Premiere Watch: Awaken, Cheat on Me If You Can

by missvictrix

Awaken

premwatch_awaken2.jpg

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Crime, mystery, suspense
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: Some might come for Namgoong Min or Seolhyun, but me? I’m here for my girl Lee Chung-ah! Okay, and the plot sounds good too. Awaken is tvN’s latest offering, and the police mystery drama is about a case from over twenty years ago that links up to some present-day events. Our three main characters come together to unravel the threads — Namgoong Min plays a legend in the National Police Agency, Seolhyun is a passionate young police officer (yawn), and Lee Chung-ah plays a detective on loan from the FBI (un-yawn). Going on the tone of the promotional material so far, I’m guessing this will be dark, and even slightly eerie, with a side of humor to get us through (that lollipop teaser!). But will this be more procedural, or more character-driven? I’m hoping for the latter, because that makes a much richer story for our band of committed investigators.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/11/premiere-watch-awaken-cheat-on-me-if-you-can/

8 hours ago, Jillia said:

He is a she. :D Her name is Jae Jae and she is a popular PD and MC. She might appear as a cameo but not sure. :)

Ooops! Thanks for identifying her and sorry for the mistake:flushed:

3 hours ago, larus said:

Premiere Watch: Awaken, Cheat on Me If You Can

by missvictrix

Awaken

premwatch_awaken2.jpg

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Crime, mystery, suspense
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: Some might come for Namgoong Min or Seolhyun, but me? I’m here for my girl Lee Chung-ah! Okay, and the plot sounds good too. Awaken is tvN’s latest offering, and the police mystery drama is about a case from over twenty years ago that links up to some present-day events. Our three main characters come together to unravel the threads — Namgoong Min plays a legend in the National Police Agency, Seolhyun is a passionate young police officer (yawn), and Lee Chung-ah plays a detective on loan from the FBI (un-yawn). Going on the tone of the promotional material so far, I’m guessing this will be dark, and even slightly eerie, with a side of humor to get us through (that lollipop teaser!). But will this be more procedural, or more character-driven? I’m hoping for the latter, because that makes a much richer story for our band of committed investigators.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/11/premiere-watch-awaken-cheat-on-me-if-you-can/

Thanks for the article! I feel the same way as the writer. I am especially here for my girl Lee Chung Ah, un-yawning at her role and hope we get character-driven and not just a straight procedural only drama.

6 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Is this going to have a romantic sub plot or under current? 

I read that it has a romantic subplot. I think one of the female leads will have a crush on the leading man and he and Jamie will have some reciprocated feelings. But I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, RobinM said:

Is this going to have a romantic sub plot or under current? 

I don't think we are sure yet.  The drama was initially described as a "suspenseful romantic mystery drama about good and evil" but they haven't talked about the romance subplot during promo so I don't know if that has changed. Like @larus it seems like Jung Woo and Jamie will have an attraction (or, alternative speculation, is that Jamie is Jung Woo's sister:expressionless:) and Gong Hye Won will have a one-sided crush on her boss but that's speculation based on the trailers.

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

In the newly released stills from the first episode, Yang Dong Geun appears to be delivering an impassioned speech from the inside of a holding cell as he prepares to spend the night with Namgoong Min’s character at the police station.

Thanks for the article. I think the most important part of this article is we need an explanation for why exactly Do Jung Woo is spending the night inside a holding cell.  I'm pretty sure the policeman is not supposed to be inside the holding cell with the criminals!:lol::lol::lol:

3 Reasons To Tune In To Namgoong Min, Seolhyun, And Lee Chung Ah’s Mystery Drama “Awaken”

b72d8367db04470599eb3f6f24418d3e.jpeg?s=

Nov 30, 2020
by S. Nam

tvN’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “Awaken” is gearing up for its premiere!

“Awaken” is a murder mystery drama that follows the connection between mysterious events unfolding in the present and an enigmatic incident that took place in a village 28 years ago. Namgoong Min stars as Do Jung Woo, the leader of a special task force at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. AOA’s Seolhyun plays Gong Hye Won, a passionate police officer who is also on the task force.

