[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行

sugarplum892

3 hours ago, a_tumiwa said:

thanks for the info.
i think that the drama version of Jiang Ni is more logic than the novel, Xu Fengnian didnt know martial arts, it's not hard for Jiang ni to kill him as a maid.

Xu Fengnian isn't stupid, and Jiang Ni is not some highly skilled person either. The reason why Jiang Ni hasn't been able to kill him is because he sees through her attempts and indulges her. She gets away with all this because he lets her. As a princess from a fallen kingdom, she is literally nobody and Xu Xiao could have killed her years ago but he didn't. Xu Fengnian did not have to put up with her multiple assassination attempts and could have ordered her killed the first time she tried it, but he doesn't, and lets her try again and again, and even teases and mocks her when she fails. However, if someone else bullies her, he will defend her.

In the novel this is quite telling in the segment where Princess Suizhu wrecks Jiang Ni's vegetable patch at Wudang, and Xu Fengnian takes on both the princess' bodyguards in his defence of Jiang Ni. Hong Xixiang says Xu Fengnian is a good person for doing that, but Xu Fengnian says instead: "She's my maid, if I want to hit, scold, take liberties with her, that is my right. Who is anyone else to bully her? If they slap her, isn't that the same as giving me a box on the ear?"

The drama doesn't show all this depth because it diluted the intensity of their relationship and made her seem like some childish girl who wants to kill Xu Fengnian for fun (her "excuse" that she's doing it to get him used to when they have to part or whatever is just nonsense and doesn't make sense). They bicker like sweet young lovers in the drama and she is shown to secretly care for him and he her, but in the novel, she hates him with a passion and never lifts a finger to help him while he doesn't seem to take her seriously. So when he actually sticks up for her, it makes a difference.

@Aziraphale, in the books though, does JN have the most scenes with XFN or is/are there others in the harem that appears to be XFN's number 1 girl? Do you think the production team made a good choice to adapt JN as the FL or do you feel there are others that is more deserving (due to a more interesting background for instance)?

6 hours ago, dzareth said:

@Aziraphale, in the books though, does JN have the most scenes with XFN or is/are there others in the harem that appears to be XFN's number 1 girl? Do you think the production team made a good choice to adapt JN as the FL or do you feel there are others that is more deserving (due to a more interesting background for instance)?

Hmm, this is hard to say as the original novel is massive and there are many characters. I haven't gotten very far in the novel yet, but for sure there will be multiple women and I don't think there's one clear FL whom Xu Fengnian loves above all. They appear at various stages in his life and help him through different circumstances. In the end,

Spoiler

Xu Fengnian marries quite a few of them.

The decision to pick Jiang Ni is probably because she has been with Xu Fengnian for quite a long time (they sort of grew up together-ish), is kind of like a "constant" in his life (for now) and does go with him on some of his travels. In contrast, in the novel, Nangong Puye disappears into the Listening Tides Pavilion to read martial arts manuals very early on and does not feature for quite a while.

Spoiler

Novel:
"徐凤年人间身份是北凉王世子,以纨绔形象著称于世,实则胸藏沟壑,腹有良谋。陆丞燕,青州女子,是徐凤年的正妃,王初冬,徐凤年的侧妃,地位可能不如陆丞燕高,但是她是个才女呀!"

i didnt see a woman name Lu Chengyan in Qingzhou event, do the film producer skip this character?

On 12/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, dzareth said:

But I imagine that she is supposed to be smart, naughty, a bit like Huang Rong (Condor Heroes) but for now she's just pouty...

Not like Huang Rong. Is like a “cool” beauty. FL really badly miscasted for the role.  

Some of the Chinese articles described FL as looking more like a maid than a princess (I agree!). A few of the ladies casting that audiences approved of includes: Nangong Puye (Crystal Zhang), Qing Niao, Shu Xiu, 2nd sister. The wangfei (Pei Nan Wei?) is also supposed to be stunningly beautiful in the book (and badly miscasted). Others apparently don’t have the voluptuous figures described in the book (Hong Shu and the cat lady) and also bashed for not looking the role. 

Read another article that said that originally the sister from Joy of Life was supposed to be the FL. Not sure if true but I think she suits the character description better anyway:

spacer.png

• Like 2

At first I thought I would be annoyed and hate Jiang Ni character but I actually quite like her and do not really have an issue with her. I do agree she is not an outstanding beauty but I do not think all actors and actresses need to be outstandingly beautiful to be the main leads (or I might be more tolerant as I have not read the novel).

So far I am enjoying the series and like all the characters. I do think people would enjoy this series more if no comparisons were made to JoL.

I do not let other sites ratings such as Douban sway me but I am curious to know how this series is doing in China because I imagine the reception received will determine whether there will be a season 2 or not.

• Like 2

One of the reasons I've been watching the drama is actually Teresa Li, the Jiang Ni actress. Earlier this year, I've seen the HS drama she headlined 5 years ago as a 16 year old. Her co-cast members were much older than her, but only she, and the one whose role is her stepbrother, were so into their characters. In that drama, obscure as it was, she had the acting chops as a bullied teenager, to that overbearing sister and classmate, and then as a leader with innate sovereign aura.

