[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@brielover Great insight about the symbol of water and the myth of Goreyo's foundation.  good job onion head I loved itcrazy monkey  as it forced me to think a little deeper. I am glad that @bluemoony added two more observations: Yo and Mu were als blessed from Hae Soo (tea or water) so that we can conclude that she is the one who decides who will be king. But she has no idea about her own function.

Your information explains now why Hae Soo is so loved by the princes (except one). Hae Soo symbolises the country/nation Goreyo therefore the princes will fight for her. Hae Soo is the metapher for the nation. As such, first she tries to unify the brothers (just like unifying the country/ she is nice to all the princes), but at some point, they become more selfish and ambitious so that they will claim Hae Soo as their own and fight for it/her. As conclusion, Wang So's claim is really interesting: just before he goes to the ceremony, he claims her as his!! So he reveals his ambition. Sure, in the drama he is only claiming the woman Hae Soo as his, but if we consider Hae Soo as a metapher for the country, then in reality he is already claiming for the throne.  

Striking is that Yo is the only one who ignores Hae Soo and even looks down on her. This makes me think that Yo's real desire is not to become King, but he has to. He has no real ambition at all, he is just doing it in order to get his mother's love ad recognition. His mother is the one who wants him to become the King so that she can rule the country by using her son. I find it very striking that Yoo tries to act like the kingmaker and as such she wants to shine like the sun, but she is fake: Hae Soo is the real one.

Furthermore we have two princes who have less romantical interest for Hae Soo: Baek Ah and Eun. Both are considered by Hae Soo as friends. Striking is that they both are not interested in becoming a king, while all the others are. Even Jung who seems so innocent and young is actually more ambitious than it meets the eye. He is the one who said to Hae Soo:

- Since you saved my life, my life is yours. These words could be seen: he will dedicate his life for the nation, for Goreyo.

- Moreover, he is shown fighting and he even came once with a sword and told Hae Soo to watch him how he will become a great man and fighter. Baek Ah and Eun are portrayed differently. Eun loves playing and he can't stand killing animals, while Baek Ah is seen drawing. He is more into arts and he has ideals. He only wishes to be free. Both show no real ambition.

As you can see, the nature of the relationship to Hae Soo matters: the friends are not interested in her and as such, they are not ambitious; the romantic ones are ambitious and the one who is not interested in her, he only acts for his mother. It is not his true ambition. Now, you'll ask: what's with Mu and Won?

Notice that Mu has become a supporter of Hae Soo (he helped Wang So to convince Ji Mong to help them to stop the wedding). He treats her well so that she is supporting him. Furthermore he is sick (his physical weakness represents his political weakness) so that he needs Hae Soo's help. Therefore he will become a king but not for long as he is weak and he is not ambitious like his other brothers. We heard his conversation to Ji Mong. He is not really interested and he feels his position as a burden, while Wang So is really embracing Hae Soo (and as such the duty to rule the country). 

I would like to point out that Won, the 9th prince, is ambitious but he is more like Wang Wook in the sense that he doesn't show it. He is waiting and looking to partner up with the strongest one. The way he is behaving around Yo is telling. His ambition can be seen through his wealth and taking care of his own body. He asked Yo in the episode 1 to look at his muscles, a metapher for his strength. So he is training his muscles. this could be interpretated as if he was preparing his own army. As such, he needs money therefore he is wealthy. His wealth is witnessed at the birthday party. Funny is that his biggest weakness is his talk. He always says something inappropriate ("she is as good as a gisaeng; next time she will die aso") so that he is criticised by his brothers. To me, this inability to talk can be seen as an lack of political support. He is not a good thinker and talker so that he will never get the support he wants. 

