[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

Episode 17 has so many great moments! 

I have lost count how many times I teared up while watching it. I started the episode while having breakfast. Needless to say, I couldn't swallow my food at the beginning of the episode and breakfast just had to wait a bit. 

• Like 12
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I am not happy that PG has decided to move in with his father. KJR has it too easy...

Yes, it does seem rather convenient for KJR that all of this seems to be working in his favour especially when his bigger issues with DB haven't really been dealt with. But it was a cry of help from a desperately confused kid. It became the elephant in the room that no one seems to want to touch. And look, it should have been resolved a long time ago and it has gone beyond a joke.

However, I don't think things will be as smooth for JR or PG as it might seem. I understand the sense of urgency that he feels about getting PG out of Ongsan... the safety aspect but it could turn out to be a case of "out of the frying pan and into the fire". JR may be getting what he wants in the short-term but he might not be able to adequately deal with the consequences of bring PG back to Seoul.

A lot hinges on how Jessica behaves when PG comes to live with them. She's still doing her prima donna shtick so it doesn't bode well. :( If PG thinks that he's unloved now wait till he has to share space and oxygen with Jessica. Who knows... maybe the experience will help him appreciate and understand his mother better. We live in hope.

I wish the adults would tell PG the truth about Hyang Mi and the Joker. Would have saved the young fellow a lot of heartache. But of course he wouldn't be leaving in a huff if they had. ;)

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

They did it :D

Ratings

E 33/34: 17.9%/20.7%

Did KHN make any promises about reaching peak ratings? I would sure love to see him sing and play his guitar. :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

37 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

However, I don't think things will be as smooth for JR or PG as it might seem. I understand the sense of urgency that he feels about getting PG out of Ongsan... the safety aspect but it could turn out to be a case of "out of the frying pan and into the fire". JR may be getting what he wants in the short-term but he might not be able to adequately deal with the consequences of bring PG back to Seoul.

So true. He's already 8 years old and pretty smart and mostly mature for his age. He'll realize that no matter how desperate JR is to make up for the lost years, by piling up the toys and whatever he ask for to win his affection, he won't be truly happy living there in that big swanky house. Most especially with Jessica and the baby around. He is already feeling resentful with Yong Shik's increasing presence in DB's life. Can already imagine how he would feel towards the baby sister. He had been used to having his mom all by himself. Now he has to share with his baby sister for his dad's time and affection. And even worse, a step mother who doesn't want him there.

His home is where his mom and grandma is. And wait till Pilgu hears about the Joker is after his mom.

I could already imagine Pilgu demanding JR to return him to DB. But it would be even better if JR himself return Pilgu to DB. It is the right thing to do.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

this drama really made my emotion up and down....we got sad, happy and funny at the same time.

i think it writer-nim style to keep mysterious about joker until the last time. 

the last scene during PG talk with YS  really hit me......i sad for PG but at the same time i feel bad for YS.

I hope YS would had proper talk with PG.

YS like DB with an eight years old son but not just DB herself.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Did KHN make any promises about reaching peak ratings? I would sure love to see him sing and play his guitar. :D

I have to go back and check their prescon interview :lol:

Super happy for him!

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Pil Gu just breaks my heart as he "decides" to live with his father. It's so clear that he thinks that he is a burden to his mother. And, to make it easier for his mother to give him up, PG tells her that he should live some with his father as well, and does DB want PG to always grow up fatherless.

Usually in a Kdrama, it is either the male or female lead who would choose the noble idiocy route. Which is why I find it so tiring watching a drama because halfway through the series, the leads would separate and the episodes leading to the finale will be filled with so much angst and frustration. 

Surprisingly, it is Pilgu who chose this route because of his deep love for his mom. I hope Jessica would learn a lesson or two from this precious boy about selfless love. 

I am just wondering since the women of Ongsan has now banded together to become DB's protectors, and even moved the meeting place to the Camellia Bar for the very first time. Where are the neighborhood men? They've become conspicuously absent save for YS police unit, NGT and HS. 

And speaking of HS why does he make me feel he isn't guilty of harming anyone but simply guilty by association?

I'm wondering if the writer could wrap up everything when we only have tonight and next week's episodes left. So many questions waiting to be answered and so little time. I bet tonight's episode will merely focus on Pilgu's separation with DB and how both mother and son would struggle to cope with this heartbreaking situation.:tears:

• Like 10

5 hours ago, htk9207 said:

So true. He's already 8 years old and pretty smart and mostly mature for his age. He'll realize that no matter how desperate JR is to make up for the lost years, by piling up the toys and whatever he ask for to win his affection, he won't be truly happy living there in that big swanky house. Most especially with Jessica and the baby around. He is already feeling resentful with Yong Shik's increasing presence in DB's life. Can already imagine how he would feel towards the baby sister. He had been used to having his mom all by himself. Now he has to share with his baby sister for his dad's time and affection. And even worse, a step mother who doesn't want him there.

