[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

4 hours ago, 1ouise said:

This scene has me curious.  DB asks about "oppa."  Who is he??

I forgot about this scene! It's nice you brought it up. It's another issue that needs to be resolved in the remaining episodes. 

3 hours ago, milkypeony said:

something that bugs me to no end is how DB relates to YS? i feel like the whole time they're together she's always talking about her problems and DB doesnt really do a lot for YS?

I feel the same especially when Jong-ryeol was at Camellia and he was belittling Yong-sik (Deok-sun was outside and she could hear everything cause she walked Pil-gu home), and Dong-baek didn't even say anything to defend Yong-sik. She didn't stop Jong-ryeol and tell him to leave. She just sat there when Yong-sik has always done the opposite for Dong-baek. I love this drama and of course I want Yong-sik to be happy with Dong-baek but I've always thought there are some unhealthy parts of their relationship that are hurting Yong-sik more than Dong-baek. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, milkypeony said:

the whole of episode 16 i was really annoyed with DB too. entering an abandoned building is one thing (and yall already said everything i feel about it hahaha) but something that bugs me to no end is how DB relates to YS? i feel like the whole time they're together she's always talking about her problems and DB doesnt really do a lot for YS? maybe the writers found it superfluous to include into the story but i really wish we could see DB reciprocating the level of care and love YS shows to her, besides just saying "i like you" and "i love you". like omg when YS slept over and dude didn't even get a proper pillow and blanket to sleep with????? i know she's sick but couldnt she tell him where to get a pillow........... hahahahaha:no_mouth: do any of you have any bits i missed out where DB shows affection to YS?

You mean like this... ;)

Or this...

Spoiler

Plus she's super super keen to have babies with him, don't you think?

• Like 9
  • Love 1

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 29-30

by quirkycase

wtcb15-00007.jpg

Today’s episodes are all about mothers and the lengths they’ll go for their children. Being a mother is never easy, but some have worse luck than others and have to fight harder to provide for their kids. We focus on two fiercely protective mothers who will do just about anything to secure their children’s futures, even if that means making some enemies.

EPISODE 29: “Mother”

camellia15-00034.jpgcamellia15-00033.jpg

Sitting atop the wall outside the Camellia is a green lighter which Yong-shik pockets when Dong-baek shows up. Yong-shik worriedly asks where she’s been, but she just throws herself in his arms and sobs.

After she calms down, she wonders why her “revenge” is hurting her so much. Yong-shik rants that she shouldn’t feel bad—what kind of mother asks for a kidney from the child she abandoned? When he angrily says someone like that isn’t even a person, she lightly smacks him. “Are you insulting my mom right now?” Ha.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/11/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-29-30/

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

November 12, 2019

Terrestrial channels' drama series outnumbers cable TV in viewership

SEOUL, Nov. 12 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's major terrestrial broadcasters, such as KBS, MBC and SBS, have been too weak to withstand the onslaught of well-made and eye-catching dramas aired by cable channels, like tvN and JTBC.

They have lost viewers to big-name TV series, like the fantasy romance drama "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God" (2017) by tvN and the black comedy "Sky Castle" (2019) by JTBC. Those shows' audience shares both surpassed 20 percent, far outpacing all TV programs in the same time slot.

Such media landscape has continued for years, forcing the major stations to cut unpopular programs and production costs.

Recently, however, there seems to be a sign that the struggling broadcasters could be regaining the edge over their cable TV rivals.

This image, provided by KBS, shows a scene from "When the Camellia Blooms." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This image, provided by KBS, shows a scene from "When the Camellia Blooms." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The newest series from KBS and SBS have helped the broadcasters to take the lead in the weekday prime nighttime competition in terms of viewership ratings.

On Monday and Tuesday, SBS' mystery drama "VIP," a story of a Seoul department store's team who works for VIP clients, touched 9.1 percent on Nov. 5, while KBS' historical series "The Tale of Nokdu" hovered around 7 percent in viewership.

"When the Camellia Blooms," a romantic comedy from KBS, overwhelmed the Wednesday-Thursday table with a daily viewership of 18 percent on Thursday. SBS' thriller "Secret Boutique" and MBC's "Extraordinary You" came in next with 4 percent and 3.6 percent, respectively.

On the weekend, KBS blockbuster "Vagabond," starring Lee Seung-gi and Bae Suzi, tops the viewership table with 11 percent last week.

Meanwhile, tvN and JTBC have been losing ground on small screen.

Crime drama "Catch the Ghost," airing on Monday and Tuesday on tvN, posted 2.7 percent in viewership of its latest episode, while JTBC's historical drama, "Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency," which wrapped up last week, saw its numbers remain at 3 percent or lower throughout its 16 episodes.

In the weekends, tvN's fantasy romance "Melting Me Softly" fared the worst, marking 1.8 percent in viewership last week.

