[Drama 2022] Our Blues, 우리들의 블루스

larus

That's why they say that one never truly understands the hardship their parents go through until they become parents themselves.. I'm still on Team Hyeon over Young Joo btw LoL. 

Young Joo just come across arrogant, stubborn. She was doted on by her dad so the loneliness remark Idg at all. She always seemed independent and better adjusted than Hyeon. They really should consider givin' up the child for adoption. 

Young Joo is too ambitious and it's impossible to study while caring for child. She's bein' irrational. I hope they resolve this quickly as Young Joo is already 6 months along. 

That ol'hag haenyeo and her insensitive remarks ugh. She look so burly like a man LoL. Yup her sex life must be zero LoL. Glad Dong Seok's mom shut her up. 

That broke my heart on Hyeon's dad.. the man gave up his thug life to be a decent parent (well tried LoL) to his son. 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Wow, I am so surprised that this storyline between the two dads has been the most spellbinding one so far! (At least for me). I never saw that coming, and whereas at first I was more ho-hum about Hyeon and Young Ju's story, it has become so gripping! And the acting has been so fantastic by this foursome. I'm kind of in awe right now. :lol:

So sad to see how the unexpected pregnancy has brought out so many painful insecurities in the dads themselves, and how deeply wounded they were by each other and by wives that abandoned them. The whole theme of who's embarrassing whom, and how you are so ashamed if someone insults you in front of your family, has been heartwrenching :tears:. I'm glad that by the end of Episode 8 they were all able to say some of the things they needed to say to each other. That conversation between Young Ju and her dad about getting rid of her baggage! :o

I really hope Hyeon stays in school and doesn't drop out. With Young Ju's dad promising to find them a place to live, hopefully that will free up Hyeon to keep attending. At first, it was sad to see both dads turning their backs on the kids, and on the baby. Even though I understood their shock and disappointment, of course. But with unexpected pregnancies, it can't be all or nothing - either get an abortion OR lose all freedom/ your life is ruined. I'm glad the dads' insistence on getting an abortion started to turn into more support and practical help (and conversations that needed to be had!). Hyeon and Young Ju's lives are about to get much more difficult. They need their dads.

And these dads love their kids so much. Can't wait to see them as grandparents, treating the new baby just as preciously as they've treated Hyeon and Young Ju.

Does anyone else think the show is dropping some hints about a possible miscarriage, though? I feel like we see YJ doubling over in pain quite a bit, which is not good.

I kind of doubt she'll have a miscarriage but premature delivery, perhaps, or she'll have life-threatening bleeding since they made the point that she has placenta previa. That would bring everyone together, for sure. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

After Eunhi's story I am hooked to the teen lovestory with the curveball of pregnancy thrown in. A well rounded look at the kids and parents perspective on the issue.Sometimes the best intentions and the fight for what you care for doesn't exactly give the desired results.Studying and bringing up a kid without continous support,hardwork,single minded dedication won't work.With Hyeon-Ju's dad being sick the challenge to bring up a baby would be harder.Sacrifices have to be made again.The dads are rightfully wary and the kids being true to their youthful nature more optimistic.However the writer may choose to end this story arc kudos to the team for tackling this issue with a good balance of realism and drama.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The last 2 episodes made me cry a lot huhuhu. Maybe because being a parent myself, I can sympathize what the 2 dads are going through. I swear NHK always makes me cry in her dramas. No wonder they got the highest rating last night. Very deserving:blush:

• Like 7

5 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Wow, I am so surprised that this storyline between the two dads has been the most spellbinding one so far! (At least for me). I never saw that coming, and whereas at first I was more ho-hum about Hyeon and Young Ju's story, it has become so gripping! And the acting has been so fantastic by this foursome. I'm kind of in awe right now. :lol:

So sad to see how the unexpected pregnancy has brought out so many painful insecurities in the dads themselves, and how deeply wounded they were by each other and by wives that abandoned them. The whole theme of who's embarrassing whom, and how you are so ashamed if someone insults you in front of your family, has been heartwrenching :tears:. I'm glad that by the end of Episode 8 they were all able to say some of the things they needed to say to each other. That conversation between Young Ju and her dad about getting rid of her baggage! :o

