[Drama 2020] 365: One Year Against Destiny, 365: 운명을 거스르는 1년

0ly40

44 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Still can’t work out why she needs them for the experiment.  If she has already established that you can avoid death by just NOT being there in the first place, and if her daughter’s death on the train is the impetus for her maniacal experiment in time travel.  Why not as everyone has suggested here, just take her on some trip and NOT get on the train?  :blink:

@nrllee Based on today's episode, assuming LS' daughter died, I am having second thoughts about it being from the train accident, but possibly an illness. LS visited the medical clinic and was told some kind of results do not look good. If they were talking about her daughter and the impending death is health-related and terminal, it may be why it cannot be changed or avoided.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

If they were talking about her daughter and the impending death is health-related and terminal, it may be why it cannot be changed or avoided.

So she just keeps resetting because she wants to re-live those moments with her daughter?  She’s not going to grow up anyway?  Remember how the resetters thought it was weird that she kept wanting to keep her daughter from ever growing up?  If that’s her sole purpose, to just spend more time with her daughter, why bother getting others to reset with her?  Was she getting bored? No company so she thought (in a warped kind of way), let’s just make this more fun for myself and bring others into the game (for sport)?  It explains her rather maniacal side that we see. :lol:  This is getting a bit too weird.  I really hope writer wraps it up well.  So far the other thing I have noticed is that BJT and HJ seem to be the only ones who seem lackadaisical about their impending doom.  Could it be because as @40somethingahjumma mentioned, it had to do with why they wanted to reset?  Both had altruistic reasons for it. To save someone else.  BJT for his sister (not sure how) and HJ for his Hyung.  How did his sister get a heart transplant?  Did LS pay the medical costs? Was that how she got him to do all the stuff for her? 

I recently binged watched this drama and couldn't stop because its so addictive. LS is defiantly doing this for her daughter "more time with her daughter. We see a little sadness whenever she is with her, especially when she said to her daughter,"she wanter to see her go to school." When her doctor friend was talking to her, I got the feeling that she was telling her she had little time/ dying? 

LHJ did not kill Bae, got there after he was killed. I am suspicious of the people that work with LHJ, his partner, younger detective and his female partner. I have so far ruled out the time travels as the killer as of right now. We have figured out everyone motive to time travel  except the old man. I don't believe about the coffee shop thing either. I am really interested in his reason, that might give us more clues and why the killer is killing them. There is a reason, maybe vengeance?  

Not entirely sure what I should make of that last bit. I find it very hard to believe that Hyeong-ju was responsible for that stab attack. What would his motive be? He's done everything by the book so far... why would he suddenly lash out like this and stab BJT? He already knows that BJT has an alibi for Se Rin's death. It makes no logical sense, not to mention how completely out of character it is. The person I find most suspicious is the sunbae, Park Sun-ho, he saved in the reset. Reading his notes and making copies. Okay, It's one thing to read someone else's diary to see what they've been up to but to make a copy of it that is another level of invasion of privacy above stalking. You have to wonder if he's doing some kind of penance for HJ saving his life. Correcting HJ's "mistake" making sure people die when they should. It's very extreme but I have to ask the question.

So I wonder if this is really about corrupt politicians after all... This is  a K drama. Sooner or later... we get there. :P Apparently. ;) It's fascinating to find out that Ko Jae Young... an inveterate high school bully is the son of a potential Education Minister. So do all roads finally lead to this? Is this what the people behind the reset are gunning for? The government of the day? If so, it's certainly some convoluted conspiracy and Lee Shin is just the face of it. It would explain the kindly Mr Hwang's involvement. It's clear that this current group of resetters were handpicked for a reason or reasons that aren't completely known.

There's surprisingly very little killing among those in the "reset" group. There's a lot of huffing and puffing but actual killing no... so I'm inclined to think it's an outsider that's causing the deaths. I've almost always suspected that it was a serial killing at play and now the previews seem to be pointing in that direction.

