[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

Well i honestly think lee rim is definitely the rightful crown prince by birth. The way his grandmother reacted to him wanting to leave the palace. As far as i remember once they come of certain age all other princes except for the crown prince are to live outside the palace. But the grandmother stated matter of factly that the palace is his rightful place.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm gonna have a little rant on acting, funnily enough not about CEW. It bothers me how casual the crown princess' sageuk speech is when she first enters lee jin's quarters? Like, if it was a lighthearted character in a lighthearted scene it makes sense but in a tense scene where she's facing off with the crown prince who has the formal/traditional sageuk speak down to a T, it seems jarring and out of place. I mean, it gets better when she sits down to talk, but it was weirdly modern and casual when she first came in the room. 

Anyways... I feel sorry for her, not her fault she was born to minister min. And I bet she had no say in her marriage or whether she would be used as a political pawn or not. But I mean, if you know even a little bit about your father, girl... you should at least understand why he's avoiding you like smallpox. 

But yikes, how much must he not like her if he ain't sleeping with her when it's formally planned, LOL. (I know, it's not funny but it is.) Poor lee jin, even the girl who he potentially actually likes has a toxic father. 

The scene afterwards where they discuss what records they should keep/record or discard was really great! And LMAO historian yang ended up taking this dilemma to the chief state councillor (the highest ranked official in court). Ha, he ended up pushing the decision to min woo won, the brother :D

6 hours ago, morningdew said:

Preview ep.19-20

Thanks for sharing!! :D

OMG, they held hands!! :wub:  Don't know why I'm so excited when they already did it before, haha!! I just love how this romance is written, it's giving me all the feels. Yi Rim and Hae Ryung are precious babies falling in love and I'm dying of the cuteness here.

This week's episodes, oh my goodness! Yesterday's had so much lighthearted fluff for Lee Rim and Haeryung, and then today's was pain for Historian Min. The flashbacks with his wife legitimately had me crying. I wonder if her father's death will somehow connect back to the original coup from 20 years ago, Lee Rim's identity, Haeryung's parents, etc.

And then Haeryung at the end!? Mommy, I'm scared. First, I'm really surprised that the King is actually kind of protecting Dowon from the Second State Councillor. What power does Daddy Min wield that he rules over even the King? What message did Mohwa send Queen Dowager? How will Lee Rim get in to see Haeryung, and how will the historians get her out of there? 

Man, I wish it was next week already!

It just hit me, this is a noona romance. If understood correctly, Dowon is around 20-22? years old, while HY is 26ish? Then in that case, then the casting was really on point, because Dowon does look young. 

But I am wondering about their romance. For the most part it has been slowing growing in secret, but all in all, they really haven't run into any huge obstacles that prevent them from being together. It has been fairly smooth sailing for the most part. Usually you would have someone saying that they couldn't ever be together because of status, relations to so-and-so...etc. But that really hasn't happened. No one has been warning them off from each other and no one has butted in as the third party. But I still wonder how the ending is going to play out. Dowon is so head over heels for her. And it is sweet that he never tries to control her or push her around. He just worries about her and helps her from the background. 

I agree with the theory that Dowon is probably the true crown prince. But I don't think that they would make him the prince in the end. Unlike his elder brother, he has not been trained at all on how to deal with politics or anything leadership related. He has been going around doing mostly nothing his whole life without responsibility. While I do think he could grow to be a good leader of sorts, I think he would be miserable, being restricted and constantly plotted against. Plus, he would be separated from his HY and that would not do.

I think Dowon would make a decent King actually. He is very intelligent , has appropriate royal dignity when not acting like a Love sick 12 year old and cares for the people. With decent council he could do much.I agree Unfortunately he would hate it terribly not to mention She would either have to sacrifice her dreams to stay with him or leave. 

Honestly at at this point there probably would not be too much serious fuss if they wanted to marry.   She is of sufficient birth for a “regular” Prince and her eccentricities have not got her family or her into any scandal.But of course that’s going to change according to the preview as we saw. 