Some say that the broadcasters' monthslong efforts to reduce big-budget drama productions and focus on fresh, well-rounded pieces spurred young viewers to stop surfing channels and stick with their programs.

"Terrestrial TV stations have successfully honed in on the new retro-style trend among young people," culture critic Kim Heon-sik said. "For example, 'When the Camellia Blooms' appeals both to old TV viewers and youngsters, who rarely watch TV."

But he noted that there is still a long way to go for them to get closer to their heyday as the media trend is rapidly changing against the conventional TV channels.

"They have to draw up detailed plans to concentrate on a selected few projects and keep their ear to the ground," he said. "They are big, maybe too big to swiftly keep up with the trend."

brk@yna.co.kr

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

These are precious.  HyoJin posted.

Pil Gu :heart: Dong Baek

Spoiler

Mister Peanuts...

There is hope that Dad and Mom will work things out for Pil Gu.^^

New poster

Them. They. Too adorable.

Spoiler

I think they have wrapped up filming

Spoiler

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

It's Camellia Day again:)

I've been rewatching a couple episodes back and kept comparing the suspect calling hospital scene to the scene where HS father's face was shown for the very first time. Others already responded that it's the same person but after looking closely I still feel they're different persons. The half face shown is much fairer in complexion and has stubble beard while HS appa is darker in complexion and no facial hair. I'll just wait and see whether I am right or wrong about this. Because the wound or scratch on his wrist was only shown once.  I bet that scratch wound was made by HM it still looked fresh to me. The one with that scratch wound is our Joker. 

• Like 7

I just read that Son Dam Bi will be co-hosting the KBS Awards show later this year. I hope that’s a sign “Camellia” will be sweeping lots of awards soon and we’ll get to see a lot of the cast members there! 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Dumdoc said:

I just read that Son Dam Bi will be co-hosting the KBS Awards show later this year. I hope that’s a sign “Camellia” will be sweeping lots of awards soon and we’ll get to see a lot of the cast members there! 

I feel confident the show will win for Best Drama, Best Supporting Character, Best Couple, Outstanding Actor, and Actress. If there is Child Actor award then Pilgu will get one,too. Hope Writernim and PD wins as well. :D

• Like 9

Episode 17

Favorite Scenes

• Neighborhood ahjummas, Ongsan Avengers! :glasses:
  • The captain defending Yong-sik, and Yong-sik getting emotional because of that. 
  • Love the colorful track suits of the neighborhood ahjummas (like Power Rangers), and the star ahjumma actress we all like is in flower patterns. 
  • "I'm sorry for making you act like a mother." - Gyu-tae
  • I knew it! As soon as Noh Gyu-tae requested that he decide the last three questions and to let his lawyer (ex-wife) inside the interrogation room, I knew he'd want to be asked about how he feels about her. :lol: Ain't that freaking cute?! :heart:
  • "And honey, I want you to get ready to sue the country." - No Gyu-tae hahahahaha
  • Pilgu deciding for himself because between him and his parents, it's Pilgu who's making the most sense that he has to make a firm decision while his parents fight and can't come to an agreement. 

Thoughts

• See that. If you don't handle things at once, everything will go out of control. Jessica and Jung-ryeol's going to be dragged into the case as joker because of lazy richard simmons detectives. This wouldn't have happened if Jungryeol fixed everything early on. That way, Hyang-mi wouldn't have thought she could blackmail him, and they wouldn't have a connection that detectives would find suspicious. 
  • One of the themes of this show is how prejudice shapes people's lives in the way that it did Hyangmi's and Dong-baek's. This episode shows that prejudice is affecting Pilgu too. Ex. hearing Deoksun say that about Dongbaek being a single mother with a child as a burden yeeeeesh. Everything would have been fine and Pilgu wouldn't have to feel like he has to protect his mom all the time, or hate Yongsik being in their lives if they lived in a society that was open to things like this. I still believe Pilgu will come through though. He's hurting but he's strong and also smart. His parents just need to get their stuff together. He wouldn't also be this hurt if Jungryeol wasn't such an richard simmons who only thinks about what he wants or if Dongbaek wasn't so oblivious. She's so clueless sometimes it's... ugh. 
  • Pilgu talking to Yongsik's mom is heartbreaking. 
  • I think Heungsik is refusing the DNA test because he thinks his father did something and that he could be suspected cause they share DNA

• Like 15
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

LMFAo @Ongsan Avengers:w00t: and yikes the people of Ongsan tend to speak very L O U D L Y<_<

The police force in my country should learn from Yong Shik tbh. Maybe then there'd be less crime here. He takes only months where others require years to solve a case ha-ha. That's dedication for ya;) I felt Dong Baek's anguish when she wailed in agony over Hyang Mi's death... kudos to Hyo Jin for pullin' off an emotional scene so well. Her brother is just..scum:angry:

