Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

24 minutes ago, minglanfan said:

Why is gty yelling at minglan in the new preview posted by leeza77

Guess bcoz ml confronted kang auntie without waiting for him to come home. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, minglanfan said:

Why is gty yelling at minglan in the new preview posted by leeza77

He asked her why she didn't even write to him when such a big thing happened at her house. ML said it happened too fast and she didn't think about it. GTY says no, its because you didn't believe I'd come.....that I'd rush back to protect you. You didn't trust me to take care of this problem for you. You don't have faith in me......you don't believe that I'll spare nothing to protect you. 

• Like 17
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

EP 59 Finding out the real intention behind 

It still took Grandma Sheng to come to the rescue. Even the clever Ming Lan did not see beyond that great act of the girl Aunt Kang sent. Almost everyone thought that it was merely GTY's stepmom trying to fix Ming Lan's husband a concubine from Aunt Kang's household. The way they manipulated the whole setup was to make it look like ' family matter', adding a second wife to GTY of the girl who was 'Ming Lan's cousin'  from the family of Ming Lan's legitimate mother's side aunt.

After Grandma's questioning, the girl confessed that she was sent on a suicide mission to die in Ming Lan's house so that later on, Aunt Kang could come over and brought her death to sue GTY and Ming Lan in court. The final objective was to drag down Marquis Gu's manor and to completely destroy GTY and Ming Lan.

Ming Lan's first reaction to this was a big rage. She shoved her tea cup from the table to the floor. It was the first time to see her display this much violent anger. However, very soon after that shock, she returned to her usual self's calmness. She spoke with such tranquility how she empathized with the girl as she reminded Ming Lan of her situation when she was young.

With such graciousness, Ming Lan gave the girl two choice. One was to become her husband's concubine and the other was to let Grandma find her a husband and marry her to a household far away from the city.   The girl said she did not want to be any man's concubine. Of course, she would be much better off becoming a man's main wife even if he was not from a rich family.

I wonder how many women in Ming Lan's shoes are able to control that much anger and shock and quickly come up with a win-win solution for the girl and at the same time for herself and her household while speaking with a soft tone and gentle facial expression.  Zhao Liying carried out this performance outstandingly.

Amid all these crying, screaming, grandma's intervention...etc, the big picture that nobody has yet seemed to realize is that both the girl and Aunt Kang are all being used and manipulated by GTY's stepmother for that final goal of killing GTY and robbing him of his marquis title and assets.

5kz7vqR.png

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, dancingbee said:

EP 59 Finding out the real intention behind 

It still took Grandma Sheng to come to the rescue. Even the clever Ming Lan did not see beyond that great act of the girl Aunt Kang sent. Almost everyone thought that it was merely GTY's stepmom trying to fix Ming Lan's husband a concubine from Aunt Kang's household. The way they manipulated the whole setup was to make it look like ' family matter', adding a second wife to GTY of the girl who was 'Ming Lan's cousin'  from the family of Ming Lan's legitimate mother's side aunt.

After Grandma's questioning, the girl confessed that she was sent on a suicide mission to die in Ming Lan's house so that later on, Aunt Kang could come over and brought her death to sue GTY and Ming Lan in court. The final objective was to drag down Marquis Gu's manor and to completely destroy GTY and Ming Lan.

Ming Lan's first reaction to this was a big rage. She shoved her tea cup from the table to the floor. It was the first time to see her display this much violent anger. However, very soon after that shock, she returned to her usual self's calmness. She spoke with such tranquility how she empathized with the girl as she reminded Ming Lan of her situation when she was young.

With such graciousness, Ming Lan gave the girl two choice. One was to become her husband's concubine and the other was to let Grandma find her a husband and marry her to a household far away from the city.   The girl said she did not want to be any man's concubine. Of course, she would be much better off becoming a man's main wife even if he was not from a rich family.

I wonder how many women in Ming Lan's shoes are able to control that much anger and shock and quickly come up with a win-win solution for the girl and at the same time for herself and her household while speaking with a soft tone and gentle facial expression.  Zhao Liying carried out this performance outstandingly.

Amid all these crying, screaming, grandma's intervention...etc, the big picture that nobody has yet seemed to realize is that both the girl or Aunt Kang are all being used and manipulated by GTY's stepmother for that final goal of killing GTY and robbing him of his marquis title and assets.

Yes agreed. Kudos to ML that she kept her calm and came up with that plan very fast and under stress of the situation. 

I'm not sure about the drama but in the book, that offer was actually a test to see whether the girl is telling the truth or not. If it was just a sob story to get ML to keep her and then create a mess later on on Kang Aunt's order.....then the cousin would choose to become the concubine....giving the reason of having no choice. But if the girl really wanted to escape Kang aunts clutches she will pick the other offer.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Any idea whats going on there?

I think GTY is about to wear his outer cloth with XT help.

But ML get jealous

Just my guess

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

27 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Any idea whats going on there?

ML is angry at GTY. GTY is happy she's angry at him and seems to be jealous....which doubles his happiness.:lol:

I think maybe coz of fengxian, the concubine his aunt dumped on them. Maybe Fengxian thought her chance came, now that ML is taking care of the baby...and keeps coming around GTY's study.

