[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

DontEatMyKimchi

1 hour ago, Winterfairy said:

@Vals Stor I don’t think people has issues with age gap. Because I’m sure there are rich old people looking for younger partners or younger people want to date older and more mature people. I just think that in TV/movies audience want a visually perfect couple lol.

I totally agrees that if a younger actor play JC it wouldn’t work, and doesn’t look the part at all.

For this series, people are really having an issue with Chang Chen age and look.  It has been a debate since the beginning. 

I read every comment regardless if it’s good or bad about this series so it’s whatever with me at this point.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link if you're interest in reading the negative comments.

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/07/love-and-destiny-too-similar-to-ten.html 

Or check out mydramalist for good and bad.

There were people that compare L&D to TMOPB on mydramalist, there was one person that stood out to me because every comments was either characters or scene or storyline comparison and  how L&D didn’t live up to be TMOPB version 2. 

Mostly positive comments on this website that does the recap.

http://dr-myri-blog.blogspot.com/

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@blueclueblue lol someone really took their time to compare the two. (I’m too lazy to read all that comments lol). I see their point, how these dramas have so many similarities. To me it seem like L&D is an improvement of TMoPB. With TMoBP I didn’t like how BQ treated ALi and her character was very aloof. But Ling Xi is different. I love TMoBP the storyline, the set, and the costume. I enjoy all that with L&D, but to me JC x LX love story is more solid, and healthier lol. 

1 hour ago, Vals Stor said:

I still dont get that thing with the age difference. I have watched an Indian drama a couple of years ago, with quite big age gap

between male-female leads, and the woman was older!

I mean, it doesnt matter in real life and so in movies/dramas.

I ll never understand that thing that caused so much complaining when L&D was first announced.

Is there a lifestyle kind of thing in China? To not make relationships with age gap between the couple? In the west is so common nowadays, especially: woman-older&guy younger (and i dont mean younger by a couple of years......5years and more).

On the other hand, even looking at the script of L&D, indeed Chang was a perfect choise when it comes to age. He looks older than 42 years old, and seems right since we ve got a very young fairy and a very old god. It would be odd to see a young boy-looking even younger with makeup on etc

brrrrrrr cringy!

I think the genre of this series is the cause of the age issue.  Most actors/actresses that starred in this type genre are either in their early 20s to 30s, with the requirement of being cute or handsome or just popular. 

I feel that some actors/actresses get handicap when they get to a certain age and the whole industry kind of conditioned people to watch series with younger actors/actresses.  It’s either overdramatic or idol dramas being releases in the recent years.  I don’t watch everything that came out of China so I could be totally wrong on this.   

I think people are more tolerate for age difference for movie and less for TV series, especially China TV series.  I think a lot of HK actors that are in their 50s still pair up with actress in their 30s since most actresses over 30s tends to retire from show business. 

There's older woman/ younger guy relationship, Wong Fei and Nicholas Tse being the most famous and a few other that are not as famous as them.  But usually it’s the other way around, Chen Kaige and his wife, Jiang Wen and his wife.  I am sure there are more but these are just some that I can think of.

I think people just want to pick on Chang Chen and using his age and look as an excuse.  :lol:  Oh well, it's an endless debate.

3 minutes ago, Winterfairy said:

@blueclueblue lol someone really took their time to compare the two. (I’m too lazy to read all that comments lol). I see their point, how these dramas have so many similarities. To me it seem like L&D is an improvement of TMoPB. With TMoBP I didn’t like how BQ treated ALi and her character was very aloof. But Ling Xi is different. I love TMoBP the storyline, the set, and the costume. I enjoy all that with L&D, but to me JC x LX love story is more solid, and healthier lol. 

Yeah and that person watched up to ep 40 or 50 at that point. I'm like why are you still watching if it's such a torturous experience. 

I had so much fun watching TV series while it aired,  people in China surprised me with their positive comments on douban and weibo,.

I think the age gap thing, people will complain no matter what. 