So, we had sort of a mutual confession, when he said he wanted to know if she noticed him at all :wub: and she said she had ulterior motives for holding his hand :wub:  It's so fun that Yi Rim apparently has decided to go against any love advice that he gets from his eunuch and maids. Btw, I find really sweet that they seem genuinely committed to help their prince to get the girl. Yi Rim has grown up very isolated but also protected and loved, judging from his sweet personality, so I like to think that the eunuch and the maids have taken good care of him since he was small, apart from his elder brother. ^_^

Well, I'm looking forward to next week's episodes. The romance is being a nice slow burn and it's time for some pay-off, let them kiss already!! :D

We have Officer Min's father-in-law who was accused of treason. We also heard that he was a scholar... so in my opinion, it is related to Dowon's father. We know too that the Second Chancellor has no idea that Dowon is not related to the king (his son). In other words, the latter decided to protect Dowon by hiding his true identity. That's why I believe that the actual king might have been forced to take the crown with a coup d'etat in the end. This would also explain why the Queen Dowager never attempted to undermine the actual king's authority. Nevertheless, she feels that the ties between her son (the actual king) and the Second Chancellor have to be cut.

I really liked that GHR was taking the initiative with our prince: taking his hand and even telling him about herself. Female leads are usually more passive in that matter.  

BTW what was the character(?) he wrote on the pot when he came to her in Jail per the preview? 

I agree As Sweet and caring as the maids and cuddly eunuch are taking advice from them is not going get him some loven :)  

HRs maid is the one to ask;)

33 minutes ago, RobinM said:

BTW what was the character(?) he wrote on the pot when he came to her in Jail per the preview? 

It’s the Chinese character 愛 meaning ‘love’ :wub:  He’s such a sweetie. 

Are they going to execute Min??? Whyyyyy? OMG! Love the historians though! Seemed like jerks at the beginning, but actually a really spirited and close group. :)

7 hours ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

Well, I'm looking forward to next week's episodes. The romance is being a nice slow burn and it's time for some pay-off, let them kiss already!! :D

I’m totally with you! Let the big romance commence! 

2 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

Are they going to execute Min??? Whyyyyy? OMG! Love the historians though! Seemed like jerks at the beginning, but actually a really spirited and close group. :)

Min can't die (yet)! I feel like the historians will successfully save their colleagues, but it will spark an even bigger situation that takes us to our climax.

Also, now that Haeryung and Yi Rim know how they feel about each other, I wonder what the big obstacle for them will be. Will the King or SSC stand in their way (or try to kill Yi Rim, lol)? Will the difference in rank be a problem, or worse, him turning out to be the rightful king? Because I'm sure Haeryung wouldn't want to be the Crown Princess, and he wouldn't want to rule without her. Or even know the first thing about  ruling, for that matter. :D

I’m not usually a fan of sageuks but this drama is my happy pill right now! I smiled too much during the heart-fluttering OTP scenes in this week’s episodes. The hand-holding scene is so adorable, and I just love it every time Hae Ryung fixes Rim’s hat, and the way he looks at her when she’s doing it :wub:

I really like how their relationship progresses. Once they realized they have feelings for each other, they’re being really honest & sincere in telling how they feel to each other (so glad that Rim just outright ignored Sambo’s love advice :D). And it shows that being sincere is just much more rewarding than pretending to be cold  and mysterious to someone you like. They’ve already confirmed each other’s feelings by now, even without directly saying that they like each other.

The chemistry between the casts is great and I love all the leads & supporting characters (except those evil fathers, of course) but I have to commend the comic relief characters. Sambo, the two maids, and Seol-geum are hillarious and their scenes are some of the funniest in the drama. And kudos to the one in charge of the sound effects because they make the scenes so much funnier!

Looking forward to the kiss scene in the next episode. With Hae Ryung being the more mature and experienced one in the relationship, I won’t be surprised if Rim initiates the kiss first with a peck on her lips, and Hae Ryung goes for a second (more passionate?) one. I can dream, right? :lol: 

11 minutes ago, shunnie said:

Looking forward to the kiss scene in the next episode. With Hae Ryung being the more mature and experienced one in the relationship, I won’t be surprised if Rim initiates the kiss first with a peck on her lips, and Hae Ryung goes for a second (more passionate?) one. I can dream, right? :lol: 

Hiring you to rewrite and film the scene if it's not already like this!

Hi, guys.