Finally, I have to talk about Wang Wook. Above, I mentioned his ambition without really explaining it. As such, we need to talk about his relationship with Hae Soo since she is the metaphore for the nation. Lady Hae was the one who wanted him to marry Hae Soo implying that he should be the one who claims Hae Soo as his own, but he refused to do it, too scared and afraid of the consequences. Nonetheless, he claimed her as his in front of Wang So, revealing that he had always seen the throne and nation as his, as if it was his due. Nonetheless, he is scared as well. Since he wants to possess Hae Soo (the nation) therefore we can see it as an ambition. He claims Hae Soo as his without doing anything. On the other hand, Wang Wook is the one who is supported by many. Remember, he told to his wife that many would come to him. In my opinion, he was building his net of supporters (the supply for food episode 3). He is pushed by his family in that direction, but unsure to do it. However, deep down he wants it. His passivity towards Hae Soo is explained by this feeling that the throne is entitled to him. He doesn't need to take concrete steps and he only waits because at some point, he will get the throne/Hae soo. I have just observed that he was the one who asked for Hae Soo's feelings which offers another possibility to go to the meta level: he wants to get chosen by Hae Soo, without doing anything. As conclusion, Wang Wook is the kind of prince who expects to become king without being really active like his other brothers (Jung, Won or Wang So).

As conclusion, the princes represent different kind of princes and their attitude towards the throne, like f. ex.

- a puppet: like Yo

- Won: someone with money but lacking in political support and he is not clever

Thanks to you @brielover, we can see a glimpse of the evolution of our drama and the ending:

- Hae Soo will reject Wang So first (he shows his pure ambition which shocks her) therefore she will distance herself from him. That's why he will struggle first so that Mu and Yo will become king before him.

- Hae Soo will realise that being ambitious is not something negative as such or that he was forced to so that she will finally love him implying she is supporting him.

- She will influence him in a good way so that he is first a good king.

- But at some point, they will be separated  (due to his obsession: his love for Goreyo will be too strong so that he overdoes it) therefore Wang So will change into a different ruler and king which will lead to hae Soo's death. Leaving him will change him: he will become the ruler she feared.

Okay, that's it. Thanks a lot for the support as people keep asking for my analysis. I hoped, it wasn't too boring. MAybe it was too long;) 

Tell me what you think about it... I am eager to get some feedback. @Yongzura @valsava @littleloony @junee22 @evie7 @40somethingahjumma

Wow, @Bebelicious, that's a great analysis.  I was thinking about this too - how each prince connects to  Hae Su if she represents the lifeblood/water of Goryeo and chooses the king.  Re Mu - interesting that she pours some water out to heal him but is stopped from completing the process.  As if those ministrations were cut short (as his life will be).  Re Yo - unlike the Crown Prince, she's forced into serving him, and burns him a bit while doing it.  One gets the sense that he wants the throne but not Goryeo itself, and the people/land/nobles are going to "burn" him if they can.  We'll see!  Regarding the others, yes, I can really see the possibilities you mention, especially the friends vis a vis the lovers, as those who are friends to her and those who romantically love her.  Wook and So's battle for Goryeo will likely mirror their battle for her.  Fun to look forward to.

I just watched the subbed version and gosh this is getting good.  My only complaint is that there is now one less episode to watch!

• Like 18

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Could it be connected to the poisonous tea that Wang So drank in order to protect Hae Soo?

From my point of view, Wang So still doesn't know about the relationship between Wook and Hae Soo and I believe, he will discover it in the next episode. Therefore he will claim that she is his and not Wook's. On the other hand, Hae Soo will be the reason why Wang Wook might join forces with Yo because of what she told him about Wang So.

@brielover Great insight about the symbol of water and the myth of Goreyo's foundation.  good job onion head I loved itcrazy monkey  as it forced me to think a little deeper. I am glad that @bluemoony added two more observations: Yo and Mu were als blessed from Hae Soo (tea or water) so that we can conclude that she is the one who decides who will be king. But she has no idea about her own function.

Your information explains now why Hae Soo is so loved by the princes (except one). Hae Soo symbolises the country/nation Goreyo therefore the princes will fight for her. Hae Soo is the metapher for the nation. As such, first she tries to unify the brothers (just like unifying the country/ she is nice to all the princes), but at some point, they become more selfish and ambitious so that they will claim Hae Soo as their own and fight for it/her. As conclusion, Wang So's claim is really interesting: just before he goes to the ceremony, he claims her as his!! So he reveals his ambition. Sure, in the drama he is only claiming the woman Hae Soo as his, but if we consider Hae Soo as a metapher for the country, then in reality he is already claiming for the throne.  

