[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行

sugarplum892

Hi there ...

I am new to this forum and would like to share my joy watching this series. Honestly speaking, I am leaving Luo Yang and Who is the Murderer on the shelf for this one as it's intrique me more. 

I love the plot, the relationship between ZFN and Jiang Ni (and the Old Huang), it's so funny to see his relationship with his father (and his sister), while in the other hand Crystal Zhang costume is like Lin Ching Hsia in the "Ashes of Time".

And of course, I hate that stupid brainless sword dancer who keep bugging Jiang Ni to escape from the entourage, why dont just she run away alone (and then been captured by a group of bandit #evil laugh#)

• Like 2

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行
On 12/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Yulia_Tjen said:

Hi there ...

I am new to this forum and would like to share my joy watching this series.

Hey there, I am new too and on this thread :)

I couldn't wait till the end of the week and watched Ep3.

I thought this ep was a bit slow (?) - not slow paced that it was boring - just not much happened it seemed - they went to the brothel and then next day at the house again. This was supposed to last me till the end of the week...ahhh 45 mins went so fast.

Hmm, I am not sure why they spent time/energy prepping a courtesan who doesn't know martial arts for the mission?!? That was an obvious trap (at least if she knew martial arts, there could have been a better chance of success). Maybe the writers just wanted to end up giving a friend/confidante to Jiang Ni. And.. from comments here, it seems cat maiden is not much liked ...hee

Hah, how Hong Shu (maid in red) doesn't even bat an eyelash when a new pretty maiden is brought into the household by the prince. New quarters for the pretty lady, right this way...

And Qing Niao (other maid), when she was introduced last ep, she was all quite and lil sad, and I thought maybe she really didn't want to be there (perhaps a tale like Jiang Ni), but when she stood in front of XFN when General Chen approached (with a head in bag) - ah, so she is a loyal maid - I'm more intrigued to know what her backstory.

Poor Chubby General - I had mistaken his intentions.

Spoiler

Old Huang's words: 'From now on, I just want to be the old Huang by the prince's side'... my selfish heart want that too ...always forever....he is family ...(boo hoo..no need to tell me more ...I already read spoilers)

Edited by lilviolet
better include spoiler tag for some part
  • Like 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Dominique Lola said:

Urgh it's going to be one episode a day from now on!!! Noooooo

ya.. i was so disappointed. yesterday night I kept refreshing and was wondering why only 1 episode was aired. I assumed 2 episodes will be released daily ! now i know better !!

I should have taken my time to watch the show instead of marathoning...

This show has similar vibes to Joy of Life.. rather interesting.. at the end of every episode, the story teller will summarise and explain

On 12/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, Dominique Lola said:

Urgh it's going to be one episode a day from now on!!! Noooooo

I'm sad too, even if it means we get to see them a little bit longer...

Since it says season 1 for the 38eps, there'll probably be more seasons? 

17 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm sad too, even if it means we get to see them a little bit longer...

@MidnightRain said the original novel had 4 million+ characters, for comparison, EverNight and Joy of Life had 3million+ characters. the Return of the Condor Heroes = 979k characters only.

While I really liked his actress in Truth or Dare, the FL's character is really really annoying now. I swear she's only there for plot convienience. They keep making her out to be this huge tsundere but she's so pointless to the traveling group, I'd rather they focus on other female characters. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 2:31 AM, MidnightRain said:

The pacing of the story is slow, and a lot of the fault lies with the director. He gave an interview earlier saying that the audiences nowadays are so hasty, so he purposely slowed down the pace of the drama's first episode in order to help the audience cultivate patience to truly understand the ~masterpiece that they're watching. And he went super slo-mo...

Well, it's his choice and opinion, and we ,the audience,  can decide for ourselves if we like it or not:D. I personally have a strong feeling the story is a bit slow and, how to put it,... stretched (?)- for commercial reasons - to have more episodes. I'm OK with that since it's part of the business, and not like stretched to say 85 episodes).

