[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

On 5/4/2020 at 10:08 PM, koreaboooo said:

Other characters in the book are the flowers, the Cheshire cat, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the caterpillar... etc.

What if the cat is the red balloon?

I liked @bebebisous33's analysis. Let us not forget wonderland was about fantasy and alice could be the King in Korea or JTE in Corea.

Adaptation means having the essentials in place and for me the essentials are in place. I am biased, i guess and i want to see a pattern (??)!

The evil uncle and nephew fight is inspired from Harry Potter :)

*Edited

can thet just release all the episodes such that these controvercies do not affect the release of the drama or the story as planned. Now i just want to know their version of the King. Then if some new problem comes up editing can be done and we can have a second strand version of the wonderland.

experimental art at its best! Artist's version and popular demand version :D

• Like 7

Hmm, they should have just CGI a totally new and different battleships. Sad to hear the production team being embroiled in such criticisms since the beginning. Is it not clear enough this is a work of fiction? Not documentary?

• Like 7
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Hmm, they should have just CGI a totally new and different battleships. Sad to hear the production team being embroiled in such criticisms since the beginning. Is it not clear enough this is a work of fiction? Not documentary?

Just my take:

When politically hot topics feature in popular dramas... pr and production team is always prepared for controvercy. 

I agree with you... am getting tired of hearing about all the controvercies surrounding them given that it is a work of fiction but... it could be a marketting gimmick too.

• Like 8

@Dramafreak Thanks for the compliment...:wub: I have just read a summary of "Through the looking glass" and different things caught my attention. The presence of a mirror which leads to another world, where everything is backward. 

image.png

1. I had already pointed out the presence of a mirror in the poster and explained that people from one world live the opposite life in the other world:

• sick vs. healthy
  • poor vs. rich
  • weak vs powerful
  • abandoned vs. family

And the closer the person is to the mirror, the lesser the gap is, like f. ex. the photograph and the tea shop owner. 

2. Besides Alice makes some weird experiences. She finds herself in different locations without her knowledge.

Alice tries to walk to the garden but she always finds herself back at the door of the house. Or she suddenly is in a train... she can't explain these changes. And it could be definitely related to Luna.

3. Then she meets the White Queen and from her, she hears that time moves backward in Looking Glass World. And the clock is moving backward in the intro (see the poster and the clock under Lee Gon). So the mirror in the poster is indeed an allusion of the novel "Through the looking glass".

I came to realize that in this poster, we have three worlds represented: Lee Gon is a representative of MOC and JTE the one from ROK, and we have the mirror below these two characters. So this mirror could embody the passage where time, wind and air don't exist.

@YongZura⁷ @ktcjdrama @Ameera Ali

• Like 6
  • Insightful 7

37 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Dramafreak Thanks for the compliment...:wub: I have just read a summary of "Through the looking glass" and different things caught my attention. The presence of a mirror which leads to another world, where everything is backward. 

1. I had already pointed out the presence of a mirror in the poster and explained that people from one world live the opposite life in the other world:

• sick vs. healthy
  • poor vs. rich
  • weak vs powerful
  • abandoned vs. family

And the closer the person is to the mirror, the lesser the gap is, like f. ex. the photograph and the tea shop owner. 

2. Besides Alice makes some weird experiences. She finds herself in different locations without her knowledge.

Alice tries to walk to the garden but she always finds herself back at the door of the house. Or she suddenly is in a train... she can't explain these changes. And it could be definitely related to Luna.

3. Then she meets the White Queen and from her, she hears that time moves backward in Looking Glass World. And the clock is moving backward in the intro (see the poster and the clock under Lee Gon). So the mirror in the poster is indeed an allusion of the novel "Through the looking glass".

I came to realize that in this poster, we have three worlds represented: Lee Gon is a representative of MOC and JTE the one from ROK, and we have the mirror below these two characters. So this mirror could embody the passage where time, wind and air don't exist.

@YongZura⁷ @ktcjdrama @Ameera Ali

See As I suspected or Miss-suspected , LUNA only appears as a fluke atleast in ROK. She is sitting at the backseat of JTE's car (I for one once had a thought of Luna being a Ghost)..but in KOC she actually had a tiff with those people during ROWING Competition whom JY interrogated. Luna is trying to show herself or reach somewhere via the passage but not ending at the destined place.

