[Drama 2017] Unique Daughters-in-Law, 별별 며느리, Mon-Frid 20:55

0ly40

46 minutes ago, whome said:

@UnniSarah I just find the mom unbearable at times. This actress has portrayed a lot of horrible mom roles in other dramas too. I'm only watching & rooting for EB & HJ right now.

@whome..... The actress only plays these kind of roles. It's like that is alll she is good for.  I tooo am rooting for EB &HJ.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a cute and mindless drama. But I'm sure it will get heavy as the episodes go on. Han Joo and Eun Byul are so cute and innocent in the way they flirt. I cannot wait to see how they change as husband and wife. Han Jo's brother is very handsome and the fact that he will fall for the enemy's daughter should be fascinating. I got the feeling in episode 2 that Eun Byel and her sister's finance Min Ho may have had a thing for each other, but never act upon it. The sheer fact they were pressuring EB to call and thank Min Ho for the gift and she seemed shy and reluctant to do so made me think there was some past feelings there. Min Ho also seem to love the idea of having EB around unlike GB. Also If the theory that Eun Byel might be adopted is true, I wonder who her true family is? The thing with watching a 30 minute drama is that you get fed little by little and left hungry when it's done.    

Having twin brother myself   I have a hard time relate to EB and GB, yes when we were young we used to fight but we outgrow it and he is my best friend and I love him to death,  GB'ys jealousy has no bound  I Mean she hates her sister and it is the mother fault why I have the feeling EB might be adopted. the irony is GB think she is going to marry to the rich household but in reality, EB will marry the true owner of that house  

1 hour ago, euraka said:

Having twin brother myself   I have a hard time relate to EB and GB, yes when we were young we used to fight but we outgrow it and he is my best friend and I love him to death,  GB'ys jealousy has no bound  I Mean she hates her sister and it is the mother fault why I have the feeling EB might be adopted. the irony is GB think she is going to marry to the rich household but in reality, EB will marry the true owner of that house  

I too don't get it why they are constantly arguing . I have twin  cousins and when they were young they were the opposite. They are still close as when they were kids .

checked out the first few episodes and am liking it. feels like a typical daily drama with mostly normal people! how nice!!!! hahahah.....

so @euraka @UnniSarah @angelwingssf @whome ~ kekekek.... maybe because I have seen/heard of such real life favouritism, am not surprised or expecting a birth secret. though there could be one because it is a kdrama! hahahaha...

when I first saw grown up geum byul, my first thought was "woah, she actually has a job, fiance and did some education????" -- so in cases where I have seen the mom favouring one child over another, usually the ignored child ends up completing education, finding a job and getting married etc. the favoured child never get their act together -- drop out, fall into bad habits etc.  somehow, the ignored child is expected to still look out for the favoured child. now mind you, the situation I am referring to -- the sons are in their 30s! so am not sure why the parents, especially the mom, thinks the ignored child should monetarily and emotionally support the favoured child who does nothing besides running around, spending his parents money, getting drunk....  so this drama seems like a sanitized version in that geum byul is relatively normal, actually has a job, etc. so thank goodness! at some point, she will grow up and both sides will reconcile etc...

while it is difficult to understand the mom's need to favour geum byul, what I liked is that she is not blind to geum byul's faults. during the children scenes, she is at the table with geum byul and point blank asks why she lied that it was eum byul who tripped her. so the mom knew that it was geum byul who initiated the fight and tells her to try get along with eum byul. but then in front of others, she is excessively obsessed with this daughter... hmmm....

am wondering what is the story with the house and the property dispute. again have heard of cases where property disputes occur within siblings after the parent passes away especially when there is accusations of favouritism (whether or not it is true). in one case, the father willed the property to his daughter. maybe he thought she deserved it because she looked after him or maybe he thought that since she was divorced, she needs her own place or maybe he thought that the other kids have all moved to other cities and don't need this place... whatever reason, she got the house. the other siblings then sued her saying the will was a forgery.. there was also talk of favouritism... anyway, my point is that this stuff occurs in real life. even though it feels surprising, this drama is not far off. but since it lacks a makjang tone at the moment, it looks like it will be just a regular family drama and at the end, everyone will realize their mistakes. lets see!

11 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

while it is difficult to understand the mom's need to favour geum byul, what I liked is that she is not blind to geum byul's faults. during the children scenes, she is at the table with geum byul and point blank asks why she lied that it was eum byul who tripped her. so the mom knew that it was geum byul who initiated the fight and tells her to try get along with eum byul. but then in front of others, she is excessively obsessed with this daughter... hmmm....

@Lmangla....  Exactly chingu, Mom isn't blind to her child's antics but can't still being on her side. The father is the only one who tries to bring compromise on the table. I love how happy she was that Eun Byel has good reputation for being a ghostwriter. But ofcourse GB start to have a tantrum because she wants any association with her sister. Ofcourse this all he mom's fault. I kinda feel and for the dad because he wants both sister to be happy. 

