[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Sword Snow Stride 雪中悍刀行

sugarplum892

Yes I remember JN describing the blurry black and white thing that ‘killed the Hukui mom’ - like a hit and run :( 

Ep 23 - I dislike the misogynistic subplot of elder sis. Mr. Liu is typical trash of a man; he even knocked out his wife - poor lady being duped. Why these wives of cheaters always blame the other women before realizing it’s the guy that step out of the marriage first?! Ambition at the expense of one’s family is a clear theme here….

One thing I do love about the show is the story - it’s quite complex with lots of schemings and everyone def not what they seem. 

Edited by Yinye

On 2/11/2022 at 5:39 AM, Yinye said:

Yes I remember JN describing the blurry black and white thing that ‘killed the Hukui mom’ - like a hit and run :( 

One thing I do love about the show is the story - it’s quite complex with lots of schemings and everyone def not what they seem. 

Yes, I was quite confused with Miss Hehe, too. She just appeared out of nowhere! I was like... da-fuq? Then When XFN said she was a beef noodle seller and he often ate at her stall, I kinda got this feeling she wasn't evil after all? Then she pierced thru his body with her bare hand... I was like... maybe she is a great undercover assassinator waiting to do her job? This show is so unpredictable. The only thing that is predictable is XFN won't die that easily. LOL! You know, since he's the ML. LOL!

The plot is good, the schemes by all the parties are complex. If most shows have a 2-3 step plot this show has a 6-7 step plot, as viewers we all know what XFN and XX are capable of but imagine being one of those supporting characters. Your life will be so messed up if you messed with the Xu family. 

I have re-watched a second time and yes, you catch more and understand more during the second watch. Maybe I'll give it a third watch when I'm cleaning my house. LOL!

• Like 1

Update: Finished.

Another thing about this drama that I love is the exploration of ‘family’ and the thin line between what people do for their family vs in the name of family and all the grey zones. A key point of XFN was that he would never be like XX to take advantage of family for the greater good but how in some circumstances, XFN can do better than his father and yet still end up having to act like XX when there’s no other way e.g. sending Human’er away or leaving big sis as she wished. Also, we see other side characters all face this too - Scholar Lin destroyed his family by being manipulated to think he was acting for the greater good in plotting to kill XFN. Or now the Xuanyang family sacrificing the only girl offspring just to have access to the Celestial Realm. 

ep 31 I cried a little bit - Xuanyang father’s story arc was a great father- daughter story. I’m thinking where have I seen Qingfeng actress before hmmm. I keep on laughing at Zhao Kai’s attempt to get everyone to kill XFN and failing miserably. LMAO at the grandmaster being trapped in a little boy heheheh

When they were on the Wudi City Walls, Zhao Kai’s comment re how lucky XFN is was funny but true. He has good parents with great of foresight and allies. These flashback of Old Huang is making me emo.

What a great way to send season 1 - satisfying and also leaving you with enough to look forward to for season 2. I hope we won’t have to wait for too long. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:44 PM, Yinye said:

@MayanEcho she wasn’t shown on screen before right? It is kind of annoying lol 

On 2/11/2022 at 10:10 PM, MayanEcho said:

Nope, but she's following them around! :lol: Jiang Ni would remember seeing her where they found the Hukui cubs.

She (Miss HeHe) was also mentioned (but as a description only) as the messenger who brought the note about the World No.11 Swordsman to the hotel they were at in Qing Zhou.

11 hours ago, Yinye said:

Update: Finished.

When they were on the Wudi City Walls, Zhao Kai’s comment re how lucky XFN is was funny but true. He has good parents with great of foresight and allies. These flashback of Old Huang is making me emo.

What a great way to send season 1 - satisfying and also leaving you with enough to look forward to for season 2. I hope we won’t have to wait for too long. 

I was happy to see more scenes of Old Huang, and was also very emo too. Especially framed in XFN's perspective, it made me miss him as like the prince. Even when they had his hat, drinking bottle and salt shaker hung up by the wall as XFN came to the top level where the other 6 swordsman were waiting, and said, [Old Huang] you're here as well'. 