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 5

It's fun to see how LG and CL Noh BTS. They're so lovely. Oppa's laughter is contagious! :wub:

Oh... I wish that adlib could be included in the actual episode. When TE said where should they go and unlock her car but LG stopped her saying they'd ride there with a horse. And she asked "horse?" in disbelieve. That's so hilarious.

I always wonder how could our king be that powerful lifting TE just like that onto the horse and it turned out that the staff helped him there. Lol. 

Hope they'll released BTS of ep 5-6 soon before Friday comes. 

10 hours ago, Geolyvseven said:

We haven't seen this scene yet

Oh... in which teaser is this? Anyway, I love that part of the song played when both are taking a walk hand in hand. The song is so soothing! And somehow the melody presented somekind of sorrow feels but it is so beautiful. 

So there's a reshuffle of the editing staff here. I hope they change him for good. But bad editing is something normal to happen one or two in the drama making. Even the pre-produced one did that as well. Talking about directors, I thought it was directed by the same one as KES previously worked with, PD Lee Eun Bok, isn't this time with him too? I like their collabs from some of her works before. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

8 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:

But aren't they done filming?? I wish they had changed the editor right from the beginning when they got criticism. But we have 10 episodes left. Not a lot of episodes are left. But I want the last 10 episodes have the best music director and editing. The cast is doing a great job. KES is also working hard and her story and characters are good.

Whoever they wanna bring, I don't care. Just fix the editing. Does editing affect the music director too? or is it different?

Really I am happy because they work to change and I said EP6 is different and good and musics are good ,I said early really every scene shooting like different director, some scenes are so beautiful but some scenes are emotionless,  You can see EP5 kiss scene and EP6 kiss scene difference , EP5 kiss scene is spiritlessly but EP6 kiss scene is emotional 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, madmad min said:

The amount of people who are NOT interested in the show and the Amount of People closely nitpicking and criticizing  the designs to Micro-Mini level is hilarious. They are watching but for closely finding flaws, how are they so bored? :vicx:

The PR team needs to publicize Netflix Popularity for this for some positivity. Aishh...:confounded:

To those nitpickers or naysayers or whatever they call, I'd like to borrow some catchphrase of our king, "They'll all get beheaded for sure!!"

Spoiler

Get yourself out from reading those toxic comments, especially to some sites which usually full of it. I suggest that we just leave them express their negativity out there. Because it's pointless to tell them this and that, they'll keep doing of what they're doing anyway. Luckily, we have this thread where the people are loving and fun. :)

Uri Pyeha.... 

Spoiler

Whatever he does, being playful, lovey dovey, caring or serious. Whoa.... automatically in hearteyes mode. :love:

Parallel hugs

Spoiler

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:

Jung Ji-Hyun? I searched he directed "Mr Sunshine" and "search WWW"

Ah really now I understand I think JJH shot end of EP4 and other beautiful scenes , if you watch Mr Sunsine you can understand this

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

This was what I thought and posted about it on last Sunday.This scene probably took place in a different round of time loop that's not same as the one we are watching now.  LR was caught by JTE and SJ for the all those murders finally. But in that round of time loop JTE had no knowledge of LG's Corea at that time when she interrogated LR. 

I think we will see this  interrogation scene again in later episode. But the scene and outcome will be different this time around when it's in the current time loop. JTE will be able to connect the dots this time around since she has already known about the Corea and LR from LG. 

But in that first scene, SJ was holding a document about LR that has the Corean logo on it. So they must know the existence of Corea and potentially working together with LG in that first scene?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, lacremedelameme said:

But in that first scene, SJ was holding a document about LR that has the Corean logo on it. So they must know the existence of Corea and potentially working together with LG in that first scene?

The document could have been retrieved from Lee Lim himself, but the questioning happened in Korea.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Heretorant said:

What is up for Knetz? This drama has been facing controversies after controversies! Leave it alone! Goodness, cannot please them one bit. First, they complained this drama was pro Japanese but now that the drama showcases a battle against the Japanese, they’re complaining that it doesn’t follow history and that the Japanese ships resemble Korean ships? There is no end, is there? 

About the switch of directors and editors, I think the editor was the problem. The director was doing great! Does this mean the editor becomes the director? I’m not sure how I feel about it but I’m hoping for the best. 

@Heretorant i woke up with yet a mother controversy for this drama. They can't catch a break!. 

Man...people really do want to see this drama fail aren't they? can we all just enjoy the entertainment?

So, i'm compiling the controversies and so far here's what i got.

1). The casting Mishaps

2). The 10 year old affair (Ironically happened while the whole country is obsessing over a cheating drama lol)

3). The Pagoda Design 

4). the "In Between World " CGI

5). The war scene CGI. Sigh...

