[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

38 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

they showed it today.. apparently she is being poisioned

Aigo is it BR's step father? I didn't get a chance to check out the recap

1 hour ago, Yongzura said:

Just ended. 

Hello Chingu I'm happy your joining us

@fragglerock Hello chingu It starts at 9am US eastern time It does get confusing, I just missed it myself.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just saw ep 8 and caught up on ep 7. firstly ban ryu and sooyeons meeting was wild from start to finish. lol. its so much fun seeing him in a different light aside from moody and broody. his shocked face was priceless. he may be the coldest but he came off as such an innocent puppy. also loved the boys bonding more and that carried over to ep  8. so did the incident between BR and SY, it definitely affected the way he was behaving  and i have to say ban ryu was totally cute in this ep. i really like the slow mo walk with aro away from sun woo at the start in ep 8 coupled with that score. the conflict with the queen regent and ban ryu's step father, the whole politics side is building from what i can tell. looks like aro knows that sun woo isnt her brother at the end of the drama . it was so much fun seeing not only our main hwarang boys dance practicing but all the other hwarangs, such clueless kids all of them except suho, he was prepared with his dance lol. i dont think suho remembers the incident between BR and SY since she knocked him out. also BR got another letter form sooyeon and seems quite happy reading it but then idk if it was the same letter/a different one from sooyeon or a letter from someone else, but he seemed angry/upset and then ripped the paper up by the river side. anyways, ive gotta watch it again with subs and will comment more and its really late here so im half asleep lol. although we didnt get the princess in this ep, however next weeks preview looks kinda intense. both sun woo and aro seems angry and upset, ban ryu pulled out a knife, hwarang boys in the red attire etc. another good ep.

39 minutes ago, bila_a1 said:

i dont think suho remembers the incident between BR and SY since she knocked him out. also BR got another letter form sooyeon and seems quite happy reading it but then idk if it was the same letter/a different one from sooyeon or a letter from someone else, but he seemed angry/upset and then ripped the paper up by the river side.

If i did not understand the context and conversations wrongly, the 2nd letter most likely comes from his stepdad, asking him to ruin the upcoming Hwarang's performance in an attempt to kinda bring down the queen or diminish her credibility or so 

Hi~ 

I haven't gotten to start watching any of the eps yet to be completely honest but I am seeing posts of it here and there. But I noticed that Seo Ye Ji doesn't seemed to have appeares yet, is that correct? I don't know if it will be similar to Chae Soo Bin's character in MDBC in the way that she will appear after a few episodes has aired. Could anyone tell me if that is the case, or is it anything else? I can't imagine something like a switch of actress since it's preproduced...

1 hour ago, evie7 said:

Hello Chingu I'm happy your joining us

@evie7, yes I've been around :) but focussing more on the other dramas for now.  Still getting to know all the characters in this drama.

* Have been waiting for it after PSJ was in SWP.  

@juliacaesar, the Princess? According to the preview, she'll appear in the next episode.

34 minutes ago, sakura2016 said:

so I got home and watched the youtube videos of the episode as I didn't have free time to watch the full episode raw and it looks like it was a fun and great episode again!! :D now I'm going to watch the episode raw!! :w00t: 

classic was.. BR and everyone was worrying how SH would reacct to yesterday's events...

but with that head bump. he forgot... BR's face is to watch when SHcomes up to him and BR is abt to explain his side.. and SH smiles and is all chatty.. very very funny

i dont know, i want a romeo -juliet setting for this couple.. i want to see angsty BR, breaking the rules and chasing her toeternity

This post that I found/read on tumblr perfectly sums up my opinion of Sun Woo vs Sam Maek Jong for Ahro's affection: 

"here’s the thing: neither one of the boys in this triangle is obligated to Aro’s reciprocating their case of the feels. she owes them nothing. it doesn’t matter what they’ve “done” for her or how they’ve “expressed” their love. the fact is, the choice of who she loves is her own. if that’s Sammaekjong, then fine. Sun Woo? great! Han Sung? fantastic! Soo Yeon? i’m 100% here for it! her potential lovers can do what they will to gain her trust (and her love), but it in no way, shape, or form entitles them to it.