Striking is that Yo is the only one who ignores Hae Soo and even looks down on her. This makes me think that Yo's real desire is not to become King, but he has to. He has no real ambition at all, he is just doing it in order to get his mother's love ad recognition. His mother is the one who wants him to become the King so that she can rule the country by using her son. I find it very striking that Yoo tries to act like the kingmaker and as such she wants to shine like the sun, but she is fake: Hae Soo is the real one.

Furthermore we have two princes who have less romantical interest for Hae Soo: Baek Ah and Eun. Both are considered by Hae Soo as friends. Striking is that they both are not interested in becoming a king, while all the others are. Even Jung who seems so innocent and young is actually more ambitious than it meets the eye. He is the one who said to Hae Soo:

- Since you saved my life, my life is yours. These words could be seen: he will dedicate his life for the nation, for Goreyo.

- Moreover, he is shown fighting and he even came once with a sword and told Hae Soo to watch him how he will become a great man and fighter. Baek Ah and Eun are portrayed differently. Eun loves playing and he can't stand killing animals, while Baek Ah is seen drawing. He is more into arts and he has ideals. He only wishes to be free. Both show no real ambition.

As you can see, the nature of the relationship to Hae Soo matters: the friends are not interested in her and as such, they are not ambitious; the romantic ones are ambitious and the one who is not interested in her, he only acts for his mother. It is not his true ambition. Now, you'll ask: what's with Mu and Won?

Notice that Mu has become a supporter of Hae Soo (he helped Wang So to convince Ji Mong to help them to stop the wedding). He treats her well so that she is supporting him. Furthermore he is sick (his physical weakness represents his political weakness) so that he needs Hae Soo's help. Therefore he will become a king but not for long as he is weak and he is not ambitious like his other brothers. We heard his conversation to Ji Mong. He is not really interested and he feels his position as a burden, while Wang So is really embracing Hae Soo (and as such the duty to rule the country). 

I would like to point out that Won, the 9th prince, is ambitious but he is more like Wang Wook in the sense that he doesn't show it. He is waiting and looking to partner up with the strongest one. The way he is behaving around Yo is telling. His ambition can be seen through his wealth and taking care of his own body. He asked Yo in the episode 1 to look at his muscles, a metapher for his strength. So he is training his muscles. this could be interpretated as if he was preparing his own army. As such, he needs money therefore he is wealthy. His wealth is witnessed at the birthday party. Funny is that his biggest weakness is his talk. He always says something inappropriate ("she is as good as a gisaeng; next time she will die aso") so that he is criticised by his brothers. To me, this inability to talk can be seen as an lack of political support. He is not a good thinker and talker so that he will never get the support he wants. 

Finally, I have to talk about Wang Wook. Above, I mentioned his ambition without really explaining it. As such, we need to talk about his relationship with Hae Soo since she is the metaphore for the nation. Lady Hae was the one who wanted him to marry Hae Soo implying that he should be the one who claims Hae Soo as his own, but he refused to do it, too scared and afraid of the consequences. Nonetheless, he claimed her as his in front of Wang So, revealing that he had always seen the throne and nation as his, as if it was his due. Nonetheless, he is scared as well. Since he wants to possess Hae Soo (the nation) therefore we can see it as an ambition. He claims Hae Soo as his without doing anything. On the other hand, Wang Wook is the one who is supported by many. Remember, he told to his wife that many would come to him. In my opinion, he was building his net of supporters (the supply for food episode 3). He is pushed by his family in that direction, but unsure to do it. However, deep down he wants it. His passivity towards Hae Soo is explained by this feeling that the throne is entitled to him. He doesn't need to take concrete steps and he only waits because at some point, he will get the throne/Hae soo. I have just observed that he was the one who asked for Hae Soo's feelings which offers another possibility to go to the meta level: he wants to get chosen by Hae Soo, without doing anything. As conclusion, Wang Wook is the kind of prince who expects to become king without being really active like his other brothers (Jung, Won or Wang So).

As conclusion, the princes represent different kind of princes and their attitude towards the throne, like f. ex.