It is striking that everyone in this group has secrets beyond the fact that they're resetting. Of course they would otherwise the show wouldn't go anywhere. ;) The confusion comes in part from the fact that they all have something to hide and the fact that they mix lies with the truth. That I suspect is separate to who is picking off members of the group although the reasons for the killing might overlap with some of the secrets or not at all. Then there are the people behind the reset... is it to uncover a larger secret for instance, was there something more to the derailment? Government incompetence?

There is a sense that individuals have to take responsibility for their own actions. Maybe that's what fate ultimately is in this context. (The moralizing part of the show is where I'm in my element. ;)) It sounds trite to say this: Actions have consequences no matter who we are. Yes, we are asked to feel a little sorry for SR even if she was a bit nutty. Not everything she said was a lie and she was desperately clamouring for parental love. Even so, she was still responsible for causing problems and she was in over her head dealing with the bf's baggage while barely holding together her own. Her sincerity was not question but in the end he felt suffocated by her affections. Again here's someone else who went on the reset to fix the outcome but never dealing with the core issue. That's why bad stuff keeps happening. Besides she couldn't let go of the one thing that would make her safe. In the end she was her own self-fulfilment prophecy. Perhaps that is what fate looks like here. Rather like Macbeth and the witches. How much of it was the prophecy? How much of it was Macbeth's own ambition and greed? Did the prophecy give him ideas? Would the prophecies have come to fruition if he hadn't already been thinking along those lines? That's of course the debate that's been raging through the centuries among Shakespeare nerds. Same with KJY etc.

These people need more than a reset. They need a transformation from within.

Therefore Sun-ho being the "hidden killer" is a real possibility because, using the show's logic, he becomes the negative consequence of HJ's reset. HJ has no other dirty secret... that we know of... he has so far done everything procedurally. He's done all the hard work, hasn't taken too many shortcuts (aside from the wiretapping) so the one thing that has come back to bite him could well be this.

I join the fans that are getting a bit frustrated. Am on episode 7 and it looks like our leads are still getting played again! Not surprised re Serin at all. How can they ever believe anything the Dr says and with each increasing moment, what each of the other say when so much is being withheld etc. 

update: just finished episode 8 and I was expecting that! 

1 hour ago, Susu said:

LHJ did not kill Bae, got there after he was killed. I am suspicious of the people that work with LHJ, his partner, younger detective and his female partner. I have so far ruled out the time travels as the killer as of right now. We have figured out everyone motive to time travel except the old man. I don't believe about the coffee shop thing either. I am really interested in his reason, that might give us more clues and why the killer is killing them.

- I am hoping LHJ is not the killer.... the editing can be misleading, like the DiCaprio scammer at the beginning of ep1. Provided that LHJ is NOT the killer,  I am actually thinking about the uniform police guy who stations at the entrance counter of LHJ's unit. Strange that he didn't play any role in the story but given some camera shots occasionally.

- I am burning to know the real story behind the coffee shop elder.... maybe he killed his wife and commit suicide before reset? Taking intensive care of someone with alzheimer's, especially if the caregiver has some form of illness too [I speculate], can do much mental harm if the family has not be given enough support. A cafe can make the elder more financially sustainable for caring his wife, as well as psychologically soothing to his soul away from the daily life pressure.

2 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

@nrllee Based on today's episode, assuming LS' daughter died, I am having second thoughts about it being from the train accident, but possibly an illness. LS visited the medical clinic and was told some kind of results do not look good. If they were talking about her daughter and the impending death is health-related and terminal, it may be why it cannot be changed or avoided.

I am thinking along the same line.... the resets are beginning to take a psychological toll on LS, being too obsessive to her daughter and cannot let go of her.... 7 resets are a long time. Maybe she used to care about saving the others during the resets but the sense of desperation started to take over her, thus the coldblooded experiment to checkout the butterfly effect.

20 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I was honestly more impressed with LJH in City Hunter than I was with LMH. That was how many years ago???

9 years? The last drama I watched with LJH was a 11-year old family drama, where his facial expressions were not there during the critical scenes. Me first watch Kdrama in early 2000s. Long time, long time indeed.

