[Drama 2021] Red Shoes, 빨강 구두

Lmangla

On 8/13/2021 at 7:53 PM, tulip06 said:

Hye Bin hasn’t really done anything, though. She’s just immature and that stupid trope of being the “rich rude kid.” That photographer was one too, in the beginning, and he didn’t get any abuse or excitement over possible dog fights later on for it. And she shows signs of ethics, like not wanting to claim other people’s designs as her own. I’d rather she just comes around and becomes a good person. Otherwise, this show is going to become a yawning bore that follows old tired sexist lines.

The photographer has done next to nothing compared to Hye Bin - other than the misunderstanding between him and Jin-Ah when they first met, a misunderstanding he almost immediately apologized for. What has he done that equates to Hye Bins continued condescension/rudeness to multiple characters? Has she apologized for her condescension/rudeness to anyone? Ever? - And again, rooting for drama baddies to get their comeuppance isn't "abuse".  

On your comment about the show following sexist lines - are "rude female chaebol heirs" an often used trope in dailies, Yes. However, so is the tired trope of "corrupt, lecherous, male Assemblymen"  which this drama also has - there are villainous characters of both genders in this drama - I personally don't see how that is sexist.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

16 hours ago, maribella said:

While I can really pity Gemma's life after being abandoned, what is she expecting to get or do after spooking HK? Making sassy talk to her ex-mother is not revenge. She looks old to me. Even when her hair is down, she looks like in her 40s.

I do not see this drama as a revenge troupe but rather a story of reconciliation. Relationships between parents and children are complicated especially in this case of sudden abandonment and of both parents. One suddenly left without explanation and the other died. I think having a parent die is painful but is easier to understand, accept and reconcile with but harder to understand when someone who was a loving and caring parent suddenly disappears. It leaves a painful emotional/psychological impact and each character (the abandoner and the abandoned) have different ways of resolving their issues of abandonment through reconciliation, growing up and letting go but the steps to get there are complicated and painful for both mother and daughter. And that is what is happening between Jin Ah and mom. Both are confronted with emotions too hot to handle. One drama that is similar to this is "Mother of Mine". Very similar but the ending is of lessons learned, forgiveness, reconciliation and family. The same actress played the abandoning mother in both dramas. 

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

The photographer has done next to nothing compared to Hye Bin - other than the misunderstanding between him and Jin-Ah when they first met, a misunderstanding he almost immediately apologized for.

He is somehow becoming the comic relief in the drama. I laughed so hard when he suddenly picked up a limping Gemma and yelled at grandma and the maid to get out of the way.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, lila21 said:

I do not see this drama as a revenge troupe but rather a story of reconciliation. Relationships between parents and children are complicated especially in this case of sudden abandonment and of both parents. One suddenly left without explanation and the other died. I think having a parent die is painful but is easier to understand, accept and reconcile with but harder to understand when someone who was a loving

Hard to tell what this writer had in mind. But Gemma very clearly said many times that she wanted revenge and she would make them pay. Just her MO is lacking in focus. Maybe the underlying story is her seeking for her old mother and trying to make sense of what happened. I do not think she or the writer will let us viewers forget that the mother had refused her son's dying wish. HK needs to pay before the kumbaya ending.

No doubt it will have a kumbaya ending, otherwise they would not have shown that the mother was a loving devoted mother and the father was an abusive drunkard. But even he had a sad story of abandonment and living on the streets.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, maribella said:

Just her MO is lacking in focus. Maybe the underlying story is her seeking for her old mother and trying to make sense of what happened. I do not think she or the writer will let us viewers forget that the mother had refused her son's dying wish.

Exactly. That is what I think is being told here. Because of conflicting emotions, the mind and heart are not in sync. The mind says revenge but the heart says something else. Remember when Gemma and Mama came face to face for the first time at grandma's house, she imagined her mom handing her the rose bushes and saying "jin-ah, my daughter, etc..." and herself yelling "I am not your daughter, you horrible woman, blah, blah" and imagining slapping her mother with the rose bushes, causing mom's face to bleed. That happened in her imagination. In her mind she wants to be the one rejecting the mother and not the other way around but before she can reject mom, mom has to recognize her as the loved daughter. What is the use of rejecting someone who does not even care? What she does not realize is that Mom is plagued with guilt. She is spooked and panicking and that for me is just the beginning of revenge but Jin Ah has not fully grasped it yet. Mom, is not focused, her husband is on to her, he found someone as talented or better than wifey as a shoe designer who spooks his wife and sides with that designer, Gemma, not knowing that she is his wife's daughter. It is early and there are many more angst to come. I think there will come a time when Mom will come to her daughter, all bloodied and broken and it will be Jin Ah's decision then to fully exact her revenge of rejection as she imagined. But will she? 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