Thanks to you @brielover, we can see a glimpse of the evolution of our drama and the ending:

- Hae Soo will reject Wang So first (he shows his pure ambition which shocks her) therefore she will distance herself from him. That's why he will struggle first so that Mu and Yo will become king before him.

- Hae Soo will realise that being ambitious is not something negative as such or that he was forced to so that she will finally love him implying she is supporting him.

- But at some point, they will be separated  (due to his obsession: his love for Goreyo will be too strong so that he overdoes it) therefore Wang So will change into a different ruler and king which will lead to hae Soo's death. Leaving him will change him: he will become the ruler she feared.

Okay, that's it. Thanks a lot for the support as people keep asking for my analysis. I hoped, it wasn't too boring. MAybe it was too long;) 

Tell me what you think about it... I am eager to get some feedback. @Yongzura @valsava @littleloony @junee22 @evie7 @40somethingahjumma

The metaphor is really interesting and your analysis insightful, but in my opinion your conclusions at the end of the post are too early to be drawn... I don't necessarily agree with all those predictions. 

• Like 10

even though i loved how they showed Wang So's future darkened emperor version, i really had to laugh at how Hae Soo saw a VISION. i guess she got a superpower when she timetraveled. this is fantasy, so anything can happen, but i wished Hae Soo just remembers that she learned that it was 4th prince who became GwangJong in her history class in school. I mean she could have even guessed it! she remembered that Gwangjong was 4th emperor, so if she guessed that the order goes with oldest to youngest. then current emperor, crown prince, prince Yo, then prince So or prince Wook. and when she considers So and Wook's personalities, she could guess that Gwangjong is prince So who is known to be cruel.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:
Spoiler

Could it be connected to the poisonous tea that Wang So drank in order to protect Hae Soo?

From my point of view, Wang So still doesn't know about the relationship between Wook and Hae Soo and I believe, he will discover it in the next episode. Therefore he will claim that she is his and not Wook's. On the other hand, Hae Soo will be the reason why Wang Wook might join forces with Yo because of what she told him about Wang So.

Interesting reading. I feel like I am back at school trying to interpret a piece of Shakespeare's work. If your analysis is right and the mythology of the river god's daughter played a part in the writer's mind, then I feel this drama's story is even better than the original Chinese novel.  However, I doubt that the writer of MLSHR had such intricate complexities to the plot in mind.  Too bad, it would make a good literary piece of its own and not an adaptation of the C-novel.  

• Like 10

This might help some of your questions regarding lady SG and the King relationship

I was asking about lady SG also previously and someone reply on my inquiry (I'm sorry I forgot who and I lost track on the post also...been searching it but seems I missed it...bian). 

I got this desc from page 1 

CrlJ-9pUkAEwXPM.jpg

Lady SG and King Taejo was once a lover, and she being hard on HS because she knew princes are close with her and she had special connection with some of them too. I didn't know whether lady SG know about HS and Wook or HS and So. But knowing that HS path to be married with one of the throne keeper it is impossible as she is experienced it herself. To have her self near king Taejo and stay with him she sacrifice herself staying at the Damiwon, and she know it hard, so she doesn't want HS end up like her.

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

I interpret hae soo's as revelation more than a premonition or a vision as if she has superpower. Go Ha Jin knows about Gwanjong but she doesn't know exactly who among those princes who  Gwang Jong is (because it is a post humous name to be given after the king dies) .

In reality, we only see photos /images of kings/emperors /royalties but we don't exactly know their physical/actual appearance. 

Also , she had wondered between the two (episode 6 ) but she could her judgment didnt come easily because she did not base the personality of one person to gauge who the terror king is. I think she never thought about Gwanjong as the 4th prince either. I like how inadequate her history lesson is, making her character closer to reality. I for one can not memorize a complete set of historical facts without digging the books. :sweatingbullets:

Gwangjong is one of the well known king/emperor. he isn't as well known as Sejong the Great, but still well known enough. and she doesn't need physical appearance. she just needs to know which prince becomes the emperor.

i don't like the fact that the drama didn't let her catch on. she didn't even think hard enough to guess who might be Gwangjong. if she guessed like i said. oldest to youngest. and she already knows he's 4th emperor. then it's easy guess. it most likely be either prince So or prince Wook. and in guessing, it's not weird to think about their personality, because she remembers that 4th emperor was known to be cruel. and it's normal for her to conclude that it might be 4th prince So. 

there is easy way for her to remember who is 4th prince, even if she might not be 100% sure about it.

i just didn't like how she suddenly knows that it's 4th prince who becomes 4th emperor out of the blue.