Someone said that  MH and EB may have liked each other but did not pursue it. I did see that she didn't want to thank him but MoM told her to do it. I wonder how will MH's family will interact with EB. Will MH's sister like EB more than GB??? I especially loved how Mh tried to convince her to work for his father. I think the company might even hire when they find out she is an artist too. I can't wait for that to come out. I am pissed that GB refused a job without her sister's knowledge. I fear that EB working where her sister works will cause a lot of misunderstanding and EB will cover for her sister like she did for her sister when she faked passing out in the play. 

MBC Global Media release  the English version of synopsis and character description, I thought it might be helpful

SYNOPSIS

Geum-byeol and Eun-byeol are twin sisters and have had a bad sibling relationship since they were little girls. Geum-byeol was treated like a princess by their mother while Eun-byeol was neglected and forced to give in to her sister all the time. The sisters had a long, tempestuous relationship but this conflict between them should have ended when they got married. Instead, their marriages took their sibling rivalry to new heights. They later found out that their husbands were sworn enemies. This TV show revolves around unequal childhoods and how two siblings find themselves the daughters-in-law in two feuding families which they try to mediate. These multiple strained relationships between people are portrayed in a lighthearted way as the related parties eventually resolve their issues through forgiveness and love.

CHARACTER DESCRIPTION 

Hwang Eun-byeol – Starring Hahm Eun-jung

She has a twin sister. Currently, Eun-byeol works at a publishing company while working as a ghost writer on the side. She has a bad relationship with her twin sister Geum-byeol. She had frequent fights with her sister and her mother would always take Geum-byeol’s side regardless of who was in the wrong. When Geum-byeol got married and Eun-byeol married Choi Han-joo, the constant fighting between the siblings seemed to have finally ended but the unexpected happened. Han-joo and her brother-in-law turn out to be sworn enemies. Making matters worse, her mom got into a major scuffle with Han-joo’s mother before the wedding and this created problems with her in-laws for Eun-byeol.

Hwang Geum-byeol - Starring Lee Ju-yeon

She is Eun-byeol’s twin sister. As a former Miss Korea beauty contestant, she currently works in the PR department of a fashion brand. She believes she is superior to other people and treats people with disdain. She uses her looks to get what she wants. She followed her helicopter mom’s career guidance and so she naturally believed that she will marry into a wealthy family and her predictions came true when she married Park Min-ho, the son of a large real estate holder. After marrying well, she thought she would be elevated in her social standings compared to Eun-byeol but when her twin sister married Choi Han-joo, the situation became reversed.

Choi Han-joo – Starring Kang Kyung-joon

He is Eun-byeol’s husband and works as a Taekwondo instructor. He was a promising Taekwondo athlete as a teenager. In high school, he faced Park Min-ho in the national Taekwondo finals but Park’s dad fixed the match and he subsequently got branded for having a violent temper in the tournament when protesting his unfair loss. The incident ended his Taekwondo career. After marrying the adorable Eun-byeol, he became reminded of his painful past. Eun-byeol’s sister is married to Park Min-ho, his enemy who defeated him in the Taekwondo match that was fixed. It was devastating to know that he was now a distant in-law to Park.

Park Min-ho – Starring Cha Do-jin

As Geum-byeol’s husband, he is the son of the owner of Nine Fashion group and works for his dad as a general manager. Because he had an oppressive father, he is attracted to strong-willed woman and drawn to Geum-byeol who is sassy. When he heard that his sister-in-law was going to marry Han-joo, whom he defeated in a fixed Taekwondo match in high school and whose family has sued his for defrauding them, he tries to prevent them from getting married but eventually he becime in-laws with Han-joo through his sister-in-law.

9 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@Lmangla....  Exactly chingu, Mom isn't blind to her child's antics but can't still being on her side. The father is the only one who tries to bring compromise on the table. I love how happy she was that Eun Byel has good reputation for being a ghostwriter. But ofcourse GB start to have a tantrum because she wants any association with her sister. Ofcourse this all he mom's fault. I kinda feel and for the dad because he wants both sister to be happy. 