Lots of people honestly watch dramas for the "pretty" looking people and conventionally handsome faces. CC have a mature kind of handsomeness to him that younger audiences/ asian drama audiences are not used to. 

I think they do themselves a disservice to be very blunt if they only look for the people who are easy on the eyes and continue to compare it to everything that is "similar" they miss out on a great drama with original script, convincing love development, amazing acting from the whole cast, and an explosive chemistry between the two leads.

Its annoying to see it being compared to TMOPB because honestly this show is different aside from being set in the same universe, and I dare say far superior in story telling and acting. 

Ni Ni is serving up all sorts of beauty so whatever. 

as long as we love it, the haters can hate and miss out on an amazing experience. 

1 hour ago, blueclueblue said:

For this series, people are really having an issue with Chang Chen age and look.  It has been a debate since the beginning. 

I read every comment regardless if it’s good or bad about this series so it’s whatever with me at this point.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link if you're interest in reading the negative comments.

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/07/love-and-destiny-too-similar-to-ten.html 

Or check out mydramalist for good and bad.

There were people that compare L&D to TMOPB on mydramalist, there was one person that stood out to me because every comments was either characters or scene or storyline comparison and  how L&D didn’t live up to be TMOPB version 2. 

Mostly positive comments on this website that does the recap.

http://dr-myri-blog.blogspot.com/

Oh my! They are referring to people at their 40's as "old age"?

Really now? ok i couldnt even laugh at them, its so weird and silly!

:joy:  (i love that blog, the myri.blogspot.  In her blog i found another one's, cant remember the name.....but When she recaped TROP i was crying my eyes out of laughter! she made me forget all my frustration and tears to the point i was waiting for recaps more than the TROP's next episode hahahahahah. If you happen to know who am i referring to-she is also a blogger but cant remember her at all, just let me know)

1 hour ago, Winterfairy said:

I agree with every single word of yours.

At first i was also a bit sceptical about L&D cause i thought i would see a similar love story. But not at all. Its just the same realms, same environment, the peach forest and thats all. I cant find any other similarities and even the ones that still exist, they re not annoying since they re referring to another couple, so much different.

As a love story, i prefer LX&JC for many reasons. First of all i didnt like BQ as a character (and Yang Mi as an actress) so i felt like ive watched only YeHua's crush going on and him being lovesick the whole time.

Indeed LX and JC have a more solid and healthier kind of relationship that grew up in a more natural way for both of them

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

I think the age gap thing, people will complain no matter what. 

Lots of people honestly watch dramas for the "pretty" looking people and conventionally handsome faces. CC have a mature kind of handsomeness to him that younger audiences/ asian drama audiences are not used to. 

I think they do themselves a disservice to be very blunt if they only look for the people who are easy on the eyes and continue to compare it to everything that is "similar" they miss out on a great drama with original script, convincing love development, amazing acting from the whole cast, and an explosive chemistry between the two leads.

Its annoying to see it being compared to TMOPB because honestly this show is different aside from being set in the same universe, and I dare say far superior in story telling and acting. 

Ni Ni is serving up all sorts of beauty so whatever. 

as long as we love it, the haters can hate and miss out on an amazing experience. 

I will never understand that "hating" thing, really! Especially when it comes to entertainment.

Ok miss/mr X viewer,  you re a moron, you know nothing about acting, your estet instincts are as much developed as a gorilla's but cm'on you dont have to spread your venomous poison everywhere! Live and let people live too!

Want TMOPB? Want NiF? Want Bollywood stuff? Or hollywood? Or a fanatic GoT? Thats ok! Enjoy it and let other people admire what they have to admire. After all, neither Yang Mi cares about my negativity towards her and my criticism to her no acting skills,

nor Chang cares about a bunch of girlies that want him to be younger and look like a plastic doll.

:joy:

Entertainment has a product for everyone's taste. But its really good to see good quality projects once in a while, in categories such as "drama" ones, where quality is very rare. Ok, i can see the huge audience of plastic couples at their 20s but when i watched TROP, i couldnt get over the unique feeling that i had watched such a beautiful work on screen and its sad that these kind of projects dont rise everyday.

