Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

Pachinko: 5 things to know before watching the Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung & Kim Min Ha starrer

pachinko_main_0.jpg?width=752&format=web

Apple TV+’s upcoming triple language series is expected to sweep the world with its generational narrative that deals with the struggles and the troubles of a family of immigrants. ‘Pachinko’ spans over 4 generations in the Korean household.

Pachinko:
Originally Pachinko is a game machine, popular in Japan. It is used for gambling with automatic machinery and looks like a pinball setup. It was popular in the country during the 1900s and was manned by many Zainichi Koreans. The word ‘pachin’ is taken from the sound of the machine, while the ‘ko’ represents the small stature of the machine.

The history:
‘Zainichi’ stands for foreigners. The term ‘Zainichi Korean’ is used for people who took residence in Japan. Many of them still reside in the country and are one of the largest minorities.

The books:
The show is based on the books written by author Min Jin Lee. The original work is spread over three parts, woven together by the time shifting story of the fictional family. While one does not need to read the books to understand the series, it is definitely a worthy read.

The characters:
Sunja: She is the protagonist delivered by Jeon Yu Na, Kim Min Ha and Youn Yuh Jung in her three stages of life, childhood, adulthood and old age.
Hansu: Played by the superstar Lee Min Ho, his portrayal as a Korean with connections in Japan is highly anticipated.
Solomon: The grandson of Sunja who carries the absolute edge of the story, played by the talented Jin Ha.

The details:
Pachinko’ will be released as an 8-episode series with the first three episodes premiering on March 25 on Apple TV+. It has been directed by Kogonada and Justin Chon, 4 parts each.

source : PinkVilla

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/pachinko-5-things-know-watching-lee-min-ho-youn-yuh-jung-kim-min-ha-starrer-1051923

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

8 minutes ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I can't watch on Apple Tv, it is not on the Canadian one, so I have to find it somewhere else if I can.

@syntyche That is so lucky hun.

@backstreetboysfan ohhh.....really? But, Canada is on Apple's list for Apple TV +. Apple TV+ has been in Canada since 2019 yet. As far as I know, Sweden is not on the list. Since Apple TV does not have native VPN support, you’ll have to rely on other alternatives for using VPN on Apple TV in Canada. You will not directly install the VPN on Apple TV but instead on other devices.  :kitty:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, willenette said:

@backstreetboysfan ohhh.....really? But, Canada is on Apple's list for Apple TV +. Apple TV+ has been in Canada since 2019 yet. As far as I know, Sweden is not on the list. Since Apple TV does not have native VPN support, you’ll have to rely on other alternatives for using VPN on Apple TV in Canada. You will not directly install the VPN on Apple TV but instead on other devices.  

Yeah it's not, even Dr Brian wasn't on there, so I had to watch elsewhere. Apple TV Canada must not have a deal to show the K-Drama's.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina said:

Lee Min-ho Helps ‘Pachinko’ Soar Off the Page

Lee Min-ho, one of Korea’s most famous screen actors, is about to win the hearts of audiences worldwide.

The swoony 34-year-old actor stars as one of the leads of “Pachinko” for Apple TV+, a high-budget series adaptation of Min Jin Lee’s 2017 epic novel. The story, set across Korea, Japan and America, spans over a century and follows four generations of a Korean immigrant family.

The series stars an international ensemble cast, including “Minari” Oscar winner Youn Yuh-jung as the story’s main protagonist, Sunja. Min-ho stars as Hansu, a wealthy businessman who has an affair, and son born out of wedlock, with Sunja.

“I definitely resonated with my character, Hansu,” says Min-ho, speaking through a translator over Zoom last week; Min-ho was in Los Angeles for the show’s splashy premiere. “I could really put myself in his shoes because [Hansu] was living through very difficult times. And I think everyone has…something that’s difficult inside them. Hansu had to make certain decisions, do certain actions, and there are some words that he had to say in order to survive,” he adds. “So I could really resonate with him on that end.”

The production invited Min-ho, a bona fide star, to audition for the role of Hansu through a Korean production team. “That’s when I got the script for the first time. And I read the script and it was so breathtaking and powerful that I wanted to be part of this project for sure,” says the actor, adding that he was familiar with the bestselling book beforehand but didn’t read it until after he’d booked the part.

“When I do a project that has an original novel, I try not to rely too much on it because as an actor I have to be creative and make my own decisions in building that character,” he says.

