Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

21 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Many times in those days, they do the separation or divorce to keep their spouse from being implicated in whatever problems are happening to them so it’s probably something big. Like some of the others, I think it’s going to be part of a bigger plan, possibly to flush out those they need to in order to fully gain control of the court. One of the things I’ve noticed about GTY is his loyalties and he seems to always give his friends the ability to have plausible deniability in his schemes so if things don’t work out, they are not implicated. The reactions of Emperor has to be real in order to ensure those he wants to trick, believes it.  It seems the only way to fluster the Empress Dowager since she’s still listening in on the court stuff and trying to control everything. It’s almost similar to what he does with Stepmom but not straight forward. He’s acting the rascal that the Empress Dowager and the old nobility thinks he his. Maybe, being demoted and dismissed like this is the only way he’ll be able to move about doing what needs to be done? 

And yes, it would also be a test for ML too. As she could take the amiable separation or stick through it all with him. 

Yes, I think they were acting based on a larger plan to trick EP, making her and her party drop guard and carry out their scheme more boldly.

Spoiler

In the novel, EP lauched the palace coup when all emperor's armies were out fighting foreign tribes, including GTY. EP stroke as she thought she had to seize the chance when the epmeror was most vulnerable. But actually this was a big plan devised by the emperor and his aids. Despite a few complications, things happened as predicted and finally EP was destroyed. The major plot difference of the drama is closer relationship between palace politics and personal life of GTY and ML. In the novel, the focus of their married life is on household matters, with court politics as the background. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

Only 1 episode each today and tomorrow :( . But oh well, should be glad they don't air the same as korean dramas does. Otherwise it would have taken almost forever ^^. Will be hard seeing the scene with MN and Rong'er today :( . I wonder if GTY and ML big fight will happen next week.

• Like 5

Battle of wife vs ex girlfriend: x won:D

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4332429951870077

Spoiler

What's problem with qh's wife, seeking ml for what? .. Ml has done nothing to her, ml has no interaction at all with qh after marriage.. Why she wanted to stirr up the history. 

25 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

Only 1 episode each today and tomorrow :( . But oh well, should be glad they don't air the same as korean dramas does. Otherwise it would have taken almost forever ^^. Will be hard seeing the scene with MN and Rong'er today :( . I wonder if GTY and ML big fight will happen next week.

Most likely on Sunday 

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, matrim said:

Yes, I think they were acting based on a larger plan to trick EP, making her and her party drop guard and carry out their scheme more boldly.

Hide contents

In the novel, EP lauched the palace coup when all emperor's armies were out fighting foreign tribes, including GTY. EP stroke as she thought she had to seize the chance when the epmeror was most vulnerable. But actually this was a big plan devised by the emperor and his aids. Despite a few complications, things happened as predicted and finally EP was destroyed. The major plot difference of the drama is closer relationship between palace politics and personal life of GTY and ML. In the novel, the focus of their married life is on household matters, with court politics as the background. 

Yeah it makes sense now that they had to make a plan to over throw the ED. GTY and his friend the prince are both smart enough to know ED will become a problem if she doesn't hand over the power completely. ED sitting in on the court sessions is questioning the emperor's ability to rule....which will then make the different factions worked up into choosing sides. Not a good idea to have his officials on edge when he just started getting used to his situation. Is the emperor aware of the plan? Not yet caught with with the recent subbed epis. But I can see GTY and Prince making the plan without the emperor's knowledge. As a new emperor his image needs to be clean from such machinations.

Sometimes reading books on google translate is so unreliable. I do not recall any of this from the novel. But that maybe because I was mostly skipping all the political stuff and some about unrelated characters. The author sometimes wrote whole chapters about characters that were never mentioned before and were gone soon after....left with an occasional mention here and there.

p.s I have been trying to recall where I've seen the actress playing Kang aunt since last week.....just came to me now.....she played Jingrui's mom the Grand Princess in Nirvana in Fire.