Before its premiere, the drama shared three points to look forward to in the upcoming drama!

Namgoong Min’s mystery drama

Namgoong Min has led many hit dramas with his sharp eye and a thorough understanding of his characters. This time, Namgoong Min will be returning with a mystery drama as the capable leader Do Jung Woo. For his new role, the actor made a striking visual transformation with a short haircut and mustache. He revealed that he even wore a t-shirt he used to wear 10 years ago to get into his role.

Furthermore, Namgoong Min will also showcase detailed acting as he quickly goes back and forth between good and evil with a sharp change in gaze. Already, viewers are intrigued about Namgoong Min’s latest character, the enigmatic Do Jung Woo.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1440872wpp/3-reasons-to-tune-in-to-namgoong-min-seolhyun-and-lee-chung-ahs-mystery-drama-awaken

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020/2021] Day and Night/Awaken, 낮과 밤 - Mon & Tue @21:00 KST - Nam Goong Min & Seol Hyun - Premieres TONIGHT
  • Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020/2021] Day and Night/Awaken, 낮과 밤 - Mon & Tue @21:00 KST

Hello beautiful people!

I already catched up the 1st few 20 mins in raw eps & the things are really looking interesting! The series started off with the incident that happened 28 yrs ago. I think I am already onboard with this drama. Can't wait for eng sub! And Kim Won Hae sshi is funnier than ever! :D

Some stuff from episode 1 is posted below.

Thank you for the second episode preview @Jillia and the clips and stills @gm4queen:heart:

I just watched the raw version on viki and I'm definitely ready for this drama.  Looking forward to the subtitles even more so I can actually understand what is happening in the episode!  There is so much mystery and so much going on. I was not expecting that opening scene flashback to be so nightmarish:o From what I could make out NGM is excellent and charismatic as expected:wub:  Kim Won Hae as Do Jung Woo's boss is hilarious:lol: Jamie just makes a brief appearance in this opening episode but she is already so cool:glasses: The action scenes and directing are thrilling also.

I watched the English subtitled episode now (Viki is still not completed the subs but I found on another streaming site.  PM me if you want the link) 

Random thoughts and speculation on the first episode (possible spoilers)

- I think the three mystery children at the start are JungWoo, Jamie and Yoon Sun Woo's character. 

- Do Jung Woo has some kind of predictive or future telling ability: the sign falling on the first criminal, throwing his lollipop before the women put her rubbish out, when his boss threw the tennis ball, he knew what Jamie's face looks like after 28 years.  However, it clearly isn't a clearcut future telling ability because he can't predict the crimes.

- why was DJW was looking for Jamie all these years? Why can he remember her face after all this time but not the other child-the boy-from 28 years ago?

- what is Jamie investigating on her own?  It seems like she is already there looking for something?

- Jamie was only introduced in a few scenes but I loved her presence.  The look on DJW's face when he saw Jamie for the first time ^_^

- why does DJW sleep in the holding cells? Yang Dong Geun's charcter says he usually sleeps in the holding cells? Why?  We also saw him staying very late at night alone at the office.  Does he ever go home?

- why exactly did he let that drug dealer out?

- the police team are fun together. Loved that little misdirection trick on the youngest team member played by Lee Shin Young (Unfortunately, Seolhyun is miscast and the character is kind of grating. Hope she has less screen time)

- the killer's victims all die with a smile and so did the dead at White Night Village. The modern victims all act like they under the influence of a drug. I also wonder if they could have been hypnotised.

- the 'time' is important: time the victims all died at specific times, they are all wearing wrist watches, the boy at the start talks about 12 noon/midnight and so does that corporate MODU guy later

- the victims are all censored pieces of excrement :angry: To be honest, it feels like the killer is doing the world a favour because it seems like they will get away with whatever just because they are rich.