I really hope Hyeon stays in school and doesn't drop out. With Young Ju's dad promising to find them a place to live, hopefully that will free up Hyeon to keep attending. At first, it was sad to see both dads turning their backs on the kids, and on the baby. Even though I understood their shock and disappointment, of course. But with unexpected pregnancies, it can't be all or nothing - either get an abortion OR lose all freedom/ your life is ruined. I'm glad the dads' insistence on getting an abortion started to turn into more support and practical help (and conversations that needed to be had!). Hyeon and Young Ju's lives are about to get much more difficult. They need their dads.

And these dads love their kids so much. Can't wait to see them as grandparents, treating the new baby just as preciously as they've treated Hyeon and Young Ju.

Does anyone else think the show is dropping some hints about a possible miscarriage, though? I feel like we see YJ doubling over in pain quite a bit, which is not good.

same here, i am equally spellbound by this story about the dads and their children. it is a very realistic problem about teenage pregnancy these days. The deeply-bonded friendship between the dads and the cause of their hatred toward each other. i dont think it's a cultural thing when ingown insulted hosik when hosik desperately needed his help after his left him. it's a pretty nasty thing to say to hosik that he was using his daughter to get money whether his daughter understood it. 

hyeon and youngju are brilliant kids and they excel academically. of course, the single dads feel that their future would be ruined by their pregnancy. they excel in their studies but naive about their situation. am so surprised that they deal with their pregnancy when she is in her 6th month!!!  hyeon even plans to resume his study at age 25 when youngju finishes hers. youngju is an ambitious lady and who knows what the future holds! to me, youngju is quite selfish. she doesnt even allow her dad to grieve, to deal with the shock. she has to keep pushing it and gets what she wants because she is stuck. glad that she did apologize to her dad at the school! hyeon, at least, let his dad get frustrated, but the physical reprimand is certainly something i dont appreciate. feel so sorry for what these dads have to go through!

i also wonder if there'll be a miscarriage as she keeps having pain! 

feel sorry for hosik as he is planning his life when he becomes an empty nester. i truly hope that he can have a fresh start with eunhui again. hopefully this baby will bring joy, healing and fun to the older adults, and the support from the parents, older adults will strengthen the love for the teenage couple. i would like to see how their lives turn out few years down the road, maybe close to the end of the drama!

on a side note, really like CYJ who plays hosik. he was in the hospital playlist as a emergency dr and got more attention in s3 when a few eps were focusing on emergency dr's as most credits are given to surgeon or primary physicians for healing patients. he was so attentive in treating a difficult case in one of the eps. hope he will have more exposure to tv and movies! 

• Like 9

May 2, 2022.

Very powerful script writing from Noh Hee Kyung. I liked how the story between the young couple and their father turn from disappointment, fury, hatred, denial, to understanding, silent acceptance and quasi reconciliation.   

It is heart warming to see Ho Sik turning round from a compulsive gambler to a hard working father for Young Joo. It must have been difficult to raise a daughter as a single dad.

In-gwon’s diabetic problem is worrisome.  I hope he will get treatment so that he can enjoy his grandchild.

Hyeon’s decision to quit school is so sad.  He is portrayed as hard working and willing to work.  Unfortunately he is not able to perform well and complete his tasks.  Ideally, his father can help him to complete his education so that he can lead a better life in the future.

Young Joo is intelligent as well as hard working.  It is a relief to know  that her father is willing to help her  at the end of the episode.  I just hope she does not lose her baby.

Eun Hee is amazing.   She is caring as well as generous to her friends in Pureung Village.  It is a pity that she does not have an equally caring partner.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

This drama is on my radar due to Noh Hee Kyung's exceptional previous works. I was busy with other things so i put it on hold and only check some updates and spoilers. Ep 8 pushed me to break my promise to put it on hold for longer time. And to my surprise it's not as buzzy as the previous arc (cha seung won, shin min ah, kim woo bin, and their respective partners). At least that's what i see on twitter and some account that i follow.