On 12/17/2021 at 6:20 AM, Dominique Lola said:

Crystal Zhang's scenes

So far absolutely beautiful :heart:.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:44 AM, lilviolet said:

ZRY did not disappoint

I've seen just 2 episodes but should agree- he seems to be very natural playing Xu Feng Nian in terms of acting. The only complaint I have so far is his appearance- being too slim). Seems like he lost a lot of weight of what?... 

((( 

On 12/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, Dominique Lola said:

While I really liked his actress in Truth or Dare, the FL's character is really really annoying now. I swear she's only there for plot convienience. They keep making her out to be this huge tsundere but she's so pointless to the traveling group, I'd rather they focus on other female characters. 

Agree that the FL is annoying and not as pretty as the other supporting characters. Casting seems to be a fail for the FL as she is supposed to be stunningly beautiful in the novel. But the FL only knows how to pout and act cute (but fail badly at the cute part). 

On 12/26/2021 at 10:58 AM, leo2020 said:

I've seen just 2 episodes but should agree- he seems to be very natural playing Xu Feng Nian in terms of acting. The only complaint I have so far is his appearance- being too slim). Seems like he lost a lot of weight of what?... 

((( 

Read that he lost about 5 kg for the role as he thought that it suit the role as the heir/scion (?) better. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, Yulia_Tjen said:

... while in the other hand Crystal Zhang costume is like Lin Ching Hsia in the "Ashes of Time".

I thought she reminded me of the actress Cheung Man. Who we haven't seen on screen for many many years.

I do agree that the FL is somewhat a miscast. I was expecting a chemistry akin to ZRY/LQ in JoL, but I don't see that here. In fact even ZRY seemed a little stiff with her, unlike how easy and smooth he was with LQ. The novel hasn't been translated and even if it is, I probably won't be reading it. But I imagine that she is supposed to be smart, naughty, a bit like Huang Rong (Condor Heroes) but for now she's just pouty...

• Like 1

Okay ... episode 15 and on is so darn boring now.

The problem with this show is that it treats its audience like children. They explain EVERYTHING to us. Oh how smart XFN is, oh how his actions are calculated. Yeah yeah we get it. It's so tiring after the first time. They even use other characters as a pretext of explaining. 

For example, the Jiangnan Prince in Qingzhou explaining things to his brash son about the ploys, the steps, the traps. That was clearly for us to watch lol. 

On 12/23/2021 at 11:25 PM, MayanEcho said:

I was sad to see Season 1 stamped on the official posters because not only that the story wasn't going to be complete, but we would had to wait another probably long while for more. Already its 2 years for Joy2 to even start its filming (news is, its next year, hopefully early next year, 2 and 3 filming back-to-back).

On 12/26/2021 at 1:58 PM, leo2020 said:

he seems to be very natural playing Xu Feng Nian in terms of acting The only complaint I have so far is his appearance- being too slim). Seems like he lost a lot of weight of what?... 

As Adidaem said, yeah he especially lost weight for the role. I only became a fan this year of ZRY, but when watching through all the past shows he done, can really tell the difference in real life. I had a little pang of the heart of how thin he'd become compared to pre filming of SSS ...I just wanted him to eat more. He is bit less thinner now than during filming and just post Dec- Feb period but dang, wished he would gain some more weight back. Our Fan Xian doesn't have to be as slim as Xu Feng Nian.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:03 PM, dzareth said:

I do agree that the FL is somewhat a miscast.

The novel hasn't been translated and even if it is, I probably won't be reading it. But I imagine that she is supposed to be smart, naughty, a bit like Huang Rong (Condor Heroes) but for now she's just pouty

Apparently in the novel she is supposed to be a 'beauty that can stun a city, stun a country' (sorry for my poor attempt to translate this phrase). But I don't care for that as much, as adaptions to series do change. My concern (too) is that I am not 'feeling' she is 'the one'. Although her screen time tells you otherwise (Nan Gong Pu Ye is just stuck reading books in the pavilion), I think her character ( or is it really the portrayal?)  needs something a bit more to convince me that I want them together at the end. Right now, I am just happy watching XFN story and adventure without the big romance line.