- I liked most of the directing but the suicide/murder scenes especially the train scene could have been executed better. He wasn't armed and there was time to at least attempt to push him out of the way. Jamie tried to go after him and the police stop her. Then they all stood around watching and shouting until it was too late.

- the first case the team were removed from involving the gold bars is related to the bigger plot somehow.

Cast question: Does anyone know who is the actress playing the hacker/private investigator DJW has looking for Jamie?  Her face looks familiar. At first I thought she was Lee Joo Young but it isn't her.

Another episode 2 teaser:

Also from this tweet it seems they will be doing a cross promotion with OCN?

2 hours ago, raziela said:

I watched the English subtitled episode now (Viki is still not completed the subs but I found on another streaming site.  PM me if you want the link) 

Random thoughts and speculation on the first episode (possible spoilers)

- I think the three mystery children at the start are JungWoo, Jamie and Yoon Sun Woo's character. 

- Do Jung Woo has some kind of predictive or future telling ability: the sign falling on the first criminal, throwing his lollipop before the women put her rubbish out, when his boss threw the tennis ball, he knew what Jamie's face looks like after 28 years.  However, it clearly isn't a clearcut future telling ability because he can't predict the crimes.

- why was DJW was looking for Jamie all these years? Why can he remember her face after all this time but not the other child-the boy-from 28 years ago?

- what is Jamie investigating on her own?  It seems like she is already there looking for something?

- Jamie was only introduced in a few scenes but I loved her presence.  The look on DJW's face when he saw Jamie for the first time ^_^

- why does DJW sleep in the holding cells? Yang Dong Geun's charcter says he usually sleeps in the holding cells? Why?  We also saw him staying very late at night alone at the office.  Does he ever go home?

- why exactly did he let that drug dealer out?

- the police team are fun together. Loved that little misdirection trick on the youngest team member played by Lee Shin Young (Unfortunately, Seolhyun is miscast and the character is kind of grating. Hope she has less screen time)

- the killer's victims all die with a smile and so did the dead at White Night Village. The modern victims all act like they under the influence of a drug. I also wonder if they could have been hypnotised.

- the 'time' is important: time the victims all died at specific times, they are all wearing wrist watches, the boy at the start talks about 12 noon/midnight and so does that corporate MODU guy later

- the victims are all censored pieces of excrement :angry: To be honest, it feels like the killer is doing the world a favour because it seems like they will get away with whatever just because they are rich.

- I complimented most of the directing but the last suicide/murder could have been executed better. He wasn't armed and there was time to at least attempt to push him out of the way. Jamie tried to go after him and the police stop her. Then they all stood around watching and shouting until it was too late.

- the first case involving the gold bars the team were removed from is related to the bigger plot somehow.

Cast question: Does anyone know who is the actress playing the hacker/private investigator DJW has looking for Jamie?  Her face looks familiar. At first I thought she was Lee Joo Young but it isn't her.

Another episode 2 teaser:

Also from this tweet it seems they will be doing a cross promotion with OCN?

I agree with Seol Hyun being a snoozer here. As for Lee Chung Ah, I find her as a gem in this drama and a much exciting as an actress.

btw, nice insight for the first episode. Exactly what I’m thinking as well. My only wish is that Nam Goong Min and Jamie are not sibs like what some speculate. I don’t want then to waste their hot chemistry.

Thanks @Jillia Happy for the strong start. Hope the ratings stay strong and go up up up up! :cheers:

New Jung Woo + Jamie stills:sparklyeyes:

Soompi article for the stills:

Namgoong Min And Lee Chung Ah Have A Tense Staredown In “Awaken”

tvN’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “Awaken” has unveiled new stills of Namgoong Min and Lee Chung Ah!

“Awaken” is a murder mystery drama that follows the connections between mysterious events unfolding in the present and the secrets behind an enigmatic incident that took place in a village 28 years ago.

