[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 25-26

by quirkycase

wtcb13-00215.jpg

Misfortunes abound this hour as things start coming to a head. Sometimes it takes the ish hitting the fan to realize what’s important and do something about it. For some it may be too late, but others find the courage to decisively stand for the future they want.

EPISODE 25: “The End of All the Flirting”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/11/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-25-26/

• Like 7

On 10/31/2019 at 11:19 AM, bebebisous33 said:

The arsonist is HS's father and HS is aware of his father's action hence he tries to stop his father by locking the doors. However, I have the impression that the arsonist and the joker could be two different persons.

I think the arsonist and joker are 2 different persons too.  I don't know if it is both HS and his father to keep the theme of family going in this drama.

I noticed that the father has a wheelchair in his room.  He often is seen sitting so there must be an accident somewhere in the past so not sure if he is still handicapped.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 10.06.35 AM

On 10/31/2019 at 3:08 PM, Heretorant said:

I felt really bad for Dong-Baek’s mother. I believe she seeked Dong-Baek because she’s already accepted her death will come soon. Like she’s said this whole time, she wants to do at least one thing for her. I know she abondoned Dong-Baek but I can’t help feeling sorry for her. 

Dong Baek's mom made the hard decision of letting DB be cared for by the children center cuz she was not capable of providing for her.  I think this is why we were set up for the meeting between her and Deok Soon.  Deok Soon's love for her family willed her already strong character to do whatever it takes to live on (just like Dong Baek).  Jeong Suk tried her best but couldn't protect herself or Dong Baek from the abuse thus she gives her daughter up for DB's sake.  This is not to say she loved her any less, more that she is a different woman driven by different circumstances.  Tis why I love this show.  How each mother struggled and endured (wrinkles and all) for the love of their children.  I super love how someone mentioned that DB casted a spell on YS while he was in his mom's womb.:D

Dong Baek doesn't quite comprehend Jeong Suk's intentions yet.  It is understandable to be angered and hurt by what her mother does.  I sympathize with Jeong Suk a lot because it is true what your said.  She knows she is in renal failure, needs a kidney, but refuse to ask Dong Baek for the transplant.  She wanted to spend time with her daughter and not wanting it to be out of that obligation, thus she kept it a secret.   It's just to say how we as children underestimate the vast love our parents always have for us.

On 10/31/2019 at 4:41 PM, lu09 said:

So everyone wanted to kill HM that night. But whose blood was it that was on GT car wheels? It can't be him since he was drunk. Did HM drove him home that night or was it JY who came to pick him up?

I think HM doesn't know how to drive?  She is too poor to have had a car.  Someone used his car that night, the blood may not be HM.  HM was brought into someone's home so she has to go willingly with someone she recognized.  

So busy this week so have to be back to say something later.

I do want to give props to the writer for coming up with the character of Hyang Mi.  A complex role that was played nicely by Son Dambi :heart:  The Joker drives the mystery plot for this drama but Hyang Mi was often the vector that enable us to dive into many storylines and changed so many of our characters' lives.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

There are two things about the show that I am keen to find out.

While I'm not very interested in the identity of the Joker (sorry friends!) and I think it's largely a distraction, I am however interested in why this latest attack on Dong-baek occurred. Why now? Is it related to HM's death? We assume that the Joker is at work because that's what the cops or everyone else does. That's what we're led to believe.

For six years nothing happened. The serial killer... so-called... didn't strike. So why now after six years, DB almost falls prey to an attempt on her life?

To me the timing is everything. What has changed? Or did something 6 years ago to halt the perpetrator's activities.

Well, there's Yong-shik's appearance and highly public wooing of DB. Then there's also the insertion of KJR, Pil-gu's birth father into the story.