Min-ho worked closely with the film’s creator and showrunner Soo Hugh and directors Kogonada and Justin Chon to bring the world of “Pachinko” to life.

“What I really liked about working with them was that they weren’t trying to be commercial in their approaches. So all the cuts and the sequences, I thought that they flowed well. And they would sometimes take the slow pace to really show the emotions and the authenticity of the show,” he says.

“The world changes quickly nowadays. People have so much information flooding into them. They take so much time trying to [take in] that information, that they take less time looking at themselves, looking at their own emotions,” he adds. “Our show gives audiences the opportunity to think about themselves and to think about the people around you and be true to your emotions. Personally speaking, that was the exact same thing that I took away from the show.”

After his brief trip Stateside, the actor was headed back to Korea, where he will next star in a Korean drama series, and a “digital movie using the metaverse.” Min-ho also recently appeared in Hugo Boss’ “Be Your Own Boss” campaign as an ambassador for the brand.

“A boss for me is my mom,” says Min-ho in a short video clip posted to his Instagram account, where he clocks over 28 million followers. “A boss is a person who shoulders the heaviest responsibilities, no matter the circumstances. Someone with the mental toughness to lead others and a compassionate personality.”

Minho, who was also recently named an ambassador for Fendi, connects the role of fashion in “Pachinko” — used to reflect a distinct place and time within the series — with using clothing as a storytelling tool off-screen.

“Acting and cooperating with a fashion brand are two very different things,” he says. “But brands, just like shows, have their own colors and charms, and we have to translate them into what fits into the world now. So that’s a fun opportunity for me.”

“It’s an honor for me to become an actor because I can experience both worlds at the same time.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/lee-min-ho-helps-pachinko-040520910.html

@nina_mitrokhina  thanks for sharing this. I'm glad that media outlets and critics made a great deal of praise on "Pachinko" especially on Rotten Tomatoes. The drama recorded a very large tomato-meter of 100%. Above all, I'm so happy that ahead of its premiere tomorrow March 25th, media and critics around the world are pouring out their approval for LMH's performance in the show. This is how the show is reviewed on Rotten Tomatoes.   :heart3:

still_01.png

22170929-whatsapp-image-2022-03-22-at-44

photo source Apple TV

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

BBC: Praise on Pachinko

Pachinko review: A 'dazzling, heartfelt Korean epic'

The Korean TV family epic is 'unsurpassed among recent series', writes Caryn James.

The family epic is a shop-worn genre, but the creators of Pachinko reinvent it in their dazzling, heartfelt series about four generations of a Korean family that moves to Japan. The story starts in a poor fishing village in 1915, when Korea was under Japanese occupation, and goes through to the polished world of high finance in Tokyo and New York in 1989. But that saga is delivered with such artistry and imagination – including the passionate yet restrained emotions of the actors, the elegance of the time-shifting narrative and the show's astonishing visual beauty – that Pachinko is unsurpassed among recent series.

Based on Min Jin Lee's bestselling 2017 novel, the story centres on Sunya, played as a girl by Yu-na Jeon, in a delightful performance. For much of the story, Min-ha Kim plays her as a young woman who moves to Japan with her husband, a Korean minister. But the true heart of the series is Yuh-jung Youn, who won last year's best supporting actress Oscar as the blunt but warm grandmother in Minari. She plays the older Sunya, who lives in Osaka with her son, Mozasu (Soji Arai), the owner of pachinko gaming parlours (arcades popular in Japan where people play a game resembling pinball). All three actresses mesh perfectly, depicting a life that includes a misbegotten romance in Korea, and years of hard work in Japan selling kimchi from a street cart to support her family. The oldest Sunya's calm but expressive face contains them all. Wise, observant, deeply feeling and still troubled, she carries the weight of her personal past and of history.   

While Sunya's trajectory is essentially the same as in the novel, the show's creator, Soo Hugh (The Terror), and its directors, Kogonada and Justin Chon, have radically transformed the book. The novel's straightforward chronology owes a debt to 19th-Century narratives. But the series opens with Sunja's pregnant mother asking for a curse to be lifted so she will not miscarry her child, then immediately leaps ahead to New York in 1989, where Sunja's grandson, Solomon (Jin Ha) is on the rise at an investment banking firm. From there the series keeps moving back and forth, picking up the forward movement of each timeline. This is not complication for complication's sake, but a brilliant stroke. Many episodes from the past flow gracefully from the older Sunja as if they are her flashbacks, adding a poignant layer of memory that enhances the show's emotional power, and gives the screen Pachinko a sharper, 21st-Century feel.

