[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Luoyang 风起洛阳

sugarplum892

10 hours ago, leo2020 said:

And after today we have only 9 episodes left :tears:. I can't believe it is already coming to an end...

I wonder now what may be the ending to all this and our 3 leads. Any suggestions? HE, SE, open ending?

I have not had the time to catch up on this week's episodes yet, unfortunately.

I'm afraid I would like a bittersweet ending. Everything unraveled and cleared up, at a price. Namely Yue and Yibo. Not they themselves but their loved ones. Losing everyone they hold dear, leaving only the two of them, alone.

Of course Bai Lang must never ever come to any harm.

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, impoppies said:

I'm afraid I would like a bittersweet ending. Everything unraveled and cleared up, at a price. Namely Yue and Yibo. Not they themselves but their loved ones. Losing everyone they hold dear, leaving only the two of them, alone.

I don't want the bittersweet ending because I just get that from Novoland PE, that's really enough for me this year. However, in this drama, as I suppose we already learned, you should look for any little clues they gave you. So

Spoiler

if you remember, in ep7 or 8, when Yue found GBZ at the burial grounds of his friends and he told her his story, he specifically mentioned that after his death Yue should bring him here and bury him with his friends. And she promised to do that. That for me ,for now, is the main clue to the ending. I suppose GBZ dies, Yue's brother dies, she becomes the Head of the Guards.

The second couple I suppose will live HEA, so far nothing indicates overwise IMO.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2021 at 3:17 PM, leo2020 said:

Reveal hidden contents

if you remember, in ep7 or 8, when Yue found GBZ at the burial grounds of his friends and he told her his story, he specifically mentioned that after his death Yue should bring him here and bury him with his friends. And she promised to do that. That for me ,for now, is the main clue to the ending. I suppose GBZ dies, Yue's brother dies, she becomes the Head of the Guards.

The second couple I suppose will live HEA, so far nothing indicates overwise IMO.

Ah. I had not thought of that.

The deaths seem to be piling up.

Show, please do not do that to

Spoiler

Bai Lang

ever again. Thankfully, thankfully, he caught it.

Another awesome Bai. An Baitan. She fights well. Somehow, I was not expecting that. Ruthless. Fast. Effective.

Spoiler

Shen Fei :( 

Please come back.

Spoiler

You cannot die. You are to take care of the precious Yibo forever.

• Like 1

My own predictions for the ending.

Spoiler

Sir Wu is a bad guy, why else would Beiqi go bad, and how else to explain why Beiqi gets killed before Siyue can get any information out of him.  I think that would be Siyue's devastating ending.

Agree that there's foreshadowing of Bingzhu's death. :((

Also guessing that the current 16th night is actually Tan (Bingzhu's sister). If the show is going for particularly torturous endings, they can have Tan kill Bingzhu or Bingzhu die trying to save Tan.  [Gaaaaaah!]

On the up-side, I'm with you guys/gals that Bailang is probably the best character... funny, brave, beautifully acted, and consistently written... love him and I don't see any hint of him dying so fingers-crossed!

I'm also curious about what happens to the Empress, and whether Prince Chu succeeds her vs. the current Crown Prince.

• Blob 1

48 minutes ago, Yitian_fan said:

I'm also curious about what happens to the Empress, and whether Prince Chu succeeds her vs. the current Crown Prince.

I wonder about it as well). Since the Empress is a historical figure I've tried to read about her real story ,but there were too many names for me to manage and to associate with the drama characters))). So I've decided to just wait and see what happens))).

Re the ending, I now think 

Spoiler

you may be right about Siyue's bro, he has grown to be a very suspicious figure indeed. If it's true it would break her heart(((. I now wonder if his illness  might be fake as well...

I also think that girl is GBZ's little sister - he actress actually looks a bit like Huang Xuan))). If yes- great casting choice). 

In my heart (and although everything tells overwise) I really,  really hope I'm wrong in my prediction of GBZ's death.That's too much for poor Siyue (especially if we are right re her bro as well)... 

