[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

14 minutes ago, rambutan said:

5) Both Lee Gon and Shin Jae went back to save young Lee Gon. The sharp shooter at the beginning is SJ (guess) and the guy who lost the police ID to young Lee Gon is adult LG (pretty sure- I zoomed in the picture). That explains why previous articles zoomed in on two different pairs of shoes. Because there were two men.   

I think this is the almost approved theory right now! And if it holds true, I will be pleasantly shocked. 

I like it! 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, rambutan said:

5) Both Lee Gon and Shin Jae went back to save young Lee Gon. The sharp shooter at the beginning is SJ (guess) and the guy who lost the police ID to young Lee Gon is adult LG (pretty sure- I zoomed in the picture). That explains why previous articles zoomed in on two different pairs of shoes. Because there were two men.   

@inBinJinitrustAICARAMBA!! What a Brilliant Mess of an Idea!!..Can we All Join KES writing Bandwagon Now...(#thinking of ways to get a Season 2) :ph34r:

@Dramafreak mainly maybe because the Show looks more like chapters from a book hence the crisp execution for romance point of view atleast. If this show ends up gettung further season on Netflix itself then there maybe was a strategic reson for this tyoe of execution. Again a huge maybe.

@bebebisous33 Oo got your point now. To rethink ADULT SJ woke up in suprise wherein he saw a dream of KID named Shin Jae was lying sick in hospital , meaning the ADULT SJ is not SJ but has some other name? And was touted as SJ after the switch in ROK. This keeps on gettung convulated. Methinks SJ has a much more complex storyline than LG right now. :phew:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

29 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

@scrawford you were talking about this dialogue right?

LG: “Don’t tell me not to come and don’t tell me not to leave. I have to go back sometimes, and when I do, I want to come back soon. Whichever it is, if you tell me not to come or leave, I don’t think I’ll be able to do anything. So, I’m asking you not to get exhausted.” 

LG: “I feel like a lousy man after saying that. Am I?”

She nods.

LG: “I’m confused about which part you were nodding to.”

JTE: ”You should go now.”

JTE is savage! I get the impression LG will always be more expressive than JTE. She likes to hide her feelings. But because of that, I feel deeply sad for her because she will struggle alone.

JTE was nodding to both. Yes, she will wait, and yes, he's a lousy boyfriend who has to go when he has to go and she can't stop him. 

Correct me if I am wrong but I think it was JTE who mentioned that the portal needs to be closed. In the story description, it says JTE tries to close the portal to protect her country and loved ones. She does, and LG gets back the other half of the flute.

So, we will see a  sad separation that is a hallmark of the author. But the great mathematician will find a beautiful solution to crack the closed portal in the end. This may take years (ala Goblin) but it will happen. That's why it's important that JTE nods yes to waiting for him. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, rambutan said:

You have a very active imagination! But I won't be surprised if he really is killed off in the end. That means Jo Yeong better be alive! I'd be devastated if too many good guys or heroes are killed off in the end. That goes for Lee Gon and TE. LG gets the whole flute back and is free to visit TE after the mathematician finds the key to getting back in. 

I interpret it as either he would die OR join LR to the dark side - but I think the latter would be out of character. The show has established that despite his background and repeated temptations from the gambling owner/thug failed to sway him. However I’m worried the catalyst that is LG & TE’s flourishing relationship might change him or better, turn double-agent. Too much faith, or what? Haha!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Yes!!! That's one of the reason why I wish JTE shared more with LG.

And I'm honestly peeved that she did not mention uncle prince as well.

I mean girl..  we are a bit short of time here!

Tell him! Tell him!

@Umjicheok

Well LG and JTE were listening to audioclip together. LG would have heard uncle prince name too. Tbh the audioclip itself is not threatening , it is news of Corea . 

But even without the audio both LG and prince should be worried since they know Lee lim is alive and after LG it is uncle prince who is in line to the throne. I wish they show LG being more active and aggressive in terms of planning against Lee Lim.