In the 1989 timeline, Mozasu has made money with his pachinko parlours. But his profession is considered disreputable in polite society, adding a thread to the themes of class and discrimination that run through the decades. In Sunya's youth, Japanese police beat and threaten innocent Koreans in their own country. Mozasu, although born in Japan, is still considered an outsider there. The mix of languages the characters speak – Korean and Japanese with English in the brief New York scenes – call attention to the divide, with subtitles for different languages in different colours.

The entire cast is stunning and natural. Lee Min-ho, a major pop star in South Korea, is the charismatic Hansu, a Korean who works for a Japanese company and returns home as a broker at the fish market near Sunya's village. Dashing in a white suit and fedora, he is drawn to the modest, trusting, teenaged Sunya, who is dazzled by him despite rumours of his ties to organised crime. His life and hers intersect through the years.

Jin Ha, a US actor (Devs and Love Life), brings complicated layers to Solomon, who goes to Tokyo to try to convince an old Korean woman there to sell her house to make way for his company's building project. His character is greatly enhanced and at times altered from the novel's, which allows the screen version to foreground the family's generational differences and give Solomon more difficult ethical choices. A scene in which he brings his grandmother, Sunya, to visit the older Korean woman is among the most affecting.

Kogonada and Chon (Blue Bayou) direct four episodes each. Throughout, the cameras capture vistas that create an epic feel, looking out across the vast, glittering sea separating Korea and Japan, or down on to Tokyo high rises. Those views move in and out easily, leading to closeups that bring us intimately into the characters' lives. Pachinko is the latest in Kogonada's string of jaw-droppingly good works, including the films Columbus (2017) and the current After Yang, each made with intelligence and amazing visual style.

Among the many smart choices in Pachinko, one of the best is its buoyant, joyful opening credit sequence. Each of the major actors dances down the aisle of the pachinko parlour to the bouncy 1967 song Let's Live for Today. They are in costume but not in character as Hansu/Lee swirls around and holds little Sunya/Yu-na in his arms, Solomon/Ha tosses his suit jacket in the air, and a smiling Mozasu/Soji raises his arms in disco moves. Seeing the actors highlights the fictional quality of the story, but the sheer happiness of the endlessly rewatchable scene signals the resilience of the family they play. 

In the first episode, when Sunya is very young, her father tells her of the promise he made when she was just a week old, that "I would do anything to keep the ugliness of the world from touching you". Pachinko captures both the ugliness of a world bound to hurt her, and the profound beauty of her father's love, that endures through the generations and outweighs everything else.

★★★★★

Pachinko premieres on AppleTV+ on 25 March.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220323-pachinko-review-a-dazzling-heartfelt-korean-epic

• Like 6

https://www.pannchoa.com/2022/03/theqoo-good-thing-about-having-lee.html

[theqoo] THE GOOD THING ABOUT HAVING LEE MINHO IN PACHINKO

bypannchoa March 24, 2022
He's a Hallyu star so by nature, all the international Lee Minho will be watching Pachinko
+
His fans are raising funds to promote Pachinko in their own countries

Argentina
AVvXsEiS70rkrDaN156YH7xG9L-NdU2J7UitnvDh

Chile
AVvXsEhNzcj123Q9C-jojJEW4SMwHNCD5nxMpHc9

And there are more than these

(T/N: Themes in Pachinko include racism, stereotypes, and power, particularly in the context of the experiences of Koreans in Japan during World War II.)

original post: here

1. Cool

2. That's how you use an actor's influence. There's no distortion, no fabrication... he has a good influence and his actions and thinking is cool too

3. He's cool, I hope the drama hits big!!!

4. I like Lee Minho

5. Lee Minho has always been super famous but I didn't know that he was this famous

6. He's likable..

7. He even auditioned for the role by himself. So cool. This is what I call a positive influence

8. Seeing this makes me like Lee Minho more

9. I didn't know much about Lee Minho either but he's the top Hallyu star. He's super popular in Japan too but seeing how he pushes himself to do what a Korean man should do despite of his popularity in Japan is cool. He's doing the right thing even though a lot of people wouldn't have the balls to do it.. 