Just a passing Korean SSK fan to tell you some stuff that we Korean fans of the show have learned or surmised or guessed.

Putting them in under spoiler just in case you don't want to know.

Spoiler

1. Dowon is the rightful crown prince.

I'm pretty sure most of you know this, but just to make sure.

Dowon is the son of the deposed king and the rightful crown prince.

The king at present is the brother of the old king, and was born of a maid of the palace, hence he's very insecure about himself.

The old king, on the other hand, was born of the queen (the queen dowager of today).

Therefore the queen dowager hates the present king and also the crown prince (since he's not of her blood),

and it looks like she's planning to get rid of the present king and the crown prince, which will probably mean both will die,

all so that she can make someone of her blood (Dowon) the next king.

We Korean fans mostly don't like her, she seems to be the boss monster of the show who's going to do everything to kill the crown prince and break YR and GHR up, just to make Dowon king even though he probably wouldn't want to be the king after his brother/cousin is dead on his account.

(BIG SPOILER: there was a picture posted on instagram a couple of days ago, which showed her interviewing potential brides for YR.

It's supposed to be in the 16th episode, and the really sad fact is that in the picture, HR was the one who was recording the proceedings...)

2. Hae Ryung has secrets of her own.

The fact that she was sent to China when she was 6, which is 20 years ago and the time when the old king was deposed, and the fact that she doesn't have parents, suggest to us Korean fans that her parents probably died supporting the old king, and her brother betrayed his own people just to protect HR, and probably sent her to China to get her away from everything as quickly as possible. We believe her background story will be made clear along with the story of Hodam, because it seems like all these stories of Hodam, YR and HR are connected.

One last thing about next week's preview:

What Min is doing is a form of protest, Ji Bu Sang So, which means protesting something with an axe in your bosom, to show that you're prepared to die for what you're protesting. That's why he's wearing all white and dishevelled, he's protesting HR's imprisonment, probably because he's the one who told her to listen in on the conversation at all costs.

Fun fact, there's actually a historical record of a historian who eavesdropped on the king because he felt it his duty to record the meeting, and he was caught and exiled to a remote place as punishment. A lot of the things happening on the show are actually based on real history. The writer of the show has been preparing this show for years, and researched quite a lot, it seems.

Hope you guys continue to enjoy the show.

@lsylvia Well, the queen dowager has never tried to challenge the king before and she seems to have a close relationship with the Crown prince. She let the prince live for so long without any education hence if she had planned a putsch, she would have made it possible that he receives proper training. I doubt that she is determined to plan a coup d'état in order to get rid of the Crown prince and his father so that DW could get his rightful place. In my opinion, her true intention is more to get rid of the Second Chancellor. Sure, the crown prince is married to his daughter but the Crown Prince can divorce her and marry another noblewoman, if her father was to be arrested and convicted.

@bebebisous33 Things will become clearer next week, but it looks like the queen dowager made a deal with the king to raise Dowon as his son in return for her not questioning his kingship when he killed the old king and became king himself. The fact that SC does not know that Dowon is the old king's son makes it look like it was a secret deal between just the two of them.

And she couldn't have possibly educated Dowon on becoming a king without alerting the present king and putting him in danger. Not being taught how to be a king really doesn't matter if you are of the rightful line and you have the highest claim to be the king.

And the queen dowager is only pretending to like the crown prince (as can be surmised by the way her attitude toward him changed when he at first refused to call Dowon back to the palace in the smallpox episode). In the character descriptions of the show's website, her description was changed because the first one gave too much away, but I saw it and it said she only cares for Dowon because he's the only one of her blood. After all, the crown prince is the son of the man who killed her son, and the one who stands in the way of Dowon becoming king.

Another reason it looks like she's trying to make Dowon king is that she refuses to let him leave the palace, even though he's clearly miserable there. It was the custom of the time that when princes reached a certain age, they left the palace and lived in their own homes, but she's refusing to let him leave, saying it's his rightful home. I don't know how things will turn out, but I do think there will be a coup, or at the least, the attempt of one.

Oh my! That raises another Question: will she try to separate The budding couple because it interferes with her plan? Does not think HR is worthy? But I don’t think so as this is ultimately a Rom Com with serious parts not a dark convoluted twisty palace melo:)

Archived