• Like 12

My blood is still boiling since last nite..the different version of ep.8 really making me pissed off with SBS...

I guess SBS has decided to edit all episodes last minute...either they didnt give the edited version to One channel or One channel has no time to edit the subtitles as they had already subbed the old version with a few languages for the drama and One decided to air the old version as they assumed no much changes were made in those episodes..damnn you SBS! :angry:

• Like 7

THE KINGMAKER

bbks8_21

Soo unwittingly becomes a kingmaker, with the help of BB cream, no less. This episode properly set up So’s unwavering ambition to become king. His scar covered, his fate sealed by the heavens, the discarded, unloved prince has tasted what it is like to be loved and respected by others…so heaven help those who stand in between he and the throne, including Soo. Its the height of irony that she healing him both physically and emotionally may have turned him from a fabled monster into a real monster…Best episode so far.

YES – there are different versions floating around again. I have watched both and at the top of my head, the non-domestic version is missing/featuring different aspects of the following scenes: So having a chat with his mom after Lady Oh saves Soo; Yo’s chat with his mom after So runs away from the rain ceremony; Soo making BB cream in her room; Soo telling So that the scar isn’t important to her as much as whether he is a good person; AND the important scene where So announces to Soo that he will never let go and almost kisses her. WHAT???? I don’t get why SBS would cut THAT scene out when it is gosh-darned swoony and important to set Soo-So shippers on fire. I didn’t cover the sweet scenes between Soo and Wook, and some others, because if I’m going to attempt to review this drama regularly, I would be focusing on So’s tumultuous fight and journey to the throne.

Soo goes after So, and he whirls upon her angrily, ordering her to look at him properly. She does and he snaps that he hates the look in her eyes. Soo is confused and So thinks she thinks he is pathetic and pities him. He warns her to stay out of his sight – he cannot guarantee what he’ll do to her the next time he sees her. OMO. LJK…so glorious in anger and vulnerability.

bbks8_1

bbks8_2

Spoiler

So broods later that night and the adorable Baek Ah visits him in his ivory tower. The younger prince apologises for not being able to help his hyung earlier and So chides him for not looking at him when he took off his mask. Baek Ah replies bashfully that he thought So did not want him to see his scar so he didn’t look his way. So muses the that human heart is fickle – he was angry at those who looked at him and those who didn’t. With a tiny indulgent smile, he gently tells Baek Ah to look at him in the eye at all times – that is what he wants his little bro to do. Touched and relieved his beloved hyung isn’t mad at him, Baek Ah happily agrees to do just that. AWWWWWWWWWWWWW. This bromance tops EVERYTHING – and I mean everything.

bbks8_3

bbks8_4

Wook’s mom has tea with the princes, and Soo is there to serve the favourite tea of each prince to their delight. Baek Ah has a knowing smirk on his cutie face (What can I do? I love Joo Hyukie!) as Soo serves So his tea…to which he curtly declines, saying that now isn’t the time to enjoy the pleasure of sipping tea when the country is plunged in a middle of a drought. Wook’s mom agrees. Ohhh… all the princes are dressed in pastel and silver except So. Interesting metaphor to show that though he is now living in the palace with his brothers, he is still considered an outcast. I love dark colours so I’ll just add that So has great taste in fashion. Heh.

Later, Soo bickers with Baek Ah, demanding to know whether he got his information right – So likes naewon tea and sweet snacks right????? It was the tea she tried to serve him earlier. Haha. Baek Ah grumbles that he’s sure and he made sure to ask ALL the princes their favourites in order to dispel suspicion that he was fishing only for info on So. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

bbks8_5

Soo wonders why So is still so angry with her when she has been trying her best to appease him. Hehehe. I wonder what else she did. Baek Ah retorts she should just ask So himself what she can do to appease his anger. HEH. Baek Ah is equally confounded since So readily made up with the other princes…and wonders out aloud whether So likes… Soo? He pretends to flirt with Soo in front of the other palace maids, muttering this is her punishment for failing to appease So.