It could be as has been speculated that there is misogynistic, superstitious character at work who is railing against this disruption. The disturbed mind  behind this believes that single mothers who were orphaned should know their place... they should remain downtrodden and marginalized and not to be at the centre of so much attention. She/They should know their place in the community. Hence the ominous warnings to not "cross the line". This person believes that such women are "unlucky" and are not entitled to any kind of goodwill or happiness. It is an extreme position to take but the undercurrents were always there although manifested in various forms eg. sexual harassment, bullying by the neighbourhood ajummas etc

This would of course explain a lot to me. This constant badgering of DB and her life as being pitiful or pathetic from many quarters has always felt to me like a form of brainwashing. If you keep telling someone that they can't be better than what they are or that they can't enjoy a tiny bit of happiness because of their background or social status... it's a form of social control. Everyone stays in their place and society will hum along peacefully as it always has. For the elites at least... or until the plebs revolt.

At the end of the day I believe the Joker arc does tie in quite well with all the other social themes of the drama. It may have started off apparently disjointed but the show is doing a really good job bringing all the elements together. 

The other thing that's become interesting is how the OTP will navigate through the rough weather ahead. I expect to see some serious pushback not just from Ms Kwak either. It's also fascinating that the male lead has proposed marriage so early on in the show so the trick I imagine will be how the two of them will keep it together. I have been pleasantly surprised by DB so far in that she embraced the engagement as readily as she did. She really wants to be with YS. What was hilarious was how she told YS to be more "strategic" with his mother. She hasn't backflipped at all but she's understandably being circumspect. His answer was the same as mine... "If I were calculating and strategic, would the prettiest woman in Ongsan have fallen for me?" That's the perceptive side of YS very much at play despite the outward naivete.

I want them to hold steady for obvious reasons. But for storytelling reasons, I want to see how the show handles this early engagement without going down the makjang trek. Although it's unfair in some ways, I'd like to see DB fight tooth and nail for her own happiness and not back down. It would be refreshing and something I think this show could do really well because it has already laid the foundations for it. After the proposal I'm not as worried about YS holding his ground. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Don't think DB's mom meant what she said to the doctor. She was just pretending (for conversation sake) when in fact she didn't even want to continue with follow up consultations.

I hope DB won't regret leaving her mother.. if she finds out the true (and likely good) intention after he mom passed, it will make DB have regrets forever :bawling:

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The disturbed mind  behind this believes that single mothers who were orphaned should know their place... they should remain downtrodden and marginalized and not to be at the centre of so much attention. She/They should know their place in the community. Hence the ominous warnings to not "cross the line". This person believes that such women are "unlucky" and are not entitled to any kind of goodwill or happiness.

Does this apply only to DB though? Do we know if the other previous victims are from single parent family, or orphaned? 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Does this apply only to DB though? Do we know if the other previous victims are from single parent family, or orphaned? 

Good question. I don't know. ;) What I think is that there are at least 2 people causing the chaos.

But it doesn't have to be individuals connected to single parent families or orphans that are being targeted. They could be people who are just at the fringes of society who can be construed as being "unlucky" for whatever reasons. Those whose lives are more difficult than everyone else's.

That's my theory for whatever it's worth. ;)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I noticed that the father has a wheelchair in his room.  He often is seen sitting so there must be an accident somewhere in the past so not sure if he is still handicapped.

What if he sustained injuries when he jumped off the window at the spa after the sprinklers turned on? That's why he uses a wheelchair and the killings stopped after that. 

6 hours ago, bedifferent said:

the blood may not be HM.

Wild guess lol but I've always thought the red stain on the steering wheel is from the kimchi future governor of Ongsan Hong Ja-yeong's mom gave Gyu-tae.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Insightful 3

21 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Anyway, I have the impression that the Joker is someone related to the arsonist, HS's father. The father resents women and so does the serial killer.  

Which raises the question:  what happened to HS' mother?  Does her lack of presence have anything to do with their current situation or explain his love for fire/hate for women?

@40somethingahjumma Deok Soon is overprotective toward Yong Shik... think it's more than just bias against DB.  It's PTSD, a trauma she never really did given a chance to reconcile and get over.  Seeing her running to the hospital reliving the pain, I see a woman hanging on to her son as the last connection she has with her deceased husband.  One of the reasons why YS is precious to Deok Soon.   Her husb paid money for YS' name, the last things he did as an expectant father.  Raising YS is an obligation Deok Soon has toward her ex husband so she wants nothing (or no one with bad luck) to hurt this promise she made toward him.

