[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Luoyang 风起洛阳

sugarplum892

So no one cares that Shen Fei is injured? Yue was all "are you injured" to Qi Niang while the poor dude was standing right there with a bloody gash in his arm.

What a sweet couple. I am enjoying them. For all his earlier protests, for all his quirks and idiosyncrasies about not knowing how to care for people and whatnot, I feel it is clear Erlang sees Qi Niang as his wife and cares for her as a wife, albeit in that matter-of-fact way of his.

I find myself intrigued by this Erlang character. I would like to see more of its development as the story progresses. Yibo's performance here, while not exactly animated given the way the character is written, is strangely compelling to me.

My favorite character thus far is still Bai Lang though. Most effective sidekick and intel field agent (the entire Lian Fang can't hold a candle to this single sole solitary master of intel-gathering).

Who would go to jail for you, literally. Who would, and could, then successfully leave the jail without any effort from or trouble to you. Even if you had completely forgotten about him.

With the best (ever so humble) abode that anyone and everyone from wanted mass murderers to royal aristocrats can waltz in anytime—apparently save for he himself, who has to sneak in from the window each and every time—to hold clandestine tête-à-têtes and covert operation meetings.

Master Chu should seriously consider recruiting the dude instead. Forget Gao.

Speaking of Gao. The trio. The friendship they share is one of the best parts of the show for me. The way Gao and Yue rushed to Erlang's rescue. And the friendship works for me whether it is the three together, or just Gao with Erlang, or Yue with Erlang.

Back to the show; I think I have one more episode to go. Laters.

Oh and I like how the show has been treating its villains, making me sympathetic towards them.

Spoiler

Yibo's uncle-in-law. That general. Gao's buddy.

I felt for them when they went down.

• Like 2

Rewatching that scene of Shen Fei pulling Yibo back from the incoming knife to his throat in episode 17. A close shave, that was.

Plus that little sad smile Gao gave Yibo. The former had no words to describe what he had been through in that period and Yibo did not press him. The tacit understanding and friendship between them.

Laters for real now.

• Like 1

She simply could not bring herself to kill or fight with him :(

Episode 20. The later part. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story. And the performance from them both. Particularly the actress.

Her first meeting with him. Funny yet...

The way they both burst into laughter. And her past. The poor woman.

Yue going to Yibo's rescue in episode 19 (or was it 18) and the ensuing fight. I enjoyed that whole scene. As well as her exasperation with him. He is like her reckless little brother, much in the same way she with her heedless impetuosity is to her own brother.

Qi Niang though, unfortunately. Were we supposed to find her cute? I'm afraid all I saw was a silly and clingy woman messing up well-laid plans.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, whiteybao said:

i’ll wait for at least 20 episodes to be released otherwise I cannot binge.

The time has come. Binge away :D

• Like 3

I'm liking this a whole lot as well- particularly Huang Xuan's performance (he's always been a reliable stand-out! Love his nuanced acting.)  And definitely liking the trio dynamics, all combinations of them, even the least developed Erlang-Siyue. Erlang and Bingzhu's characters definitely spark (I wonder if the original novel- if there is an original novel?- was faintly BL?), ak does Bingzhu and Siyue.  Speaking of SY, she rocks! I was skeptical of Victoria Song as an actress, and think indeed if we had someone like Zhou Xun, of course she'll rock more, but actually Victoria (and the script writers) have beat my expectations to make SY my 2nd fav of the series.  She's the most cleanly upright and clear-mindedly idealistic but also solidly capable character of the series and is unafraid to speak her mind to the Empress, while the politicians around her play shady games.

On the romances: I find one of the first scenes that BZ and SY are alone together (where Bingzhu follows Siyue and she holds a knife to his throat) to have the most UST... that was before there was any hint of romance, but something about how they shot that scene made it seem intimate, and I think is a good example of foreshadowing!

Sadly, I admit I find 7 niang annoying- nothing against the actress she's lovely and seems beautifully animated, but her character is clingy, disguised as a "never say die" attitude... Dear Scriptwriters, your audience lives in the 21st century- please no painfully clingy, doormat female characters!  I've gotten to the point I need to skip scenes she appears in!

Overall, I'm in this for the solid scripting, cool plot, good acting, good character development and incredible graphics, but some complaints are the above on 7 niang, plus places where they sacrifice some amount of realism for "coolness" (e.g., the jointing "steam punk" look of the secret service message retrieval system).

Did I mention I love SY? :) Hoping for more cool character and plot developments for her and that they keep away from making her "just" the love interest!