and constantly violating her space, her comfort zone, her wishes is not the way to do it. the first encounter she has with Sammaekjong involves him sneaking up on her in a dimly lit room and violating her space. he encourages her fear of him taking advantage of (ie: ravishing her) and asks for private one-on-one sessions of smutty storytelling. reminder: it’s nearly the exact scenario that Ban Ryu very crassly suggests to Sun Woo to get him riled up. it earns him the moniker of the Okta Pervert, suggesting that Aro didn’t find it “romantic” at all. he proceeds to pursue her doggedly, setting his bodyguard on her, trailing her and coming to find her at her home.

so then he aids Sun Woo in saving her. the dramabeans recapper articulated this perfectly, and i’ll quote:

But mostly I just love the way [Sun Woo] always thinks of Ah Ro first — a good example being when the boys rescued Ah Ro from the bandits. Ji-dwi just started manhandling her, trying to untie her, but without speaking to her first. Of course she thought he was a bandit there to hurt her! But Sun-woo slowed down, spoke softly, told her they were there to help, and she calmed right down. He thinks of her needs first, which is really nice to see. 

later he saves her from that richard simmons who beat up Mak Moon in the first episode, and yes that was very nice of him. Aro thanks him for it (and the time before) and promises that she’ll pay him back. and this is all that he is entitled to. gratitude? she’s given it to him along with her very trustworthy word that she’ll pay him back.

what he does is mark her; a very obvious violation of her boundaries, space, comfort zone, you name it. it’s a semi-permanent mark, almost as if he’s branding her. and indeed, he tells her that he’ll erase it for her when he deems the debt repaid. she calls him a scumbag then, and–rightly so. given that he uses this promise for monetary compensation to strongarm his way into her routines.

then when he still doesn’t get his way? (”stop talking about your orabeoni!”) he forces a kiss on her. 

so tl;dr: the “little gratitude” he’s earned from Aro has been given. saving her a couple of times does not entitle him to her feelings. and indeed, could anyone blame her for not wanting to reciprocate?"

8 hours ago, dani4lane said:

This post that I found/read on tumblr perfectly sums up my opinion of Sun Woo vs Sam Maek Jong for Ahro's affection: 

may i ask where did you find it on tumblr? it looks familiar..

8 hours ago, dani4lane said:

Although its fair to say that NO ONE (girl or boy) should invade someone's privacy but what is jarring is when "wmen" are given undue advantage for being women.

1. AR is at a bar telling raunching stories.. she tells them to earn money. Accepted. When SM came up to her, who asked her to compromise for money? At the end of the day she agreed to do it willingly for the money that takes away any benefit of doubt or "taking her side" on this entire thing.

Moreover, she is with a man/stranger in a room at a bar telling raunchy stories and apparently scared and falls asleep like that with him right there?

THe fact that the guy did nothing , or made her awkward in all of this is very telling, and i think it is one of those first moments when she knows that he may be a jerk/ overconfident self.. but he is not threat to her ( or that he would cross line beyond limits with her)

2. Second time he goes to meet her at her home.. making it obvious he is there to see her. In every encounter thereof, I honestly don't see AR's rejection of him. Minor irritation as to "why are you here again"

Again, the man is not stalking her. If he has kept someone to keep an eye on her for her safety, I don't think it compares to stalking against her will.

If that were the case, SW is also to fault. For a stranger, lying to the girl outright.. being physically close to her by taking advantage of the situation ( being brother gets him a free pass to be near her, for her to listen to him.. then should he be behaving the way he does.. because the truth is he is a stranger who actually has romantic feeling for her.. and is being all touchy feely without even telling her the truth)

3. I totally beg to differ on the caring bit - both of them care for her.. what works for AR is her own thing (and as far as the drama goes, its quite shallow a reason for AR.. she fell for SW for being handsome. period.) .. but between the men.. u can't say who cares more or not..  it took equal respect for her from SM to be the first to hit BR, to let SW go and him to stay back to fight the goons, to always be there to save her when she is not seeking him (please not, AR is definitely seeking SW to always be around to save her.. or is expecting him... SM goes unnoticed)

give the guy a break..he is as sincere as he can be and respectful.. and trying to woo his girl .. he will learn what works for his girl and what not.. just as every other relationship works in this world..

In case of SW, all is good not because all is good.. but because AR already harbours a crush on him.

And whoever said, you can't woo a girl if she is crushing on someone else. Untill not married, there is always hope.