10. He's the actor who has the most fans overseas so seeing him picking up this work is seriously impressive

11. It's obvious that he's gonna get bullied in Japan but seeing how he auditioned for this role by himself is seriously cool

12. I like his positive influence so much, Lee Minho actor-nim is cool!!

13. He's impressive. Pachinko, hit big

14. I like that Lee Minho is good at acting

15. The fact that he read the original novel and decided to play this role is impressive. He's cool but his role is closer to that of a villain in the story.... Lee Minho is impressive

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

15 hours ago, syntyche said:

Chingus, I've already watched episode 1, thanks to the advance screening of Gold House!:heart:

The reviews are right on raving about the storytelling, cinematography and acting of the cast. And with LMH, the camera does love him! Boy, those eyes, we again see how his eyes add so much depth in his acting. Can't wait to see the whole series!

What is Gold House?

13 hours ago, Edgar Pordwed said:

Hey how are you'll?

Have you'll subscribed to Apple TV+ ? Where else are you'll watching Pachinko? 

Are you'll planning a group watch?

Check with @CarolynH  She is trying to do a group watch.

• Like 3

Pachinko — Opening Title Sequence | Apple TV+

Finally, the long wait is over!

Hansu! :heart:

:heart3::heart3:

Yoon Yeojung, Apple TV+ original "Pachinko" will be released today...You can watch the first episode for free on YouTube.

The original series "Pachinko" of the online video service Apple TV+ will be released today. 

Pachinko, which consists of a total of eight episodes, is a work that has been expected even before its release, starring actor Yoon Yeo-jung.  Apple TV+ announced on the 25th that it will release the first to third episodes of "Pachinko." The first episode can be watched free of charge through Apple's YouTube channel from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the 1st of next month. 

Episodes 4-8 will be released sequentially every Friday until the 29th of next month on Apple TV+. 

Pachinko, known to have invested 100 billion won in production, is based on a novel of the same name by Korean-American Lee Min-jin and depicts the story of four generations of a Korean-Japanese family in Japan. 

Yoon Yeo-jung, who plays the protagonist "Seonja," Lee Min-ho, Kim Min-ha, and Jin-ha appear to show unforgettable saga of war, peace, love and separation, victory and judgment between Korea, Japan, and the United States.

https://www.idaegu.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=376695

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 5

20 hours ago, Edgar Pordwed said:

Hey how are you'll?

Have you'll subscribed to Apple TV+ ? Where else are you'll watching Pachinko? 

Are you'll planning a group watch?

Hey Edgar!  I've had Apple TV+ for a while.  My subscription ends in May, but I'm going to try to use Target Circle to extend it another 4 months.  On the first page, there are some ideas on how to watch Pachinko.  I want to have a group watch, but it's not as easy as teleparty.  CallieP and I tried it a couple weeks ago and it worked.  One issue we weren't able to figure out is how can others in another country join us.  Callie and I are in the US, so it's not too difficult.  I don't know if one party will be charged for the call.  But, we can sure try--and I"m open to suggestions.  We have our last BOF rewatch Sun and we can try it after (so approx 8:20am PDT)  Let me know if anyone wants to attempt a group rewatch because I will need to give you my phone number.

I'm going to watch Pachinko tomorrow evening, maybe lunch if my not so smart TV cooperates --ugh:triumph:

Hey @Geolyvseven!  Long time no see chingu!  Yes, we are still here lol

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Nikaa said:

I’m watching episode 1

last 6 minutes of episode 1

lmh lmh lmh 

he is speaking Japanese 

Opppaaa

right? for Minoz, that is the highlight of that episode. Good way to end with his scene, too.

56 minutes ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I created an Apple TV+ account just after the Pachinko officially released (9:00 am).  But I will watch it at night.

So, Apple TV+ definitely know who is the most popular one and suitable for promotion.  

I created a Netflix account then to watch The King. Now I created an Apple account to watch Pachinko. Yep, the things I do for LMH :P

Apple better know which star to use as gif and thumbnail on that opening sequence yt video. :P

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

Lee Min Ho's international fans are promoting 'Pachinko' in their respective countries in support of the actor

Many are looking forward to the upcoming Apple TV+ original drama 'Pachinko,' especially fans of actor Lee Min Ho. 

These international fans have taken into their own hands to show support for the actor and bought advertisements to promote the drama for the actor. In countries such as Argentina and Chile, Lee Min Ho fans are buying billboard ads to screen the trailer for the drama.