12 hours ago, SweetButters said:

Sorry for cutting short your post but yes she is the same one who is security guard in the palace.

12 hours ago, LRM11219311 said:

Maybe after the world of married couple ended the ratings are going to change for TKEM :) many koreans are hooked on the TWOMC but TKEM is not that bad it’s just the expectations are too high. Let’s just wait for more exciting things to happen. :blush:

Actually I read reviews saying that TWOMC is emotionally draining , intense and fast paced. And correct me if I am wrong but TKEM is aired immediately after that show . Audience would just not like to switch from one emotionally high charged drama to drama which needs thinking. Also editing and chronology is not that great. 

I wish they would put date or 'so and so' weeks later etc in the captions for better understanding.

11 hours ago, Wanderer062287 said:

I am actually getting more and more anxious that it may be the other way around - that they might cut the series short due to the declining ratings. I really hope not, but I would really be devastated if that happens.:tears:

I don't think that will happen as others already pointed out have ratings aprrox around 8% is not easy to achieve. It's just expectations were high.

10 hours ago, Joséphine.arjenia said:

Every Friday I get disappointed by rating and every time the seem things happen , we can't get love from Korean ,so we must know why ?and if is the real situation of the king are as they say a flop. I believe that the only way to confirmed is after next week .I think it was a big mistake to aired this drama at this time with strong others one as TWOM ,so if we want to be fixed about the king we have to wait after  twom finish .in the other side ,no one can lay about the king popularity , is trading at Netflix and others social media , is just I am sad for all efforts  of cast and pray after ep10 we can be happy if not ,we have to admits that many things are wrong in our beloved drama . as for the actors ,I think no one can be sad for them , they did a good job and get benefit and they are not responsible for anything , for Leo , he still the king , loved by many internal fans ,his comeback was in big production , for my KGE , I think it was unfair for her ,becz people don't Lett her get out from goblin character and keep compared this drama with everything in the king ,even with her efforts , she must think carefully next time when she returned in drama ,OK she get the chance to play a different roles but  she was in the seem KES mood .I hope she focus in cinema ,is as she said dangerous to work in drama ,this place have her people . we will stay suffer for anther week ,and get bullet from haters but we hope hard that we can get over after that ,if not we will be sad not becz it was flop becz is not true but becz this drama deserved more love from viewers and missed to be big hit becz so many haters keep making rumours and drowning her . and becz the production didn't planning well her . 

I feel she should take up the projects with which she is happy. I don't think it is right to make decision just based on whether they will accept her in that particular role or not. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I am not wrong, people were against her pairing with gong yoo too. She is doing good job as JTE and I don't see Eun tak in JTE, she is doing good and if netizens are saying something different then may be they are not over her previous drama.

36 minutes ago, rambutan said:

3. I also can 't find a sufficiently good reason why LR would keep LG alive. Unless it's to train fake LG to act like Pyeha to steal the half flute when the latter is out of the palace.

4) Lee Gon is really weak in shooting. The Marine boss   won't be in the mood to crack a joke or make light talk during his own father's funeral.  LG is also his boss, the Commander in Chief. No no to say such things to your boss. Further, LG lacked hard currency; he would have tried his darnest to shoot accurately to get that big toy for the girl of his dreams. 

This is more plausible since LG would know the palace interior and shin jae can take care of shooting. May be both of them teamed up to save present JTE. 

Edited by Umjicheok
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

Edited***

@madmad min: the twins in Corea are sitting in PM's mother's shop. They havent shown who the parenst are. My guess, the divorced mom of JY is living near by and those twins are hers but JY doesnt know. I also wondered why JY's uncle was introduced in episode 6... to connect us to the twins?

@Dramafreak Just rewinded back, The KOC kids sitting at PM Koo's shop are not the same Jo Twins from ROK.If somehow the actors were replaced later on then this could hold true. Right now no Jo twins with are there in KOC.