@UnniSarah ~ am not sure I would give the dad a free pass. hahahah... so in the first ep, when he confronts the mom, she gives a sob story of how geum byul was premature etc. he then says nothing. . so basically he is passive and even though he knows that there are issues, he doesn't confront. he could have told his wife that health issues aside, geum byul has an attitude problem and you can't let a child get away with lying. he could have talked to geum byul that she needs to get along with her sister as a relationship is a two way street. he doesn't tell his wife how her attitude could be detrimental for geum byul and eum byul and eum byul. instead, he tells eum byul to adjust. it is exactly that kind of attitude that will lead to problems later. at some point, any person would say "hey why should I be the one adjusting all the time?" since geum byul is used to having the family adjust for her, she is going to expect everyone (including those at work and in-laws) to dance to her tune. but that would be unreasonable and will certainly lead to problems no???? .... so both parents were making mistakes while raising their daughters.

and a scene that made me wonder just because of real life instances -- so the mom is making note of how to decorate the son-in-law's room etc. so wedding gifts are something that can cause intense rivalry in families. "they did so much for her. what about me?" kind of attitude and questions. it will be interesting to see if that sort of discussion pops up as I expect eun byul and geum byul to get married around the same time...

the romance between EB & HJ is smooth and I'm loving their chemistry 

Video cuts from today's episode 

I am glad the mother lost the money she deserves it 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, tulip06 said:

What exactly is GB's problem with EB?

@tulip06....I finally understand GB's problem with EB. She is just jealous and uses her illness to get what she wants. 

After watching Episode 3 with subs, GB actually fears being replaced by EB. We all saw in Episode 1 the guy and her other classmates favored EB. I am guessing EB is smart and nice but GB has an inferior complex so no one can stand her except for her mom. If her mom had fixed her attitude and stopped treating her like she is a princess she would have had friends and would have been liked. EB saw right through her when she kept trying to persuade not to right the autobiography for her futfather in law. 

Luckily the Father IN Law and EB's friends told her the money would be a lot. 

This drama has some comical gem such as: The scene where Eun Byeol was running from the adorable puppy like it was a savage beast. Then the part EB jumped on Han Joo and he ran with her was funny. The other scene that I find humorous is when Eun Byeol was innocently telling Han Joo if he liked the breast part of the chicken and he spit out his drink due to his perverse mind. The relationship between EB and HJ seems innocent with some adult humor mixed in there. I didn't know what to expect with this drama and I still find the plot vague, but so far the humor and characters make this show interesting. Who knows where this drama will take us.  

7 hours ago, euraka said:

From what I understand so far Pure jealously nothing else and the mother feeding her ego and pride  

@UnniSarah

But jealous of what? She has the better life with a better job, better college, better clothes etc. and the mother gives in to her all the time.  She ought to chill and be nicer since she's such a success.

@tulip06 ~ am answering your question as in relation to why geum byul didn't want eum byul to be the ghostwriter for her father-in-law's book.

here's my understanding of geum byul - eum byul rivalry.

so in the firs ep, we learn that geum byul was born underweight etc and sort of prone to collapsing when she is stressed. so growing up, she was probably restricted from doing many activities while healthy eum byul runs around doing taekwondo. so to compensate, mom treats her like a princess. so there is this kind of childish jealousy that eum byul gets to do things she can't and she obviously has friends in school. while geum byul looked like she was more cut off from the class probably due to a combination of being sick (so sick days + not allowed to do certain activities) and her princess attitude....

eum byul's personality - even though she is expected to give in, she doesn't do it without a huge fight. she is a bit of a spitfire and gives back. as the mom said in the beginning, geum byul cannot win in a fight with eum byul and so why start one. so there's that kind of rivalry.  geum byul's tactic is to then use the mom as a kind of shield. so those patterns have gotten so established that they haven't moved beyond those childish behaviours into developing adult sibling relationships.

then, there's the fashion snobbery -- geum byul is very fashion conscious while eum byul is the opposite. she is a bit of tomboy in her style of dressing and cosmetics. so geum byul is genuinely worried about losing face standing next to her less fashionable sister..

and geum byul does care -- considering how her mom-in-law treats her mom despite the fact that both went to school together, eum byul is also likely to treated as a bit low. so she has good reason to worry that her sister may not be treated with respect if she becomes an employee of sorts for the father-in-law. this in turn causes her to lose face in front of the family.

and someone mentioned that min ho and eum byul might have had an unspoken attraction but it looks like geum byul really has nothing to worry about. like the synopsis @euraka posted, he seems to have gone for a woman in his mother's mould. but geum byul does seem to have a tiny worry that she might be outshone by her sister in front of her in-laws. so she is insecure as well and not quite at ease with herself despite her accomplishments.

based on the light tone of the drama, it doesn't like a case where the two sisters despise each other or hate each other but more like petty childhood rivalry that they never outgrew. they haven't learned how to be sisters as adults. the only way they know how to relate to each other is their rivalry.

So the mother has lost all the money she planned to use for GB's wedding. But she and GB had ordered a very expensive bed and many more things. Why do I have some kind of thought that she will ask for EB's help? Because EB will soon get a big amount from her work right. Aizzz, I really hope it won't be that way. EB plans to use them for her dream, and it will be so bad when she has to give up again beyond her sister's advantage.

Archived