Namgoong Min stars in the drama as Do Jung Woo, the eccentric but brilliant team leader of a special task force at the National Police Agency, while AOA’s Seolhyun plays passionate police officer Gong Hye Won. Lee Chung Ah takes the role of FBI agent Jamie, who was adopted as a young child and returns to Korea to solve the serial killer case connected to her lost memories of her childhood from 28 years ago.

Spoilers

The first episode shocked viewers with the frightening serial murder that was disguised as a suicide. Do Jung Woo and Gong Hye Won launched an investigation to find out the truth. Towards the end of the episode, it was revealed that Jamie was involved in the incident, and Do Jung Woo stared at her with wary eyes, heightening the curiosity about the link between them.

The new stills depict the pair having a tense conversation in a dark residential alley. Jamie is backed into a wall, and Do Jung Woo stares at her with penetrating eyes. Unfazed, she doesn’t break eye contact, and suffocating tension increases between the two. How exactly are these two connected, and will they be able to cooperate in order to solve the greatest mystery of all?

The drama’s production team stated, “In the second episode that airs today, Jamie will join the special task force and showcase tense teamwork with Do Jung Woo. The relationship between Do Jung Woo and Jamie will further boost the tension of the drama, which is already at its highest due to the mysterious serial murder case. Namgoong Min and Lee Chung Ah has created special synergy with their perfect acting. Please look forward to the next episode.”

The second episode of “Awaken” will air on December 1 at 9 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1441197wpp/namgoong-min-and-lee-chung-ah-have-a-tense-staredown-in-awaken

15 hours ago, x_x___chi said:

I agree with Seol Hyun being a snoozer here. As for Lee Chung Ah, I find her as a gem in this drama and a much exciting as an actress.

btw, nice insight for the first episode. Exactly what I’m thinking as well. My only wish is that Nam Goong Min and Jamie are not sibs like what some speculate. I don’t want then to waste their hot chemistry.

Another interesting DJW point I forgot about until I saw a K-netizens tweet:

In Episode 1 when Kim Won Hae is angry at the Special Team, he said the rest of the team can use their guns but DJW is banned from using his gun. Why? 

Yes! I really like Lee Chung Ah's acting and Jamie's character. Really hoping they aren't siblings because her chemistry with DJW is fire:wub:

Seolhyun's acting is very one-note. I don't understand why she was cast in the first place and that was months before the controversy in her idol group came out. Now she is just baggage with comments about her behaviour in real life on top of her mediocre acting and her annoying stans spamming fighting in the comment section. I can think of so many talented actresses who would bring so much more to this role. It's a pity but too late now<_<

Hello chingus! :fullofhearts:I'm about to start on episode 1 of this drama. Will be back with some thoughts later!

EDIT: (by @partyon)

Chingus, you're here! Welcome !

file-20191118-169393-r78x4o.jpg?ixlib=rb

Have you been naughty or nice this year? If you have been nice, feel free to open your present :kiss_wink:

Spoiler

2020 has been stressful, so we gift you strength to hold out for a while more until the world can slowly go back to normal again.

50b323d63a4a1d4df160d5c286a12fd1.gif

With the upcoming holidays and even perhaps some extra days off from work, we gift you comfy home wear.

103dd8fc091f03a228ad359860e9914a.jpg

We hope you can also find great clothes for work :joy: Namgoong Min didn't...

If you're feeling hungry, we also gift you ramen :kiss_wink:

And last but not least, if you plan to binge watch a drama during the holidays, here are tips how to stay awake the next day.

3d645ca7cc873aa7e1876c699ef3375a.png

awake.jpg

What is the last drama you binge-watched? Are you planning on binge-watching a drama during the holidays? Let us know in the event thread. :kiss_wink:

12799-Sleepy-Golden-Retriever-pup-wearin

Would not be the first time a pretty idol is cast in a role they aren’t nearly ready for because of their popularity and/or behind the scenes maneuvering. Starting out with fluffy  Inconsequential web dramas If you want to practice acting not in crime dramas  with amazing talent would be common sense but what do I know? 

