[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, millie10468 said:

Just saw the preview and man, this amnesia thing is going to be more brutal than I thought.

I am all for JET forgetting a little bit and moving on with life, you know?  But the way I'm seeing it, even if her head's forgotten, her heart hasn't at all. Not one bit. It's like her heart will be frozen in that one moment of time where she lost KS and her head forgot to give her heart the memo so while she's physically moving on, she's emotionally static. This JET honestly has no hope of "moving on" from KS. Even if she were to meet someone new, she'll always have the feeling that something is missing or wrong.

Someone, remind me again. JET's not being punished for anything, right? This is some cruel and unusual punishment.

I'm loving the idea that KS will be hanging around her when he gets back. I'm hoping they spend a lot of time together where he triggers her emotions and heart about the things they did or what they were to each other before she fully regains her memory. Because you know she will. KES never goes the "never remembering" route based on SG.

Also, with the 9 year time skip, we can finally say that a certain group of people will have absolutely no leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about the romance. Finally. Yay!! (Oh, who am I kidding? Determination will always find a way when it comes to things like this...)

I'm not sure if Eun Tak is being punished when she is made to lose her memories, but I understand what you mean when you choose to see it this way. I suppose Eun Tak is most likely in a worse and unimaginable situation where, like you have described it, her heart is frozen in time and in its pain, and yet, her memories cannot explain why.

I think Eun Tak's situation is similar to how our Grim Reapers are given redemption in losing their painful memories. Our Grim Reapers spend the rest of their immortal lives, atoning for their sins, but are at least living in some relative ease from not remembering their past. Kim Shin intends for Eun Tak's amnesia to give her the opportunity to move on and continue living her life happily. He says at the end of Ep. 5 when he has had a glimpse of her future, "You've forgotten about me and your life is perfectly complete with me gone." So, even in 'death', Kim Shin is still trying to protect his Eun Tak, a girl as small as a violet, and yet with such force in life and love. Kim Shin selflessly wants the best for his Eun Tak, and hope for her to grow old and meet another man (or perhaps the 'CEO' in his vision). 

l3q2T3oa05wxhZrJC.gif

l3q2splp7cRnwjEvm.gif

26xBOZxo6tOnZcmBy.gif

Someone (is it @bebebisous33 ?)  has very precisely described how Kim Shin has forgotten to consider how the heart does not ever forget. He is wrong about her life being "perfectly complete" because it just isn't. Like our Grim Reapers who have not forgotten their emotional pain, Eun Tak herself does not forget the unrest and turmoil she experiences after Kim Shin has left her.

I know that we have only had 36 seconds of the preview and some lines from the text preview, but we could assume that she does spend the rest of the nine years after his death, wondering who she has forgotten and agonising over the great empty chasm in her heart that used to be occupied by something and someone whom she could no longer remember. It is utterly even more devastating than if she has not forgotten her memories. She could have at least cherished her memories of having once loved. 

I guess you're also referring to spoilers that have been posted here. I had wished not to see them, but it was inevitable that I would since others have commented on them freely. I didn't mind the spoilers as much (I have not looked at the images though - I have avoided them) because I know that Kim Shin would have returned somehow. It would be great to see how he would have tried to help her remember him. 

Edited by hairuchii
Added better gifs
  • Like 23

2 minutes ago, janeeta said:

You mean 80 years. Because that's how long ET can possibly live. She's 19/20 and he wants to spend every moment with her. He wants to be with her in her entire life span. 

I see,,that could also refer to her debt right? that he wanted her to pay in 80 years? thank you. 

how about this one :

“One day after 100 years, when the weather is good enough, I hope I will be able to tell her she was my first love. I ask… above for permission” 

and 

“You are my life & my death. And I… like you. Thus, I keep this secret and ask above for permission. May you not know for one more day, for 100 more years”

and also 

“The oracle was right. The future I foresaw was correct. With this girl’s help, I will be able to end this curse of eternity and return to ash. A mortal soul can live up to 100 years – is what I’m looking for my life as an immortal soul or your face? I think it is your face” 

i mean , why 100 years. so sorry! i kinda lost :(

• Like 3

3 hours ago, melonpark said:

