[Drama 2021] Person Who Looks Like You/Reflection of You, 너를 닮은 사람

larus

Possible spoiler.

Spoiler

I read the book this drama is based off of. I really hope it ends differently in the drama. 
I feel like I’m in the minority in rooting and hoping for HW to have a happy/satisfying ending. (I might be biased Bc the book. in the book HJ is the one who asked WJ to come to her in Germany because she was jealous that he was going to marry HW, while she was still married and before HW and WJ was about to get married) I don’t like HJ character, solely on the fact that she has no remorse of what she did. And in her dialogue with HW she’s basically stating that she’s got nothing to do with HW’s misery. That everything is just in HW’s mind and she’s delusional.  HJ doesn’t realize that HW knows about HJ’s affair, even the truth about her son. HJ in the book left WJ because she didn’t want to raise her kid poor. She went back to Korea to her husband and pretended like nothing happened.  HW’s purpose was for HJ to admit to what she did instead of all the lies HJ was telling. In the end HJ killed HW in fear of the truth of her affair, possible paternity of her child coming to light and her reputation being smeared.  Because she is now seen as a highly successful artist and writer who did all this on her own.  You know overcoming poor and underprivileged life to marrying into a rich family and finding her artistic talents on her own. 

And also WJ is also totally a jerk face and blame is also on him for not being forthcoming on his feelings and stringing HW around. 

and to clear up some info. HJ was married when she met HW and WJ.  The drama did switch up the kids. In the book Lisa is the 2nd child while the brother is the older 1st born. But In the drama Lisa is the older one and HoSu is the younger kid. Presumably to be HJ and WJ son. (Not sure if the drama is going to give a clear answer on this. But I bet 99% he will be WJ’s son). The book HJ didn’t know who was the father. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sunnywoo said:

I read the book this drama is based off of. I really hope it ends differently in the drama. 
I feel like I’m in the minority in rooting and hoping for HW to have a happy/satisfying ending. I don’t like HJ character, solely on the fact that she has no remorse of what she did. And in her dialogue with HW she’s basically stating that she’s got nothing to do with HW’s misery. HJ doesn’t realize that HW knows everything, even the truth about her son. 

And also WJ is also totally a jerk face and blame is also on him.  

i'm not really agreed, HW obsession with WJ is beyond crazy,

i think now they both are the worst HW and HJ, i suppose at the end HJ will be killed or it will be a suicide for her

yes WJ is a jerk, but it's obvious that he loves HJ 

• Like 2

I wonder if they’ll kill off HW. And have HJ’s lies exposed and she is ruined and WJ is left alive knowing and feeling guilt that he was involved in ruining both HJ and HW.  
that art lady mentioned how WJ father had a pitiful life too and it seemed to involve his love life. 

I also don’t agree with how HW is still so obsessed with WJ.  I think she needs to let that man go and live happier. But I think the character is supposed to represent someone who was happy and bright despite her poor background, but becomes total opposite when faced with such betrayal.  It shows how a good person becomes so bitter and angry, especially when someone who seems to have “everything” takes the one thing she has that she values.  
she’s become super angry at those who take advantage of the weak and poor. But of course more than that her urge for revenge and wanting WJ to be with her is greater than the greater good. I think more so now that grandpa died.
I think I’d have more empathy for HJ if she showed, even when she’s by herself, remorse for her affair. Or if she DOES love WJ then admit to it and end her marriage and admit to her affair and go off with WJ without all the lies. Her comment to her friend about her son really annoyed me.  I feel like back in the old days you saw this type of drama but roles reversed. HJ and HW would’ve been the male leads and WJ would’ve been the female lead.  

remember the drama ‘What happened in Bali’. Everyone died, all the characters were pitiful.  

conclusion..Everyone Is the a-hole in this drama. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunnywoo said:

conclusion..Everyone Is the a-hole in this drama. 

yup, everyone's annoying. not one character is likeable, even the side characters. the doctor brother is an idiot, even the little boy ho-su is a brat haha. the husband is the least annoying but then again he ran over and hid someone in a foreign country.

go hyun jung's acting is really superb though. if you just look at her in the moment and not analyze the things she's done, you'd really sympathize with her.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aria26 said:

go hyun jung's acting is really superb though. if you just look at her in the moment and not analyze the things she's done, you'd really sympathize with her.

Agree !  She really is killing it here. I think she had to.  This is her first drama after the whole ‘Return’ fiasco. 

