[Drama 2020] Record of Youth / The Moment, 청춘기록

DreamCatcher2011

I have so many thoughts about this drama, but I will just hone in on the most important.

The biggest underlying theme in this drama is CLASS. 

From the very beginning, everyone who came in contact with HJ could see he was "special", that he had immeasurable talent. LTS could see even though he allowed his greed to keep him from doing right by HJ. Had he not gotten bought out by people and been a little patient, HJ would still be his client. There is a reason things took off for HJ after he left LTS's agency. MJ could see it, which is why she decided to start her own agency and convinced him not to enlist yet. HH's mom could see it, which is why she interfered and started using her money and connections to get opportunities for HH. And finally, CJ could see it. I got the impression that CJ was really lonely and didn't just want some young model he could play daddy long legs to, but was sincerely looking for love. He was attracted to HJ not only physically, but he was attracted to his character. HJ was not the type to use anyone. He wasn't looking for fame, he really wanted to move into acting and he showed a lot of respect for the craft. With "special talent and gifts" come greed, jealousy and malicious intent.

HJ is just spreading his wings to fly and the sharks are circling around him.  I knew when he won best new actor, HH's mom was going to lose her mind. First of all, it should be noted that HJ was nominated for Best Actor instead of Rookie of the Year like HH. I feel like HH was nominated because of his looks and "alleged" popularity. But, I have never gotten the impression that HH even cares about acting. It is just something to do in order to be famous, talked about, adored and gain a bigger social media following. I have never heard HH talking about a script he loved, a director he wanted to work with, none of that. And his indifference is translating on the screen. It was very telling when they were at the movie premiere, how the press was more interested in HJ, someone fairly unknown then they were HH and PDH. HJ stole the show because of his ability. No one purchased followers for him, or paid off a director or producer. 

The fact that HH has no work or projects right now is even more interesting because it also shows the negative effects his mother's interference is having on his career. Even LTS wanted an apology from her. She is an elitist snob, who thinks money and class trumps natural talent. That is the main reason she didn't want HJ to succeed. You could just see her looking like how dare the maid's son become more famous than my silver-spooned son?? The inevitable is going to happen. HJ's mom won't be working there much longer, nor will she have to. HJ has already paid off their debts and taken some of the financial pressure away. He has already secured projects overseas, further evidence of his talent. And, truly, how much longer is that arrangement going to work out? HH's mother has rubbed off on HH in my opinion. His mother wants to exert dominance over HJ's mom because of her money and social status, but then at the same time, she wants to be friends. That is just not possible. Let me mop your floors while you brag about your wealthy life, then turn around and have cocktails with you? That is why she doesn't have any friends. HH also is very aware of his status and money. He didn't hesitate to hire JH as his makeup artist and then lock her in a contract, even though he knew she was a fan of HJ. Also, I feel like he is intrigued with her choosing his friend, before he blew up into a star. Now that he knows, because she has told him many times, that she is in love with HJ and they have a solid relationship, he wants to confess? Talk about a bad friend.

I won't elaborate further, but there are some things that need to happen before this drama ends.

MJ needs to STEP it way up. HJ is becoming too big of a star for her to have a panic attack every time something happens, otherwise she really will lose him as a client.

I would like to see LTS truly pay for what he has done and continues to do. How dare he try to steal HJ back when he treated him so poorly before.

I need HH's mom to get humbled because she still thinks her money is enough to make her son a star.

I want HH to be an actual friend to HJ instead of competition. 

I hope haraboji becomes successful with the senior modeling.

And I want our OTP to find their own true happiness despite their individual careers.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 5

Hello everyone!

Bogum's fan here. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the discussion. I appreciate everyone who has provided their feedback and special thanks to @MinLyn who provided the recap and to @gumtaekfor the constant update. Please know that there are more people who are reading your comments even though we don't always login. RoY fighting! :)

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I’ve watched the latest episodes and there’s so many things going on in the show but I’ll focus on our OTP and Hae Hyo for now. 

Somehow, every couple will have to go through some sort of "test" to see how strong their bond is. It's understandable how HJ celebrity status will put a strain on his relationships as his work schedules start piling up. Both HJ and JH just have to learn how to navigate through the hurdles. I like the scene where HJ tells JH he loves her. And she says she loves him back. That should have have some significance for both of them down the road.

C6932-DC7-3668-4-C77-B763-0-D63-D5-CD131

I admit it's disappointing to see how HH character is turning out. His feelings for JH is making him do all the wrong moves. He's being a lousy, two-faced friend because of it. It’s important to note that HJ trusts him to be with JH. But HH is violating that trust by being disrespectful. If he's really a good friend, he would not take advantage of JH and her kindness. A good man would not allow his feelings for a woman to dictate his actions so badly. He did that first when he lost the Rookie award. He acted pitiful and took advantage of JH kindness then.