YAAAY!!! But wait how did she kissed his head? :)  

Similar to this? Yeeeek :wub:

i was thinking the same thing, how could it possible for her to kiss his forehead, jump jump jump?, grab his colar and pull him over?, or wrapped her hand on his nack but instead of kiss his lips she kiss his forehead. one thing for sure... tiptoeing won't work lol :lol:

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, pickybonbon said:

I see,,that could also refer to her debt right? that he wanted her to pay in 80 years? thank you. 

how about this one :

“One day after 100 years, when the weather is good enough, I hope I will be able to tell her she was my first love. I ask… above for permission” 

and 

“You are my life & my death. And I… like you. Thus, I keep this secret and ask above for permission. May you not know for one more day, for 100 more years”

and also 

“The oracle was right. The future I foresaw was correct. With this girl’s help, I will be able to end this curse of eternity and return to ash. A mortal soul can live up to 100 years – is what I’m looking for my life as an immortal soul or your face? I think it is your face” 

i mean , why 100 years. so sorry! i kinda lost :(

I edited my quote. Read again :rolleyes:

Ah bleh... I wake up this morning and first thing I see is the preview. Not too happy about her losing her memories but it was expected... I wonder he will come back into her life thoigh, how he came back to Earth too.

Did she forget him because GR erased her memories? Or is it because she did what she had to do (pulling out the sword)? I think it might be the latter; for some reason, I don't want to believe WY would have erased her memories!

Have you guys seen the Japanese animation "Your Name"? It came out in South Korea end of last year and it was quite popular. The whole forgetting thing makes me think of that movie. It's really good; if you have not seen it, I highly recommend. It's similar in that:

Spoiler

A girl and a boy exchange bodies. Some days, the become the other. Anyway, at some point, the exchanges stop (I won't say why not too spoil it too much) and they forget each other. They just know that they have forgotten sthg important, and they keep looking for it for years. Then they meet in the street and they realize they had been looking for a person all this time. They ask each other's name and it ends on that. Hence the title "Your Name" because it was all about rememebering/recalling that one name. ET made me think of them: knowing they had lost sthg, the felt that sense of loss but they did not what they had lost...

ETA: I am also not surprised that we had to wait for her to be 29. The 9 years are important in Korean culture and that is when important things happen. We already saw that with ET: her mom died when she was 9, she met the Goblin when she was 19. It is only normal that she would meet him again at 29.

But where was he during all that time?!?

That is my main question/concern!

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, janeeta said:

Well he wants to spend the first 80 years with her. Because that's how long ET can possibly live. She's 19/20 and he wants to spend every moment with her. He wants to be with her in her entire life span. And then he's asking for her to be reborn so when she's 20 again, he can tell her that she was his first love. 

omg thank you so much! i finally get it , he means after she is reincarnated. thanks!:D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ucylucy said:

Woke up to see a sad ep14 preview - but I'm optimistic for happy moments too.  I learn to never trust tvN previews anymore. I hope they keep the amnesia to ep14 and/or ep 15 only. I want everyone to be reunited and happy in ep16 - please only happy moments in ep16. Plus we need closure for GR/GB and GR/Sunny, and what about the female reaper, what role is going to play since she now knows her past sin to Sunny and GR?

Now that we know Kim Shin erase everybody's memory of him, the note from Chairman Yu makes a lot of sense now: about a man name Kim Shin coming in the rain and leaving in blue flames to come claim his property - Dang did the deity also possess Chairman Yu briefly too? The whole Yu family seems to be otherworldly.

More info about the album soundtrack

“Goblin” To Release OST Album Complete With Photo Book, Flip Book, And Gong Yoo’s Narrations

They’ve slayed the charts, now the OSTs of tvN’s “Goblin” will be compiled into a single album of awesomeness.

The OST album will be released in stores on January 25, but domestic online pre-orders open on January 17. The album will contain 16 tracks, including EXO Chanyeol and Punch’s “Stay With Me,” Crush’s “Beautiful,” Lasse Lindh’s “Hush,” and Ailee’s “I Will Go to You Like the First Snow,” among others. It will also include the opening track of “Goblin,” which many fans have been inquiring about but has yet to be released.