• Like 3

I tried to understand Hae Won but she makes no sense to me. I get that she is a victim but I think there are only so much that can be excused on account of somebody being a victim. I started of thinking I understand her and her revenge would make sense but it no longer does. She has a choice here and she has chosen the wrong thing too many times. I think Hui Ju as awful as she is tried her level best to keep things in order in episode 9 and 10, which surprised me. Hurting/pretending to hurt/kidnapping Hoe Su is taking things too far. I have my doubts if its directly Hae Won or Hae Won manipulating Hui Ju's sister-in-law's husband that would cause this. I just don't think Hae Won can come back from this attempt.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2021 at 4:47 PM, Nymeria289 said:

I tried to understand Hae Won but she makes no sense to me. I get that she is a victim but I think there are only so much that can be excused on account of somebody being a victim. I started of thinking I understand her and her revenge would make sense but it no longer does. She has a choice here and she has chosen the wrong thing too many times. I think Hui Ju as awful as she is tried her level best to keep things in order in episode 9 and 10, which surprised me. Hurting/pretending to hurt/kidnapping Hoe Su is taking things too far. I have my doubts if its directly Hae Won or Hae Won manipulating Hui Ju's sister-in-law's husband that would cause this. I just don't think Hae Won can come back from this attempt.

Agree, HW has officially entered crazy head space.

Hae Won is a total nutcase who will end up in prison, in a psych facility or die by suicide or killed. She is miserable because her friend and her man who became her husband had a hot fiery affair. There is a possibility that she could make it right with Woo Jae by giving themselves the chance to rebuild their relationship but with her attitude, does not seem likely. If that does not happen then accept it for what it is, let go and move on. But Hae Won wants the world to know her misery, her pathetic self-pity and begs the world to commiserate with her. The world will tell her to keep her angst and torment to herself. Others have been there, done that and moved on. If she looks around no one is exactly crying with her, nor applauding her. Instead, people try to stay away from her, even her so called husband who married her for pity and guilt, not love which invites more misery and anger on her part. She should listen to what the bar owner told her, chasing after someone to punish them your whole life is a life that is worthless.  His experiences in life had opened his eyes and mind to the reality of his bitterness. He changed, learned to forgive and moved on. Revenge on Hui Ju for having an affair with her husband, to punish her will not satisfy Hae Won’s anger but it will only bring her down to hellish torment. The only one who can take away Hae Won’ sadness, the anger and bitterness is Hae Won herself. Punishing HJ and her children will only make her a pitiful criminal. 

Hui Ju was wrong for deceiving her friend, her husband and her family. But HJ, made a choice and it was a hard choice on her part to leave the man she had an affair with and return to her husband who adores her, her children and family. She chose her husband, family and career and yes, her husband’s family had money and power, but it was her prerogative to make that choice. Does that make her a bad person for the choice she made? She hurt many people with that affair, but then she chose to end it. She did not know about the accident that happened between her husband and Woo Jae.  

Hae Won can’t go around inviting pity anymore. In everyone’s eyes, she is a nutcase, vindictive and crazed woman 

I remember this movie, Covered Bridges in Madison County where the woman fell in love with a photographer and had an affair with him while her husband whom she did not love, and children were on vacation. In the end when the husband returned the photographer had asked the woman to run away with him. It was a tempting offer which she agonized over but she chose to stay with her children and family and the photographer left town. This case is different in that HJ had an affair with the husband of her friend. The point is, in the end HJ chose her family and children. Should she forever be punished and judged for a wrong choice she made?  

It seems that people except for the mother-in-law, do not care and that is what angers Hae Won because she wants the world to judge and ruin HJ and her relationships and social standing. She is ruining herself instead.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lila21 said:

But Hae Won wants the world to know her misery, her pathetic self-pity and begs the world to commiserate with her. The world will tell her to keep her angst and torment to herself. Others have been there, done that and moved on.

Yes. I actually do not understand the intention of the production of this drama. Do they want us to understand Hae Won? Or does it simply want us to see her as a crazy obsessed villain? If it is the former, they had failed because majority of the people in the world would have already moved on from cheating exes and congratulated themselves for good riddance. If it is the latter, then we are spending too much time with the villain. Rather than see her family etc, I would rather see her cook up creative schemes and feel scared for Hui Ju. There is nothing interesting about her situation or motivations, so far. I dont know, maybe it will all make sense if it is revealed that she was actually pushed off to the river sometime in the past and it's not just a metaphor for her feelings. But then, if someone attempted to murder you, it would make more sense to go to the police, right?

and the other characters are also just waiting around for hae won to destroy them. if I am the husband, I would try to do something about hae won, or atleast forbid hui ju from participating in that exhibit, then put an xxx meter blotter against hae won because lisa was threatened. hui ju should not have joined that exhibit at all, she saw hae won and woo jae come near hosu several times already, a real mother would have already been paranoid, she was begging to put her kids in danger. there is really nothing else to watch so I am keeping up with this, so my own fault for feeling frustrated haha