That scene with Hyun-In Gwon and Yeong Joo-Ho Sik made me watch the drama right away. And again and again Noh Hee Kyung proves that she's still the best when it comes to the story of human, their complexity, and the different perspective to everything. I heard it reached its highest peak last night and it really deserved it. 

• Like 8

I can understand that IG and HS are very disappointed but its not the end of the world.

She is pregnant, the baby is six months old and the two of them need to be protected 

by their family.

The pregnancy itself is difficult enough for her, she doesnt need additional harassment.

I don want Hyeon to leave school so I hope his father will help him as much as he can.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, peonie said:

May 2, 2022.

Very powerful script writing from Noh Hee Kyung. I liked how the story between the young couple and their father turn from disappointment, fury, hatred, denial, to understanding, silent acceptance and quasi reconciliation.   

It is heart warming to see Ho Sik turning round from a compulsive gambler to a hard working father for Young Joo. It must have been difficult to raise a daughter as a single dad.

In-gwon’s diabetic problem is worrisome.  I hope he will get treatment so that he can enjoy his grandchild.

Hyeon’s decision to quit school is so sad.  He is portrayed as hard working and willing to work.  Unfortunately he is not able to perform well and complete his tasks.  Ideally, his father can help him to complete his education son that he can lead a better life in the future.

Young Joo is intelligent as well as hard working.  It is a relief to know  that her father is willing to help her  at the end of the episode.  I just hope she does not lose her baby.

Eun Hee is amazing.   She is caring as well as generous to her friends in Pureung Village.  It is a pity that she does not have an equally caring partner.

hai @peonie .., thank you for sharing your review with us, Peonie. :D

tumblr-ac76bc487a94815e68a9ff13660b3083-

• Like 9

I didn’t expect these two last episodes to hit me this hard but I admit it freely I sobbed like crazy especially during the last scene. To me, those were the best two episodes so far. Usually you take this or that side but I genuinely felt heartbroken for both fathers and children. This is life. With all the ups and downs.

It was poignant that the reasons both fathers changed their lives was because of their children. One was struggling with gambling and the other led a thug life. But their children were the reasons they wanted to change and led the proper lives so their children could be proud of them. This pregnancy news was a major blow to everything they worked so hard for but I do believe they will overcome it as a joint family. Because their children don’t want to give up and throw their lives away - they’re merely postponing their plans and that’s just so admirable for them to be this strong at such a young age.

• Like 9

@aisling I like your opinion You've analyzed clearly and visually. I appreciate it.:thumbsup: 

It might not be the moment I shed the most tears in this drama. It also has a summary of Dong Suk's story with his mother. I believe that it will definitely be severely bitter, emotionally squeezed. I will wait to see the 2 actors.The winner of the prestigious award on the stage The greatest in the entertainment industry Come to clash with acting skills Excellent, Believe that I will definitely cry a lot. I'm always sensitive to poor old people.:cold_sweat:

• Like 6

13 hours ago, qynn said:

I kind of doubt she'll have a miscarriage but premature delivery, perhaps, or she'll have life-threatening bleeding since they made the point that she has placenta previa. That would bring everyone together, for sure. 

Thanks for the reminder about placenta previa - you're right, they made the point to say that so I'm sure it will factor in to the story later. Along with the acute diabetes that In Gwon has! Placenta previa and acute diabetes are no joke. These four (five including baby) will all need each other!

9 hours ago, peonie said:

Hyeon’s decision to quit school is so sad.  He is portrayed as hard working and willing to work.  Unfortunately he is not able to perform well and complete his tasks. 

It was hard to watch Hyeon try so hard at his part-time jobs but not do so well. He really just belongs in school. :)

14 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

That broke my heart on Hyeon's dad.. the man gave up his thug life to be a decent parent (well tried LoL) to his son. 

