[Drama 2020/2021] Day and Night/Awaken, 낮과 밤

taskdramafanatic

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This series is good. It's interesting . 

Some theories that I have are  ( I could be wrong) 

1) The reporter said there are 2 people who are contacting him , one is the killer and the other one is someone who wants to prevent it . The one who wants to prevent it seems like the male lead. That's why he was at the building ,where all the victims visited. But everyone is going to think he the killer . The male lead character gives an anti hero vibe also. 

2) The lead is trying to prevent it, he knows who all are going to get killed. This is related to the flashback . Seems like the orphanage was some sort of cult . Some kind of medical procedures were done on the children .

3) The show is trying to show the male lead as some kind of psychic like the light going on and off ,the way he threw the lollipop into the trash can ,drawing Jaime's picture and all . I don't believe he has some kind of future predicting abilities. I personally believe the male lead is a person who has a high IQ. He seems to have good drawing skills also. 

But since this is kdrama ,they can pull all kinds of stuff they want ,so the psychic ability I am not Fully gonna ignore that .

4) The ceo or executive type guy who is trying to manipulate the realtime keywords wants to deviate people's attention from the murders . He could be the one who is helping the killer . I also think he is the guy who was crying at the begining of the flashback holding the child. 

5) I don't think Jaime and nam goong min's character are siblings. But they really did have a close bond or so in the past.

6) The victims killed seems to be under some kind of drug or under hypnosis. 

11 hours ago, raziela said:

I haven't watched episode 2 yet but it is confirmed he definitely lives there?  How sad He seems to have severe PTSD from what happened to them as kids, Yoon Sun Woo's character seems to be a misfit and outcast:tears:  Only Jamie seems to have had a normal life. Maybe because she can't remember her past (yet)?

Yay for Jamie and Chung Ah! She is such an underrated actress:relaxed:

Not sure if he lives but he sleeps there a lot. That was the chief said. I also never seen him inside what can be said his house. His late night rendezvous are always inside the police station. 

I tracked back soompi's articles about the plot. These kids are definitely telepathic or have some sort of cognitive abilities. Jung Woo's more aware though that's why he was able to draw Jamie's face even if he has not seen her as an adult. Also explains why he behaves like that around her. He gives her clues about him and her  I'm thinking Jamie's repressed memories also repressed these abilities if she has it in the first place. I'm thinking that they were experimented as kids. Just don't know who the real perpetrator is or what the motive is. 

12 minutes ago, Dev11O said:

This series is good. It's interesting . 

Some theories that I have are  ( I could be wrong) 

1) The reporter said there are 2 people who are contacting him , one is the killer and the other one is someone who wants to prevent it . The one who wants to prevent it seems like the male lead. That's why he was at the building ,where all the victims visited. But everyone is going to think he the killer . The male lead character gives an anti hero vibe also. 

2) The lead is trying to prevent it, he knows who all are going to get killed. This is related to the flashback . Seems like the orphanage was some sort of cult . Some kind of medical procedures were done on the children .

3) The show is trying to show the male lead as some kind of psychic like the light going on and off ,the way he threw the lollipop into the trash can ,drawing Jaime's picture and all . I don't believe he has some kind of future predicting abilities. I personally believe the male lead is a person who has a high IQ. He seems to have good drawing skills also. 

But since this is kdrama ,they can pull all kinds of stuff they want ,so the psychic ability I am not Fully gonna ignore that .

4) The ceo or executive type guy who is trying to manipulate the realtime keywords wants to deviate people's attention from the murders . He could be the one who is helping the killer . I also think he is the guy who was crying at the begining of the flashback holding the child. 

5) I don't think Jaime and nam goong min's character are siblings. But they really did have a close bond or so in the past.

6) The victims killed seems to be under some kind of drug or under hypnosis. 

Yes. Super agree to all your observations. Jung Woo has high cognitive abilities. Also, I strongly believe he already knows who or what Jamie is but is not revealing it for some reasons. Maybe to protect her or his own motives. He is absolutely giving hints when he spoke with her about the case and Jamie seems to catch up on it fast. 

