Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

Pachinko's Soo Hugh and Lee Min-ho explain the joy behind that opening credits sequence

Throughout this dance segment, family members who are scattered across space and time all come together in one brightly coloured, almost magical Pachinko parlour to forget the "dreams that can't come true". Teenage Sunja (Kim Min-ha) swirls her dress around. An older Sunja (Minari's Youn Yuh-jung) sways her arms side-to-side. Lee Min-ho slides forward towards the camera. And Soji Arai does a cute little jig with his arms.

"For me," said actor Lee Min-ho, "I didn’t really have a scene where I was laughing or smiling for the entire shoot. There weren’t many scenes where I was joyful. So the opening credits was the only time when I felt happy and liberated."

spacer.png

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a39499915/pachinko-opening-credits-song-dancing/

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, syntyche said:

Pachinko's Soo Hugh and Lee Min-ho explain the joy behind that opening credits sequence

Throughout this dance segment, family members who are scattered across space and time all come together in one brightly coloured, almost magical Pachinko parlour to forget the "dreams that can't come true". Teenage Sunja (Kim Min-ha) swirls her dress around. An older Sunja (Minari's Youn Yuh-jung) sways her arms side-to-side. Lee Min-ho slides forward towards the camera. And Soji Arai does a cute little jig with his arms.

"For me," said actor Lee Min-ho, "I didn’t really have a scene where I was laughing or smiling for the entire shoot. There weren’t many scenes where I was joyful. So the opening credits was the only time when I felt happy and liberated."

:waves:@syntyche ..

when Min Ho dances very powerfully, I could get a peek of his very flexible given his charming looks and personality so, my eyes open wide. no wonder so many viewers fall in love with him. :D

• Like 6
  • Awesome 3

_ZKsQBh1?format=jpg&name=small

Netizens explode with the hot scene of Lee Min Ho in the new drama

March 25, 2022

This is also the first hot scene in Lee Min Ho’s acting career.

After a long time of anticipation, Lee Min Ho‘s Pachinko finally released the first 3 episodes in a row. While episode 1 opens up the story of the main character, from her birth to the loss of her father, intertwined with the scenes in the present, episode 2 gives a look at the childhood of Sun Ja (Kim Min Ha), when she got to know Han Su (Lee Min Ho).

Han Su is a Korean businessman who recently returned from Japan. Rich and handsome, but in the eyes of the people, Han Su is just a cold and bloody merchant who does the dirty work for a powerful man and lives a debauchery and wasteful life. Sun Ja just knows about Han Su through such gossip while Han Su falls in love with the girl from the first time he accidentally sees her. Han Su once helped Sun Ja when she was arrested by two Japanese men who tried to rape her, from when the two became close. Sun Ja realizes that Han Su is not as bad as rumored, she also knows from him the promised neverlands, where the electric lights are always available and the people have everything in their hands.

At the end of episode 2, when she had not known Han Su for a long time, Sun Ja had it away with this man she adored. The hot scene in the middle of the forest is not revealing or offensive, it just stops at a kiss and focuses on the female lead’s expression. However, this hot scene still caused a fever on social networks, the reason being because this was the first time Lee Min Ho acted in a hot scene in a drama.

Korean dramas are different now.
The female lead is good at acting, and this Lee Min Ho’s first hot scene in his life but he didn’t have to act much in it.
My boy has grown up. Although he is 18 years older than me.
While all of his on-screen ex-lovers got married, he had his first hot scene in his career.
But the female lead’s acting is so good, Lee Min Ho doesn’t even need to act in this scene
Pachinko airs every Friday on Apple+.

https://kbizoom.com/netizens-explode-with-the-hot-scene-of-lee-min-ho-in-the-new-drama/

• Like 8

https://www.filmibeat.com/television/web-series/lee-min-ho-s-pachinko-impresses-critics-across-the-world-331977.html

Pachinko Review: Lee Min Ho's Web Series On Apple TV+ Impresses Critics Across The World
By Sanyukta Thakare | Updated: Saturday, March 26, 2022, 14:21 [IST]

Lee Min Ho, Minha Kim, Youn Yuh Jung-starrer K-drama Pachinko was recently released on Apple TV+ for the global audience. With the first three episodes, the show has already impressed fans as well as critics across the world.

xpachinko-1648279883.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pK

Directed by Kogonada and Justin Chon, Pachinko takes place across Japan occupied South Korea from 1910 to Japan in 1989. Following one Korean family through the generations, the show begins with Sunja, the prized daughter of a poor yet proud family. Her unplanned pregnancy threatens to bring shame to the family. However, after being deserted by her lover, Sunja is saved by a young tubercular minister who marries her and brings her to Japan.