@lollyminx ohhhh great ideas LOL.  I feel like the stature of the killer who killed the esthetician is not of an old man. He was lean and quick.  This old man, he looks more like the shadowy figure in white tennis shoes who walked into Camelia.  The person who set the marketplace fire, he moved like a young person too.  There must be two different people?

BTW, did you notice that HM may have delivered the takeout?  The dishes were shown in this scene.  She made it to the fishing/lake house so NGT and Jessica didn't kill her.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 4.04.27 PM

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

Did the two moms run into each other in the same town?  Because I thought DB moved there because it was somewhere KR once lived, not somewhere from her own past. I have to go back to see.

I'd hate to do this to Dong Baek, but could wheelchair man be her father?  Or related to her somehow?  And the mother's past as 'legally' the mother of that woman and her siblings, though she herself says she was the cleaner...that was a new and curious twist as well.  Did the mother inherit, she's dying from kidney disease, so a real or adopted sibling next in line to inherit wants to kill off Dongbaek?  I mean, I don't think so, but I do think all of this is going to twine together into something more personal to Dongbaek.

One more: it's possible wheelchair man was the original Joker but got injured 6 years ago so the serial killing stopped.  Moreover, Dongbaek was never targeted in those six years although she was a possible witness.  What has changed?  One possibility of a number: the mother showed up, wanting to do "one last thing" for her daughter before she dies.  This will likely be monetary and could be an inheritance.

So we get a copycat killer (HS?) who sets up the killings like the Joker so that when DB dies, she's just one victim among many, no one suspects she was the main target.

Just some possibilities!

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

On 11/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

For six years nothing happened. The serial killer... so-called... didn't strike. So why now after six years, DB almost falls prey to an attempt on her life?

To me the timing is everything. What has changed? Or did something 6 years ago to halt the perpetrator's activities.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:37 PM, lollyminx said:

What if he sustained injuries when he jumped off the window at the spa after the sprinklers turned on? That's why he uses a wheelchair and the killings stopped after that. 

What if...

HS' dad stopped his killing either because he had health issues after leaving Camellia bar.  We think he stopped by the bar after the OK esthetics killing (she didn't recognize him) and graffiti-ed the wall.  After that night, he fell ill due to the pesticide.  Pesticide are known to cause nerve damages... HS' father has to rely on wheelchair from there on. When YS cleaned Camellia's wall, HS spotted the msg, realized DB was the witness to his father's last killing so he burned the msg to erase evidence.  HS helps his father eliminate the last eyewitness, Dong Baek. :lol:

Hyo Jin posted.  

#mom

The cast share the same sweatshirt

The Ongsan sisters

• Like 12
  • Insightful 2

November 5, 2019

"When the Camellia Blooms" Returns to Top Spot in Good Data Report

By William Schwartz on HanCinema.net

After two weeks in the number two position, "When the Camellia Blooms" has reclaimed the number one position in the Good Data Report, which was compiled from October 28th to November 3rd. The Good Data Corporation makes the Good Data Report by measuring social media trends to see which of the currently airing dramas and performers are the most popular.

The spike is most likely due to dramatic events in the story. Kang Ha-neul, who went up three spots to number six for performers, proposed to Gong Hyo-jin, who went up one spot to number two. "Extraordinary You" continues to perform strongly, holding number two for dramas. It still has three performers in the top ten - Rowoon is number three, Kim Hye-yoon is number five, and Lee Jae-wook is number eight.

Seo Ji-hoon of "Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency" has now held the top spot for performers in the Good Data Report for a seventh straight week. The drama ranks as number three overall with no other performers in the top ten. Seo Ji-hoon's success in this regard is particularly surprising, as he is listed third in the overall casting list, though the drama is more of an ensemble piece than one with two traditional leads.

Written by William Schwartz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2