GTY is happy because he says everyday he has felt jealous about QH...now its her turn. ML says why do keep bringing him up. Then when he asks Xiaotao to help him with his over coat.....ML orders XT not to help him. And tells him you have so many women in your yard go ask them to help you dress. Why are you asking my girls to help you. Then she calls shitou to help GTY with his coat:lol:

And from the other preview......I can guess how Kang aunt got free to attack ML. The maid attending to her during her incarceration in the Sheng house was Concubine Lin's head maid....maybe she helped her escape.  

• Like 7
  • LOL 11

23 minutes ago, tinast said:

I think GTY is about to wear his outer cloth with XT help.

But ML get jealous

Just my guess

Thank you :D

19 minutes ago, dito said:

ML is angry at GTY. GTY is happy she's angry at him and seems to be jealous....which doubles his happiness.:lol:

I think maybe coz of fengxian, the concubine his aunt dumped on them. Maybe Fengxian thought her chance came, now that ML is taking care of the baby...and keeps coming around GTY's study.

GTY is happy because he says everyday he has felt jealous about QH...now its her turn. ML says why do keep bringing him up. Then when he asks Xiaotao to help him with his over coat.....ML orders XT not to help him. And tells him you have so many women in your yard go ask them to help you dress. Why are you asking my girls to help you. Then she calls shitou to help GTY with his coat:lol:

And from the other preview......I can guess how Kang aunt got free to attack ML. The maid attending to her during her incarceration in the Sheng house was Concubine Lin's head maid....maybe she helped her escape.  

Thank you :D i actually havent keep with with the recent eps and recent previous, i only see the previous and spoliers from here. Im catching up soon. Thanks for the  info.

And Happy Chinese New Years guyss. Wish everyone good health :blush:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

27 minutes ago, dito said:

Thank you.GTY finally gets his heart's  desire...jealous ML.:lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

@Golden Flower There are 2 types of audiences watching these drama:

Type 1: Those who are here for the romance between the 2 main leads. They support the main couple's actions in every way possible, whether it's right or wrong, logical or unreasonable. They are fond of the bold and cunning methods. They consider anyone who may bring harm to the main couple as villains and hope for them to disappear ASAP. They most of the time do not care about historical facts and judge characters based on modern standards. They usually lash out at anyone who stands in the main couple's way and feel satisfied seeing their downfall.

Type 2: Those who are here for the story. They may or may not be very interested in the main couple. They don't focus on the main couple but see them as a part of a bigger picture. They are more interested in world-building rather than romantic development. They are interested in feudal social etiquette and analyze characters and events based on the context of the era.

The value that people honor are very different in the past. There are things that are considered okay, even noble at the time are unacceptable or ridiculous or stupid from a modern's POV. There are special details that are very strange to foreign viewers and they couldn't know unless they are frequent with Chinese history (watch a few period drama is not enough since it is never explained carefully in the movies. Chinese people study that in literature and history classes). Thus it is sometimes very hard to explain why they do what they do, and why what they do is totally acceptable, and why sometimes our main couple, albeit seem right, are actually standing on the wrong side of the rules. 

The controversy is, this is the story of a feudal era. However, our main couple have more modern and open-minded personalities. The drama is trying to emphasize how our main couple are different and more advanced than the usual norm. Thus it is totally okay to support our main couple breaking the norm, since this is their strong points. But it is unfair to expect the same from other characters bc when everyone's special, no one is. They are characters born and raised under specific context, and they will act accordingly.

That's why these 2 types of audiences will keep fighting and can never agree with each other. No one is either right or wrong. They are just using different perspectives.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 9
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Spoiler

Did Aunty Kang died after she tried to kill Minglan and her baby?

BTS from epi 35

Happy Camp preview.  It looks like the cast are having fun.  

• Like 12

5 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

My original comment are sequences from my comment how relieved I am that there is still a family who would risk everything for their daughter. Duke ying might be mightier then general shen, but if ber daughter were to be divorced or separated, it will put a dent on his family name. But he didnt care and for that I applause. Sh is still the father in law, who hl’s husband should respect, he could have mentioned how skinny or unhappy hl is, for her husband to pay more attention to her, but he wont, again because he’s bound by all the things you mention. If every evil characters so far could afford being nosy, I’m sure a little talk to his son in law wont hurt, if he really cares for her that is.

It’s inevitable for people to find certain characters as evil or stupid and ignite discussion, if we dont judge the characters based on what they potray, might as well watch documentaries, sit back and learn some history

Oh noooooooooooo, how come the Linniang's maid is still alive when the others have been killed or exiled?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Anyone got any good recap's for me of the last like 9 page's... 

Anything good happen. 

Well lots of happenings.  You have to watch the episodes to catch up dear :kiss_wink:  On top of Auntie Kang and evil stepmom, now we have the power hungry Empress Dowager, her spy (and niece) who is the royal consort to the current emperor who started to show their true colours.  General Shen's concubine (late wife's sister) tried to stop the royal doctor from assisting the birth and ML has to weild a sword to get him from the concubine's house........to the Empress asking for royal pardon from the emperor for her brother, General Shen (actually this was ML's idea) thereby thwarting the ED's plan.  Lots of stuff unfolding.....and the evil stepmom is losing her cool now that ML is pregnant.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3