The show has been praised for its cinematography as well as the performances by the leading stars Lee Min Ho, Minha Kim, Youn Yuh Jung and others. The eight-part series is based on the 2017 bestseller written by Min Jin Lee. NYTimes' Mike Hale said "Pachinko the TV series has a thoroughly contemporary sensibility, and it works overtime to ingratiate itself with all possible viewers." He also talked about Hollywoodization of the project, however, he said, "But beneath its shine and its likability, Pachinko is pretty ordinary - a lot of hard work has gone into making something easily digestible."

Meanwhile, Sneha Biswas of TOI praised the show and said the makers used Pachinko (the arcade game) as a delightful "metaphor to explore the hopes and dreams of a woman, Sunja and her Korean immigrant family." She added, "Each character brings their best to the story with their honest shades of grey. Lee Min Ho deserves a special mention for shedding his boy-next-door appeal and stepping into the shoes of an anti-hero character." Daniel D'Addario of Variety said, both directors Kogonada and Justin Chon have developed a "crystalline distinction between timelines and worlds," and added "Pachinko does not, finally, cohere. One yearns for the show that let its key moments sing without the at-times forced collisions between eras, ones that can keep viewers feeling both on the hook and in the dark."

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I am too!  I'm glad Soo Hugh included Hansu's history.  I also wondered about his background while reading the book.  There really wasn't much detail.  And with the scene where Sunja asks about Hansu's father; you can tell there's something behind his vague response.  

Since they're creating Hansu's backstory, I'm wondering now if Jung Woong-in (who I thought could be older Hansu) will play Hansu's father.  He really isn't old enough to play Hansu against Youn Yuh-jung's Sunja.

Spoiler

"It's a pity I can't explain the role yet. I will do my best to make good works with Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jeong.”

0000886833_001_20210127065810733.jpg?typ

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000886833

9 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I didn't read the book, but after watched 3 episodes last night, I didn't think Hansu is a villain. Sunja was really falling in love with him, and the peddler in fish market praised his prices were fair and reasonable. He got mad only to maintain the order and save Sunja. Except he could not give Sunja a marriage, he's not bad.  :P

I'll watch 3 episodes again tonight, can't waiting for ep. 7.

I think it is possible to improve upon the book, and if they remove some of Hansu's badness (like they've said), that's fine by me.  :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 1ouise said:

Since they're creating Hansu's backstory, I'm wondering now if Jung Woong-in (who I thought could be older Hansu) will play Hansu's father.  He really isn't old enough to play Hansu against Youn Yuh-jung's Sunja.

Reveal hidden contents

"It's a pity I can't explain the role yet. I will do my best to make good works with Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jeong.”

0000886833_001_20210127065810733.jpg?typ

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000886833

I think it is possible to improve upon the book, and if they remove some of Hansu's badness (like they've said), that's fine by me.  :)

@1ouise  LMH is worlds away from the romantic characters we're used to seeing him in. Still I can say that it was refreshing to be cast playing such character. It once again shows just how dedicated Lee Min Ho is to his profession. He got the part due to his talent.   :heart2beat:

3U3ueNalp8S_iV0PF4wRk9AlkQsVmNXBbXEf_N2J

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Apple TV+ Made Pachinko, One of the Biggest Multilingual Shows Ever

In 2017, when film and TV agent Theresa Kang-Lowe read Min Jin Lee’s epic novel Pachinko, which tells the story of a poor Korean family through generations and across borders, she feared it didn’t stand a chance of receiving Hollywood’s attention. “I thought it was an impossibility,” she says. “This was pre–Crazy Rich Asians, pre-Parasite, pre–Squid Game.

We had never seen something like this in series form.”

Five years later, on March 25, the first season of Pachinko—for which Kang-Lowe serves as an executive producer—will arrive on Apple TV+ in a vastly different landscape. Television shows from around the world, including South Korea’s Squid Game, the Paris-set Lupin, and the U.S.-Mexico drama Narcos: Mexico, have found rabid audiences on Netflix.

These shows have proved that contrary to decades of conventional Hollywood wisdom, viewers are willing to read subtitles and eager to consume global stories centering people of color.

While Pachinko could ride this larger wave of global representation to success, the show is still a precarious risk for Apple TV+ and its filmmakers: it’s a trilingual, big-budget period piece that hopes to attract audiences without

Five years later, on March 25, the first season of Pachinko—for which Kang-Lowe serves as an executive producer—will arrive on Apple TV+ in a vastly different landscape. Television shows from around the world, including South Korea’s Squid Game, the Paris-set Lupin, and the U.S.-Mexico drama Narcos: Mexico, have found rabid audiences on Netflix. These shows have proved that contrary to decades of conventional Hollywood wisdom, viewers are willing to read subtitles and eager to consume global stories centering people of color.