• Like 2

I am actually interested to read the book now. I want to understand the point of this drama. Lately, it isn't coming across well. I mean its fine if none of your character is redeemable, that is find but at least the story should be interesting to look at right? And for all the praises being heaped on Shin Hyun Bin, she is great but there is just very little where you can related to the way she has portrayed Hae Won and that is surprising given she is the victim by all means. It should be easy to relate back to her but I have been struggling to do that. I mean at this point with all her incredibly nasty way of going by her life, Hui Ju I understand. Her desperation, her torment all of it. Is she a nice person, no? Is she claiming to be a nice person, no? But she has something solid to protect in her success as an artist, her family life, her children, yes. Is that something easier to understand, yes. I can understand where this story is headed for Hae Won and its a disappointment to be honest.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, aria26 said:

I dont know, maybe it will all make sense if it is revealed that she was actually pushed off to the river sometime in the past and it's not just a metaphor for her feelings. But then, if someone attempted to murder you, it would make more sense to go to the police, right?

and the other characters are also just waiting around for hae won to destroy them. if I am the husband, I would try to do something about hae won, or atleast forbid hui ju from participating in that exhibit, then put an xxx meter blotter against hae won because lisa was threatened. hui ju should not have joined that exhibit at all, she saw hae won and woo jae come near hosu several times already, a real mother would have already been paranoid, she was begging to put her kids in danger.

I agree. If someone pushed HW off a cliff down the river to drown, then report it to the police or get some evidence if any of whom pushed her or tried to drown her. And yes, the way Hae Won stalks HJ and her family, HJ her husband should have taken precautions to distance the family from the crazed stalker.

• Like 1

I don't watch the show and have no intention to do so. I only watch some clips and read mini recaps about it. My main reason why i can't watch this is because of the anger and disappointment i felt after reading the book.

Spoiler

I despise the fact that Hee Joo gets away with everything she did without any feeling of regret. She doesn't even say sorry to Hae Won

It surprises me how many people take Hee Joo's side instead of Hae Won after watching the drama, which is understandable given how the drama shapes Hae Won's character into obsessed helpless woman she is now. The big part that turn people into "hating" Hae Won is how she manipulates/plays with children's feelings and her persistence in keeping Woo Jae by her side. This didn't happen in the book. All Hae Won did was haunt Hee Joo by keep appearing in front of her and reminds Hee Joo of her crime to make her apologize to Hae Won for what she did. Besides we are given the impression that Woo Jae has never had sincere feelings for Hae Won while in the book it is implied that Woo Jae chased after Hae Won when they were students before having a change of heart and fall for Hee Joo.

I'm a bit biased to Hae Won because i read the book first and there's no way to feel sympathy for Hee Joo in the book. Hae Won is miserable, she herself chooses to live in hell when she has option to free herself off of her past. Nothing should justify her acts, not even her harsh circumstances that gives her little to no option living decent life (financially successful just like Hee Joo). But Hee Joo's remorseless attitude is definitely a turn off for me. Everyone has something they want to protect, just as much as you want to protect that, you should never step on others' to protect yours and feel no sense of guilt living your life at the cost of others. 

Overall this show is full of broken people and we should never defend any of them for what they did. Defense and empathy should be given to those who show remorse of the mess they create and try to fix it with all their might.

On a side note, i read a korean review of the book, that says what's so impactful about the book is how personal it seems to be. Please take it with grain of salt as i read it with the help of google translation. At the epilogue the writer wrote something which shows that she is writing the book to remind Hee Joo of her life of what she did to her and wait for her to apologize. And this is what the book highlight, that Hae Won's intention is to get Hee Joo to sincerely apologize to her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@bee_wannabe can you point me towards the book? I have been trying to find it. I understand your frustrations but Hui Ju isn't very special. Look around us, she is one of many people in position of privilege who go about their lives after ruining something for somebody. I don't think anybody sympathizes with her but I would say this show hasn't done well to sympathize Hae Won to me. So maybe the book will.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bee_wannabe said:

But Hee Joo's remorseless attitude is definitely a turn off for me. Everyone has something they want to protect, just as much as you want to protect that, you should never step on others' to protect yours and feel no sense of guilt living your life at the cost of others. 