I agree that though pretty (very much so when she's smiling), she's not the mesmerising type of beauty. In SSS, she's pouting and she does look like a servant. She's like a younger, archenemy sibling to XFN. However, my view is it's her present identity to look and act that way, despite her being an actual princess. Zhang Roungyun also didn't look like a lead, until he was back from being a beggar like traveler to being his highness.

I like it a lot that the cast for the characters look like normal people. :lol: 

I haven't read the novel, and thus I'm watching the story unfold as the scriptwriters and the director envisioned. At ep26 a new character has been introduced, who recognizes Jiang Ni as his princess. This might be the catalyst to start the transformation of Jiang Ni in the drama. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adidaem said:

Not like Huang Rong. Is like a “cool” beauty. FL really badly miscasted for the role.  

Some of the Chinese articles described FL as looking more like a maid than a princess (I agree!). A few of the ladies casting that audiences approved of includes: Nangong Puye (Crystal Zhang), Qing Niao, Shu Xiu, 2nd sister. The wangfei (Pei Nan Wei?) is also supposed to be stunningly beautiful in the book (and badly miscasted). Others apparently don’t have the voluptuous figures described in the book (Hong Shu and the cat lady) and also bashed for not looking the role. 

Read another article that said that originally the sister from Joy of Life was supposed to be the FL. Not sure if true but I think she suits the character description better anyway:

spacer.png

Song Yi? Wrong vibe for Jiang Ni.

Zhang Tian'ai might pass for Nangong Puye, but the character talks way too much. The actress for Qing Niao is okay. The actress for the cat lady is truly abysmal.

Li Gengxi's acting is not nuanced enough, and she also looks like Zhang Ruoyun's kid sister, given they are 12 years apart in real life and look it.

On 12/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, MayanEcho said:

I am kind of fine waiting next season, due to the limit of max 40 episodes for dramas. I'd rather have that, than chop a lot of the original story to squeeze into one season.

Ah, true, squeezing is no good. I have just been used to seeing asian dramas, especially since many of the past /older adaptions of Wu xia novels like from Jin Yong gets one complete series so that was my expectations. But yeah saw SSS has quite alot of volumes.

Is the cap at 40 episodes ? Bc saw that Novoland Pearl Eclipse has about 48 ep. I recall reading somewhere that it was recent limit by gov on longer drama episodes but I forgot the details. I've really only started getting into Cdramas last few years b/c the length used to scared me a bit.

4 hours ago, a_tumiwa said:

OMG wang xianzhi is not the strongest.

if Cao Changqing is rank 3, Wang Xianzhi rank 2, so who is rank 1?

...maybe secretly it's....Hong Xi Xiang... :P :D lol ..or they're holding spot for him..jk jk

I'm not sure what's up with his oath/story. All the talks of him wanting to be World's No.1, and saying he must descend the mountain eventually (so he knows he must end up as No.1) but he has not begun his martial arts training nor he is contemplating starting yet...sooooo?? ...Sorry I am behind in the series so if he has succeeded/started training in later eps, bear with my confusion...:wacko: 

@Aziraphale Thanks for some insight/ details about the novel. 

Happy New Year everyone!

On 12/31/2021 at 2:14 PM, lilviolet said:

Is the cap at 40 episodes ? Bc saw that Novoland Pearl Eclipse has about 48 ep. I recall reading somewhere that it was recent limit by gov on longer drama episodes but I forgot the details. I've really only started getting into Cdramas last few years b/c the length used to scared me a bit.

If I remember correctly, the limit started sometime in late 2020 or early 2021. Presumably, dramas that are filmed after the rule was implemented would have to stick to 40eps and below. And maybe there are dramas that are exceptions to the rule.

Hehe, number of episodes I don't mind so much, but the length of time per episode will. Unless it's a movie I'm watching, 45min is my attention span's limit.

Ep27

Spoiler

Jiang Ni is leaving, to be West Chu Princess again. XFN was objecting, even saying she's his. LOL on that as it's so easy for those who don't know well their dynamics to assume the wrong thing between them, also sad cos obviously XFN likes her by his side. Then the compromise that if it's her own will to be back, she can go. 

In this ep, Jiang Ni explains her prickly behaviour to XFN to Cao Changqing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Hide contents

Jiang Ni is leaving, to be West Chu Princess again. XFN was objecting, even saying she's his. LOL on that as it's so easy for those who don't know we'll their dynamics to assume the wrong thing between them, also sad cos obviously XFN likes her by his side. Then the compromise that if it's her own will to be back, she can go. 

In this ep, Jiang Ni explains her prickly behaviour to XFN to Cao Changqing.

Spoiler

that episode told us that West Chu people hide in West Shu , wasnt west shu also destroyed by beiliang army? (episode 1 - intro):confused:

@a_tumiwa

Spoiler

I'll have to go back to 1st ep again. Hehe.