While Pachinko could ride this larger wave of global representation to success, the show is still a precarious risk for Apple TV+ and its filmmakers: it’s a trilingual, big-budget period piece that hopes to attract audiences without

superheroes, sex, or dramatic action sequences. Pachinko’s ability to find viewers could have a ripple effect on whether similar concepts are greenlit for years to come. “Right now, stories about diverse people are largely relegated to a certain budget level,” says Kang-Lowe. “Pachinko is a first, and we don’t want it to be an only.”

Bringing Korean History to Hollywood

Pachinko is the second novel by Lee, who is Korean American and, several

decades ago, became fascinated by the struggles of Korean immigrants in Japan in the 20th century. She wove together the story of one family across four generations, through the Japanese colonization of Korea, the impact of the atomic bombs on Japan, and the Westernization of Japanese life. The main character is Sunja, who is born in the early 1900s and stoically absorbs the suffering of everyone around her as she perseveres through one crisis after another.

The novel, a 2017 National Book Award finalist, struck a chord, especially with many Asians and Asian Americans who saw echoes of their own familial histories in Lee’s work. One of those readers was writer and showrunner Soo Hugh (Under the Dome, The Terror), who was given the book by Kang-Lowe in the hopes that she might want to spearhead the adaptation. When Hugh read Pachinko, she was bowled over. “It was such a shock: they were my mother and grandmother,” she says. “It was so visceral, that feeling of: finally someone had the bravery to put these people’s stories to work.”

But Hugh was “terrified” of leading such an important project and had to be convinced by Kang-Lowe that she was the right person for the job. “I told her, ‘If you don’t take this on, it’s going to take another seven to 10 years for another Asian American writer to rise through the ranks to get where you are as a really high-level showrunner,’” Kang-Lowe recalls. “And we need to tell the story now.”

There were many factors working against Kang-Lowe and Hugh as they began shopping the concept around to streaming services. Not only did the show need to have an all-Asian cast, but it also needed to be told in three languages: Korean, Japanese, and English, as its characters migrated across the world. Asian histories told by Hollywood, excluding war stories like Letters From Iwo Jima or The Last Samurai, were few and far between. And the Pachinko team was requesting an enormous budget, on par with that of The Crown or Succession, in order to convey the book’s epic scope. Kang-Lowe says that while many streamers were initially interested in the concept—especially enticed by the allure of courting Asian audiences—they balked at the price tag. They told her: “We wouldn’t do that for this show.”

Kang-Lowe says Apple and Netflix eventually offered what the creators were looking for—and the team decided to go with Apple, thanks in large part to the support of executive Michelle Lee, who is now the streamer’s director of domestic programming. Apple was trying to position itself as a home for international series and prestige fare with shows like Dr. Brain, and Pachinko hit both targets. Having an executive like Lee was “everything,” Hugh says. “She also comes from the immigrant experience and knows these characters inside out.”

Adapting a Masterwork

After getting the project greenlit, adapting the 500-page novel was another challenge completely. For one, the author was initially involved, but left the project for unspecified reasons. (“Although I did not write or create the series, I wish them well,” Lee wrote in an email.)

And while the book unfolds chronologically at a methodical pace similar to that of the film Boyhood, Hugh felt the adaptation needed to be re-arranged and placed into dual timelines, one starting in the 1910s and the other starting in the ’80s. “The greatest thing about film and TV is playing with time,” she says. “All of a sudden, when we moved things around, the show became a thesis statement of, How do you have a conversation with the past? How do you, from the past’s point of view, leave something indelible for the future?”

The restructuring led to the character elevation of Sunja’s grandson Solomon, an ambitious young banker determined to prove himself at his American firm, even if it means betraying his roots. Hugh hopes that Solomon resonates with a younger generation. “I connect very strongly to Solomon and the feelings of both immense gratitude and burden from what your parents and grandparents sacrificed for you,” she says.

A Global Cast

The show’s cast features a mix of newcomers and superstars. Minha Kim, making her television debut as teenage Sunja, stars opposite Lee Min-ho, who is one of South Korea’s foremost idols. Hugh says that she didn’t receive any pressure from Apple to cast marquee Korean stars, and that even Lee, who hadn’t had to audition for a role for 13 years because of his megafame in his country, had to try out for the role of Hansu. “This challenging next step in my career in an unfamiliar working environment set my heart aflutter a bit,” he wrote in an email. “I am so thankful that we are living in a time where this diversity and globalization is accepted.”