If Season 2 happens, I'm afraid its going to be a long while...even after filming, it seems to be at least a year to broadcast.

And... B) don't you all think in these jiang hu stories - it seems like (one of) the best thing you can do for your children is to give some food, give some money, or  kindness to a less fortunate person/people - the more the better - because maybe in the future, one day when they have become a great martial artists, or a person in power - they will repay the debt and help or save your child.:)

Its like XFN amassed so many debts repayments from his parents that saved his life aplenty or received great blessings and good fortune ..he is indeed lucky (reincarnarted well as Zhou Kai said). Zhou Kai also got his master due to the same kindness from his mother too.

• Like 2

@lilviolet I’ve had to wait a long long time for some Cdramas so a year or two is not much for me lol. There will be other things to enjoy as we wait! 
Bored Fun GIF by Abitan

Yes, it is a common element of Jiang Hu and Wuxia stories that people should be treated with kindness and moral righteousness to form meaningful relationships and it’s base on these strong bonds that leads to blessings. But I have seen plenty of stories where sometimes goodness doesn’t guarantee anything too.

I guess now that I am thinking on it are there guesses on who is Miss Hehe’s Shifu/master?? I am still not sold on her character - even if in the end she saves him from the bad curse. I guess her bits were choppy because of the editing down of the drama to fit 38 episodes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Will there be a second season?

Viewers infer there is because of the manner in which it ended but I think there has been no formal announcements yet. Let's see!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if people that read the novel could like give us a ran down on the fate of some the characters. I know from the internet that in the novel he married White Fox, Pei Nanwei, Jia Ni, and someone name Sweet Potato. But I’m like truly curious who else he marries or have kids with. It’s quite sad that China be clamping down on harem stories. I feel like for characters like this the harem actually makes sense. And I truly hope that a kind soul would take it upon themselves to translate the novel. Actually it would even be better if a publishing company took upon themselves to translate the novel. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, Aziraphale said:

Xu Fengnian isn't stupid, and Jiang Ni is not some highly skilled person either. The reason why Jiang Ni hasn't been able to kill him is because he sees through her attempts and indulges her. She gets away with all this because he lets her. As a princess from a fallen kingdom, she is literally nobody and Xu Xiao could have killed her years ago but he didn't. Xu Fengnian did not have to put up with her multiple assassination attempts and could have ordered her killed the first time she tried it, but he doesn't, and lets her try again and again, and even teases and mocks her when she fails. However, if someone else bullies her, he will defend her.

In the novel this is quite telling in the segment where Princess Suizhu wrecks Jiang Ni's vegetable patch at Wudang, and Xu Fengnian takes on both the princess' bodyguards in his defence of Jiang Ni. Hong Xixiang says Xu Fengnian is a good person for doing that, but Xu Fengnian says instead: "She's my maid, if I want to hit, scold, take liberties with her, that is my right. Who is anyone else to bully her? If they slap her, isn't that the same as giving me a box on the ear?"

The drama doesn't show all this depth because it diluted the intensity of their relationship and made her seem like some childish girl who wants to kill Xu Fengnian for fun (her "excuse" that she's doing it to get him used to when they have to part or whatever is just nonsense and doesn't make sense). They bicker like sweet young lovers in the drama and she is shown to secretly care for him and he her, but in the novel, she hates him with a passion and never lifts a finger to help him while he doesn't seem to take her seriously. So when he actually sticks up for her, it makes a difference.

You seem to have read the book SSS . I had a question. Why is the big girl from the XuanYuan family so selfish? She looks like 27 yrs old bare minimum. How could she not know her own father will die if he fought against the old ancestor? I mean there's a serious chance of dying. If my dad's life was on the line cause I didn't want to marry a 90yr old hag, I would have done it anyway (the marriage) since dad's life is more important than my prestige. How is the character portrayed in the book? Besides, mc Xu FengNian acted pretty childish, he shouldn't have interfered in that family business.

I enjoyed the cdrama but from time to time I get angry watching Xu FengNian's hypocritical worldview; only he's right 24/7 . He's no better than corrupt politicians.

Edited by JunYouYunWordOfHonor
error in showing that my cmt had already been posted