His home is where his mom and grandma is. And wait till Pilgu hears about the Joker is after his mom.

I could already imagine Pilgu demanding JR to return him to DB. But it would be even better if JR himself return Pilgu to DB. It is the right thing to do.

Exactly. 

The reality is that no matter how intelligent PG is, he is still a kid and a boy kid at that. Emotionally he is all over the place. I understand his insecurity... not helped by a certain Ms Kwak of course... but temper tantrums should not decide the course of his life. Besides he's going to Seoul only because he feels unwanted not because this is the best course of action for his future as an 18 year old to further his baseball ambitions.

I don't have any objections to PG having some kind of relationship with JR down the track even if I'm always critical of JR and his MO. The odd visit to Seoul now and again etc. I can see that JR really wants to be a father to both PG and Rebecca. But he was trying to fight two battles on three/four fronts and that never ends well. Not to mention exhausting. Like always KJR has terrible timing. Partly because he tends to be rash and impulsive, acting and speaking before thinking. If good intentions alone can resolve problems, the world would be a much more harmonious and livable place. The problem is that his good intentions seem to end up creating more problems than solving them. He compounds problems and creates new ones because he doesn't think through his "solutions" properly.

My opinion is that this is not a good time for JR to be bringing PG into the fold. With all this hostility around his marriage, I'm not sure if taking PG taking his chances with the Joker isn't better.

To be fair, the OTP need to stop sitting on their hands with regard to this. They are clear about each other (which is good) but they need to give clarity to the 8-year-old who has no idea what the devil is going on. Ms Kwak of course added fuel to the fire but if PG knew that he wasn't being abandoned and was secure in knowing his mother still loves him, he didn't need to take such drastic action out of exasperation. The lack of real communication all round is a serious issue.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

@40somethingahjumma said:-

She's still doing her prima donna shtick so it doesn't bode well.  If PG thinks that he's unloved now wait till he has to share space and oxygen with Jessica. Who knows... maybe the experience will help him appreciate and understand his mother better. We live in hope.

OH YEA~

I concur. She's a prima donna alright with a capital P & so is Pil Gu (ha pun intended) He acted like a wayward child but I get where he's comin' from. His possessiveness over Dong Baek is 'cause she's all he's ever known & bein' an only son, he takes on the patriarch role as well as child so it's a lot for a 8 y.o. Maybe we can only hope indeed LoL. All I do know is Pil Gu will not take any crap from Jessica lying down, unlike Dong Baek so I'm looking forward to see how this all plays out.

@40somethingahjumma also said:-

To be fair, the OTP need to stop sitting on their hands with regard to this. They are clear about each other (which is good) but they need to give clarity to the 8-year-old who has no idea what the devil is going on. Ms Kwak of course added fuel to the fire but if PG knew that he wasn't being abandoned and was secure in knowing his mother still loves him, he didn't need to take such drastic action out of exasperation. The lack of real communication all round is a serious issue.

That's the thing with majority of K-Dramas I've watched! They don't talk until everything blows up to take action which is too late. I mean I understand safety is a major concern now with the Joker targeting anyone gettin' close to Dong Baek so the adults feel it's not suitable for a child to know well..adult stuff LoL.

@htk9207 said:-

And speaking of HS why does he make me feel he isn't guilty of harming anyone but simply guilty by association?

My thoughts too.. he especially didn't like how Dong Baek's mom kept emphasising on him sharing the same eyes as his dad. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I concur. She's a prima donna alright with a capital P & so is Pil Gu (ha pun intended) He acted like a wayward child but I get where he's comin' from. His possessiveness over Dong Baek is 'cause she's all he's ever known & bein' an only son, he takes on the patriarch role as well as child so it's a lot for a 8 y.o. 

To be honest Pilgu reminds me so much of JR when he's angry because the boy has his dad's temper. Both father and son love DB, there's no question about that. But the difference with Pilgu and his dad is that Pilgu cherishes his mom and was hurt upon believing he is a burden to her. While JR's thoughts are centered more about himself. Like the way he worded his sentiments to DB before like why his son has to live in a bar and worry about money. He did the same thing with Pilgu when he asked him to live with him, the reason he gave is so that Pilgu could like him. It always is about him. So I hope Pilgu won't stay away from DB for long. :unsure:

• Like 5

November 14, 2019

Ratings: "When the Camellia Blooms" Passes 20%

Source: ISplus via HanCinema.net

The KBS 2TV drama "When the Camellia Blooms" rated 17.9% - 20%, which is 1.9% higher than the previous episodes.

The drama has been on a constant rise and setting a new record. With three more episodes to go, attention is focused on whether it'll be able to beat the existing record of "Liver or Die" (22.7%).