Poor Pil Gu.. all he ever wanted was stability that's all. Not all these grandiose overtures like toys and such. Gosh everytime the lil guy cries, I'm like the Ongsan ahjummas I feel helpless as well..:( I'm really disappointed in Yong Shik's mom, how could she be so tactless & insensitive!??!:P She should know better than anyone what it's like to raise a child single handedly. Her character's inconsistent it's frustrating:rolleyes: 

Then we have Jessica aish LoL. I wonder if she's truly genuine in taking Pil Gu in? As if. I wasn't surprised when she refused to divorce, she's so unlikable to me still:P And the cheek her mom has for beating & threatening Jong Ryeol! When she manipulated Jessica to do the same tsk. 

I'm laughing hard when Mr. Noh started spewing nonsense no one looked up  but when Yong Shik spoke, everyone paid attention:w00t::lol:  

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

A few quick thoughts:

- When Jessica's mom saw Jong-Ryeol, she said, "Son-in-law Jang, no I mean, Son-in-law Kang" - I do not recall if this was translated in the Netflix subtitles, but I could hear it in Korean. Something's up.

- I'm going to give where credit is due. JR is being mature for the first time ever. He did not threaten to take PG away this time, he really seems to just want to help DB out - he's finally being a good co-parent. PG really does need to get away from Ongsan for a while because of the danger posed by the SERIAL KILLER who recently killed Hyang-Mi. I'm glad JR stepped up here.

JR can be a bonehead, but he does have fatherly instincts. I think he will figure it out and finally give true friendship to DB that she's always needed from him.

- Loved the neighborhood ladies in their track suits ready to fight, looking out for DB.

This show remains thoroughly enjoyable despite the grisly stuff, which is a feat in itself. Even though I feel sorry for Hyang-Mi, I loved how everything is so well-thought out - about how these witnesses are involved on the night of the killing and how everything comes together.

- Loved Yong-Shik's puppy eyes when Chief stuck up for him.

- Pil-Gu... this boy breaks my heart and stomps on it in each episode.

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

@chickfactor I haven’t seen today’s episode yet, but I wanted to pop in and say that I’m pleased to read your thoughts on JR and Pil Gu. JR isn’t perfect, but I have always appreciated how much he does want to be Pil Gu’s father and have been hoping that he’ll eventually get that chance with Pil Gu. Who knew that the opportunity would present itself with the serial killer running amuck in Ongsan. I can’t wait to get off work and watch tonight.

P.S. I love Pil Gu.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

One of the things I appreciate greatly about this show is how it demonstrates so well that choices have consequences and living out reality is hard. Individual freedom is important but what happens when our freedom to act impinges on those of others? That's where communication and negotiation comes in. At least it should. ;)

The ending where Pil-gu states that he wants to go live with his dad exemplifies so well why we don't really let children make big decisions. No matter how intelligent a child is, he lacks experience and a broader perspective on life. However when the adults in his/her life are incapable of coming to some agreement or compromise it often behooves the child to move past the stalemate. It is a sorry state of affairs. I'm glad the show doesn't skirt the potential difficulties of blended families etc. There's no point in being idiotically rigid when there's children to think about especially when it starts feeling like a "pissing contest".

That said, I am fine with PG going off with JR at this point because of the Joker threat. But only for that and as a short-term solution. As a long-term solution it... to use the vernacular... sucks bad. Very bad. It doesn't resolve any of the fundamental issues underlying the problems in this blended dynamic. PG now sees himself as a burden and unwanted, YS will also now see himself in that light or as the wedge between mother and son. Ms Kwak, whom I believe has a conscience will have this weighing on her forever... if nothing beyond the fact that PG left in a huff is resolved. Of course Dong-baek will fall back on her default position and blame herself for being "too greedy".

This isn't a solution but a terrible trade-off in which everybody loses. Even KJR... who can barely hold his own life in Seoul together especially with Jessica breathing threats down his neck and stubbornly refusing to let go.

Ms Kwak says that she is thinking about YS but honestly is she? It is telling from the way she frames the conflict that it's about her... what she wants for YS. She is living vicariously through her son. He doesn't have a problem with PG or with DB as a single mother so it isn't about him. Last week we were ask to buy the fact that mothers love their kids and will do anything for them. I'm willing to buy the fact that mothers sacrifice a great deal with their kids... although in the long run it isn't really sacrifice... it's just what mothers do so their kids will become responsible adults functioning in society and then they know what to do when they have their own children. But there is a line that shouldn't be crossed otherwise you end up infantilizing your children. We see that with Jessica's mother, Gyu-tae's mother and sadly even to some degree Ms Kwak. The justification that mother is just protecting her children or doing her best for them becomes hollow when your child cannot function as a healthy individual in society. He or she will be tethered to mother's apron strings. Ultimately it is a form of unhealthy control that the mother in question exerts over her children which produces dysfunctional adults.