11 hours ago, tulip06 said:

Hye Bin hasn’t really done anything, though. She’s just immature and that stupid trope of being the “rich rude kid.” That photographer was one too, in the beginning, and he didn’t get any abuse or excitement over possible dog fights later on for it. And she shows signs of ethics, like not wanting to claim other people’s designs as her own. I’d rather she just comes around and becomes a good person. Otherwise, this show is going to become a yawning bore that follows old tired sexist lines.

Its a daily drama, they aren't exactly known for being super innovative, have set older demographic audience. I think its safe to say, the rich evil brat angle will continue.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

Its a daily drama, they aren't exactly known for being super innovative, have set older demographic audience. I think its safe to say, the rich evil brat angle will continue.

True. 
I need to see something other than this Tom and Jerry story soon, or I will drop this show. MHK falling apart so quickly is kind of ridiculous. She is supposed to be this amazing genius, yet she is so careless with important things like her flash drive and phone and keeps using the same restaurant for important secret meetings! In fact, owned by her money lender, so of course it would be bugged!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

well, that ending of today's episode -- there is definitely not going to be some kumbaya reconciliation between the two. waiting to see with subs tomorrow.... should be fun watch! 

I keep forgetting we're 1 episode off of the weekly schedule - that was clearly supposed to be a Friday cliffhanger.

While the very ending was decidedly unfriendly, I thought HK was honestly being sincere, or at least trying in the beginning - but I need those subs too ... if you're going to try to apologize over dinner, why do it in an abandoned warehouse?  Additionally, HK didn't have any shadowy bad guys there with her, so until subs prove otherwise, I'm going with initial intent was an honest one, and she just snapped when Jin-Ah rejected her.  A great scene even without subs though.

Gun-Wook gave HK's pearls to restaurant bestie after "acquiring" them from Mom ...

Face Palm GIF by Captain Obvious

So another scene in desperate need of subs is the Jin-Ah/Ke-Seok tennis court ending - it sounded like he got a phone call from his ex student/accuser and that dampened the heart tugs Jin-Ah was trying to apply ... but again -subs.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

While the very ending was decidedly unfriendly, I thought HK was honestly being sincere, or at least trying in the beginning - but I need those subs too ... if you're going to try to apologize over dinner, why do it in

Sincere? Meeting your own daughter whom you have rejected and abandoned in an abandoned building - probably condemned too. There are so many other places to show her sincerity. 

The building, old dirty and rundown is symbolic of HK's feelings for Gemma, the dinner for two setting represents a subterfuge to fool someone who was an inconvenience but now is threatening her whole life.  :lol: Sorry people, I had spent 12 weeks analysing, debating and interrogating obscure writings, I need to stop now.

If HK is bribing Gemma with a cold dinner in a dingy, smelly building, she is stupider than I thought. But come to think of it, she built Lora with help from Mr Kwon, she plagiarises designs and also steals them, she flirts ( perhaps more) with assembly man Son to move up. No, she's not really super duper in anything. So for her to set up the dinner meeting is in character. I think she could show sincerity better by meeting Gemma in a beautiful park and share a chocolate bar with her. 

8 hours ago, Lmangla said:

well, that ending of today's episode -- there is definitely not going to be some kumbaya reconciliation between the two. waiting to see with subs tomorrow.... should be fun watch! 

Don't be too sure. I can't remember which shows but there were characters that tried to murder, kidnap bankrupt and spread awful rumours about the main characters yet were being forgiven and sent off for exile in NYC!  
Of all places, ah Broadway, the ABT ...

I am still holding out for Ommas. This episode is just about 1/5 of the show.

• LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

I wonder where is the story heading is it revenge or karma I started this show from the beginning it look like it was revenge but then the FL mother find out who gemma is so early on the show,the best revenge is for Gemma to leave the company and start her own shoe design with Ms Choi help to beat her mom as the best shoe designer And secretly have Ms Choi start buying stock from the mother company I hope it go that way but who know that’s just my thought So what is everyone thought?Come Here Follow Me GIF

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Classic symptoms of abused woman

The writer accurately describes the emotional and mental turmoil experienced by an abused woman. HK was wrong to abandon her children, but she was in no position to bring them with her either. They were better off with the father who cherished them sincerely and tried his best to care for them. HK on the other hand, never got any help like legal advise, counselling etc  to change emotionally and mentally and acquire the means and ability to help herself and her children from a place of strength. She has this deep unfillable void and feelings of fear and unworthiness. Therefore, she attracts people, particularly men. who are abusive towards her and use her just like her 2 husbands and Mr. Baldy.  Her “in laws” looked down on her, and demeaned her, and she would never have been able to bring her children with her. Besides husband 2 would not help her because he would implicate himself on the death of the husband. Talented as she is, she must prove herself to be worthy, to be recognized and be loved so does what she thinks she must do including stealing, cheating and “intimate” favors. Husband 2 used her talents to build his company and he gave the position of CEO but never gave her credit of the one who grew the company. When HK gets in trouble, husband 2 bullies her into “leaving” as in taking a vacation in another country and maybe make an excuse to take her “CEO” title away. Because she really does not get the satisfaction or assurance from 2nd husband, she goes to Baldy whom she thinks will bring her and assures a government position but who is now in trouble and can pull her down with him. Husband, #2 wants to take away what he thinks he “gave” HK and wants to send her on long “vacation”.  HK then turns to the daughter whom she abandoned but who inherited the talent of shoe designing and making from both her parents and whom she never acknowledged as her daughter, until she got in trouble. She invites daughter to an old, abandoned building and set up an elaborate table for a birthday celebration to bribe Jin AH with motherly attention. HK goes into her “cry” routine and apologizes but angers Jin AH who does not accept the apology and turns around to leave but HK became a desperate crazed woman and knocked Jin Ah out cold with a heart object. The candle kindled the tablecloth and a fire started to spread from table to floor.  HK walks out leaving an unconscious Jin AH with the fire raging. Question here is, will Jin Ah tell he investigators what happened in  that building. 

The wife of Ki Seok called and maybe we will have a triangle or a square after. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

36 minutes ago, lila21 said:

The writer accurately describes the emotional and mental turmoil experienced by an abused woman.

Traumas affect people differently. But I doubt if an adult who was abused 20 years ago, living in luxury and having family support, even if the husband who has an ulterior motive, would go into a frenzy. True Gemma has been playing her, but she is the CEO of a big corporation who would have dealt with more conniving people. Unless back to my assessment that she was not really that great, probably delegating her tasks to everyone.

A childhood trauma if left untreated is more likely to surface.

There are so many episodes more. I wonder if they are going to make Gemma amnesiac.  But one thing that I am sure of is her hair will be back to normal when the head bandages are taken off. Koreans must have hard heads. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lila21 said:

Classic symptoms of abused woman

The writer accurately describes the emotional and mental turmoil experienced by an abused woman. HK was wrong to abandon her children, but she was in no position to bring them with her either. They were better off with the father who cherished them sincerely and tried his best to care for them. HK on the other hand, never got any help like legal advise, counselling etc  to change emotionally and mentally and acquire the means and ability to help herself and her children from a place of strength. She has this deep unfillable void and feelings of fear and unworthiness. Therefore, she attracts people, particularly men. who are abusive towards her and use her just like her 2 husbands and Mr. Baldy.  Her “in laws” looked down on her, and demeaned her, and she would never have been able to bring her children with her. Besides husband 2 would not help her because he would implicate himself on the death of the husband. Talented as she is, she must prove herself to be worthy, to be recognized and be loved so does what she thinks she must do including stealing, cheating and “intimate” favors. Husband 2 used her talents to build his company and he gave the position of CEO but never gave her credit of the one who grew the company. When HK gets in trouble, husband 2 bullies her into “leaving” as in taking a vacation in another country and maybe make an excuse to take her “CEO” title away. Because she really does not get the satisfaction or assurance from 2nd husband, she goes to Baldy whom she thinks will bring her and assures a government position but who is now in trouble and can pull her down with him. Husband, #2 wants to take away what he thinks he “gave” HK and wants to send her on long “vacation”.  HK then turns to the daughter whom she abandoned but who inherited the talent of shoe designing and making from both her parents and whom she never acknowledged as her daughter, until she got in trouble. She invites daughter to an old, abandoned building and set up an elaborate table for a birthday celebration to bribe Jin AH with motherly attention. HK goes into her “cry” routine and apologizes but angers Jin AH who does not accept the apology and turns around to leave but HK became a desperate crazed woman and knocked Jin Ah out cold with a heart object. The candle kindled the tablecloth and a fire started to spread from table to floor.  HK walks out leaving an unconscious Jin AH with the fire raging. Question here is, will Jin Ah tell he investigators what happened in  that building. 