For the actor Soji Arai, who plays Sunja’s son Mozasu, Pachinko offered a rare opportunity to showcase his own Zainichi (the term for ethnic Koreans living in Japan) heritage. Arai’s grandparents immigrated to Japan at the same time Sunja did, and his parents were activists who fought against discrimination. Arai says it’s still very rare for Japanese stories to feature Zainichi characters or for Zainichi celebrities to proudly showcase their ethnicity, which makes this role all the more special. “I’m so happy, because now people all over the world will know who Zainichi people are, maybe for the first time in history,” he says.

Arai and the rest of the cast are waiting to learn if they will return to their roles. While Hugh wrote the show to last four seasons, the series has yet to be picked up by Apple beyond its first eight episodes. These days, it’s not uncommon for ambitious shows to be canceled prematurely: HBO’s fantasy epic Lovecraft Country, for example, was axed after just one season. Kang-Lowe recognizes that there’s more riding on Pachinko’s success than her résumé. “Any project with this scale and scope needs to perform better because of the financial investment,” she says. “I’m really hoping that people watch and streamers take notice and say, Oh, look, we could do a big epic with other stories about people of color.”

credit : TIME

https://time.com/6157906/pachinko-apple-tv/

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, willenette said:

@1ouise  LMH is worlds away from the romantic characters we're used to seeing him in. Still I can say that it was refreshing to be cast playing such character. It once again shows just how dedicated Lee Min Ho is to his profession. He got the part due to his talent.   :heart2beat:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Willenette, I am hoping you may be the best person to answer this.  What dialect did LMH speak as Hansu?  Is it different from the way he normally speaks which is Seoul, right?  How about Sunja, what dialect did she use?  I remember reading something about Jeju dialect.  Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1ouise said:

I forgot about Jung Woong in!  

I rather like when Hansu is mean.  So unlike LMH, so it's interesting to watch.

@nina_mitrokhinaMe too!  I love LMH with kids, that height difference is so cute

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

LEE MIN HO ads

Date : 22. 03. 25 - 22. 03. 31

Ads Product : Times Square Giant Art Canvas

cr: aboutfanO

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Exclusive: ‘Pachinko’ Stars Lee Min-ho and Kim Min-ha Get Personal About Their Roles

Spoiler

spacer.png

In a Hong Kong exclusive interview, the actors dish on the brand new Apple TV+ series—and what playing their roles meant for them

Pachinko, the TV adaptation of Min Jin Lee’s best-selling 2017 novel, premieres today (March 25) on Apple TV+. 

The star-studded series stars Lee Min-ho, one of the biggest names in South Korean entertainment, and newcomer Kim Min-ha. The story follows four generations of a Korean immigrant family in the 20th century, and their epic journey between Korea, Japan and America.

The two portray star-crossed lovers. Lee plays Hansu, an enigmatic and wealthy merchant who falls in love with the young and fierce Sunja, a woman who hopes for a better life for her family, portrayed by Kim.

In an exclusive interview with Tatler, the two stars dive into their emotional journey in playing their Pachinko characters what they want the audience to take away from the series.

What were your first thoughts about the script?

Kim Min-ha (KMH): I initially thought of the feelings that I needed to be able to tell this story. I even thought: “Should I do this?”—and if I could bring justice to the story.

Lee Min-ho (LMH): I thought it was a very strong story. While it was set [in a time period] years ago, I can still resonate with it. I also think that it’s a story that people nowadays can relate to.

What attracted you the most to the character you were cast in?

KMH: Sunja’s both fragile and resilient. She knows how to survive and how to adapt to a new environment. Those traits appealed to me the most. I had a lot of pressure when I first got this role because Sunja has a big responsibility that later affects her family.

LMH: Hansu didn’t have a choice as to what kind of life he wanted to lead, especially in those times. He could only think of survival. To me, that was the most appealing part of the character.

Compared to others, he chose a darker path to survive during such difficult times. In some ways, I can understand him and also resonate with his feelings.

How did you prep for these roles?

LMH: I tried to portray younger Hansu as someone who has a heart of gold—but because he has to survive, he had to make decisions that eventually put him on the bad side. I [also] wanted to make that clear distinction between the young kind Hansu and the older Hansu.

KMH: In order to properly portray teenage Sunja, I had to understand her as this young girl who is living in isolation. To show how she changes as a woman, I had to look at her history and her feelings and convey it to the viewers.