On 12/22/2021 at 8:24 PM, taekwang said:

I should have taken my time to watch the show instead of marathoning...

That is how I'm taking it, stop and wait, then binge a few eps and stop. Its killing me a bit though...

So, I've done E4 to E10.

Wow, Lord Xu Xiao is the ultimate chessmaster (smarts, cunningness and devious). While  many others are smart, some are planning, some are scheming, some are thinking, but Lord Xu is really ten steps ahead and then some more. I guess thats where XFN gets his intelligence from.
And for all Xu Xiao's deviousness and ruthless, he is one sentimental guy. He changed the rites of XFN's crowning ceremony and doesn't care about praying to the gods and ancestors, so they can pray in front of XFN's mum's tomb.

Spoiler

Poor prince had to send his brother away, and then the news of Huang's death.

'Nine Sword Huang became a legend, but my old Huang is gone.'

Heartbroken that they killed off Huang :(

Some funny moments:

-Where XFN asks Lin scholar in the boat 'Aren't you afraid she is also a highly skilled martial artist?' And Jiang Ni stands up, trying to pretend she could be; with her weakling curled fist...lol nope.
- Prince goes talk to Huang, asking if he knew martial arts. Their exchange was so cute. And how the prince was dumdfounded on how good Huang was. All of their scenes are great.

- When the Wang Long Shan sect comes looking for the 2nd prince. The hilarious exchange how the prince decides his plan of attack. 'Distract and attack from behind.' 'He is a celestial master.' 'Who cares, whoever targets my brother I won't forgive.' 'What about his entourage?' 'If we put a blade to his throat, who will dare.' 'Such a big commotion.' 'Who cares, we'll just blame it on Wu Dang' ...that smile and then conviction, ZRY, you crack me up...!

3 hours ago, Dominique Lola said:

Okay ... episode 15 and on is so darn boring now

Hopefully it picks up for you in the next one 

Edited by lilviolet
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:03 PM, dzareth said:

I thought she reminded me of the actress Cheung Man. Who we haven't seen on screen for many many years.

I do agree that the FL is somewhat a miscast. I was expecting a chemistry akin to ZRY/LQ in JoL, but I don't see that here. In fact even ZRY seemed a little stiff with her, unlike how easy and smooth he was with LQ. The novel hasn't been translated and even if it is, I probably won't be reading it. But I imagine that she is supposed to be smart, naughty, a bit like Huang Rong (Condor Heroes) but for now she's just pouty...

I'm reading the novel and Jiang Ni is not like Huang Rong. In the novel, she seems to genuinely hate the Xu family, but since she cannot kill Xu Xiao, she takes it out on Xu Fengnian and is serious in her attempts to kill him. Even though she is like his maid, she is always cold towards him and never lifts a finger to help him, and he indulges her, teases and mocks her. Given their respective backgrounds, their relationship is more complicated, but the drama turned them into a more cutesy bickering pair.

Also, Xu Fengnian has multiple women in the novel, so Jiang Ni is not the only one. But it seems in the drama she has been billed as the FL.

• Like 1

Hello there,

I just started this serie yesterday and from ep 1-8, my eyes were stuck on the screen the whole time, the plot was SOOOO good and the main and support actors are SOO good in their crafts! I really love how clever the main character is and the actor's ways of expressing the wits and the quick thinking had me go nuts! Totally loved it. A few of my favourite characters are also the white fox and qiao ning? the knight maid. They are really badass and I can't to see more of them. White fox's aura is insane, i love her acting and her voice too!

From ep 9-10 though, the story slowed down a lot, and the fun that kept me going from the first episodes kind of dissipated a bit. I also agree with some of the previous posts: female lead is so annoying! I don't like her acting at all and don't understand what's the character she's trying to convey. Is the female lead supposed to be clever? Gutsy? Witty? Cute? I think the actress misread the character while acting, cause it is ambiguous and expressed none of the above. I also don't get the essence of the character and what a waste of a chemistry with male lead! I hope either she gets better with the plot, or the plot should push for other female characters to be the center of the story with male lead. 