LS talking to someone she called "professor" could be a medical doctor, instead of scientist involved in the resetting. I tend to agree that her daughter will not live past 2020, which is why she keeps resetting, trying to relive the times and possibly find a way to prevent her daughter's death. Come to think of it, only death by illness is something that you cannot avoid even knowing before hand.

@triplem I immediately thought of you when we saw HJ sitting in BJT's chair... another shady role he took upon :joy: never a straight-up good guy.... but, he might not be BJT's killer. Although he called out "inspector" but I remember that was before he saw the face. He was expecting his visit so it is natural that he though that person was HJ... After HJ saw the USB that BJT received, he might be being cautious with everyone, including GH.

Anyway, I should just stop speculating before my head exploded. Will just watch the show and see what the writer will present. There better be a good wrap-up because if the ending doesn't make sense, I'm gonna slam this drama down into my disappointing list :sweat_smile:

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Therefore Sun-ho being the "hidden killer" is a real possibility because, using the show's logic, he becomes the negative consequence of HJ's reset. HJ has no other dirty secret... that we know of... he has so far done everything procedurally. He's done all the hard work, hasn't taken too many shortcuts (aside from the wiretapping) so the one thing that has come back to bite him could well be this.

*spoiler warning for Tues episode and speculation*

@40somethingahjumma After watching the latest episode, I do think they are pointing at Sun-ho. A few weird smoke trails:

1) Bae Jung-tae looks straight at the face of killer and says "Detective..." It just needs to be another police investigator, not Hyung-ju. Concur wit  @Susu and others on this part.

2) Lee Shin says she saved everyone in the last reset. Well, Detective Sun-ho was killed in that reality so of course his death would have easily made it possible for everyone to survive, if he was behind their deaths. @nrllee , just noted you made this point upthread. Agree.

4 hours ago, nrllee said:

So she just keeps resetting because she wants to re-live those moments with her daughter?  She’s not going to grow up anyway?  Remember how the resetters thought it was weird that she kept wanting to keep her daughter from ever growing up?

Sigh, Lee Shin's daughter has been shown to us so many times that this is beginning to look like another huge misdirect.

3) Some of the teasers for next week show...

Spoiler

... Sun-ho investigating Zian. It's meant to look like the result of him reading Hyung-ju's notes. But what if there is a much stronger connection between Lee Shin and Sun-ho? This would need Hyung-ju to be alive and to pre-empt his accidental death at the hands of the paroled prisoner. Was the goal of this reset really to save Sun-ho? What if Sun-ho is the father and husband in this family?

4) Possibly the writers trolling us: In the episode where Se-rin manipulated Ga-hyun into thinking she was next. Ga-hyun demands to know why Se-rin chose to torment her. Se-rin says something to the tune of "Because I'm closest to you, it would be the biggest betrayal, hence most entertaining for Lee Shin." Wouldn't put it past the writers to be doing the same thing to the audience. We have warm feelings for Hyung-ju's partner, so we could feel it hardest when we are betrayed in this way. After all, his was the establishing storyline that you could come out ok if you reset altruistically.

This needs a headache emoji, using this one as a substitute. :dizzy:

Of course, since there's so much ambiguity about the Professor character it could still go any which way. @taeunfighting I think you pointed out upthread that Mr Hwang could be this mystery figure, and certainly this remains a possibility. Did we ever discuss the weird resonance around 36.5deg, that's apart from echoing the series title it's just shy of human body temperature?

The taste of kippers permeates everything... *shakes head*

~

Oh my god....our detective...is he really that innocent???? ( I knew that LJH would rarely take on a straight good guy role :ph34r:)

@triplem @keyta Like others I don't think he did the stabby stab thing (haha, genius phrase) but seems like he'll be as morally compromised as everyone else by the time this is through.

Bright spot is sneaking in that hug with Ga-hyun though. Reminds me of that line in Speed...

"I have to warn you, I've heard relationships based on intense experiences never work."

The next line is easily google-able  :D:phew:

2 hours ago, AC95 said:

Did we ever discuss the weird resonance around 36.5deg, that's apart from echoing the series title it's just shy of human body temperature

That struck me too.  But I thought it was enough that it echoed the series and there was already the mind boggling reset and time travel (and lies) to work through so I just didn’t bother. :lol:  let’s hear what your theory is?