21 minutes ago, cherriesblue said:

Wait, jamie told Do they've met before.  She doesnt remember her past, so how does she know they have met even before the train tracks scene? 

She was more of asking why Do behaves like they met before. 

WSaw Episodes 1 and 2. NGM portrays an illustrating character once again. The episodes were interesting enough that I'm looking forward to Episode 3. 

Regarding Jamie and Do having me before or not, she seems to take his insinuations at some value that it gives her food for thought. 

Struggling to take Seolhyun seriously in this role. Had the same issue with Nana in Kill It. Using idols renowned for their visuals for these roles I always find jarring. They don't look the part and they can't really act to make up for it.

Will watch for NGM though, he's on a great run of dramas.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, x_x___chi said:

Not sure if he lives but he sleeps there a lot. That was the chief said. I also never seen him inside what can be said his house. His late night rendezvous are always inside the police station. 

Thanks! I have watched the subbed Episode 2. Plus Jung Woo brushing his teeth and washing up in the morning at the station lol! I can't wait until we find out why he lives like this. 

I agree that JW knows a lot more than he lets on and is definitely giving Jamie hints when they talk because he knows she is smart. I also wonder if that hypnotherapy slip-up was accidentally on purpose. Maybe he isn't telling Jamie about the past because of the trauma and he doesn't want to force Jamie to dig up those memories. i also feel like there was a specific reason he told her she had pretty hands but Jamie didn't pick up on it.  LMAO at her trying to return the compliment by saying something nice about his plaster:lol:

On 12/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, Dev11O said:

1) The reporter said there are 2 people who are contacting him , one is the killer and the other one is someone who wants to prevent it . The one who wants to prevent it seems like the male lead. That's why he was at the building ,where all the victims visited. But everyone is going to think he the killer . The male lead character gives an anti hero vibe also

I am wondering who the first tip-off was. it said they couldn't trace because it came from overseas so could it have been Jaimie? Or is that misdirection?

On 12/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, Dev11O said:

Good point about the high IQ. Jung Woo, Jamie and Jae Woong are all geniuses.  I wonder if this institution either experimented on children that already had high IQs or experimented on normal children to increase their IQ leading to the side effects.

Many Thoughts on Episode 2 which I enjoyed much more than the first episode but now I have more questions:lol:

- What is in Jung Woo's lollipops?  I don't think it is just confectionery. Maybe some sort of drug? Did anyone notice how he picked it up and blew it off after he dropped it on the floor. I guess JW believes in the 10 second rule lol:lol:

- what were the drugs he consumed all though this episode? Were they the sleep inducers they found in that sicko Choi Yong Suk's office? He was chewing on them like they were mints but they didn't seem to be having any effect on him.  

- What was Choi Yong Suk's relationship is to White Night Village?  The Foundation guy seemed very anxious about his death

- JAMIE:wub: I love that she is cool, smart and rational but also has a personality and a sense of humour.  Her introduction to the team was so funny!  It seems like her memories are painfully trying to return.  I loved all her interactions with Jae Woong.  Great chemistry and they are surprisingly fun together.  The way JW looks at her sometimes, I really want to know what he is thinking and what their connection was.

- Does Jae Woong have heightened physical abilities?  He is very athletic for someone who seems to spend most of this time indoors hunched over a computer and eats cheap instant food. I also noticed in the lift the chief lost his balance but he complained JW has great balance. Jamie seems to be very fit judging by her running. Is this something to do with the experiments?

- The lights went crazy when all three were in the shop together just like at the start of the drama with the three children.  Why does jung Woo recognise Jamie but not Jae Woong? Jae Woong and Jamie don't recognise each other or JW

- Just realised on a rewatch we can hear more than one child's voice in the store repeating that noon or midnight story. One voice is a little girl. Little Jung Woo, Jamie and Jae Woong?

- looks like JW connected the drug dealer from the holding cell with his (I think) adopted dad at the LP store?