• Like 5

This is just a personal opinion but I think viewers have really low tolerance of scheming against the main couple. I am not that invested in the main couple so I watch the drama with pretty neutral eyes and I find lots of things that people are deeming "evil" rather okay. For example Sheng Hong. Except for the poison case, everything he does is within the acceptable zone, even in the issue with ML's mother. He didn't mean nor directly caused her death and he had no responsibilities to seek justice for her. After all she's merely a lowly concubines he didn't favor much.

GTY' older brother is totally fine with me. After all, GTY's mother was married off into the family in a shady situation where she might indirectly have caused his mother's death (also from stepmom's influence). He grew up sick all his life and he knew the title would go to GTY after he died, GTY was perfectly healthy and had a bright future. In that kind of context it's natural that he hated GTY. What he did to GTY was not excessive at all.

Stepmom, if she could have stopped at pampering GTY so he grew up to be arrogant and manipulating his father into disliking him, then it's actually acceptable. GTY was standing between her son and the noble title, what, do you expect she can really be nice to him? She just started to go overboard since the father's death.

I also find QH and his wife's action totally okay. Everybody is allowed to be selfish to a point. QH's wife has no reasons to be nice to ML. No matter if she actually meant ill will against ML when she talked to 5th aunt about Dr.He, she spoke the truth. She didn't make anything up, ML really was in a kinda relationship with Dr.He when she suddenly got married to GTY. The thing is, if something happened, you can't forbid people talking about it. But her action was not very smart, that's all. Nothing to gain from it.

QH is the same. He is now a Yu Shi, so he is kinda working for the disciplinary department, and GTY is the man with the worst reputation in town. He hates GTY now (why not? He's not saint) and he doesn't need to frame GTY or sth, he can do his job fair and square and still get back at GTY a little bit, so it's a great deal for him. Again, why not? If GTY is squeaky clean then QH will have nothing against him. As long as QH does things within his duty and not trying to frame GTY nor break any rules, I say go for it.

I know everybody wants our couple to have a smooth easy life, but that's not how it is. Everything they did in the past will leave consequences in the future. Manniang is GTY's past, he got over it but the effect still lasts. He has changed doesn't mean he could get out clean. Any weakness will be used against him, everybody lives for their own benefit and if he let a weakness exposed then others will use it. They are being targeted by everyone but actually in the lives of people with status, everybody is being targeted by everyone, we just don't see it. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, dito said:

Yeah it makes sense now that they had to make a plan to over throw the ED. GTY and his friend the prince are both smart enough to know ED will become a problem if she doesn't hand over the power completely. ED sitting in on the court sessions is questioning the emperor's ability to rule....which will then make the different factions worked up into choosing sides. Not a good idea to have his officials on edge when he just started getting used to his situation. Is the emperor aware of the plan? Not yet caught with with the recent subbed epis. But I can see GTY and Prince making the plan without the emperor's knowledge. As a new emperor his image needs to be clean from such machinations.

Sometimes reading books on google translate is so unreliable. I do not recall any of this from the novel. But that maybe because I was mostly skipping all the political stuff and some about unrelated characters. The author sometimes wrote whole chapters about characters that were never mentioned before and were gone soon after....left with an occasional mention here and there.

p.s I have been trying to recall where I've seen the actress playing Kang aunt since last week.....just came to me now.....she played Jingrui's mom the Grand Princess in Nirvana in Fire.

Hard to tell the emperor knew the plan or not. Now seems only GTY and Prince were involved. All these power games are not in the novel. Only in the last few chapters did the author summarize the situation. Like I said, after their marriage, the novel is mostly about family matters.

• Like 6

So QH has every rights to be angry at GTY, he's only doing his job, but his wife being petty must mean that she's malicious and evil? :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

What's problem with qh's wife, seeking ml for what? .. Ml has done nothing to her, ml has no interaction at all with qh after marriage.. Why she wanted to stirr up the history. 

Was ML calling QH,  Heng ge'er like how an adult calls a child.....:lol:

lol so the wife wanted to mess with ML...but ML totally used her aunt status and called her niece in law (zhi xifu)

QH's wife is all :o

then ML goes...You kids are happy together...this elder is relieved:joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 10

12 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

So QH has every rights to be angry at GTY, he's only doing his job, but his wife being petty must mean that she's malicious and evil? :D

Actually I felt QH is the last person to have the right to hold any grudge or be angry with anyone but himself that things turned out this way for him and ML. 