I think people of CC and NN's age are more for modern dramas. or rather, thats usually how it goes. But its soooooo refreshing to see an 'older' male character be played by an actually older person. he's seasoned in life as his character is in years. its the perfect match.

can you imagine faces like Yang Yang or Deng Lun being an immortal over 150,000+ years old who has been through it all? no.....you can't...you wouldn't take it seriously and if you do, I'd seriously question your age....

I also read that people say NiNi doesn't have the face for thing type of drama......this type of genre is lucky  to have someone as talented as NiNi be apart of it. 

On 8/28/2019 at 6:42 PM, Winterfairy said:

Rating on Viki went from 8.4 to 9.4 in one day lol.

went on other platforms to ask others to review it since many saw it already (at least 38 eps in english) and rest on youtube raw  to encourage the subbers and to show support for the show.   Saw entire series already but like to see it in english and want more people to enjoy it too.  if you alreaady saw the show or most of it, go ahead and review the show so more people will see it and follow the show on viki to show the big support. there is 900+ people following it now.

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

I think people of CC and NN's age are more for modern dramas. or rather, thats usually how it goes. But its soooooo refreshing to see an 'older' male character be played by an actually older person. he's seasoned in life as his character is in years. its the perfect match.

can you imagine faces like Yang Yang or Deng Lun being an immortal over 150,000+ years old who has been through it all? no.....you can't...you wouldn't take it seriously and if you do, I'd seriously question your age....

I also read that people say NiNi doesn't have the face for thing type of drama......this type of genre is lucky  to have someone as talented as NiNi be apart of it. 

agree that CC and NN were the best choice for these roles.  For me, the plot is different, teh realtionship as many say is healthier and they grow up and mature in their love for each other.  I like how someone said it before is that they both talk out their issues and each misunderstanding is resolved quickly..

6 hours ago, Cammy said:

There are always exceptions to the rule of similar actual age of the actor and his character's age, but it requires a very good makeup team and certain grooming to make a person look older. It also depends on the actor's ability to incarnate a much older character. Sure it helps a lot, when you play a character of similar age, since an actor recalls personal feelings and memories/experiences, to give life to his hero.

But when we're talking in terms of dramas that are shooted in a short while of 3-6 months, and they are products of a huge massive show industry, its very difficult to achieve such thing, even with the best of  intentions.

Personally, even when i was younger, i always preferred and i still do, good actors with a big range of transformation abilities and the talent to give deep performances by studying their character from top to bottom.

Ni Ni is a great example of that kind of acting. She can be a 15 year old in character behavior or a woman in her 40s, cause thats what acting is all about. If you compare her performance in TROP and her performance in L&D you can see clearly that even when in both dramas she had to act as a naive young girl, she did it in a whole different way. 2 different kinds of naivety and pureness in character, performed as if we re talking about 2 different girls-and that s the case.

Sure i dont mind to watch silly things, just to spend my time, but when it comes to quality shows, i need serious acting and dont care about face beauty,  age etc

Serious quality projects require serious qualified actors. And if we have to see Chang's other works, he has many quality movies in his cv, but he also has some b-movies, however, even there, you can see his abilities to perform and save the day.

Another crucial factor is the director. e.g Marc Chao, gave flat performances in his previous works, but in TMOPB he nailed it, and i can "blame" Lin Yufen for that! He was flexible enough to let himself on her hands to shape him in a great Ye Hua. Flexibility improves an actor and helps him dive deep in his character.

Recently i watched a show where the team of L&D was invited to promote the show (the one where Ni Ni is wearing a red dress, and Chang Chen was abroad so he sent a video of him to say a few words).

I saw Ni Ni being very uncomfortable with the whole thing there, especially with that annoying applause of the show's audience, the silly hostess, the even more silly questions and stuff. Clearly, she is not used to such trashy things when it comes to showbiz. 