- it seems like the youngest police officer is still not very observant:lol: He realised last that they met Jamie at the train tracks

- Why is Do Jung Woo's sense of direction so bad?  Was he playing a trick on Jamie?

-  Gong Hye Won at home: HW has a crush on her boss. The framed picture shows that her father was part of the White Night Foundation. I think Jung Woo knows recruited Hye Won to his team because of her father.  

- what is going on at that office block? What did Lee Ji Wook see? Why was Jung Woo there?

- DJW being the killer is a red herring but Jamie and LJW are suspicious of him.

- Finally, what do those glasses do? He didn't need them to draw Jamie's picture so why did he need them this time? The pictures on the wall all seem to be related to White Night Foundation employees or their offspring. Why did he pick up Hye Won's picture? 

Awaken: Episodes 1-2 (Review)

by missvictrix

Awaken0102_1.jpg

Mind games, puzzles, and some creepy twists! tvN’s latest crime thriller Awaken gets off to a slow and predictable start, but once it hits its pace, injects some excitement that promises a more interesting drama ahead. Yes, with lots of lollipops.

EPISODES 1-2 REVIEW

Awaken0102_2.jpg

Why is every drama lately starting off with fire and flames? The intro scenes to Awaken are just that, giving us a hell-worthy scene set 28 years in the past. There’s some kind of demonic and/or zombie insanity going on, and we’ve got flames, blood, clocks, terrifying children, and basically everything but the kitchen sink to make this as creepy as it can be.

We’ll circle back to this incident for sure, but it’s important to know that the kids we see are pretty damn likely to appear in the drama as present-day thirty somethings. I wonder who they could be?

Awaken0102_3.jpg

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/12/awaken-episodes-1-2-review/

I finally managed to watch both episodes. I will tell you that it wasn't easy. I was struggling to even get through episode 1 but fortunately managed to force myself to watch episode 2.

Gonna rant first :joy:

• The cinematography and editing is weird - and not in a good way. The CGI crow in the beginning of episode 1 - no words. It looks like their CGI budget is 5 dollars.... I can see what the cinematographer is trying to achieve (edginess), but it just fails miserably. All those choppy scenes, strange camera angles, over-dramatic slowed down scenes using light effects.... It just doesn't fly, and that was the reason why I almost dropped the show in ep 1.
  • The idol actress is just soooooo bad..... She has no emotional acting range at all! Zero ! Zilch ! Nada !
    so bad GIF by The Opposition w/ Jordan Klepper
    @Sleepy Owldongsaeng says that she is one of the better idol actresses.... If that's the case, there is no hope for most of the dramas I want to watch in December.... For reference, they have cast only idol actresses in all of them. I just want to cry....:bawling: Why do they have to cast these talentless people ?
  • The plot and the clues are really predictable. This drama reminds me of another drama I've watched, but can't recall which one. At the moment, I feel like this drama is lacking originality. I kept being annoyed that in many scenes it was evident already in the previous episode what was going on, and then they were like "OMG, we see the connection now..." Dude, I'm not even a police officer, and I can figure out some of the stuff faster than you do... :joy:

Alright, then less ranting

• So clearly the 2nd FL's (played by the idol actress) dad is/used to be one of the ring leaders of the Foundation. The 2nd FL, Jamie, the guy in the convenience store and the ML are all kids in the foundation. Some of them seem to have more memories intact than others. I suspect the ML remembers a lot from his childhood. Jamie's memories seem to be coming back.
  • The petty drug dealer dude, is most probably the dad of one of the kids (either the grocery store guy or the ML)
  • The person killing these people is connected to the Foundation who were producing, researching and/or using drugs, since all these people are under the influence of something that the police can't detect in autopsies.