( Even after the kiss, the way she reacted to the kiss.. it again reinforces how she doesn't view SM as a threat.. or the fact that she is not disgusted when she realizes that SM likes her for real.. she is actually sending out mixed signals.. 

On one hand you are trying to save a guy, not push him back from kissing you.. and another hand there are feminist lectures around it)

Everyone is confused rt now.. if SW's truth would not have come out now, AR would have started to take more notice of SM.. they are youngsters.. exploring their feelings.

SUBS are out

I cried when Ah Ro practectly stoped Sun Woo from proving any further that he's not her brother giving him an ecuse to not know about "their" mother being mute!! she didn't want to lose her brother that she believed she found nor him!! :tears: but she couldn't turne the blind eye any longer and faced him by the end of the episode!! :tears: 

DRAMA RECAPS
Hwarang: Episode 7
by LollyPip | January 10, 2017 | 44 Comments

Hwarang07-00178a.jpg

I really think the show is gaining in strength as it finally settles into its groove, especially as the Hwarang boys begin to learn to be a unified team rather than individual foes. As they face their first challenge and fight for the right to stay, they will each have to think about why they want to be here. They still have a long way to go, but at least they’re ready to take their first steps.

28_hwarang1.jpg

EPISODE 7 RECAP

read here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/01/hwarang-episode-7/

subs are out!! off to watch it now!! :w00t::wub: 

7 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Although its fair to say that NO ONE (girl or boy) should invade someone's privacy but what is jarring is when "wmen" are given undue advantage for being women.

Please stop replying to my posts because you keep coming up with reasons in trying to justify SMJ's actions and there is no justifications for it. As a woman I can't understand or see why you are excusing his problematic actions. If some man treated you the same way SMJ has treated Ahro wouldn't you have a problem with it. 

43 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

Please stop replying to my posts because you keep coming up with reasons in trying to justify SMJ's actions and there is no justifications for it. As a woman I can't understand or see why you are excusing his problematic actions. If some man treated you the same way SMJ has treated Ahro wouldn't you have a problem with it. 

lol.. no need to act angsty. i didn't realize its you.. 

suit yourself and take comfort in your theories

And my only problem with your theories is.. I would not condone them if you objectively analyze AR too and accept her share of responsiblity. Snce you choose to put all the blame on one person and compeltely overlook other's part in it.. is what makes me argue against it. If the argument faulted both, i would have completely sided with you

Not for you for sure!

Someone mentioned that the king married his cousin sister.. so the princess that we are going to see.. is she supposed to marry the king?

EDIT: OKpreview cleared it. Queen wants king to marry the princess and he says he will choose his own bride, so AR gets kidnapped.

However, interestingly, when queen is arguing with CP/King.. its kind of more tilted towards.. her being a protective mother in all of this and not bringing king tothe forefront right away (without strong backing) because she truly is being protective.

THe fact that she trusts no one in palace.. and the king will be killed as soon as he makes an appearance by the ministers.. is what is driving her to behave this way

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

then when he still doesn’t get his way? (”stop talking about your orabeoni!”) he forces a kiss on her.

That is not why he kissed her.  When she explained her drawing she hit a nerve and exposed his feelings.  The king in his confusion, vulnerability, and youth, kiss her, however, Ah-ro handled it well.

I want to remind everyone that we are talking about norms in the 6th century and not the 21st century. Many are applying today's views, which women had to fight for, to a drama about life in the 6th century. It is like comparing apples and watermelons.  Am I excusing the king's behavior, no; however, I am viewing the story in the context in which it was written.

As a woman, I know that women were not always treated with the same respect as they are treated in today's society.  Even today, there are still cultures that treat their women as a second class citizens at best and a commodity at worst. In some parts of the world; although, things are getting better, a woman can get rapped and the men get off without penalty, a woman can be killed by her male family members and nothing is done. Here in the States the women did not vote until 1920 and as of 2015 for every  $1.00 a male earns, a female earns $.80 cents.  When I look at how far women have come in the last 100 years, I am proud; however, I do not delude myself into thinking  that women, especially those who were not of the nobility were treated with respect especially during the 6th century.    

enigmatic_zephy,I know that you did not write this post, but were quoting dani4lane's post.