My thinking though is that even if wars destroy, Xu Xiao's style is more on subduing those he conquers. He doesn't kill unnecessarily, and the damages he inflict make him feared, but not so much that there's no chance for the people to recover or pick up their lives again.

• Like 1

I think I realized what my problem with Jiang Ni is. It's the actress' acting. Her character portrayal lacks what all the other females have in that era/time period. There's a lack of grace and elegance in her posture and in her speech. Even maids have that distinct bearing. Maids of XFN, the big sister's maid, women of lower class positions during that time still had that sort of graceful movements. But Jiang Ni's speech is so modern and brash. Her movements are so jerky and not smooth. It's very jarring to see how different her acting is from other females in the drama. Very out of place.

• Like 3

@Aziraphale Could I ask if the novel (not sure if I missed it in the drama) mentioned how old Xu Feng Nian is? He had his crowning ceremony- is that the significance, is that 18 or 21?

I'm done with E11 to E15.
Ahahahaha. The father/son exchange at the inn was funny.
'Why are you hiding here? Is the house haunted by ghosts?'
'I wish it were. Your second sister has returned home.'

Knees buckle. 'I am going back to Wu Dang for a few days.'

Janice Man makes a fierce second sister. How did she get the chess piece, did she return and found one fallen in the crack of the ground?

After his big decision, yah, Xu Feng Nian gets to go on another Jiang hu adventure.

I like his entourage; Mysterious old guy - As long there's a high powerful master by prince's side, everyone is a bonus. (lol Xu Xiao collects high ranking martial artists like XFN collects maids...)
My fave maid, Qing Niao. Knowledgable Grandpa Wei (who I almost forgot is also a martial artist, as he is always sleeping). General Ling E'Mei who is as straight laced as they come.
I also like the addition of crafty Shu Xiu, she has street smarts and as long as she is loyal, she'll be useful. And ah...this Lu Quan Tang - so intently burdened and has a flaming sword. 

Ok, except the cat dancer lady, whom really seems waste of space (an extra carriage and extra food for her cat too...hmmm, a perfect good space for another more interesting swordsman/swordswoman). Even though Jiang Ni's presence seems to be useless now as well but I do think Xu Xiao has a plan, and her (former) title will serve some future use. And also, who else will banter cutesy with the prince... cue oh-so hardlife of a FL

Liu Duan Duan appears. His character surname is Zhao...hmm, same as the royal family...? He is happy to romance Xu Second Sister and stir up some chaos as well.

Looking forward to binging the next 5 -10 or so since the latest is up to e28

Edited by lilviolet
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, lilviolet said:

@Aziraphale Could I ask if the novel (not sure if I missed it in the drama) mentioned how old Xu Feng Nian is? He had his crowning ceremony- is that the significance, is that 18 or 21?

The "crowning" ceremony (in Chinese “及冠”之礼) is a coming of age ceremony for a boy when he turns 20, to signify he is now an adult and may now receive a "courtesy name" (字 or 表字), and is ready for greater responsibilities.

After the ceremony, Xu Fengnian spent a year at Wudang training. So when he sees his second sister again during the short visit, he would be 21 years old.

Oh my, plenty of funny moments for eps 28 and 29. 

Xu Xiao is so funny "playing" the officials in the capital, until he got what he wanted: 

Spoiler

XFN inherits the mantle of Northern Liyang.

Only Xu Xiao can tell that he'd rather sleep some more when the monarch finally agreed to see him, hahaha! 

We also see a few more new characters, and a "new" Jiang Ni.

Spoiler

She travels with XFN again. To collect more money, LOL! Now she's tag team with God of Sword, egging him to charge XFN whenever he asks him some help, hahaha! 

Aww, there's a reunion too with the brothers! So heart-warming to see, especially when XFN was measuring the height of Huangmang'er to his.

There are more players revealed now by Ep29. They either want to kill XFN, or want to replace the Emperor. One has a saviour complex, another wants to be the shadow Emperor. 

Jiang Ni is the FL cos she's XFN's fav in the book. I don't think Li Gengxi is good casting choice largely cos she looks like a little sister standing next to ZRY. Her character feels like she came from a fluff romcom historical, which is a little off.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:45 PM, Jess1 said:

I do not let other sites ratings such as Douban sway me but I am curious to know how this series is doing in China because I imagine the reception received will determine whether there will be a season 2 or not.

Despite Chinese netizens slamming it left and right, it's viewcounts are actually doing pretty good, likely top 3 for tencent when it finishes airing, probably top 5 across all platforms? It's way less than what everyone is expecting (which is another JoL, which is about 3 times SSS in viewcounts I think, real rough estimate), but considering the absymal initial feedback, the completely misdirected promotion, somewhat slow pacing, I'm surprised it's doing fine.

As for whether that means this will get a second season, I'd wait for JoL s2 to actually start filming before I consider SSS s2, they share the same scriptwriter, who have too many projects honestly.

• Like 1