12 hours ago, juliacaesar said:

But, okay, how could we explain what happened in the final scene of this episode, then? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is it the good ol' "I have an evil twin" trope? Does HJ have a split personality? Did LS arrange it, somehow? I

Interesting that you mentioned twin here because I noticed that there is two Bae Jung Tae. Can anyone confirm, coz I could be wrong. One have a scar on his left cheek while the other one doesn't. When he was crying at the lake and then again when he was arguing with LS about the deal with his sister there wasn't a scar. He told LS  that on the night SR died he was at Zian with LS and she said she was the only one who can prove that. Likewise the same thing is happening with HJ.

@bebebisous33i just checked, it was BJT with the scar that was with LS at Zian clinic on the night SR was killed but at the scene where he argued with LS at Zian and said that he didn't killed SR, that BJT didn't have a scar. I don't know how to screenshot and post it here. If you look closely at ep8 min 27:37 and 29:42 you will get what i mean.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have been wondering if due to the resets, there are two GH, HJ aso and the other version has to kill his other self in order to ensure that at the end of the reset, there is only one person with the same name left.

:lol: As if the time travel multiple resets isn’t complicated enough as it is.  Throw in evil doppelgängers to make it more interesting.  I am going to bail on this one. I can’t fathom another version of all the resetters.

What’s more likely is that SunHo has somehow taken on the person of HJ - as in he impersonates HJ.  The killer of BJT had a black raincoat on.  And when they pan to HJ, he was in his green jacket sitting on the chair.  I think somehow SunHo is trying to take on the persona of HJ.  He idolizes him?  Or SunHo is living out the comic Hidden Killer in real life.  Isn’t there a good detective in the comic as well who is very similar to HJ in character?  So SunHo in his head thinks HJ is the hidden killer...or he is trying to pin it on him...hence we see what SunHo is seeing in his head (not the real HJ but the perceived one in SunHo’s head)...I don’t know if I am making any sense now.  :lol:

But I think both Professor (I think Hwang is the Professor) and LS (assuming it’s her daughter who is sick) have people they love who can’t escape their “fates” because their loved ones suffer terminal/chronic conditions.  I think they are trying to work out if there is some way you can cheat death (via illness) that they haven’t worked out.  Hence their repeated resets and they are enlisting others in their experiments to see if they can work a way around it because they are stumped.

I never thought of the idea of doppelgänger’s :o. If that is the case it complicates everything. So many ideas and scenario. I think I will need more prove on that, but anything is possible. 

4 hours ago, nrllee said:

But I think both Professor (I think Hwang is the Professor) and LS (assuming it’s her daughter who is sick) have people they love who can’t escape their “fates” because their loved ones suffer terminal/chronic conditions.

@nrllee Assuming Mr. Hwang is speaking the truth during his conversation with GH, he told her that at his age, he still does not want to die as he cannot bear the thought of leaving his sick wife behind. With LS, GH said to her that she doesn't believe she knows how to mourn for someone and those words seem to hit a chord with LS. I think it's likely that her daughter died of an illness. The cycle of life and death is inevitable. In the case of Hwang and LS, it appears both share the similarity of not being able to let go.

11 hours ago, AC95 said:

Did we ever discuss the weird resonance around 36.5deg, that's apart from echoing the series title it's just shy of human body temperature?

The taste of kippers permeates everything... *shakes head*

@AC95 Interesting thought about the human body temperature. Definitely looking forward to learn more about Hwang and his cafe.

By the way, I laugh every time you mention the kippers. :thumbsup:

On 4/15/2020 at 2:03 PM, ktcjdrama said:

@triplem I immediately thought of you when we saw HJ sitting in BJT's chair... another shady role he took upon :joy: never a straight-up good guy.... but, he might not be BJT's killer. Although he called out "inspector" but I remember that was before he saw the face. He was expecting his visit so it is natural that he though that person was HJ... After HJ saw the USB that BJT received, he might be being cautious with everyone, including GH.