Soo treats the Crown Prince secretly and runs into So. They don’t exchange words: Soo averts her gaze while So stares after her, looking a tad guilty. Soo gets into trouble with Yo’s mom and Lady Oh saves her using pure wits and guts. Second to the bromance between So and Baek Ah, I love the womance between Soo and Lady Oh. Lady Oh is furious at Soo for treating the Crown Prince in private and slaps her for her disobedience. Soo riles that she doesn’t get why Lady Oh is so strict with her and Lady Oh bursts out that the younger woman reminds her of herself – someone who trusts people easily, causes trouble and is fearless. She states that like her, Soo shouldn’t be in the palace and fears for her life. Awwwwww…. Lady Oh faints in pain (she has a stomach ailment) and Soo looks after her. Soo assures her she can be careful like Lady Oh and survive in the palace. She cutely adds that Lady Oh can depend on her too where needed. Goodness. Love these two, too.

Meanwhile, So warns his mother it ain’t a good idea to be on bad terms with Lady Oh.

The king prays for rain to no avail so Ji Mong suggests they do a ballot and select a prince to pray in his stead. All the princes throw their lot and the more cowardly ones blanch when they find out that if you get chosen and it doesn’t rain when you pray, you’ll be executed. But So dryly points out that prayers don’t bring the rain – you just have to pray until it rains. Yep. Life outside the palace has sharpened his intellect and develop him some good old useful common sense.

So’s name gets drawn and the king instructs him to lead the rain ceremony. So is stunned and later asks Ji Mong why they (he and the king) picked him – so it is rigged. Ji Mong denies the fact but So is obviously not convinced.The day arrives and So is paraded through the streets, wearing his ceremonial garb. But once the citizens see that is the cursed 4th Prince, they ridicule him and throw rocks at him. Ouch. So literally has a mental breakdown, and the citizens follow him to the palace gates, hurling insults and rocks at him. When So sees everyone from his parents, his brothers, the ministers and the servants staring at him, he runs away like a scared, little boy. Yo and evil mom revels in So’s disgrace. I do not get this mother. Baek Ah attempts to run after So but Jung stops him. GAH. I love Baek Ah for loving So.

bbks8_7

bbks8_8

Yo and his mom are stumped that the king and Ji Mong are letting So lead the ceremony – evil mom knows the ballot is rigged. She explains to Yo that it isn’t heavens that control the people, but the opposite. She goes on to state that it isn’t the prayers that bring the rain, but the person just has to pray until it rains. Yo is unsettled that So and Mom are uncanny in their thinking. It’s rattles him a little knowing So is more like their mom than he is. I’m not surprised that So inherited his cunning, ruthlessness and intelligence from his mom. It’s ironic and it’s a slap to her face if she knew.

So goes into hiding but Soo finds him snoozing in a boat by the river. She loses her balance while getting on the boat and lands next to So. They have a moment before Soo informs him everyone is worried about him. She comforts him, saying that people would forget what happened. So muses whether she knows why she was born and she replies she doesn’t but she does know that whether she is born rich or poor, she has the power to live her life the way she wants it to be. That seems to stir something in So.

bbks8_9

Soo can’t sleep that night and grouses that it is all so So’s fault for asking her why she was born. She springs out of bed and starts to make… BB cream??? HAHAHAHAHA. Okay. I know it’s to cover So’s scar but still it tickles me it is the famous Korean BB cream.

Ji Mong is unsuccessful in persuading So to lead the rain ceremony again. The Crown Prince is late in rushing back to take So’s place (since Yo bribed bandits to waylay his journey back to the palace). So refuses and Ji Mong airs his disappointment that So is giving up so easily. He tells the prince he is too fixated on his scar to achieve anything. That seems to rile So and he grabs his ceremonial garb.