The wife of Ki Seok called and maybe we will have a triangle or a square after. 

This all makes a lot of sense. Thank you for explaining.

• Like 3

At least now Gemma has legitimate reasons to get her revenge......that escalated fairly quickly but in doing so things from Gemma's perspective are no longer hazy.....I mean what the heck Hee Kyung? 

4 hours ago, Yazusa said:

I wonder where is the story heading is it revenge or karma I started this show from the beginning it look like it was revenge but then the FL mother find out who gemma is so early on the show,the best revenge is for Gemma to leave the company and start her own shoe design with Ms Choi help to beat her mom as the best shoe designer And secretly have Ms Choi start buying stock from the mother company I hope it go that way but who know that’s just my thought So what is everyone thought?

I think we might just be headed in that direction. Lets wait and see.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, maribella said:

Traumas affect people differently. But I doubt if an adult who was abused 20 years ago, living in luxury and having family support, even if the husband who has an ulterior motive, would go into a frenzy. True Gemma has been playing her, but she is the CEO of a big corporation who would have dealt with more conniving people. Unless back to my assessment that she was not really that great, probably delegating her tasks to everyone.

A childhood trauma if left untreated is more likely to surface.

Just because she is living in luxury does not mean she is not being abused. Husband 2 also used her. Without her designs and knowledge of shoe design his company would not have grown. His family abused her. He always gave her the idea that "HE" giveth and taketh away. There is no equality. The relationships she gets into with men are abusive in a way where she is being used. Until she takes responsibility and acknowledges her trauma and seeks some kind of help to heal,  let go and change she will always be a traumatized a person. She will attract relationships that are abusive. She will always blame the other person. She is ridden with guilt, (it is my fault) and blame (they made me this way their fault), self doubt and inability to take responsibility to change. Until she can deal with these emotions, she will behave as an abused person and seek abusive relationships. She does not know how to cope responsively. I think her redemption will be Jin Ah but it will be a painful road especially when the ugly past reveals itself in full measure. Jin Ah also has a big hole in her heart and until she learns to deal with the past that hole will always remain. Revenge is like a boomerang, and all the characters especially Jin Ah and mom will have to go through painful steps of revenge to learn that. That for me, is what the drama is all about. The characters confronting their pasts painfully in order to change their destinies at the now moment and not the past. Will there be kumbaya? It depends on  how much the characters ability to learn the lessons of the past. Kwon and mom may end up in prison and adoptive uncle too. It is going to get ugly. Jin Ah will go through a lot more pain than she is feeling now. Maybe the new family and the men in her life will support her immeasurably but seems they also have their own past to deal with. 

Hk's daughter Hye Bin grew up mimicking mom's behavior, "it is their fault." 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, Yazusa said:

I wonder where is the story heading is it revenge or karma I started this show from the beginning it look like it was revenge but then the FL mother find out who gemma is so early on the show,the best revenge is for Gemma to leave the company and start her own shoe design with Ms Choi help to beat her mom as the best shoe designer And secretly have Ms Choi start buying stock from the mother company I hope it go that way but who know that’s just my thought So what is everyone thought?

Revenge and karma are one and the same from the way I see it. I agree and like the idea of Gemma starting her own company. That is the best way to "revenge" but until she realizes that her idea of revenge, confronting her mother with child abandonment is futile because her mother is plagued with guilt but unable to face or admit it, Jin Ah will remain in the company. Hopefully what happened in that abandoned building will open Jin Ah's eyes, that forcing guilt on her mother is not the way to go. Mother only wants to use her then be rid of her. Playboy has been  suggesting to her of going their own way and grandma has said to HK that if she does not like Gemma, to fire her and her grandson too. Fire both of them. I wonder if that is some "prediction" by the writer for Gemma and Playboy leaving Lora and grandma to help them both. She also has been wondering about the relationship between KS and Gemma. I think grandma has something up her sleeves. She was annoyed at HK's unannounced visit, she reminded HK of the due interest payments to her loan. I laughed at her reminding HK that she is BOSS. 

• Like 4