I read the article where the Director Baek Sang Hoon explained the reason. I won't quote him since it's few pages back, but if you read it, you can tell that COVID-19 definitely affected the whole drama Production. NO longer able to outsource the CGI from Overseas definitely changed the whole dynamic and not to mentioned quality. But, they did the best they can with the material that they have. Plus they probably had to take a a break here and there from shooting during the high peak of the virus in SK.

While I'm really enjoying the drama right now, i feel bad and maybe it would have been better if they postponed production until they get to do exactly what and how they want to do it? This is KES and Hwa & Dam most ambitious production in terms of Budget/storytelling/production/cast. A big comeback for the writer, LMH and KGE. 

I can't Tag a few people that have questions regarding this, but after reading Asian wiki regarding the Directors, here is what  i got.

Baek Sang Hoon was the co director for Descendant of the Sun and Jung Ji Hyun (not the actress) was the Co Director for Goblin and Mr. Sunshine. Lee Eung Bok IS the MAIN Director for DOTS, Goblin, and Mr. Sunshine. and Of course Lee Eung Bok Next Project will be "Mount Jiri" which is written by the Scriptwriter of "Kingdom" Netflix and currently trying to get the actress Jun Ji Hyun on board to play The FL (Do we smell a hit Drama in the making?). My question is, why Did KES changed Director? Why her most ambitious and high Budget Drama used the Co director of her two previous Drama VS using the Main Director of her last 3 Hits drama? I don't Understand. Goblin is pretty and all that but Mr. Sunshine Direction is a whole other level of perfection. 

I truly Hope that They switched due to Baek Sang Hoon would do better Editing and Jung Ji-Hyun would do better at directing, because .....if what Some people here said that some of the Good scene in "The King" are directed by Jung Ji Hyun, hope this change would amp up the drama as a whole. And.. from what i take (reading here and the articles) Baek Sang Hoon is the main person behind the CGI and design. Maybe relief him from Director chair would help him focus to enhanced the editing flaws.

Meanwhile, should i told you guys how many time have i watch that Kitchen scene? Probably not, it's kind of embarrassing heheheheh...have a good day all or evening.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, scrawford said:

@Heretorant i woke up with yet a mother controversy for this drama. They can't catch a break!. 

Baek Sang Hoon was the co director for Descendant of the Sun and Jung Ji Hyun (not the actress) was the Co Director for Goblin and Mr. Sunshine. Lee Eung Bok IS the MAIN Director for DOTS, Goblin, and Mr. Sunshine. and Of course Lee Eung Bok Next Project will be "Mount Jiri" which is written by the Scriptwriter of "Kingdom" Netflix and currently trying to get the actress Jun Ji Hyun on board to play The FL (Do we smell a hit Drama in the making?). My question is, why Did KES changed Director? Why her most ambitious and high Budget Drama used the Co director of her two previous Drama VS using the Main Director of her last 3 Hits drama? I don't Understand. Goblin is pretty and all that but Mr. Sunshine Direction is a whole other level of perfection. 

As per this article, it was PD Lee Eung Bok himself who chose to collaborate with different writer this time: Kim Eun Hee. He announced on March 2019 about his next projects as well for Mount Jiri.

https://www.kdramapal.com/kim-eun-sook-co-director-of-descendants-of-the-sun-reunite-for-new-drama/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If JJH shot end of EP4 scenes so I am happy I hope he will shoot so many scene like this but If DOS director shot I am happy again because he will edit ,anyway I am praying so much I hope our drama will be more beautiful :heart:maybe this is my pray's answer

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

Kill me but i cant remember who Lee Ji-hun is... the dad?

No killing necessary. :)  LG’s double. It’s a long shot that he’s still alive.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

28 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

Kill me but i cant remember who Lee Ji-hun is... the dad?

It's Lee Gon Counterpart in ROK

30 minutes ago, Cara said:

As per this article, it was PD Lee Eung Bok himself who chose to collaborate with different writer this time: Kim Eun Hee. He announced on March 2019 about his next projects as well for Mount Jiri.

https://www.kdramapal.com/kim-eun-sook-co-director-of-descendants-of-the-sun-reunite-for-new-drama/

Thank you! It's too bad. But this is what we got. let's hope for a better direction and editing and hopefully the ratings continue to climb.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. This is the last time I will merge your posts - next time you'll receive a official warning.
  • Like 5