Just then, Soo appears with her magic BB cream and requests So to let her take off his mask. He lets her and she pins his fringe to the side, allowing her – and US – to finally see a two-eyed Lee Jun Ki and get a clear view of the view. It runs from under his left ear, up his nose, straight through the middle of his forehead and into his hairline. Some may think the scar is nothing but imagine a little boy carrying this scar (which I would think hurt like crazy when it was being stitched and probably took ages to heal) and my heart breaks.

bbks8_10

bbks8_11

So is practically bristling with insecurity as Soo traces his scar with care. So catches her hand and asks defensively whether she feels pity for him because of his scarred face. Soo smiles and replies she can’t pity someone who keeps threatening to kill her. Soo says that the scar isn’t important to her as much as whether he is a good person. That seems to settle So and he lets her touch his scar again. Soo opines the scar isn’t any bigger than her hand yet is inhibiting So from living a full life, which is unfair. So gives a tiny smile at that.

So: Can I really trust you? I’m always curious and suspicious whether I should.

Soo: Previously, I always trust people and always get betrayed in return. So I understand how difficult it is to trust someone. So I won’t ever change. If you trust me, I won’t change. I promise.

So: Since it’s you, I think I can leave myself in your hands. Do what you want with me because at this moment, I am yours. (Someone catch me as I SWOON dead away!!!!)

So stares at Soo hard – I’m dying at LJK’s expression…with two eyes now so it’s double the effect. She is obviously affected by his words (Who the hell wouldn’t be????). So close his eyes, trusting her. Soo takes a deep breath and gets to work.

bbks8_12

Meanwhile, the Crown Prince is no where to be seen and Yo is selected to lead the ceremony since he is next in line to the throne. Soo dabs on the BB cream and when So opens his eyes, they gaze at each other. When Soo is all done, So’s scar is barely visible.

bbks8_13

bbks8_14

The drum sounds and it’s time for So to leave. Soo hurries him but he pulls her close to him and we get to ogle and admire the perfect symmetry of LJK’s pretty mien.

So: Do you remember? I once said you are mine. Then, now, the moment you touched my face, I decided I wanted you to become my person [mine]. Take your time to accept this [in your heart]. I’m definitely not going to let you go.

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. Be it his voice, his tone, his beauty, the expression in his eyes…. LKJ is killer here. So leans to kiss Soo but when he sees she is shocked senseless and motionless, he gallantly lets her be and swaggers away. OMOMOMOMOMO…. I don’t think I ever swooned so seriously in a looooong time. Maybe since Faith. Soo grabs on to the jade bracelet Wook gave her desperately as she tries to calm her racing heart.

bbks8_16

bbks8_17

Yo is just about to hop onto the sedan chair when So appears, wearing his mask. When So claims he is going to lead the ceremony, Yo slaps him and the mask falls off. Yo is stunned to see that So’s scar has disappeared. So confidently climbs on and starts down the streets again. The citizens are shocked to see it’s him again but when they discover his scar is gone, they switch gears and begin to worship and pay respect to him. So absorbs this newfound adoration with greedy eagerness and continues the ritual with confidence. The seed of ambition has been planted. You can see it in So’s eyes as he takes in the citizens bowing and praying to him in earnest. He feels the first stirring of power.

bbks8_18

He marches into the palace grounds, with the people trailing him faithfully. Everyone is surprised to see his scar has gone and Wook knows it’s Soo’s doing. Awwwww…. love how happy, smug and proud Baek Ah is. So pauses in front of his mom mockingly before he proceeds.

bbks8_19

bbks8_20

So walks up the steps to the top of the altar. He pauses to turn around and smile at Soo. She smiles back but suddenly, she sees a vision of him robed as the king. Her smile fades and she wonders whether she is hallucinating. A raindrop falls on her.

bbks8_22

bbks8_23

The heavens open and rain starts to fall…and everyone savours the cool shower except Soo, who is downright trembling with fright now. So, who was equally flabbergasted at first, turns around to find Soo again. He smiles at her again, this time with cunning, and he faces forward, his jaw set, his eyes taking on a new fire of ambition and determination. You know that So has made his mind he wants the throne. Soo realises she is looking at the next king of Goryeo. Ya know…just the king who killed nearly all his brothers in order to gain the throne.

bbks8_24

bbks8_25

bbks8_26

https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/2016/09/19/21575/

• Like 24