Re Bailang - I should confess I'm more invested in GBZ and Siyue's part of the story, I simply find the characters more interesting). Bailang for me is too quiet :lol:.  Re the character itself I think they very wisely killed

Spoiler

Shen Fei

off to allow Bailang to grow and to learn how to protect himself with his own methods. It won't be possible overwise. In addition most likely

Spoiler

Bailang's crazy bro aka The Lord of Spring would have 0% chance to get anywhere near Bailang with Shen Fei being around.

I wonder what's everyone's opinion on Bailang's wife. IMO sometimes the character is a bit annoying to say the least... 

Hi Leo2020, I wasn't referring to Baili Er Lang (Baili Hongyi) when I said Bailang, I meant Bingzhu's side kick, Bailang- his fake-wine-selling friend who knows a lot about the waterways in Luoyang. 

Baili Er Lang is not a particularly interesting character to me either, but Bailang, while meant to be a comic side-kick, manages to pack a lot of punch into his character. I'm hoping Bailang doesn't die!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yitian_fan said:

Hi Leo2020, I wasn't referring to Baili Er Lang (Baili Hongyi) when I said Bailang, I meant Bingzhu's side kick, Bailang- his fake-wine-selling friend who knows a lot about the waterways in Luoyang. 

OMG, I'm so sorry for getting it wrong :D Sometimes it's hard for me to navigate through Cdrama characters bcs I get the names wrong or mix them up in my head :lol:.

The guy you are referring to is indeed a pleasure to watch). 

I like Bailang too, although he is kind of like the magical part of the show because he appears and disappears just like that!:lol:

Many viewers compared Luoyang to LDIC. I haven't watch the latter so I wouldn't know which is better although I do view Luoyang as a guilty-pleasure drama. One basically has to believe in miracles when watching this drama. First, we have the super smart ErLang who is like a combination of McGyver/Leonardo Da Vinci/CSI etc. And a foodie too. No less smarter is GBZ (I keep remembering him as Guo Baokun tho...), who is like this extraordinary investigator with excellent fighting skills. WSY is a different kind of eye candy. Brilliant in fights but with equal amount of being a damsel in distress. Not to forget the very loud wife of ErLang (I like the actress, but this character is poorly written). It is the side characters that help balance out this overly smart group of people. Sides like BaiLang, Shen Fei (RIP) etc.

Given the quite fast pace of the drama, one doesn't have much time to idle on this, so that's good I suppose?

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

This week's episodes cannot come soon enough for me.

He is going to turn out to be more, I hope. I know the show has been peppering itself with red herrings, but this cannot be all that Master Chu amounts to? I cannot tell for sure. I must be dense or something.

I cannot seem to tell anything for sure. For all I know, Wu Zetian orchestrated the whole thing.

Aww. Even Wu Zetian treats Yibo kindly. The precious genius.

So...not

Spoiler

his sister

after all?

More Bai Lang, please. Bai Lang and his impishly effective self.

Who delivers each and every time. Even when the expert fighter in the room has failed. With his acrobatic agility. Not forgetting his encyclopedic knowledge of everything from geography to shop history.

And his humble abode. Examining his burnt pot. Embarrassing Gao about Yue.

Casually trying to blend into a signboard.

On 12/26/2021 at 10:35 AM, leo2020 said:

I wonder what's everyone's opinion on Bailang's wife. IMO sometimes the character is a bit annoying to say the least... 

The character seems to have changed beyond recognition. Gone are the what felt like incessant "Erlang, Erlang, Erlang". And the umpteen questions on what he is doing or where he is going. This is some character development. Poof, clingy nature shed.

• Like 1

And with ep 39 that's the end

Spoiler

of Siyue and GBZ's story((( Nooo...

Well, everything was too sweet in ep37... so I was wrong and she dies and he stays(.

Honestly,  somewhere deep in my heart I allowed myself to hope that may be this won't happen and all the main characters stay alive. But it seems like the production team decided that Bloody Romance and Goodbye My Princess should marry and have a baby, and name the baby Luoyang :tears:

And also, if it was another type of drama I'd assume may be Siyue is alive since they haven't shown her body...but seems that's not the case here as well.