For now, I will still be tuning in for the next episodes. Hopefully it will keep its plot FAR from the female lead and close from the male lead and his quest to his destiny.

5 hours ago, Aziraphale said:

I'm reading the novel and Jiang Ni is not like Huang Rong. In the novel, she seems to genuinely hate the Xu family, but since she cannot kill Xu Xiao, she takes it out on Xu Fengnian and is serious in her attempts to kill him.

That's why I imagine her like Huang Rong. The Huang Rong in front of Yang Kang and Ouyang Ke, not the one in front of Guo Jin.

18 hours ago, Dominique Lola said:

For example, the Jiangnan Prince in Qingzhou explaining things to his brash son about the ploys, the steps, the traps. That was clearly for us to watch lol. 

Sometimes the explanation is appreciated because Xi Xiao's plan is way too many steps in front. I wouldn't have guessed it. Especially when there is a multiple-pronged strategy going on in order to stay alive and not courting additional danger. But they could've plan the reveal better less they become repetitive.

22 hours ago, lilviolet said:

I was sad to see Season 1 stamped on the official posters because not only that the story wasn't going to be complete, but we would had to wait another probably long while for more. Already its 2 years for Joy2 to even start its filming (news is, its next year, hopefully early next year, 2 and 3 filming back-to-back).

I am kind of fine waiting next season, due to the limit of max 40 episodes for dramas. I'd rather have that, than chop a lot of the original story to squeeze into one season.

Still happily following the drama, which now turned daily, LOL! 

As of Ep24:

Spoiler

There are entities and factions who are willing to cause chaos and trouble, because they are vying for the throne.

As of the latest episode aired, there are two more or less confirmed: The illegitimate prince that the head eunuch of the royal family in the capital wants to prop up. Yes, that uh, sorry, toad-like "academy mate" of XFN's second sister. That jerk who wanted to murder XFN, who addresses him "brother-in-law" even if he's not married to that sister. LMAO when he also had an unpleasant encounter with the youngest brother and his new master.

Second who wants the throne: the Lord of Qing Zhou.

For whatever faults this XFN has, he's truly caring for his siblings, and the people loyal to him. Including Jiang Ni. This "maid" is prickly with XFN, but she actually cares for him more than she would admit to herself.

6 hours ago, dzareth said:

That's why I imagine her like Huang Rong. The Huang Rong in front of Yang Kang and Ouyang Ke, not the one in front of Guo Jin.

Sorry, they are very different, and it's not just this "hate" aspect, there are any number of other factors. Also, neither Yang Kang nor Ouyang Ke is a potential love interest for Huang Rong, but Xu Fengnian is to Jiang Ni and as I've said, their respective backgrounds complicate their relationship. And Jiang Ni doesn't really (as of now) do any sort of strategising the way Huang Rong does.

13 hours ago, Aziraphale said:

I'm reading the novel and Jiang Ni is not like Huang Rong. In the novel, she seems to genuinely hate the Xu family, but since she cannot kill Xu Xiao, she takes it out on Xu Fengnian and is serious in her attempts to kill him. Even though she is like his maid, she is always cold towards him and never lifts a finger to help him, and he indulges her, teases and mocks her. Given their respective backgrounds, their relationship is more complicated, but the drama turned them into a more cutesy bickering pair.

Also, Xu Fengnian has multiple women in the novel, so Jiang Ni is not the only one. But it seems in the drama she has been billed as the FL.

thanks for the info.
i think that the drama version of Jiang Ni is more logic than the novel, Xu Fengnian didnt know martial arts, it's not hard for Jiang ni to kill him as a maid.

the story  with multiple women revised is understandable, the producer want to play safe, if the show didnt pass the censorship by chinese regulation (SARFT), then its fate has a chance to be like a second yanxi palace. just think, how many chinese dramas where MC had multiple women?

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/china-to-clamp-down-on-magic-demons-historical-taboos-in-tv-dramas-06192018115509.html