When i saw her in a much serious interview with the director and some others of the production team, she was indeed herself and very willingly talked about everything concerning the drama.

Im so happy when i see actors behaving like normal people, not willing to be show clowns just to gain fans and popularity. 

7 hours ago, Pyong Hwangpo said:

went on other platforms to ask others to review it since many saw it already (at least 38 eps in english) and rest on youtube raw  to encourage the subbers and to show support for the show.   Saw entire series already but like to see it in english and want more people to enjoy it too.  if you alreaady saw the show or most of it, go ahead and review the show so more people will see it and follow the show on viki to show the big support. there is 900+ people following it now.

Perfect!! This drama deserves more attention.

So happy about Viki finally getting it :D 

I agree with all the comments lol

Just popping in to say I watch bits and pieces of L&D everyday - maybe we can start the rewatch thing once the subs are out on Viki? What say, girls?

And I really love their relationship - right now obsessed with JC turning goofy in the third arc - we get to see so many different sides of him - but I love how unabashedly the stoic God of War pursues LX and what's funny is how "forward" LX herself is (ep 58 she wants to "move in" with him LOL loved that bit and JC's amused expression even though the context was depressing) 

1 minute ago, shimshimae said:

Just popping in to say I watch bits and pieces of L&D everyday - maybe we can start the rewatch thing once the subs are out on Viki? What say, girls?

And I really love their relationship - right now obsessed with JC turning goofy in the third arc - we get to see so many different sides of him - but I love how unabashedly the stoic God of War pursues LX and what's funny is how "forward" LX herself is (ep 58 she wants to "move in" with him LOL loved that bit and JC's amused expression even though the context was depressing) 

Can let do a rewatch together...but god knows how many times i hv rewatched L&D. But i always skip JX part. I seriously fall in love with CC and NN. And wishing everyday they will work in another tv series together.

1 hour ago, Maci_Mettle said:

Can let do a rewatch together...but god knows how many times i hv rewatched L&D. But i always skip JX part. I seriously fall in love with CC and NN. And wishing everyday they will work in another tv series together.

I think there's a general consensus that JX should be skipped :joy:

Spoiler

This is the scene where JC is amused - probably thinking who is seducing who :joy:

Screenshot-at-Aug-30-18-49-23.png

1 hour ago, shimshimae said:

Im in for the rewatch on Viki! After all we already have the other thread (the calendar event) so we can start when Viki uploads the subbed episodes!

LX actually made the first move in everything: 

she was the first who confessed her love to him. She kissed him first -on that bridge where she confessed.

She asked him to move in Conji when they get married (when drunk).

And finally and most important, she made the first move on the bed!

The girl rocks!  

I love female characters who make the first move without playing hard to get, doubting and so on, wasting precious time with their man!

Enough with that matcho type of guy who has to do all the dirty work in a relationship! Every time she was hitting on him, i was like:

GO LX Go! Show that hottie unkle that he found his equal rival in love (and more than equal)

51 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Im in for the rewatch on Viki! After all we already have the other thread (the calendar event) so we can start when Viki uploads the subbed episodes!

LX actually made the first move in everything: 

she was the first who confessed her love to him. She kissed him first -on that bridge where she confessed.

She asked him to move in Conji when they get married (when drunk).

And finally and most important, she made the first move on the bed!

The girl rocks!  

I love female characters who make the first move without playing hard to get, doubting and so on, wasting precious time with their man!

Enough with that matcho type of guy who has to do all the dirty work in a relationship! Every time she was hitting on him, i was like:

GO LX Go! Show that hottie unkle that he found his equal rival in love (and more than equal)

I echo your sentiments - I really like female leads who are no-nonsense go-getters and LX is definitely a shameless pioneer - she admits herself lol - "I know I'm not his equal but no one is, so I don't care" LOL and later during that exile she says she's shameless and won't leave him lol 

Oh God, this drama has set such high expectations now 

@Vals Stor yup we should do that - shift the rewatch to calendar thread - or else this thread (which already doesn't have continuity) will be totally ruined LOL

Archived