Current Events

I remember many years ago when there was an article that Asians would need to score much higher than the other students in the SAT in order to enter an Ivy League university. I warned my sister and my friends about this. At that time, there were many Asians in these Ivy League universities. They didn't think it would become a problem when they'd have children. When I have kids, this would be one of the reasons why I'd raise them outside the US. Fortunately, the discrimination has been debated in the Senate Judiciary Committee recently. This has raised my hope for education in the US a bit.

• 1 month later...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/justices-aim-race-conscious-college-120900034.html

Justices to take aim at race-conscious college admissions in affirmative action cases

DEVIN DWYER and SARAH HERNDON

In her 2003 opinion upholding affirmative action in higher education, former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor famously predicted that in 25 years "the use of racial preferences will no longer be necessary" in America.

Next week, years after that milestone and with lingering gaps in minority college acceptance and achievement, a new group of justices will decide whether to overrule O'Connor – and more than 40 years of precedent – to declare that admissions policies must be race-blind.

"That would be a sea change in American law with huge implications across society," said Jeffrey Rosen, president and CEO of the National Constitution Center.

In a pair of oral arguments Monday, the justices will take up race-conscious admissions policies at Harvard University, the nation's oldest private college, and the University of North Carolina, the nation's oldest public university.

It is the first test for affirmative action before the current court with its six-justice conservative majority and three justices of color, including the first-ever Black woman justice, Ketanji Brown Jackson.

"I think we have to be realistic in that this is a very conservative Supreme Court," said David Lewis, a Harvard University junior and member of the school's Black Students Association. "But this issue has been tried over and over again at the court, and the precedent has still been upheld."

Students for Fair Admissions, a conservative and multiracial coalition of 22,000 students and parents, sued the schools in 2014 alleging intentional discrimination toward Asian American applicants in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment..........