen to name. The only Water God who can grow flowers = Jin Mi. I take this as not only does Jin Mi retain her powers as heir of the Flower Goddess, she reclaims her role as the Water God. How the step from reincarnated human back to a titled immortal is unclear. I agree with @thehumantree, in that the only explanation would be the 6000 years of spiritual power (side stepping questions such as her memories). I find this contrived, if not a forced explanation. Sad, considering the series has been terrific in tying it's lose ends. More so than even the novel in some respects. 

Example: how awesome was it that Puchi Jun got what he wanted? Albeit in a funny, harmless way. As part of Jin Mi's escape from heaven, Puchi Jun got his 'elopement' (he has been begging for one as a constant gag line throughout the series). He even got to leave a Letter of Explanation/Ransom Note that he was now off to do the 'dirty' with Jin Mi :lol:

Edit: I am curious to see how long this thread remains active on this forum. Because I am still amazed that the Fuyao thread is still on the 1st page (fair enough that the novel hasn't been completely translated for fans). While there is a lot to like about Fuyao, HSALF by far is in Eternal Love league. I personally hope the discussion remains alive :).

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Ever since Ashes of Love ended, I’ve just been rewatching all of their BTS, MVs and the cute scenes in the drama again. I have to say that this drama is truly a masterpiece. Sometimes when a drama is good, there would be something missing such as main actors don’t have enough chemistry or the sound tracks don’t fit the drama, but everything in this drama fits so well together that it truly impress me. 

I rarely fall in love with any lead girl when I watch them for the first time and from the first episode. Yang Zi is the reason why I’m so in love with this drama. She portrayed the innocent Jin Mi so well and how she slowly mature and understand what love is. IDK I REALLY FELL IN LOVE WITH HER.I don’t think anyone could portray this character as good as her. Everyone in the drama portrayed their characters brilliant and I really enjoy it but Yang Zi just really stood out in my eyes. 

Deng Lun and Yang Zi relationships are just too cute to handle. I want them to date in real life already even thought in literally every interview they always said that they are “friends”. :( 

p.s : I stalk their weibo too and was really happy that they comments on each other posts haha.

• Like 9