If he really just wished for her happiness, I'm sure he has heard that GTY dotes on her, as his mom puts it "running around capital to buy her delicacies to try". Wish fulfilled. 

So no, I don't think QH has the right to be angry...at all. 

While the wife, I felt she has the right to be unhappy. But clearly she directed her unhappiness to the wrong person. The person who hasn't let go and hasn't moved on happens to share her bed, and not the wife of Marquis Gu. <_<

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dito said:

lol so the wife wanted to mess with ML...but ML totally used her aunt status and called her niece in law (zhi xifu)

Ml rocks.. Ha ha. Treat a childish woman like a child. I like it. So, ml is auntie 2 now to qh?? Lol.. 

3 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Actually I felt QH is the last person to have the right to hold any grudge or be angry with anyone but himself that things turned out this way for him and ML. 

If he really just wished for her happiness, I'm sure he has heard that GTY dotes on her, as his mom puts it "running around capital to buy her delicacies to try". Wish fulfilled. 

While the wife, I felt she has the right to be unhappy. But clearly she directed her unhappiness to the wrong person. The person who hasn't let go and hasn't moved on happens to share her bed, and not the wife of Marquis Gu. <_<

Both husband and wife are childish. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

6 minutes ago, dito said:

edit

forgot to last the last sentence

QH wife is all :o

then ML goes...You kids are happy together...this elder is relieved:joy:

Thanks for the translation! I only understood half of the convo! 

:lol:

Trust ML to come up with such remarks!! :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

11 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Well, everyone is entitled to have different opinions. I just find the double standard amusing ^_^

Plus I'm not saying QH's wife is a saint, I just think calling her "evil" is a bit much.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

I'm really confused about the stepmom's son right now. I read the book before watching drama and in the book he is a villain so since the beginning I always assume he's a bad guy and kinda hate him. Now I'm not sure since he hasn't shown any sign of evil (yet) and the drama seems to derail from the book quite a lot. Did they decide to change his character or what? If they did then I really don't know what to feel. I can say I'm quite prejudiced against him.

hmmm I guess you might just have to see how it goes, in any case I feel like it will allow for more dimension in the stepmom's character (rather than being a sour richard simmons, she's a sour richard simmons with the interest of her son in mind....however evil and selfish it is) And personally, I'm happy that there are people willing to stand by ML and GTY's side in the Gu family.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ha! Forgot about the family hierarchy. Gu Ting Ye is Qi Heng's "uncle" which means Ming Lan is now his Aunt.

The new wife called her Auntie and Ming Lan lectured her as her elder and called her niece in law.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Maybe thats the problem. He isn't sharing her bed and thats why she's unhappy...and looking for someone to vent.

An ex whom her husband still hasn't forgotten is a perfect target.  

I seem to remember something about QH fighting with one of his wives and starting to sleep separately....which became a big issue when his mom found out. Just can't recall if it was the princess or this wife.

Anyways, they changed the time of the events again. The ML-QH scene is coming up soon I think...and its before the first son is born. So the fight between GTY and ML will most likely happen before too. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, dito said:

Maybe thats the problem. He isn't sharing her bed and thats why she's unhappy...and looking for someone to vent.

I seem to remember something about QH fighting with one of his wives and starting to sleep separately....which became a big issue when his mom found out. Just can't recall if it was the princess or this wife.

Anyways, they changed the time of the events again. The ML-QH scene is coming up soon I think...and its before the first son is born. So the fight between GTY and ML will most likely happen before too. 

Yes, I agree so I wonder if they have a reconciliation before the birth of the child or if they are still at odds. I guess  one of they two times when he is spinning her is  when she gives him the news. So they seem happy.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, dito said:

Spoiler

The ML-QH scene will come soon. Just saw next week preview. Believie it or not, QH tried to hold ML. :joy:

• Like 5
  • LOL 3