Koc Ones. 

Spoiler

Screenshot-2020-05-09-18-35-46-320-com-n

Rok Ones..

Spoiler

IMG-20200509-183908.jpg

Screenshot-2020-05-09-18-37-13-717-com-n

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The yoyo boy of ROC are acquinted with luna. She gave het rabbit jacket to him infront of the book store whe RoC SJ mother (the one that working in the palace) passing by the yoyo boy. I think she is the one that inform when LG in and out the palace via book message

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My review of Episode 7

Looks like we have another set of doppelgangers - the roommate of the victim and the lady guard at the palace.

Spoiler

lAneGUn.gif

9ZRbyZ5.gif

Myeong Seung Ah sure is a good hire by Lady Noh. She uses her expertise on social media accounts to expose a mole in the palace.

Spoiler

wKomGXP.gif

I feel for Lee Gon. It's not as if his love is only across town. She's across the parallel world, for goodness sake. :lol:

Spoiler

G9sSbPf.gif

I love it that Myeong Na Ri, Myeong Seung Ah's doppelganger, is also smart. And it's good that the writer is laying now bits and pieces of rules that apply to this parallel world phenomena. But this "only one doppelganger in the universe" rule is a bit sad, especially after knowing some of this nice characters and their alternate selves.

Spoiler

BgwGff9.gif

Okay, so this barn guy is Lee Sang Do. I mean this IS the Lee Sang Do who was declared dead in the Rep of Korea. The switch has been made. Lee Sang Do is put there to spy on the king. And to cover the tracks of the switch, Lee Sang Do's identity had to be disposed of/killed in the Rep of Korea.

Spoiler

OKnqnVi.gif

So Lee Gon tags Jo Young along to the parallel world. Probably to prove to him the existence of such, and yup, assign to him that huge task on Lee Rim.

Spoiler

guQ2z3J.gif

Another body switch by Lee Rim. In this scene, the switch has already been made for Chairman Park Mun-haeng. Chairman's doppelganger from Corea was lured to switch bodies with the Chairman in Korea. 

Spoiler

U7P10fg.gif

To understand Lee Rim's business on switching people, it helps to remember his character profile. "Humans change their eyes with greed. Lee Rim decided to pierce through the greed of those insignificant human beings and transcend into a mightier being." To make the switch between doppelgangers from parallel worlds, Lee Rim banks on the greed of humans. 

In the case of Chairman Park Mun-haeng, his doppelganger is poor in Corea. Doppelganger's greed made him agree to make the switch and take on the identity of the Chairman in Korea. And Lee Rim orchestrated this for his great ambition on Korea.

Now the Chairman's son in the suit is originally from Korea. He also agreed to the body switch of the Chairman, because of his greed to take on the family business. But in this scene, his poor doppelganger from Corea comes to kill him to take on his identity. So now Chairman and son are both doppelgangers from Corea, taking on the identities of their rich counterparts in Korea.

HLrPoI3.gif

Okay, so it is confirmed that whenever someone crosses the parallel worlds, a doppelganger pair gets to have a brief interaction between them. This also happened to Luna and Tae eul in her car, and Jo Young and Eun sup with their drinks. 

Spoiler

3sIB14k.gif

vzvrcDG.gif

Uh oh, yet another foreboding?

Spoiler

L01tGrH.gif

I have to say I am impressed with Woo Do Hwan's acting for both his characters. I've said before that he makes it look like I'm watching two different actors portraying the roles. And editing is good in this part, too.

Spoiler

6LxQs6y.gif

Tae Eul, those are such strong words on parallel worlds not getting mixed up. Would you make strong choices and sacrifices as well when the time comes that you are forced to?

47Dp85p.gif

Okay, so "Lee Rim's" dead body was found a year after he committed treason. That agrees to the 1995 date written on the document we see in the first interrogation scene of the first episode. 