43 minutes ago, raziela said:

Another interesting DJW point I forgot about until I saw a K-netizens tweet:

In Episode 1 when Kim Won Hae is angry at the Special Team, he said the rest of the team can use their guns but DJW is banned from using his gun. Why? 

Yes! I really like Lee Chung Ah's acting and Jamie's character. Really hoping they aren't siblings because her chemistry with DJW is fire:wub:

Seolhyun's acting is very one-note. I don't understand why she was cast in the first place and that was months before the controversy in her idol group came out. Now she is just baggage with comments about her behaviour in real life on top of her mediocre acting and her stans fighting in the comment section. I can think of so many talented actresses who would bring so much more to this role. It's a pity but too late now<_<

The female lead role was originally for Han Ye Sul but she declined. But I don’t know if it was the Jamie role or Hye Won which Solhyun got. If it was the Hye Won role, then I would understand if she declined because the character is quite underwhelming hehe. Hopefully they will up Solhyun here even a bit because right now, I just find her a bit annoying with her blank facial expression.

Also, Min is living in the police station??? I wonder what arrangements he has with his superior. I somehow sense he knows something about his past. So is the tv anchor. 

And my God Jamie is the darling here. She actually topped Naver’s hot search yesterday. Only proves her character is a big hit to the viewers. And she has been around for a long time. She should have been a top Korean actress many years ago. 

3 minutes ago, partyon said:

Hello chingus! :fullofhearts:I'm about to start on episode 1 of this drama. Will be back with some thoughts later!

Hi chingu! You’ll not regret watching it. 

On 12/1/2020 at 6:23 PM, brooksmom said:

The introduction is scary. 

I know! :scream: It is like a horror movie but I guess whatever was going on there was horrifying

On 12/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, partyon said:

Hello!  Hope you will enjoy it as much as most of us are:waves:

On 12/1/2020 at 6:29 PM, RobinM said:

Would not be the first time a pretty idol is cast in a role they aren’t nearly ready for because of their popularity and/or behind the scenes maneuvering. Starting out with fluffy  Inconsequential web dramas If you want to practice acting not in crime dramas  with amazing talent would be common sense but what do I know? 

Right? I get so tired of idols being cast in roles they are not fit for. Gong Hye Won doesn't seem to be the most complex character but her acting is still so monotonous. Nearly all her lines seem to be the same tone with about two facial expressions. I saw a great comment that compared what a talented actress like Shin Hye Sun did with a similar rookie character in Secret Forest drama.  That character had far fewer lines and much less screen time and Shin Hye Sun still gave Young Eun Soo so much more depth and nuance even though the writing for the character was pretty generic.

On 12/1/2020 at 6:30 PM, x_x___chi said:

Also, Min is living in the police station??? I wonder what arrangements he has with his superior. I somehow sense he knows something about his past. So is the tv anchor. 

And my God Jamie is the darling here. She actually topped Naver’s hot search yesterday. Only proves her character is a big hit to the viewers. And she has been around for a long time. She should have been a top Korean actress many years ago. 

Hi chingu! You’ll not regret watching it. 

I haven't watched episode 2 yet but it is confirmed he definitely lives there?  How sad He seems to have severe PTSD from what happened to them as kids, Yoon Sun Woo's character seems to be a misfit and outcast:tears:  Only Jamie seems to have had a normal life. Maybe because she can't remember her past (yet)?

Yay for Jamie and Chung Ah! She is such an underrated actress:relaxed:

On 12/1/2020 at 9:00 PM, RobinM said:

I just can’t see an actress of Han Ye Seul’s caliber and age playing the Young rookie cop Character. She must have been up for The FBI role. 

That's right. Han Ye Seul was offered the Jamie Layton role.  It makes sense as Han Ye Seul is in her late 30s, grew up in the US and speaks fluent English and Jamie is supposed to have a history with Jung Woo and experienced FBI profiler so she needs to be in her 30s and the character grew up in America speaking English.  The director also mentioned one of the reasons he cast Lee Chang Ah was because she speaks good English.

Archived