• Like 2

Some random thoughts so far :

The character for WSY is nicely written - righteous and daring to pursue what she has set her mind to. Alas, I feel that the actress may have been miscast? She looks too modern for portraying a Tang Dynasty person. Nevertheless, her acting and diction have improved since the earlier episodes. Qi Niang, on the other hand, has the right look; in fact, I feel that her maid has the perfect look for a Tang Dynasty maiden. It is well known that well-endowed women were favoured during this period … heh heh. Speaking of which, she looks a bit … ahem … too well-endowed to be a maid? The Liu household must treat their servants well :droolz:

The styling for the women’s costume looks like a bit like an Indian saree, with the over one shoulder sash. I suppose the styling team wanted to create a unique look. The necklaces the ladies wore were a bit jarring for me - always distracted me when I was trying to focus on the story. I like all the official’s uniforms though, both the male and female versions - very smart looking. 

I saw the making-of video - apparently, the sets were specially created for this drama - took them 90 days to build. Again, I marvel time and again over the sheer number of extras they hired for the street scenes - big budget indeed!

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:35 AM, omiki said:

The styling for the women’s costume looks like a bit like an Indian saree, with the over one shoulder sash. I suppose the styling team wanted to create a unique look. The necklaces the ladies wore were a bit jarring for me - always distracted me when I was trying to focus on the story. I like all the official’s uniforms though, both the male and female versions - very smart looking. 

Hi @omiki, They base the costume's designs on actual Cultural relics.

Wang Yi Bo's costumes are based on  Terracotta Relics:

132.jpg

Victoria's costumes are based on Ancient Murals:
143.jpg

Qi Niang's Wedding Headgear is based on Restored Cultural Relics:
Spoiler

This Wedding Headgear was based on the crown of the "Xiao Hou Guan"  unearthed from the tomb of Emperor Yang of the Sui Dynasty. 

141.jpg

• Like 3

Ep 21:

Spoiler

I'm saddened by  Yao Niang's death. She is a nice Lady.  But had a Tragic Life because of her useless father.

What to do? 

- If she did not kill Gao BZhu, the Divine will kill her

- Having killed the 7 Best Friends of GaoBZhu, there is no way GaoBZhu can forgive her

- She loves GaoBZhu. So the only Solution is to commit suicide

But the Aftermath of Yao Niang's Death will be even more terrifying:

The Divine will surely appoint another "16th Night".  And the New 16th Night will be bent on avenging Yao Niang's Death.  GaoBZ is in Danger.

GaoBZ must root out "The Divine" before they inflict more damage

Ep 22:

Spoiler

I find it Suspicious that each time Wu Youjie transfers out a Prinsoner, that Prisoner will be killed enroute.  Is WYJ stupid?  Or is he working in cohort with someone higher up?

Meanwhile, I'm beginning to suspect that in reality, there are No Copper Mine in Mount Lian at all.  It is just a Facade.   For all we know, they must be Digging a Secret Tunnel to Luoyang.  

This way they can easily launch a Surprise Attack on Empress Wu Ze Tian.

As the half-burnt Sheepskin Scroll says:

Dragons and Snakes conceal the Pathways ;

The Imperial Court and the people will conform to Mount Lian (Lianshan)"

They may be building a Pathway to Luoyang. Just a Wild Guess..... :lol:

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, hush puppy said:

Ep 21:

Hide contents

I'm saddened by  Yao Niang's death. She is a nice Lady.  But had a Tragic Life because of her useless father.

What to do? 

- If she did not kill Gao BZhu, the Divine will kill her

- Having killed the 7 Best Friends of GaoBZhu, there is no way GaoBZhu can forgive her

- She loves GaoBZhu. So the only Solution is to commit suicide

But the Aftermath of Yao Niang's Death will be even more terrifying:

The Divine will surely appoint another "16th Night".  And the New 16th Night will be bent on avenging Yao Niang's Death.  GaoBZ is in Danger.

GaoBZ must root out "The Divine" before they inflict more damage

Ep 22:

Hide contents

I find it Suspicious that each time Wu Youjie transfers out a Prinsoner, that Prisoner will be killed enroute.  Is WYJ stupid?  Or is he working in cohort with someone higher up?

Meanwhile, I'm beginning to suspect that in reality, there are No Copper Mine in Mount Lian at all.  It is just a Facade.   For all we know, they must be Digging a Secret Tunnel to Luoyang.  

This way they can easily launch a Surprise Attack on Empress Wu Ze Tian.