Such a powerful scene! He needed affirmation from Hyeon, not continued embarrassment :tears:. He looked so defeated in that last scene. :heartbreak:

~

There's an interesting parallel between the kids and the dads: when Young Ju and Hyeon found out about the baby, YJ's first strong reaction was to "get rid of it" since she could see her future plans and dreams slipping away. Everything she had worked so hard for was going down the drain because she would now get pinned down by a baby. Eventually with Hyeon's help she accepted the new life that was growing in her, admitted how scared she was, and she and Hyeon moved forward with telling their dads and asking for help.

The same thing happened with the dads - when they found out about the baby, they were both so shocked and they could see everything they and their kids had worked for slipping away. Their first insistent, almost feral reaction was to insist on YJ getting an abortion. (Well, first each dad blamed the other kid and their upbringing :lol:). YJ wasn't swayed and had already gone through the process of accepting the baby and choosing to keep it.

Hopefully as the dads calm down and face their new reality, they can do as the kids did and accept YJ's choice - and the baby - and the future for all of them can be OK again. It won't be the same as what all four of them had planned, but hopefully it will be better because Ho Sik and In Gwon will be reconciled to each other, and hopefully the kids will still finish school and be able to figure out what they want to do, taking into account this new baby, too. It will be crazy and messy, but if the four of them stick together they can do it! Fighting!

• Like 5

Our Blues Episode 8 Recap: Yeong-ju Leaves Home After Ho-sik Makes Her Choose Between Abortion And Leaving Home

Our Blues (우리들의 블루스) is a Korean drama series directed by Kim Kyu-tae and features Lee Byung-hun, Shin Min-a, Cha Seung-won, Lee Jung-eun, Han Ji-min, Kim Woo-bin, and Uhm Jung-hwa, alongside other cast members. The series has 20 episodes, and Our Blues Episode 8 is titled In-gwon and Ho-sik 2 and has a runtime of 67 minutes.

In Our Blues Episode 8, Ho-sik and In-gwon get into a big fight in the market after In-gwon gives money to Ho-sik for Yeong-ju’s abortion. They have been fighting for many years and everyone knows about it but this fight is different from others. They have no self-control and keep on beating each other. In-gwon is stronger than Ho-sik and beats him until he bleeds. Had Jeong-jun not meddled, Ho-sik would have been dead.

Our Blues Episode 8

Yeong-ju comes home to find her father’s face swollen and bleeding. Ho-sik is extremely upset and won’t talk to Yeong-ju unless it is about going to the hospital. Ho-sik tells her that she won’t have everything her way in this life and she should leave home if she wants to have a baby. He calls her baby baggage and tells her to get rid of it because it isn’t easy to raise a baby knowing how difficult it was for him to raise Yeong-ju. Hurt by his words, Yeong-ju packs her things and leaves home to go live in a motel.

Hyun has stopped attending high school and going to the academy as well. He has taken two part-time jobs and when he finds out that Yeong-ju has left home, he visits her first and gives his pay to her. Hyun insists Yeong-ju go back home but Yeong-ju thinks that her father will take her home if she doesn’t go back in a week. However, Ho-sik is not going to give in this time. He doesn’t budge even when Hyun tells him that Yeong-ju has a cold.

Our Blues Episode 8

The owner of the motel calls In-gwon when Ho-sik doesn’t pick up his calls. In-gwon goes to the motel and forces Yeong-ju out of the motel to take her to the hospital. Hyun has already called Ho-sik because Yeong-ju is sick with a cold and he is on his way. Hyun tells his father to leave Yeong-ju alone but pushes him when he doesn’t let her go. He tells his father that he has always been an embarrassment to him and he should have gone with his mom. This deeply hurts In-gwon but Ho-sik starts beating him again because he saw him forcing Yeong-ju. They fight in the middle of the street and end up in jail.

Our Blues Episode 8 Ending

In jail, In-gwon asks Ho-sik why he has been angry with him for all these years when he hasn’t done anything wrong. Ho-sik tells him that he could only rely on him when his wife left him but at that time, In-gwon called ‘Dirt-poor Jerk’ in front of his daughter and that hurt him coming from his close friend. In-gwon thought it was okay to call his close friend any bad word but at that time, Ho-sik was really dirt poor and In-gwon called him so in front of his daughter.

https://www.leisurebyte.com/our-blues-episode-8-recap-yeong-ju/

• Like 6

Sorry, I haven't watched episode 8 yet so I wanted to go on a tangent about Yeong-Ok for a bit (I was reading the older comments/theories).