I wonder if Luoyang's last episodes were edited and/or cut, I have a strong feeling the ending was a bit rushed with all that narrator's voice explaining the fate of the characters in just 3 minutes or so.

Overall, the story is beautiful and the drama itself - of the top quality in every aspect. Already have seen some posts rooting for season 2. If that would happen - I'm definitely in:).

Sadly, that was a bit of a letdown, to me at least.

It felt like they went for the easy and obvious villain after all. Who talked and talked and talked. And talked.

The reveal in episode 38 between the siblings seemed to last an eternity, and as if that was not enough, talked and talked again for what felt like another eternity during his confrontation with Gao (episode 39). And all with little to no action, unfortunately.

@leo2020 Same, it felt a bit rushed to me too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impoppies said:

Who talked and talked and talked. And talked.

Agreed, that was a bit annoying and boring, accompanied with

2 hours ago, impoppies said:

little to no action

and than that 

Spoiler

worthless idiot appeared on the roof (how would he get there with that crossbow in the first place with all that security measures:evillaugh:?!@!!@@!!#@) -  and practically stole the show:angry:!!!

I compare the ending with the first episode - there were soo many action scenes there and those fights were soo fast - and than all that " smart small talk" in the end :D

• Like 1

Sigh I'm with you guys, the show overall didn't live up the expectations from the first two episodes.

Still it wasn't entirely a Disney ending (which is good thing, even if they had 

Spoiler

sacrifice Siyue for it!  (Wail!)

and they're definitely setting up for a 2nd season with

Spoiler

Bingzhu still searching for his sister, and Erlang coming back to solve more mysteries

Bailang's last scene was the most satisfying... love him eating and eating and eating! :)

I still love Huang Xuan's acting and his character but I don't think I'm in for a 2nd episode unless the writing improves dramatically!

Thanks for all the chitchat, here's a wish for better dramas in 2022!

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 9:02 AM, Yitian_fan said:

On 12/26/2021 at 10:35 AM, leo2020 said:

I wonder about it as well). Since the Empress is a historical figure I've tried to read about her real story ,but there were too many names for me to manage and to associate with the drama characters))). So I've decided to just wait and see what happens))).

Prince Chu is the Empress' grandson, so he's most likely Li Longji, who definitely succeeds after her, and would have been an amazing emperor if he didn't live long enough, since the rebellion in his latter life changed course of history for not just Tang but rest of dynasties as well.

The Crown Prince featured here is likely Li Xian, Wu Zetian's third son. Li Longji's dad Li Dan was temporarily crown prince and emperor for short period of time too. By the way, Longest Day of Chang'an's emperor is Li Longji. 

• Wiggle 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Luoyang 风起洛阳

Soompi Forums Awards (Poll #2): The best streaming dramas, c-dramas, daily/weekend dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now you can also vote for your favorite 2021:

• Daily/weekend dramas
  • C-dramas
  • Streaming dramas (ie dramas that only appeared on streaming sites like Netflix)

milk-and-mocha-cute.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

Soompi Forums Awards (Poll #3): The Most Memorable Characters, Best Abs, and Worst Endings / Biggest Drama Disappointments of 2021

Please vote!

Now you can also vote for:

• the most memorable characters 2021
  • best abs 2021
  • worst drama endings / biggest drama disappointments of 2021

Season 4 Episode 3 GIF by The Office

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• 1 year later...

I just started watching this show.  Quite interesting. i'm addicted to it. 

Is anyone still watching this show? 

This show take place in a time of wu zetian and the famous dee ren jie. Anyone know got other similar shows or drama like this?

5 hours ago, ColdS said:

I just started watching this show.  Quite interesting. i'm addicted to it. 

Is anyone still watching this show? 

This show take place in a time of wu zetian and the famous dee ren jie. Anyone know got other similar shows or drama like this?

Hi! You might wanna try Strange Tales of Tang Dynasty).