Now by giving her a ride home he's doing a good friend deed. He’s making sure she’s safely home. A good friend would offer the umbrella and the ride home without going up to the girl's house. Even if he was invited (most likely out of politeness by JH). I didn’t see anything that JH did to give him the impression that she likes him more than a friend. In fact, most of their conversations were about HJ. Maybe JH feels vulnerable and distant from HJ at that moment but that’s all the more reason for HH to stay away.

There's no excuse for a character that crosses the line. He knows HJ and JH are in a relationship and by deliberately pursuing JH, it just makes HH very disrespectful of HJ and JH.

If HH confesses his feelings and create more tension in the couple’s relationship, that will take the last semblance of decency from his character. I hope he doesn't go that far.

He might want to ask himself this, if the roles were reversed, would HH want his male best friend to behave this way with his girlfriend too?

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

As a fansgirl, it is happy to see that HJ is success and has many jobs. As a girl friend, however, it is not easy to keep the relationship if lack of communication. JH already told that she wants HJ can share the difficulty with her. But at the last scene, JH know HJ’s schedule from HH. It seems that HJ is very very busy and JH doesn’t want to disturb him, and then just have few chat via message... They love each other very much but do not know how to represent it... Any one can teach/tell them? HH, can you do it?:huh:

I think HH is a simple person. He told HJ he needs him and he also forgive JU and HN easily. For EP 12, he also help HJ take photos of JH. It shows HH already recognised the relationship between HJ and JH. At the last scene, he takes 2 umbrellas. One for himself and one for JH. 
It likes the signal of Help (as friends). I hope I am not wrong. HH is not easy too because  of his mom.:unsure:

LTS and the reporter are terrible. They can destroy people. But they exist because there are many readers want to know star’s privacy. Star = Product? <_<  I always think that stars are just human being, not own by us. Their jobs entertain the fans and the public but we also need to understand they cannot be perfect. If we know too much, we do not have imagination space, they cannot be shine for a long time. Just keep the best distance (support) for their good performance. ;)

• Like 3

I agree with you, HH and his mother are so focused on themselves that they disrespect others, HJ and his mother above all, but also JH.  HH has not had any permission from HJ to look after his girlfriend, twice he "jokingly" grabbed her as if she were his property and has now entered her house.  There is something wrong with him.  But what this drama shows without any justification is the world around these stars, from ruthless managers, to sponsors, fans with malevolent intentions (like the two girls who asked HJ for a photo by not keeping their promise and saying that he was  with boyfriend), greedy journalists and crazy haters.  It is not just a life of luxury and joy, because popularity also gives responsibility.  JH's character was written before Bo Gum accepted, but their life is similar, even Bo Gum paid off his father's debts when he became famous.  I hope he can find a way to reconnect with JH and I hope for a happy ending.  But do we want to talk a little about Jeong Ha?

• Like 5

HH has not had any permission from HJ to look after his girlfriend, twice he "jokingly" grabbed her as if she were his property and has now entered her house.

For me, HH always treat JH with respect. In the last scene, he brings two umbrellas. One for him, one for JH. He knows, he must keep the distance from JH, because JH is HJ's girlfriend. And it's look that JH is the one who allow HH to enter her house. She is the one who let HH in.

I actually feel hurt for HH when he got the hate comments in instagram. People said he is pretend to close with HJ just because HJ is famous. In every interview, even before HJ as famous as now, HH always said that HJ is his best friend, but HJ never said that. HJ is never make HH his priority. For HJ, HH and JU just a friend. Not bestfriend. Even though HH always helps and brings HJ in his photoshoot before HJ got famous.

Btw I am sorry for my bad English, I hope you get my point.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, soojae93 said:

Btw I am sorry for my bad English, I hope you get my point.

I understand but I don't agree with you , because the feeling has always been that he goes beyond the limits of respect and friendship.  With HJ he was compassionate because the other was less rich and famous, always maintaining his superiority and now he doesn't agree to be inferior to him and I think he wants JH just because she is HJ's girlfriend ... He's not bad, just childish

https://twitter.com/izza2830/status/1316305734074732544?s=20

EkR1E18U8AAEHCJ?format=jpg&name=large

I understand that she is suffering, she does not feel part of HJ's life, away from him physically and from his interests .. What I don't understand is why she is so passive in their relationship, I would like her to be more gritty, and then she favors HH too much, without  wanting to deceive him, she should be more firm with him.  What do you think about it?

Edited by frances
  • Like 7