I get it. People want life to be simple and straightforward. Don't we all? But the reality is that life isn't simple. Certainly not in our time at least. Simple solutions only work when tyranny is enforced. If there's no space for dissent then people lose their individual freedom and we lose our ability to prosecute our belief or learn how to negotiate with differences.

Jessica is an interesting microcosmic caricature on some level of what happens when identity politics becomes rampant. Aside from the obsession with entitlement that comes through, she constantly paints herself as a victim and doesn't believe that she can be better than what she is. It is low self-esteem with a twist. You get your kicks out of feeling bad about yourself and there's no incentive to move on. She's getting attention as Mrs KJR... which is what she wants even if the attention is negative. It's easier for her to blame others for rocking her comfort zone then to re-examine what it is that's wrong with the foundations that she's been building on. Just when you think she's gained some level of self-awareness, she defaults to what's familiar. 

The person who is impressing me most at the moment is, quite surprisingly, GT. When I think of where he was before and where he is now, the progress is heartening. It's what I had hoped and the show hasn't disappointed. He hasn't changed overnight but his willingness to dig deep and just open up about his own failings is one of the most moving parts of Episode 17. The insightfulness with which he evaluated the dynamic of his failed marriage was amazing. He's been brought low and is now taking responsibility for his part in it. They should have had this conversation a long time ago. Haha... he was adorable in wanting JY to be part of hearing the last three questions of the polygraph test.

The neighbourhood ajummas are such gems. Hilarious and heartwarming. My favourite bit is seeing them in tracky dacks doing warm-ups. Yes, they have their prejudices... everybody does... but when the chips are down they can be relied upon to do the right thing for a member of the family. :D That's why I imagine Dongbaek has so much trouble leaving. She's finally found a place she can call home. People who aren't related to her by blood have got her back. I'm just so glad that they didn't blame her or use the "unlucky narrative" to guilt her.

This show continues to amaze and keep one thinking deeply. It might be a rom com on some level but it doesn't provide rom com answers. (I have to say though that I'm really impressed with the recent spate of K rom coms that I found on Netflix lately.) 

Have I said how much I love Camellias... :D

• Like 5
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I wasn't surprised when she refused to divorce, she's so unlikable to me still:P And the cheek her mom has for beating & threatening Jong Ryeol! When she manipulated Jessica to do the same tsk. 

If I were Jungryeol, I'd call Jessica's bluff and let her take Rebecca for now, then I'll take it to court for custody and proceed with the divorce. I hope he does what he did to Hyangmi and never give in just because of Jessica's threat. Maybe his lawyers can dig up Jessica's past and use it in court. 

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

JR is being mature for the first time ever. He did not threaten to take PG away this time, he really seems to just want to help DB out - he's finally being a good co-parent.

That's true. Plus points for him there. Also, he had perfect timing because while he was telling Dongbaek about taking Pilgu for now, Pilgu made the decision for himself. I'm not keen on the idea but I think that it would also do Pilgu good to try living with Jungryeol now, not only because of the serial killer threat, but also because Jungryeol needs to get to know Pilgu. That way he won't be making selfish decisions without regard for Pilgu's needs. LET'S HOPE Jungryeol changes when he gets to spend time with Pilgu. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

PG really does need to get away from Ongsan for a while because of the danger posed by the SERIAL KILLER who recently killed Hyang-Mi.

I agree, Pilgu needs to be away for a while so he wouldn't be used as a bait by the killer to get to to DB. 

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I am not happy that PG has decided to move in with his father. KJR has it too easy...

I am not happy about this sudden turn, too. But Pilgu needs to live with JR temporarily to decide whether he wants to stay for good with his dad. I bet my money that he won't stay for long due to Jessica's shallow and pretentious ways.

Poor Pilgu only made that hasty decision first because he felt he was no longer his mom's priority when she didn't pick him up. Second,  he heard YS omma saying he is only a burden to DB. (I had posted before that at least she is considerate of Pilgu and will not talk bad of DB in his presence. That scene was really frustating. ) Third, when he couldn't get in his own home that was the final straw. He felt he was no longer wanted. That DB is replacing him with YS. 

I am glad that the writer is addressing this issue. When a single mom starts a relationship, it is always the child/ children that will be the biggest hurdle to overcome for a successful and happy relationship. 

Yongshik has only started his relationship with DB and has not fully bonded with Pilgu. And JR's presence doesn't help but only confuses the kid. Though JR despite being a jerk, only wants the best for his son. So I feel that Pilgu needs to be reassured that he is never a burden to his mom, and that if and when his mom marry Yong Shik, he should realize that he will not be replaced by the husband. Rather having a second dad means another person to love him and protect his mom. :rolleyes:

• Like 12