Did you hear my heart shatter from miles away ? :joy:.....

I doubt HJ is the killer, but I can see why he would sit there . Perhaps he needs more information before the rest of the cops arrive .   But now I can see the link to which why these resetters were chosen, something which GH brought up . These cases happened within the jurisdiction of HJ’s  station. So LS choosing these re-setters were not random, she had chosen them for HJ to investigate. She mentioned that in her previous reset , it was not known who SeRin's killer was. So she hoped that HJ would be able to.  I also don't think that LS is responsible for any of their deaths...her cynical laugh is likely because she has become so detached from seeing these folks meet their fates no matter what happens. She did try to help SeRin, but SeRin walked back into her own fate. 

I read this interesting tweet

Spoiler

I won't write off the HJ's hyung's involvement but it can be seen from a different perspective . I know he looked mighty suspicious copying HJ's notes but I think he did it because HJ has been behaving strangely . He seems to know all those who died, and has been meeting all sorts of strange people and taking extreme interest in cases not linked to him. If I were hyung , I would be very suspicious of HJ's actions and behaviour.

MBC compiled some favourite HJ-GH moments...

Spoiler

BTS

Spoiler

LJH takes us behind the scenes to see the sets

Spoiler

Hello there. Last two episodes were full of twists and surprises. I have so many thoughts and I need to share them somewhere urgently lol. So I decided to join this forum. 

I think cafe owner, Mr. Hwang is the one who killed Se-rin, because of the hat the killer was wearing. And he looked suspicious when he left Ga-hyun's house. His talk with Lee Shin made me think that he could be the "professor". 

Also, for the past few episodes I have kinda been suspecting Hyung-Joo's team leader, older one with glasses. I think he is the one who killed Bae Jung-tae?! I mean in the first episode, after Sun-Ho's death he recommends Zian to Hyung-Joo and it always seemed odd to me. It seemed that not many people knew about the clinic. And it felt like he was bothered by Hyung-Joo's investigations. 

7 minutes ago, Regi said:

I think cafe owner, Mr. Hwang is the one who killed Se-rin,

I thought that too but the thing I have against that theory is his age and size.  He doesn’t look particularly buff?  The serial killer has to be someone with considerable strength and he needs to know about these cases (inside knowledge).  Didn’t he grab Serin and drag her off and she dropped her pink phone?  That takes a fair amount of strength.  That’s why I ruled him out as the killer.

Doppelgangers: A glitch in the matrix

:P

No intersecting parallel universes please!  NOoooooooooooooo. It was hard enough with Fringe... Ack! Next thing we'll be saying is that Lee Shin is an alien observer.

;)

What would Mr Hwang's motive be for killing Se Rin? :blink: She didn't do anything to him. We also can't necessarily assume that the person picking up all the "trophies" is also the killer. There could be two separate parties at work. He could be the professor but that doesn't mean that "the professor" is the killer.

There's something to the theory about HJ's team leader though. I remember him suggesting Zian clinic. That's something I've been wondering about off and on for a while. 

Honestly I'm baffled as much as the next person. There's no logical sense as to why HJ would be going round killing people based on the information we have. His impulse generally has been to save people not kill them.

There is merit to all the avenues presented here but not one on its own covers the entire gamut of what's been happening. I guess I'm still looking for a single unifying theory... maybe that's a lost cause. ;)

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

There's no logical sense as to why HJ would be going round killing people based on the information we have

I agree. The thing that puts me off him being the killer is that LJH is such a seasoned actor that his portrayal of HJ would be different if he had serial killer tendencies?  He’s good at playing dubious characters so he would’ve given HJ some sort of edginess to him. But so far I see nothing of the sort.  If anything, he comes across as rather goofy. The “HJ” that we see perched on that chair with the dead body of BJT bears zero resemblance to the HJ of previous episodes.  So either he has an evil twin doppelgänger or he’s fooled us all along :lol:.  Split personality?  :lol:  Or the rather far fetched scenario that it’s SunHo impersonating him.

Talking about twins, have we ditched the PYG twin brother theory?  So he legitimately died?  And it wasn’t some swap that happened?

Archived