Your characters are rarely seen smiling—except for the opening sequence. What was your experience in filming that scene?

LMH: My character is someone who was really tough and had a rough history, so I couldn’t believe it myself [the character smiling]. I actually asked [screenwriter and showrunner] Soo Hugh a few times if Hansu could laugh and have some fun. I really enjoyed filming that sequence, because Pachinko itself is quite heavy—that was the only time I felt liberated.

KMH: The opening sequence was the only time where I didn’t have to really think about anything. They just played the music for us. I just stood there at first because there were no directions. Like Min-ho, it was the only time that I really felt free and I had so much fun filming it.

What was the most emotional scene for you?

KMH: Sunja’s scenes are all very emotional and very intense. But if I had to pick, it’d be the scene where I say goodbye to the members of the boarding house [run by Sunja’s family, which she departs from]. It was so emotional that I couldn’t help but cry.

LMH: I’d definitely choose the scene when Hansu first met Sunja. I think it isn’t just love at first sight, but much more than that. They were attracted to each other as human beings, and it left a really big impact on both of them. 

When we talk about events that had such a big impact on our lives, it could be when we first fell in love or the first time we see our baby. For Hansu, I think seeing Sunja is like one of those moments.

Are there any similarities between yourselves and the characters you play?

LMH: Hansu and I are the same when it comes to our goals. When I have a goal I want to achieve, I would do anything to achieve it without any hesitation.

KMH: We’re both fragile, but also resilient. We have this hidden strength inside of us. But at times, we are also very vulnerable.

What do you want viewers to get out of Pachinko?

KMH: I hope viewers will see this as a story of love, and remember the sacrifice that their families had to do in order to survive. I’d also love for them to see the tragedies, reflect on history—and know that they are not alone. We are all going through various hardships together.

LMH: We now live in a very fast-paced society, and we sometimes lose track of what we have and what is really important to us. I hope that people can take a look at our older generation through Pachinko and resonate with the universal values that are present in the series. Take some time to look back on themselves and the people around them and their families. It’d also be nice if they can think about what’s the best path forward.

Spoiler

spacer.png

https://www.tatlerasia.com/culture/entertainment/pachinko-lee-min-ho-kim-min-ha-interview

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Blob 1

good advertising tells a story. ads can be annoying, but what would the world be without them? :D

here's why these dialogues haven't gotten more difficult to understand and relate to the ads discussions:

Baek's white boss Tom Andrews, asks. "it's the past. it's done." 

"when you look at the world around us, these are still things we're grappling with," Soo Hugh said. 

source

FO1-PSxwa-IAMm5y-U.jpg

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a39541064/pachinko-soo-hugh-interview/

How Pachinko Showrunner Soo Hugh Adapted The Incredible Saga For The Screen

Hugh on being brought to tears by Min Jin Lee’s novel, finding the right cast, honoring the stories of our past, and creating her own “Twilight love triangle."

------

And then you have Minho, who is this superstar and crowds follow him wherever he goes, and his humility in first wanting to audition for this role and then working really hard. Hansu could have been the easiest role. He could have been all veneer—there could have been no depth—and it would have worked, but it wouldn’t have been iconic. And what we said from the very beginning is [that] Hansu needs to be iconic, and in order for that to happen, it can’t just be about looks. We have to understand Hansu inside-out.

-----

• Like 4
  • Awesome 3

spacer.png

Actors Lee Min-ho and Gong Hyo-jin have officially confirmed their appearance in the drama "Ask the Stars."

It is a five-year production preparation period for "Ask the Stars," a drama set on the first attempted space station in Korea, and was written by Seo Sook-hyang, a master of romantic comedies such as " Pasta" and " Incarnation of Jealousy," and directed by PD Park Shin-woo, who proved her skills through "It's Okay Not to be Okay" and " How to Love Urban Men and Women."

"Ask the Stars" is a full-fledged "space romantic comedy" genre that goes between the space station and the Earth, and Lee Min-ho will play " Gong Ryong," a gynecologist with a sense of mission to leave for the space station as a space tourist, while Gong Hyo-jin will play the role of Korean-American astronaut " Eve Kim." What fateful meeting the two will draw in the new background of "The Universe," is highly anticipated not only among domestic fans but also among K-drama fans around the world.

"Ask the Stars," which launched a full-fledged production with news of the confirmed appearance of the two actors, will begin filming in April with the aim of releasing it on domestic channels and global OTT at the same time in 2023. 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/079/0003624929

Drama casting announced earlier than expected! Indeed, he's the tourist and GHJ the astronaut. Happy day! Wiggle away!

:1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1)::1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

• Like 6
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2