Spoiler

uLoPXt5.gif

Again, I feel for Lee Gon's dilemma on this love story across parallel worlds. Quite a poetic way to put it, actually.

Spoiler

G0GHxTl.gif

Ahh, Shin Jae. What is the real deal with you? For the past episodes, we've been exhausting our brains thinking of your true identity!

Spoiler

6Hs39zf.gif

So it turns out that Lee Rim also killed off his doppelganger's identity in Korea 24 years ago. So he must be living under a new name now (or has gone hiding).

Spoiler

nekTTEm.gif

Lee Rim said that he's doing everything in advance. I'm relieved to see that Lee Gon does that, too, when he placed the note in Jo Young's pocket to prove that time stopped. Genuis Lee Gon versus cunning Lee Rim. Bring it on.

Spoiler

QSns3gd.gif

Finally, Luna surfaces. When Jo Young had Tae Eul's fingerprint processed by the detective, there was no match since Luna is undocumented in Corea. Then Luna got arrested and finally got documented, hence a match for Tae eul's prints. 

Spoiler

nmS0D8D.gif

NatcmBs.gif

Looks like Lee Rim is eyeing on the prime minister next. If I am reading the rather small characters right, it has the address of her mother's house, but addressed to the prime minister's name.

Spoiler

YKlKhed.gif

Feisty prime minister meets creepy Luna. This is getting interesting. 

Spoiler

VWr9quH.gif

Finally, Lee Gon questions if he exists in the other world. Honestly, that is the first question that he should have asked upon figuring out the existence of the other world. So does he find the truth?

7oDrwPh.gif

@YongZura⁷

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

I’m a little confused. 

Reveal hidden contents

JTE said she loved Lee Gon. I didn’t see that coming lol.

same here, i was shocked for a while ! i need subtitles....but the scene was beautifully shot. i find it very romantic. 

• Like 3

Really annoying I understand in this ep, this drama's problem is MinHo's secreen time, almost 45 minutes passed but Minho has 2-3 minutes screen time, really? Ddecetive's screen are so many, how can it be this? I think rating will drop more I guess lead man Shin Jae

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Doppelgangers executions can be confusing because we have the same face but was done with different make-up and hair - thats why beside the leads (whose face we're more used to) sometimes I get confuse as who's who when they show the side characters doppelgangers. 

General rule:

-Each doppelganger posses what their other counterpart doesn't have. 

E.g: One is rich, the other is dirt poor. One is royal, the other is common (Lee Gon and Lee Rim's family doppelganger). One has family, the other is orphanage (JTE vs Luna). One has siblings and family love the other has none (Yoon as the only child parent divorce vs ES who has twins with loving parent)

So because of this, Lee Rim can negotiate with the counterpart whether they want to take over the other person life if it's something they desire - to his own advantage. He switch people from Korea to gain them favor or to help his people from Corea for being loyal to him. 

His main goal???? -

I always find its odd that if he wants the other half of the flutes, why does he have to plan for so long (24+ years) and not going straight to snatch it right away from Lee Gon? 

Lee Rim escaped and killed his king brother in 1994, given the context that most our lead characters would be 3 yr (JTE born in 1991) and 7 yr old (both shin jae and LG born in 1987) and 9 yr old (Koo prime minister is apparently older than the king) - at this age would a swap of their family and their world possible? Would you still be old enough to remember something? 

Im a bit worried since Lee Rim been planning and swapping people for +24 years and here our two leads are being lovey dovey :))) 

• Like 5

When you take wrong man for a walk :mrgreen:

#Well well , who is there :D

Spoiler

5eb6b5b1e95fb259951337.gif?download

# Oppa not worried because his strong shield is with him :tounge_wink:

5eb6b5c8f355a795629772.gif?download

# why are you quite, do something ;)

do what , who you think I am :D

5eb6b5dd354eb727450902.gif?download

# good luck , I have to run :D

5eb6b5f24aecb905765326.gif?download