Hide contents

There will be two CDs in the album, one for songs and the other for instrumentals. Gong Yoo’s narrations will also be included. In addition, there will also be a photo book containing still cuts of the drama and never-before-released photos. The album cover will also feature a lenticular design that presents different images when viewed from different angles.

The album will be available in two versions, which differ by the lenticular images on the cover, and the scenes featured in the flip book. Other than that, everything else, including the photo book and lyrics book, is the same.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/01/17/goblin-release-ost-album-complete-photo-book-flip-book-gong-yoos-narrations/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

One place you can pre-order the OST (more online shops will pop up later)

more info about album

Can the release Never Far Away, that song was what sold to me the drama due to the melody on the first episode and has become my little obsession 

Edited by MadraRua
Please do not quote images
  • Like 7

I dont like amnesia scene just like I mention before this .I know I can believe the writer will always doing their best for their script.The preview always misunderstanding..:D

Spoiler

Just I hope Kim shin will be alive after 15 minutes only.I dont want just like my from the star Do min Joon just come 10 minutes for the finale.This is goblin main characters..I want Kim Shin more in majority scene...:lol:

• Like 13

hi all, I just had the shittiest day at work today and i'm happy to declare that this is my happy place rn. I didn't have access to the Internet today and am  backreading all the entries. Safe to say.. I have missed all the new spoilers and preview info only until now. Seems like an exciting day indeed! Lots to catch up on. 

1. Spoiler pic of GR and Sunny hugging - awwww!

2. GY and LDW attending Phuket trip - they deserve a break! 

3. The Yonhap OST analysis was so good. I loved each song and have it on repeat everyday but I didn't really analyse when the songs are used. No wonder 'Never Far Away' always gave me this comforting feeling, like something magical will happen. It's because it is used when GR or KS use their magic powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsPdnC1FNkY

4. Literary analysis of buckwheat flowers & correlation to be 'giving of his love and life' to her
This was so spot on! high five @janeeta! I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out, but after your analysis, it was so crystal clear. Once again, it proved the amazing skill of KES. She must indeed be a literature lover too, to be able to use so many parallel symbolisms!

5. KS saying goodbye
Maybe this time he knew that he must go and his time is up. He is also much sadder after so many things happened. That's why it's so different between ep 6 & ep 13. @mouse007

My thanks to all who have posted the juicy additional information:

@ucylucy, @Princi_86, @Sarang21, @janeeta, @mouse007

• Like 14

This drama, keeps getting better as the weeks go on.  The writing is tight and has stayed on point. The director, so far has done a great job in interpreting the script.  The actors, what can I say about the actors... they are fantastic. The last episode was the best, the actors excelled in their craft and exceeded my wildest expectations.  The crying scenes were the best.  When KS disappeared into nothingness, ET's performance broke my heart.  

To the writer, Kim Eun Sook, to the director, Lee Eung Bok and all the actors, Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!  This drama as become one of my all time favorites and it is not over.   

• Like 19

1 hour ago, hairuchii said:

I'm not sure if Eun Tak is being punished when she is made to lose her memories, but I understand what you mean when you choose to see it this way. I suppose Eun Tak is most likely in a worse and unimaginable situation where, like you have described it, her heart is frozen in time and in its pain, and yet, her memories cannot explain why.

I think Eun Tak's situation is similar to how our Grim Reapers are given redemption in losing their painful memories. Our Grim Reapers spend the rest of their immortal lives, atoning for their sins, but are at least living in some relative ease from not remembering their past. Kim Shin intends for Eun Tak's amnesia to give her the opportunity to move on and continue living her life happily. He says at the end of Ep. 5 when he has had a glimpse of her future, "You've forgotten about me and your life is perfectly complete with me gone." So, even in 'death', Kim Shin is still trying to protect his Eun Tak, a girl as small as a violet, and yet with such force in life and love. Kim Shin selflessly wants the best for his Eun Tak, and hope for her to grow old and meet another man (or perhaps the 'CEO' in his vision). 