O.K...she got it...i'm glad....it was hard today to watch them...and will be next time but i like she knows....what if i won't have you as a brother?...wonder what MM will answer to her...sorry for the chrysanthemums ...wonder will she pick them up later anyway

King is trying so hard... but to bad ...she already gave her heart away and seems won't get it back 

Wonder who'll save AR from queen king or MM...queen will never learn :rolleyes:...if i were AR's father might as well let her be poisoned to death :vicx:

It was good SH doesn't remember clearly what happend...when he does he''ll calm down a bit

BR was so cute when he put girl's letter into his robe :wub:...i bet when this 2 finally meet again both will be so confused and funny :wub:

Can't wait for hwarangs dance :)...will be cute...and i bet BR won't betray his hwarangs

MM seems like with 2 left feet :lol:

Seems we'll get a shower scene in every episode...me like :blush:

Best line...girls having a drink...i like my brother...i like your brother too :lol:

9 minutes ago, zagigirl said:

Seems we'll get a shower scene in every episode...me like :blush:

d first time they showed, maybe because it wasn't explicit.. i didn't feel much..

but today, i was embarassed for the boys. I felt bad for them.. they literally do look naked.. and how difficutl it must have been to shoot.. its embarassing .. 

this is also objectification.. and yet we lap it up.. but reverse the situation and there would be such criticism..

guess world of fantasy comes with the understanding that beauty is on sale.. gotta expose

7 hours ago, Ainee Etp said:

I watch Hwarang for Park Seo Joon and to get over Moon Lovers. But now my favourite character is Sam Maek Jong. Always be there to give even though he is always under appreciated by Aro. Notice how Aro never said a thank you to him despite saving her numerous time? Horse riding accident (okay, maybe she didn't notice), kidnap scene (she kicked Maek Jong and basically forgotten that he's the one fighting off bad guys while MM took her away), when the bad middle class guy tried to do something to her for spoiling his shirt? Sam Maek Jong has short coming in expressing his concern/emotion but to be totally ignored by Aro is just so sad.

Agree with what you say 100% and love everything what you said about Sam Maek Jong! Hopefully Aro will show her gratefulness soon :)

18 hours ago, ferily said:

Haha yeah I was rewatching the preview and I was thinking how the preview can just be deceiving us thinking that Moo Myung is fighting Sam Maek Jong because he found out about his identity but he's just training or fighting him for some other reason. I know when he finds out though, Moo Myung will be upset :(

And yep! She said that in today's episode. I feel like Aro has more romantic feelings towards Maek Jong than Moo Myung though. Like I think as of right now, Aro only likes Moo Myung as a brother but for Maek Jong it might be a little different. Even if it's only a tiny tiny bit of feelings towards Maek Jong... Gah why is this drama pulling my heart :bawling:

sorry for the late reply but I was out and I went to watch the episode raw, read dramabeans recap for episode 7 then watched episode 8 again with english sub and only now I could reply!! :D 

I didn't see it though!! :) Ah Ro loved the feelings she gets being around Moo Myung: feeling safe, happy, she can rely on him and be hart for his hurt and as she never knew these kind of feelings before she assumed they are a brotherly feelings which Soo Yeon pointed to her that they aren't!! and the more she interacted with him the more those feelings grew and she even confessed in this episode how she wants him to be her brother but she doesn't want it too!! :D while for Maek Jong she keeps looking at him with "what do you want? why are you acting like this?" with no much feelings more than sympathy!! 

8 hours ago, evie7 said:

I noticed that too, It seems like the same symptoms that MM/SW has. Either he is related to her or we are being trolled big time. It seems the way they are showing him and the king but heads, the king listening to him and taking his pov to heart, that there is something that connects them.

It really is a good drama, I have switched over to this thread but I like both too. I hope when the other go's off the air the ratings will go up. I know we don't do much for the ratings but it is important for the actors.

I don't think she hates him even though if one of my brothers had tried that headlock w/me they would have gotten a swift kick.  Soo Ho needs to grow up a bit. I'm just scared for him w/this crush on the queen. She is going to use it against him. 

yes I know!! hhhhhh I was kidding!! :lol: I just meant that she didn't really like his harsh acts to her as we saw how she wanted to take her revenge on him but ended up pulling Ban Ryu in the matter!! :lol: 

Oh My God!! I'm terrified of that!! though I hope he wan't fall for it!! :( he's too 

Archived