[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I AM A LOSER!

WOW! This episode rugged on so many heart strings!!! Had to catch up over 30 pages!!!

Loved little JTE’s bit of sass :heart:

I don’t have too many random thoughts right now but I feel the explanation we are watching of how everything works makes sense. Could there be some inconsistencies? Sure. But the drama also still has a couple episodes left. And to follow up with what @Heretorant said earlier, at the end of the day, it’s magic!

It’s a fantasy drama, so let’s just enjoy the ride and hope the romance that’s part of the story has a happy ending! ❤️

Past LL killing current LL was a nice touch and definitely needed to show how ruthless and unredeemable he really is. I just had a thought about current LL’s dead body. If his dead body is left at the palace, he won’t need to kill his doppelgänger in ROK (I think when LG was at the payphone they just said LG’s doppelgänger drowned?) Probably way over thinking this since there’s 2 episodes left. If there’s no explanation I’ll just assume his body magically evaporated like the flute. :sweat_smile:

• Like 7
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, realistic2280a said:

It was kinda ironic when future LR was killed by his old self... showing how extremely evil he is. He was on a mission to kill his brother and no one, not even his future self is going to stop his evil deeds from happening. Reap what you sow?

LR is greed personified.  Imagine, you cannot even share with yourself, the one who is warning you about your downfall & is out to save you? Idiocy to highest.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

@SweetButters - my wild imagination seems to have hit something, eh?

@mychoiyoungIf you want to say that a 3d object growing in a 4-dimensional space would come out in either worlds as a whole tree then no (at best it would come out like random branches or leaves growing in the air). If we were in the 4d space, we with our 3d perspective, we would see slices of the tree. In order to see a 3d object growing in a 4d space in our current 3d perspective of the world, you would need 4d eyes or something ! But who knows I could be wrong !:joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

6 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

ON LG - I'm going now. Whenever I'm with you. I forget to keep count. <---- SWOOOOOOOOON!

ON TE - I appreciate the consistency in the characterization of TE.  Remember her keen sense of smell?

1. In Epi 1, the police squad discovered the dead body of Lee Sang Do cos she remembered smelling something weird when she intentionally bumped into the car.

2. In Epi 13, she remembered smelling something sweet when she was kidnapped.  Turns out the forest near the warehouse where she was kept is full of cinnamon trees

3. Then in this epi, she smelled the gas from the apartment so they were able to flee from the blast.

Meanwhile,  am I the only one scared of this lady?

She’s creepy AF! Love the consistency with strong female characters though!

I wonder wtf they are going to use the pregnant lady for...

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 6
  • LOL 5

18 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

If his dead body is left at the palace, he won’t need to kill his doppelgänger in ROK

But at that point in time, he was not yet aware of doppelgangers, remember?

btw PM is the smartest. She ensured her mom has a secret code unlike team LG. PM deserves her position as a politician :D

True to form, no one can beat politicians when it comes to self-preservation. Sad reality.

I wonder wtf they are going to use the pregnant lady for...

@Kdramatic I really felt for her when she was crying & begging with creepy scary lady...

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, btsunflower said:

Came out of lurking to join you guys finally, especially since the end is near :bawling: Although I've been lurking (since like page 200), yall best believe I was right there with you guys holding funerals for TE to counting abs on LG in the hospital bed to putting on my clown makeup for theories. 

Episode 14 was one wild ride - I had to keep replaying scenes over and over again cuz I was confuzzled to the max but seriously living for every moment. 

One thing I do want to share about how I understood the timeline. 

Hide contents

I don't know if this will make sense but I'd like to think of it as a singular timeline where the past is basically playing catch up to the present time. But the past is playing out simultaneously in real time with the present. Maybe that's why LG keeps saying I'm coming to you, I'm almost there, etc. And since they're happening simultaneously, we see the new past memories being consolidated to the present time TE in real time. So if this were true, I guess new past LG & OUR LG will consolidate into 1 person once time gets caught up and OUR flute will disappear completely since new past LG will have it.

Also, I think there was someone asking about the balloons. BoD wrote a pretty good theory about it: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2020/06/01/the-king-the-balloons/

Excited to see what KES has in store for us for the last 2 eps. Her mind is brilliant & every plot is unpredictable. I am joining the prayer circle for a happy ending. 

OH AND I LOST LMAO 

& Happy 700+ pages!! Can't believe how LTE this thread has been going... 

1) The fact that you use “LTE” proves you’ve been one of us all along :lol:

2) The fact that you unlurked with a display photo of LR must mean you are among us losers. 