Korean netizens and fans have been impressed by Lee Min Ho's popularity overseas as well as the efforts his international fans are putting in to support the actor and his new drama.

Netizens commented, "They're really awesome," "I really think Lee Min Ho is the most popular Korean actor overseas," "He's so popular overseas," "He's pretty popular in Japan, and I'm surprised and proud he chose this project," "This is so amazing," "the international fans are amazing," "Lee Min Ho is pretty awesome, he's so popular abroad," "and "I didn't know Lee Min Ho was this popular abroad." 

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/03/lee-min-hos-international-fans-are-promoting-pachinko-in-their-respective-countries-in-support-of-the-actor

• Like 4
  • Awesome 3

8 Gorgeous K-Drama Libraries That We’d Love To Study In

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Whenever a K-drama goes viral, its filming locations become spots for sightseeing by fans, both domestic and international. Aside from national landmarks and food joints, there is another type of site that may lure in K-drama admirers: libraries. That’s right! Be it a public library, a bookstore, or one that was specifically constructed to be part of the main character’s home study, these book-hosting spaces are on a whole new level of K-drama aesthetics.

Here are eight gorgeous K-drama libraries that we’d love to study in! (Wouldn’t you?)

Warning: minor spoilers ahead.

1-2. “The King: Eternal Monarch” – Hallim library and Lee Gon’s study

In “The King: Eternal Monarch,” Lee Gon (Lee Min Ho) and Jung Tae Eul (Kim Go Eun) secretly meet at Hallim library. This library is one of Suwon’s public libraries located in the city’s Gokseon neighborhood in the Gwonseon district. Reflecting its motto, the library is “a space for nature, culture, and people to communicate.”

Hallim-Library.jpg

But that’s not all! Albeit fictional, another book-filled place in this drama is none other than Lee Gon’s marvelous private study. The architecture combines authenticity and wisdom, making every bookworm instantly fall in love with its charms.

The-King-Eternal-Monarch.jpg

(skipped unrelated.....) 

credit : soompi news

• Like 5

Lee Min-ho and Kim Min-ha on filming intimate scenes for epic period drama ‘Pachinko’

By MUMTAJ BEGUM
Friday, 25 Mar 2022

1526150.jpg

Pachinko is obviously not your typical K-drama.

For one, it is a Hollywood production even if it features a majority of Asian cast including South Korean Oscar winner Youn Yuh-jung (Minari) and K-idol Lee Min-ho (The King: Eternal Monarch).

For another, it’s not a fantasy – it plucks a chapter from Korean history when the country was under the Japanese rule (1910–1945).

It looks at sacrifices made by Koreans who moved to Japan, where they endured many challenges in the course of trying to find a better life for themselves and the next generation.

In other words, while the story is gripping and talks about hope, with characters that just draw you in, it has very few feel-good moments. One review describes Pachinko as “achingly sad ..., tugging effectively at both head and heart”.

However, there is “a passionate but forbidden love story” that starts off this cross-generational tale of war, sacrifice, oppression and resilience.

And it is between the characters played by actor Lee and newcomer Kim Min-ha.

During an online interview session with the two South Korean stars, they spoke on filming their characters' intimate moments.

Lee, who has had his share of romantic scenes in K-dramas like Eternal Monarch and The Legend Of The Blue Sea, said that the scene in Pachinko is a little different than what he’s used to.

“Normally, when you have this type of scene, everything is perfectly preset so that it looks very beautiful and pretty on screen – you have the perfect angle, you have the perfect background, to make everything look very romantic.

“However, in this drama, we are kind of thrown in the middle of nature – we are up in the mountains or by the ocean.

“So, here (the scenes are) more spontaneous and impulsive compared to some of the other romantic scenes that audiences have seen in other content.”

Kim – who is making her acting debut with Pachinko – agreed with Lee.

She said: “This scene isn’t just about kissing. It's about love. And it’s about the relationship between the two characters. We were trying to convey how deeply in love these two people were with that scene.”

Kim also shared that Lee helped her a lot by putting her mind at ease and making her feel less nervous before the shoot.

Pachinko is available on Apple TV+ from March 25.

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/entertainment/2022/03/25/lee-min-ho-and-kim-min-ha-on-filming-intimate-scenes-for-epic-period-drama-pachinko

• Like 6