At the same time, SBS drama "Secret Boutique" rated 2.8% - 3.2%, which is 0.8% lower than before, and MBC drama "Extraordinary You" dropped 0.5% to 2.9% - 3.1%. TvN drama "Miss Lee" rated 2.5%.

Source: Soompi

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 4

Dropping by to say that Pilgu is my favorite boy here. I understand Yongshik is pure, Dongbeak, as well, but my favorite of all characters is Pilgu, as he got more charms & charisma than anyone else imho. Next tI feel soft with is Dongbaek’s mom, and surpringly Gyun-tae is such a cutie lol

I am more looking forward to some emotional heartbreaking but also heartwarming scenes between Pilgu & his mom.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, jughead2000 said:

my favorite of all characters is Pilgu, as he got more charms & charisma than anyone else imho. Next tI feel soft with is Dongbaek’s mom, and surpringly Gyun-tae is such a cutie lol

I understand what you mean. It's testament to the writer's and director's value for all the characters in the story because even the secondary characters shine, and they aren't just one-dimensional characters either. They have personality and they can stand alone separate from the main characters.  

My favorite is Ja-yeong out of all of them but I also love Pilgu. He makes more sense that his parents. He's smarter than them. No Gyu-tae without the flaws would have been perfect for me too. Hahaha but I suspect I love him because of Oh Jungse. 

@bedifferent OMG those photos of the Ong-vengers! I'm digging the flower print track suit. :lol: Love that she was so extra in flower prints while the others were in plain colors, and that the one in blue was cartwheeling. 

• Like 8

Episode 18

Favorite Scenes

• "I'm not remarrying." - Noh Gyutae awwwww
  • Pilgu being smart: "If I'm going to be anyone's burden, it'll be better to be yours." :star: Even if he went to Seoul because he mistakenly thought he's being a burden to Dongbaek, this line shows he's making sense. It's a painful period in his life but I'm glad he's facing everything head on, unlike his parents. The experience will change him for sure, but I think it's part of growing up. I'm proud of Pilgu.
  • The kid watching Jessica cry in the elevator :lol:
  • "It's the kidney, idiot." :lol:
  • Jayeong being cheeky about the 94% accuracy of lie detector tests hahahahaha
  • Jessica and Pilgu's agreement. "Share house" is cold but the agreement is simple, straightforward, honest. It's a start. No evil stepmother. "Let's just live comfortably." Plus points when she said, "You can ask me for food without feeling bad" and "Treat me like a lunch lady or something." 
  • "But I heard the lunch ladies went on a strike." - Pilgu hahaha
  • I WAS LAUGHING SO HARD WHEN DONGBAEK'S MOM TOOK ADVANTAGE OF AN EMOTIONAL SITUATION TO PUSH DEOKSUN TO LET YONGSIK AND DONGBAEK DATE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Dongbaek's mom was like, "You made a mistake. How will you make up for that? You like to be generous but you can't bear to stay indebted, right?" :lol: I'M DYING.
  • DID WE JUST HEAR A VOICE OVER OF ADULT PILGU? :glasses: I'm here for it. 
  • ADULT PILGU OMG

Thoughts

• "Did you ask for my opinion when you gave birth to me?" - Pilgu said this out of anger but this made me think about so many parents forgetting their children didn't ask to be born. Just a general observation.
  • I'm glad that Deoksun is feeling guilty over Pilgu. Serves her right. 
  • I'm fine with Dongbaek and Yongsik breaking up because I know it's just temporary. It's not really the best time for them to be together, or at least to be showy about it, knowing how Pilgu feels. Adults have to respect the child's feelings. Pilgu will come around when he's a little older. I mean, they can just date in secret although it's not possible, what with living in Ongsan and all lol
  • Also, I don't like that they made the breakup so emotional. It could have been an adult conversation where Dongbaek tells Yongsik about Pilgu's feelings and they both agree to take a break for now but it's not totally over because they still love each other, and that they just need to wait. If Yongsik is okay with waiting, then good. 
  • It's good that Pilgu is with Dongbaek again but I hope there could be more Jessica and Pilgu scenes not for Pilgu's sake but for Jessica. Maybe having Pilgu around will do Jessica good.
  • I hope this time Jungryeol understands what he needs to do so he can fix everything... but if he doesn't then well... lol his loss 

Major progress in the investigation. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The ending of ep.18 is so heartbreaking :bawling:

18 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Why? It is because she thinks, her son will feel neglected?

Well, PG expressed it clearly why the adults only think about marrying. He also accused DB of lying to him because she once told him she only needs him in her life, that's all, nothing else, yet now she wants to be with YS too. DB decided that she wants to be first and foremost a good mother to PG, not a woman to another man.

The end of ep.18 we see a grown-up PG in suit talking on the phone with his mother. He was answering her questions whether he has eaten or not. But we don't know whether DB actually is with YS or not. I thought we have a time jump already, but preview still showing present time, mostly about DB's mother and surgery.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4