The problem with Hae Won caring so much and wanting an apology is, she gives the other (Hee Joo and her cheating husband Woo Jae) control of her state of mind and life.  In other words, Hae Won is saying that she will be happy if only Hee Joo apologized to her. She and only she is responsible for her contentment and life. Just like what the barkeep said, he realized that his anger, his unhappiness and seeking revenge on people who caused his wife’s misery destroyed his life and he understood that the condition of his emotions, his bitterness, his anger was his doing. When he did that, he took responsibility for his own feelings, was able to let go and move on to build a positive, responsible and happier life. Why should she care so much about Hee Joo apologizing? She is giving Hee Joo the upper hand by caring so much about an apology. And the very first episode, she physically attacks a student who is Hee Joo’s daughter. That is how she gets an apology??? The impression, I am getting is that Hae Won thinks that Hee Joo is a successful because of her rich and powerful in laws and therefore shaming Hee Joo will destroy Hee Joo’s relationship with her in laws and her reputation and that is how she teaches Hee Joo a lesson and gets an apology?  That for me is a twisted way of thinking. What the bar owner said and was wanting to impart to Hae Won was deeply profound. Hae Won used to be a beautiful, joyful young woman and a talented artist. So, like the phoenix, she can rise from the ashes of her devastated relationships, harness her talent, without giving a care about Hee Joo’s life and become successful in her own right. Woo Jae is an artist himself. Instead of trying to manipulate Woo Jae, if Hae Won concentrates on her own work and line of art, Woo Jae’s interest could be aroused, and he might remember her as the girl he first fell in love with. If not, she could just dump Woo Jae and move on. Would it not be more satisfying if she gets Woo Jae to fall for her again and she dumps him? When she gets the art world to recognize her work, she could care less about what Hee Joo is doing and Hee Joo’s life because she is content and at peace???   To h3!! with Hee Jo's apology. Let fate (karma) teach Hee Joo the lesson she needs. Fate does not forget.

• Like 3

I'm in the minority here. I'm loving the story, the cinematography and the characters. There are some shots (eg, the focus on the legs when our leads pushed one another into the river in earlier episodes) that are aesthetic and creative and different, and I'm enjoying analysing them. The only person I need retribution for is the evil mother in law, and that wife-beating insecure husband. Those two need a conclusive comeuppance. The other characters need a logical conclusion for their storylines.

I love how terrible everyone is. The children may be extreme and were hard to adjust to, but they're clearly brought up poorly, what with undermining/ interference from MIL and the coddling from the parents. It seems like the past of Hui Joo's brother is coming to haunt him soon. What did he do and does it have anything to do with the rest of the story? I'm very anxious to find out! 

On 11/11/2021 at 12:37 AM, sunnywoo said:

Agree !  She really is killing it here. I think she had to.  This is her first drama after the whole ‘Return’ fiasco. 

I remember that mess:huh:!!!! Whew!! 

Her kiss scene and chemistry with the younger Woo Jae has been pleasing. Their scenes do not look weird, forced or out of place, just a matter of course. I'll never be one to shun a good kiss scene.:P

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, africandramalover said:

It seems like the past of Hui Joo's brother is coming to haunt him soon. What did he do and does it have anything to do with the rest of the story? I'm very anxious to find out! 

I also am very curious to know what he did. I mean he is so afraid of this woman revealing his past "crime". I am wondering if Hae Won knows about that too.

I actually love the drama and that kiss was hot. WJ had no hesitation, he instinctively knew he had  passionately done before. His body knew it.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

12 hours ago, lila21 said:

Just like what the barkeep said, he realized that his anger, his unhappiness and seeking revenge on people who caused his wife’s misery destroyed his life and he understood that the condition of his emotions, his bitterness, his anger was his doing. When he did that, he took responsibility for his own feelings, was able to let go and move on to build a positive, responsible and happier life. 

I wonder if the barkeep is also in the novel? It seems that production is aware of Hae Won's flaw in logic. I hope they are going to something interesting here. K-dramas are surprisingly full of life lessons, so maybe the writer is setting us up for something worth munching on later.

15 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

I understand your frustrations but Hui Ju isn't very special. Look around us, she is one of many people in position of privilege who go about their lives after ruining something for somebody. 

Yes, these types of people will never find remorse, even when they fall down, they cannot connect their failures to karma/bad things they did. Best to avoid them and live a full life yourself.

I actually sympatize with Hui Ju protecting her family. She made a mistake in the past (when she was also very alone and depressed) and she hoped she could run away from that. She seem to be trying her best to become a good mother and wife this time around. She did destroy a marriage but Hae Won is trying to destroy a family. Hui Ju's lingering feelings for Woo Jae is really disappointing though. Another problem of the drama is we dont know what is there to fall in love with Woo Jae. He is this clueless smoldering guy while the husband is sweet and caring. But maybe love really is blind.

Another problem with Hae Won she is even siding with the evil brother-in-law. Maybe if the brother-in-law is a good guy trying to expose the corruption in the family, then they would get more sympathy. Maybe it is more realistic to have bad guys teaming up together, but it is not doing much to redeem Hae Won in the audience's eyes.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1