@Jillia Not convinced by this drama yet, but have decided to check out ep 3. So, it's not as bad as I feared. :kiss_wink:

On 12/3/2020 at 4:01 AM, raziela said:

@partyon

I obviously enjoyed the first two episodes much more than you did but I do agree the directing in some scenes was a clunky:sweatingbullets:  I especially thought that during the two murder/suicide scenes where they basically just had the police stand there and suddenly kick into action too late. If they wanted tension, they should have had them arrive too late or racing against the clock rather than have them casually wandering around the club and standing around watching. It didn't even make sense because they were trying to find the host but then when he was identified they didn't even approach or talk to him. Just watched an obviously high/drunk guy (who Hye Won was told doesn't like water) float face first in the pool. Or standing around watching the pervy professor dance around on the train tracks when they had loads of time to try to grab him:lol: They even stop Jamie when she tries to grab him.

Also agree with everyone that this idol playing the Hye Won character is a total miscast with jarringly one dimensional acting. Really do not understand this particular casting decision:wacko:

6 hours ago, partyon said:
  • So clearly the 2nd FL's (played by the idol actress) dad is/used to be one of the ring leaders of the Foundation. The 2nd FL, Jamie, the guy in the convenience store and the ML are all kids in the foundation. Some of them seem to have more memories intact than others. I suspect the ML remembers a lot from his childhood. Jamie's memories seem to be coming back.
  • The petty drug dealer dude, is most probably the dad of one of the kids (either the grocery store guy or the ML)
  • The person killing these people is connected to the Foundation who were producing, researching and/or using drugs, since all these people are under the influence of something that the police can't detect in autopsies.

- I agree Jung Woo remembers and Jamie is starting to remember. I don't think Hye Won was one of the kids in the foundation because she is too young. JW and Jamie are 36. The foundation was destroyed 28 years ago and Hye Won is only in her mid-late 20s. She also hasn't shown any particular ability or above average intelligence like JW, Jamie or Jae Woong. 

- Yes, the drug dealer is JW's adoptive father according to the character descriptions. 

- Definitely agreed the murders all tie back to the experiments at the foundation. 

The consensus is this drama is not off to a great start and has problems. Oh dear. It’s only episode 2 so let’s give it at least 4 more episodes I say. After that... well,  the chemistry of Do Jung Woo and Jamie Hopefully crackles. 

4 hours ago, RobinM said:

The consensus is this drama is not off to a great start and has problems. Oh dear. It’s only episode 2 so let’s give it at least 4 more episodes I say. After that... well,  the chemistry of Do Jung Woo and Jamie Hopefully crackles. 

Consensus on Soompi forums or consensus on other sites / k-netz?

Tell Oh My GIF by Robert E Blackmon

After watching the first two episodes, I had a strange impression of this drama. At first, the plot is very reminiscent of Memorist, almost all the same, only there were two children paranormal, and here three children and one paranormal, it is unknown which of them. I caught myself thinking that I don't follow the plot, because I'm not interested in it, I'm interested in watching the performers. We especially liked NGM and Jamie. It was a very bad choice to take on the lead role of a brave cop of a famous idol, especially when a veteran actress is next to her.

@RobinM @partyon I only looked at MyDramaList, AsianWiki and the streaming site where I watch the subbed episodes which has a lot of comments but the feedback I saw is mostly positive. The biggest criticisms I have seen are Seolhyun's acting/casting/character, confusing plot and the directing of the two murders making the cops look useless. 

Random thoughts but I am wondering about the "special hires" for Do Jung Woo's Special Team. It is mentioned a few times that both Gong Hye Won and the youngest officer, Jang Ji Wan (played by Lee Shin Young) are special hires recruited by Jung Woo when he formed the special team.

Gong Hye Won - I was thinking Hye Won doesn't seem to be a particularly standout police officer for JW to have specially hired her but now we know JW had an ulterior motive.  After Episode 2 and the teaser for Episode 3 we know Jung Woo specifically recruited Hye Won from the traffic police.  The audience knows JW targeted her because of her father's links with the White Night Village Foundation.

Jang Ji Wan - so far appears to be inexperienced, not too smart and unobservant.  I thought the character might just be comic relief but I feel like there is more to the character if JW specially recruited him.  Could he have a connection with someone who worked at the Foundation too?

Yoon Seok Pil - the mature officer with glasses.  The Special Team tech guy.  We have seen he is very good at this job so no mystery why he is on the team.

Archived