Someone (is it @bebebisous33 ?)  has very precisely described how Kim Shin has forgotten to consider how the heart does not ever forget. He is wrong about her life being "perfectly complete" because it just isn't. Like our Grim Reapers who have not forgotten their emotional pain, Eun Tak herself does not forget the unrest and turmoil she experiences after Kim Shin has left her.

I know that we have only had 36 seconds of the preview and some lines from the text preview, but we could assume that she does spend the rest of the nine years after his death, wondering who she has forgotten and agonising over the great empty chasm in her heart that used to be occupied by something and someone whom she could no longer remember. It is utterly even more devastating than if she has not forgotten her memories. She could have at least cherished her memories of having once loved. 

I guess you're also referring to spoilers that have been posted here. I had wished not to see them, but it was inevitable that I would since others have commented on them freely. I didn't mind the spoilers as much (I have not looked at the images though - I have avoided them) because I know that Kim Shin would have returned somehow. It would be great to see how he would have tried to help her remember him. 

Yes, it was me.:grin: Your comment was really good good job onion headand made me think that KS made this decision based on that scene in the episode 5, as he sees JET as perfectly happy and stable. He thinks that she has forgotten him. Yet there is a possibility that he misunderstood the situation. Like for example, she fakes her smile and happiness because she is someone who is cheerful and doesn't want to burden her friend. Moreover, her conversation with Sunny he listened to could be a lie. I mean, when she went to Québec, she didn't take the plane and had a passport. That's why she can say that she has never been abroad (officially), since she used a magical way. Besides, JET nor KS never mentioned their trip to anyone. This was their secret. Then in order to reassure Sunny that she is perfectly fine, she describes how comfortable she feels there. So Kim Shin could have misread JET's future: she is happy, has moved on aso. Or maybe he is already back in JET's life but since her memories are erased, she is happy by his presence, unaware of her past with him.  

But I am wondering if KS will erase all the pictures they took together. Remember, she got a camera and they took many pictures together (KS, GR and her. Or if he doesn't erase them, what happens then? Will his presence on these pictures disappear?

Finally, the mother who asked not to forget her child (after his death) because she had at least good memories of him... In my opinion, Kim Shin considers memories as something negative. He is too focused on death. Like JET mentioned to Sunny, where is death, there is life. Life is so bright... From the start, Kim Shin thinks more about death than life. He took God's words too literally. God told him, he would never forget any single death, but he never said that Kim Shin shouldn't enjoy the time spent with them. He only sees the end (death) and doesn't enjoy the journey (life). I guess, his attempt to lessen JET's pain by erasing his presence is totally wrong because he robs from her beautiful moments as well.

@maryofbethany  @Athenaries @gutibear@selenette@triplem@staygold@dramu51ch0c10ve@ez_yan@theseasasleep@Princi_86

• Like 24

@ceressi

Thank you for this amazing set of screencaps! It made me feel all kinds of feelings in 1 post.

Sometimes I think drama helps me escape reality and go into a safe zone where I can feel feelings safely. 

My friend commented that I may have evolved into otaku after committing to watch this K drama. I haven't been so obsessed in such a long time. 

• Like 3

let's think this way amnesia card is a necessity in most K-Dramas, I have watched 4 versions of "Fated to Love You" and on both they had amnesia..  

Spoiler

Boys over Flowers

Fated to Love you

Pinocchio 

Oh My Venus 

Dream High

Shining Inheritance

Trot Lovers

I hear your voice

Master's Sun

Stairway to Heaven

Nice Guy 

that i can remmeber of 

• Like 7

Fan pics of KS wearing the red scarf made me SO happy! 

I hope there are scenes of 'life after drama' and not, fade into sunset as a couple. I hope for some reality to end the show! So that it can give me hope about my life too.

@Sunshine_Her your suggested ending makes a lot of sense and it's very 'K-drama' indeed! Though it sounds smooth and familiar, I hope it goes something like what you said so that there are happy feelings created and not sad emotions.

@Jodi Herrera I missed the hidden meaning but it could be true, that he may have a way to come back to find her eventually. In an earlier ep, when discussing the catch 22 dilemma of KS dying vs ET dying, WY told him to fight the reality. So, your scenario sounds definitely possible.

• Like 6