My thoughts:

(1) Mystery caller doesn't feel like an ex or a stalker since she can easily block those kinds of calls (or report to the police). In fact, she makes it a point to patiently respond to the texts and answer the phone calls in a reassuring way (saying yes, I love you too) even though it obviously zaps her energy to do so. That's why I think this is probably a slightly unhinged family member, probably her mom (since that's the only family member that's been mentioned so far). This very needy family member may be in a hospital/mental facility or someone who's always drunk/high with drugs.

(2) Because she seems to have been dealing with this emotionally unstable/slightly unhinged family member for a long time, she copes by ignoring pleasantly statements or situations that others would normally take the time to clarify/turn down explicitly. She doesn't see the point in wasting her time arguing with people who can't be reasoned to (like the drunk Captain Bae) and just continues to do her thing (get home through a hired driver). Her smiles are taken in as consent even though she didn't actually give it. Basically, she avoids conflict and tries to minimize confrontations, striving to stay friendly but this causes misinterpretations.

(3) She's not a liar. It seems to me that she only gives snippets of truths so she seem like a liar. The bits of info she has given can all be parts of the same truth.

• Convenience store lady asked Yeong Ok what her mom thinks about the artwork of the nephew because she heard that the mom is/was an artist (Note: mystery caller has been sending photos of random things so s/he may be artistically inclined)
  • Yeong Ok's parent(s) supposedly had a store/clothing store in Dongdaemun (which again can be in relation to an artist's job)
  • Yeong Ok told another haenyeo that she had no parents (which they interpreted to mean dead/orphaned) but it can also mean they've been absent from her life, hence she considers herself to have no parents
  • Rather than deny or be ashamed when the senior haenyeo confronted her about the "lies" she walked out in restrained anger. I'm not sure she was angry because she was called a liar or because she was associated with someone crazy (the line was "unless you're crazy, why would you lie")

So, in summary:

Yeong Ok is slightly self absorbed, but she seems to really like the oldest haenyeo (she makes it a point to pick them up even though she's habitually late, and asks questions like how is the senior haenyeo feeling today etc.). And she has already said she wants to settle down and be able to call Jeju her home (presumably far from the people she's avoiding in the mainland).

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

I might not be able to write comprehensive review for EP 7/8 but by far the most sensitive and enthralling episode. They tacked the whole teen pregnancy issue and reactions of single fathers and how they weaved it and made parallelism of how certain words can entirely change your perspective for something was SUPER powerful.

YJ wanted to abort the kid, With HY help she changed the way

One congratulations from a stranger gave her hope and +vity

YJ's dad world view changed for better but he lost out his BFF because of one sentence.

HY's dad entire ego/personality crumbled due to one sentence.

Just drama and real element depictions at its best.

Also Netflix mistranslated it lol, YJ's dad - That day my wife left me, I borrowed money from Eun-Hui who left me for being poor...made me think she is YJ's mom lol.

Can someone please give some solid script for KWB? His main work is to make sure people are alive, not fighting or jotting down notes about Miss OK. I mean....

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

This is such a good show.

In-gwon and Ho-sik for couple of the year. Ha ha.

They may snarl at each other like rabid dogs, but they do live upstairs and downstairs from each other. They couldn't hate each other that much. It turns out, they are so hurt by each other because of how much they loved each other! Wahahaha.

What an amazing show. The ones who love you the most can also hurt you the most. When In-gwon and Hyeon embraced each other and cried at the end... ahhh, just thinking about it is making me cry again. :tears: And then the camera pans out to show Ho-sik standing in the rain watching them... hahaha, all the tears. This show.

Why is this show airing at nearly the same time as "My Liberation Notes?" Two masterpieces are both airing on weekends? They couldn't space them out? I have things to do!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1