3) Love what you said under the spoilers. I completely agree with you on this: the past is playing catch up with the present. I won’t repeat what you’ve said about LG altering the present while traveling through the past because I can’t say it better. I will add that I believe it to be true throughout the entire drama. I started thinking this since episode 10 when we saw LG visit JTE to bring her flowers. My interpretation: “future LG” (the one who brought flowers) is actually living in the present and we are watching his past. They are one person but we, the audience, are not caught up to the present yet so it seems like there are two LGs. It’s for the sake of showing us what happened. But once we are caught up, there will only be one LG. There’s always only been one but we’re watching a show where the past, present and future intertwine and affect each other so it “appears” like we are watching more than one LG. 

24 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

I don’t have too many random thoughts right now but I feel the explanation we are watching of how everything works makes sense. Could there be some inconsistencies? Sure. But the drama also still has a couple episodes left. And to follow up with what @Heretorant said earlier, at the end of the day, it’s magic!

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks it makes sense. 

• Like 8
  • Love 12

In episode 13, Luna was shown in a van writhing in pain. 

Did LR give her a van in Korea?

And with Gemini stickers.

I'm not clear on this.

Yo-yo girl has the key to Luna's van.

I notice that she also has freckles.

1b33cd1ce667aa518e6d397522b337bdf48935b9

dd2de5b156bc8173ac81e10f8b45eeaeefb7b5f9

• Like 8

3 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

But why was LL running back to ROK in the first place??  They didn’t plan to go back to the past together, nor did they know how the flute worked.  It conveniently transported them to the moment they can save themselves, but what was LL running to ROK for? 

Don't think he was going to ROK.  Both were to enter the InBetweeenPlace to look for possible answers, cos where else will they explore? At least that's what I think.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

But at that point in time, he was not yet aware of doppelgangers, remember?

True to form, no one can beat politicians when it comes to self-preservation. Sad reality.

@Kdramatic I really felt for her when she was crying & begging with creepy scary lady...

Yup! I meant after when he already reached ROK and LG calls police to tell them to look for that family. Well maybe he still killed his doppelgänger but he probably doesn’t have to send it back to KOC to prove he died since current LL’s would be lying dead on the floor at the palace? 

Yeah, I can’t imagine what they are going to ask her to do...

• Like 4

I think I have had almost all my theories wrong. So KES is not really telling a Back to the Future story, where the hero goes back to deliberately change the future. It is his destiny; He keeps doing it anyway and is a "passive" actor.

So for the last two episodes, I am going to suspend theories. I appreciate the way KES keeps the suspense going,. Even though she killed one villain in the Episode 14, she has essentially created two more (KSR and Luna), and we need to see how their stories close.

A LOT of questions need to be resolved:

1. What is the role of LJH's mother? Why did the Yoyo Girl appear to her to explain everything? Why did LG tell JY that he had to look for her?

2. What is the use of SJ? I thought that his role was to help LG. If his part of the story was just as a swap for LR to get his father's care centre and to a spy in the palace, then this is too much space dedicated to such a minor character, plus his doppelganger.

3. What is KSR's plot now to get the whole flute, and surpass the royal family? The woman's selfish ambition is unbelievable. Why did she ask her mother to respond "mackerel"?

4. Now that LR is dead, what happens to his minions and other pieces of his puzzle like the pregnant lady? What was his person-swapping plot to use them in the first place? We have not been told this yet. Who told the minions to start the gas stove in LJH's mother's flat?

5. There should be another loop coming up, with him wearing his glorious jacket. We know now that he and JTE meet in different intersections of time. Who/What causes that? (I had thought that for this second loop, it was LG that discovers time travel, but it turns out it was the flute/Destiny that opens the door.) We haven't seen the spoiler scenes of LG and young JTE in police costume, and JTE meeting the adult LJH yet.

6. What drives Luna? And how did LG figure out that he had to leave the jacket and access card for her, so that she can lead him into the portal?

7. After JTE is stabbed by Luna, is it LG who comes and saves her? Or her colleagues manage to get the patrol car there on time? How about the spoiler reunion scene we saw of her hugging him with bandages on her finger?

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Don't think he was going to ROK.  Both were to enter the InBetweeenPlace to look for possible answers, cos where else will they explore? At least that's what I think.

@AgentQuakeThey both entered the in-between because they heard the sound of the flute, just like LG had 26 years ago on that fateful night - it was calling to him to come to the hall where the flute was kept. It had also called to LR back then after he escaped the palace and just before the gate appeared before him for the first time. There is some serious scientific background for travel between times and worlds, however, there is another part which is mythical, and that's the flute. The call of the flute is the call of destiny.

GkaBRJ1.jpg3aU200X.jpgJu7TaWD.jpg

Spoiler

MeA8KGn.jpgMByUqzi.jpgFyahC0s.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 4