As the half-burnt Sheepskin Scroll says:

Dragons and Snakes conceal the Pathways ;

The Imperial Court and the people will conform to Mount Lian (Lianshan)"

They may be building a Pathway to Luoyang. Just a Wild Guess..... :lol:

Love your theory on what the sheepskin scroll says and how that links to the Copper mines, I'll throw in one more detail: The niter that Four Seasons is hoarding can be used for explosives... ;) 

I'm surprise that this Drama is not that Popular.  If not for the story.  At least for the Aesthetics. I'm so in awe of the Wealth and Grandeur of the Chinese Culture.

The first 18 episodes were good, fast-paced and exciting. The last few episodes have slowed down a bit. I'm waiting for it to pick up the pace again.

I'm sorry.  I'm still very disturbed by Victoria's performance.  Everybody else are doing fine : Huang Xuan, Wang Yibo and all the Supporting Casts. But whenever Victoria appears, she disrupts my flow of concentration.  (So I have to agree with  @omiki   Quote: "she is Alas, I feel that the actress may have been miscast?"

Hi  @yitiantulong 

1) You could be right about the "niter" being used to make  "Explosives". :P

2) As for Wu Siyue being "unafraid to speak her mind to the Empress, while the politicians around her play shady games."  (I guess that is because she is Empress Wu Zetian's niece and favourite. They have the same Surname.  So she and her brother are from Empress Wu Zetian's side of the Family.)

While the Opposite Camp belongs to Empress Wu's husbands: The first husband is Emperor Taizong (Li Shimin), who do not trust her because of the Prediction that she will come to power and change the Dynasty. Which she did. The Second Husband is Emperor  Gaozong (Li Zhi), successor to Emperor Taizong.

So this story is about the "Li's side of the Family" trying to Restore their Tang Dynasty.

But I suspect there is a Split within the Divine Organisation (Chunqiu Dao).  Otherwise they would not have tried to assasinate the Crown Prince Li Dun as he was returning to the Capital, 5 years ago.

Meanwhile Baili Hongyi (Wang YiBo) continues to provide us with some "Comic Reliefs". 

Spoiler

Qiniang's Mutton Soup tastes terrible.  But Baili Hongyi dares not complain.  Luckily her brother Liu Feng came forward to help by finishing up the entire Bowl of the soup.

Baili Hongyi is so "Cute" when he gives the Portrait he has drawn of Qiniang to her.  And then tells her to look at it later when she is back in her room. He is too shy

:hwaiting2:

And our Inspector Sherlock Holmes (Baili Hongyi) continues to uncover more clues: Xunwu Pearls,  Yuncui Temple houses the Rebels from the Divine, disguised as Tao Priests.

• Like 3

@hush puppy i've been entertaining myself with trailers alone. I dare not watch because I don't want to fall victim to the waiting game for new episodes. I saw the beef soup scene, LOL and amidst all the serious investigation, the wife punctuates the drama with her girly antics. The voice, the wide-eyed looks, the way she calls out to him, I believe only someone like that can melt Baili Hongyi's heart, such an overload of feminity.

• LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1

Another 2 eps (25 & 26)  of "Much Ado About Nothing" - the Trio are rushing around trying to solve the Puzzle.  They are still as confused and frustrated as we are :lol:

Whatever it is, what we have seen so far are only the Pawns and Chess-pieces.  We have no Inkling who the Master-Mind is.

But one thing is for sure.  There are a lot of Missing Persons in this Drama:

1) Gao Bingzhu - Missing younger sister 

2) Baili Hongyi  - Missing older brother

3) Liu Ran         - Missing father and younger brother are back.

4) Liu Feng       - Missing Lover, Chun He is back

(Have I miss out anyone else ?? :()

Baili Hongyi has the Brains

Gao Bingzhu has the Brawns

Wu Siyue has the Authority

Spoiler

In the last episode, Baili Hongyi discover that the Pearls has 4 major uses:

- Medicine, Ice, Fire and Alchemy

Ep 26:

Baili Hongyi, is studying the Taoist Script or Codes. GaoBZ and WSYue manage to secure these Codes from the temple.  And as usual, this Genius is close to discovering that the Xuanwu Pearls are for making Gunpowder - not Medicine or  Immortality Elixir.  Not Poison.

The Crown Prince Lu Du is very silly.  No wonder Empress Wu Zetian once, sent him away.  In trying to please the Empress, he  wants to make an Elixir of Immortality for her.  But got used by the Divine instead. 

I am not a Fan of any of the 3 Leads. Neither am I an Anti.  So my opinions about them are from a neutral point of view. 

But I like Wang Yibo's performance so far. Very natural. In Ep 26 he is able to show his Tenderness towards Qiniang as well as the Peculiarity of a Genius at work.

Songyi's Qiniang may be too "Clingy" and irritating.  But her Acting is on point.  Her character-role is only 18years old.  And what I can see and feel from her acting is that she "adores" Baili Hongyi.  She will do anything for him, help him.  And she does help him in many ways: to explore Yuncui temple; to seek her father's opinions on the Elixir of Immortality, ......  

As for Huang Xuan, he portrays a complex and contradictory character with natural and layered acting skills.  His kind and fierce, emotional and decisive character conflicts are full of Highlights.  While immersing us in the atmosphere of Gao Bingzhu's sadness and tears, he pays special attention to and expects his story, leaving a deep impression of him on us.

They are each given a Character-Role to interprete and bring to Life.  

The  Hall Marks of a Real Actor (Actress inclusive), is the ability to lead us into their Emotional World - through their Acting Skills. 

• Like 1

Oh dude. "Yes, I will remember you." How hard is that?

I am enjoying Yue and Yibo working together. They make a good team.

The brother-in-law with his temper tantrum going at him and going on and on and Yibo? "You were there all these years. There's this Kang A and that Kang B, would you happen to have heard of them?" Laser focus. Laser. Not to mention the smartest character in the show thus far.

Bai Lang my man. Ever the lovable rascal.

Ugly is now jinxed.

So many episodes, so little time. Laters.

I was all "aww" and then I saw the finished portrait...

Not quite the calibre I was expecting.

She is so smitten. Perhaps a bit too smitten. I can see why though, for in his own way he is a sweet husband.

The soup part was rather funny, and sweet.

So many candles. Too many candles. With all that wood. Arson seems an easier alternative if one would like to do away with Erlang or Gao or even Lian Fang. Any faceless and nameless servant or some such could have oops'd tipped over a candle. Forget emotional assassins dressed in grim reaper garb toting distinctive weapons fighting and flopping at seemingly every turn.

Later.

Ah, more Bailang. What a treat. Create a diversion? You got it. Stall them? You got it. Give chase? You got it. Dude succeeds.

And his humble abode. Where guests are apparently free to hang and chill even when he is not there. Make yourselves at home, debrief your confederates, burn a pot.

Plus that "if any harm ever came to you, HE..." Heh.

The trio working together again (albeit only ever so briefly) is always welcome to me as well.

So...Chun Qiu Palace. Named after their with-a-name-most-foul-thou-shalt-not-ever-utter organization.

With a lieutenant named Chun and the other named Qiu.

With their subversive mission written down on a scroll. With said scroll kept by a minion. A not-so-bright minion.

I am confused. Forced to go underground. Clandestine. Cloak-and-dagger. They must mean something else entirely in the world of this show.

Hah I knew it would be that dish they had at Bailang's.

I think I have one more episode to catch up on, or half.

Ok, just managed to finish all the episoded that were aired, oufffchh :crazymad:Unfortunately had no time last week for any drama at all (had enought "drama" at work, buried under the amount of it :D). So on weekend just picked up at ep 4 and went all the way to ep28 :dead:. So, these may be just my second proper feedback.

I should say the best part of the show for me so far are Victoria Song and Huang Xuan's characters and their interactions along the way. I ]'m totally in for any Huang Xuan's piece of work, but before the drama went live I had a lot of doubts re Victoria's ability to act at such a high level, mostly based on her previous dramas I've watched. However from the very first episode she just blown me away. I don't know if it's the character itself, the script, the directing,or the combination of that all - she is  amazing at every aspect here. The most impressing scene so far

Spoiler

was when she hugged Gao Bingzhu after saving him out of that poisonous building (ep27 if I'm not mistaken). I love it that the actress not just carried on with some heavenly face expression or happy puppy expression, she went for that normal human emotions - pain and relief grimace - not afraid to show herself like any normal person would - not able to control the emotions, looking almost ugly, with all that wrinkles and tears all over her face. And that was the beauty of the moment:wub:

• Blob 1

Re the last 2 episodes

Spoiler

OMG, the scene with Gao Bingzhu leaving and helpless Siyue crying her eyes out was so powerful, accompanied with that beautiful music :tears:. Normally in films he would turn around at least to look at her like in 99 times out of 100.  The way they shot it here,him leaving and not turning around, just dropping those words re the promise, added so much drama to the whole scene. I was literally crying with Siyue as well :bawling:.

And after today we have only 9 episodes left :tears:. I can't believe it is already coming to an end...

I wonder now what may be the ending to all this and our 3 leads. Any suggestions? HE, SE, open ending?