[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

Actually, no one knows for sure if Rim gave up his royal status. We only see that he made the request to his grandmother to be allowed to relinquish his title but never saw her give her permission nor the king issue a decree saying he had approved it. We only saw that Jin took on the kingship, presumably because his father abdicated. Abdication would be the most logical thing that happened since if the king had been found guilty of treason, Jin would not have been able to ascend the throne. My guess is that since Rim had already reached adulthood, he's allowed to request to live outside the palace (in fact he must if he is not the crown prince), so he was granted that permission to move out. Seeing how his grandmother suffered so much and used that to implore him to take up the crown, the likeliest position of compromise was to agree to retaining a title but be allowed otherwise to live outside the palace. Jin has no queen, and might possibly never marry seeing how his personality is. Who knows? Perhaps he will wait for SaHui's term of exile to end, by which time Rim might be well ready to return to the palace (having made up for his lost youth through his travels across his land) to take on the throne. By that time, the Queen Dowager might also have warmed to the idea of Rim marrying a commoner for a wife (seeing as how GHR is associated with the late King's Seoreowon project to see a new Korea) and allows for GHR to be queen. A new, more modern monarchy is established under Rim's rule and palace rituals begin to see westernisation perhaps? Under such a constitution, GHR will become a more worthy queen. Jin moves into the countryside to live a simple life of a commoner now with SaHui, and all will be well.

I guess them ending the show on this note is giving way for endless fanfic possibilities! :P

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I’m wondering with Min’s sister aka the Crown Princess. So does she easily be thrown out from Crown Princess to be outcast because of his father? It’s good that they are not in love. We know that Crown Prince has a special bonding with Sahui. 

Related with Baby Yi Rim, he was saved by SamBo, right? And who accompanied SamBo? Is it the medical lady aka MoHwa? If I’m not mistaken in the earlier episode, MoHwa is the wife of SamBo. Is it possible for eunuch to have wife?

@gilaswan I think your idea is pretty plausible, that Rim is allowed to live freely for some years, gathering more knowledge and experience around him while Jin is a regent until Rim is older and ready to take over. After all, Rim is the true heir that the Queen and Seoraewon survivors have been fighting for in 20 years. Even though Rim said that he doesn't belong in the palace, it's probably because he was suffocated and felt useless for being confined his whole life doing nothing in Nokseodang, but as a king he will have a purpose and his life will be useful for the people. We can actually see that he has the sense of pride when people are respecting and looking up to him (e.g the villagers after smallpox incident and the Seoraewon survivors in the last ep) so I feel that if he become a wise king who's able to make the country a better place and help many people, that feeling of accomplishment will really make him happy and content. It will be a big responsibility for sure, but with the help of good people around him and especially Hae Ryung, he can definitely do it well. And as a king, if Hae Ryung marries him and become a queen, maybe he can still let Hae Ryung have her career in the palace somehow?

As for Jin, after the new Seoraewon is established and Rim took over the throne, he can be the leader of Seoraewon, teaching the kids together with Sahui :D

8 hours ago, mundaliv said:

Related with Baby Yi Rim, he was saved by SamBo, right? And who accompanied SamBo? Is it the medical lady aka MoHwa? If I’m not mistaken in the earlier episode, MoHwa is the wife of SamBo. Is it possible for eunuch to have wife?

Yes, the young lady who took baby Rim away with Sambo is Mo Hwa, and she's Sambo's wife. I wish they explained it a bit, but I think the Queen had them married so that Mo Hwa can have an excuse to be around him and to protect Rim.

The photographer for this drama has been updating his IG with these pics of our gorgeous couple :love::

On 9/29/2019 at 3:38 PM, gilaswan said:

Cha Eun Woo has my attention now. For an idol with an extremely pretty face, I have to say I found myself comparing him to L when I found out he’s an idol-actor, and Eun Woo by comparison is a much better actor. I think this young man can really do well on the small screen if he continues to study well under veterans

This role really suits him and definitely one 'pretty' good reason to watch this drama.:wub: those eye glasses - symbolising his character growth::lol:

5 reasons to watch 'Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung'

It's the light-hearted historical K-drama everyone's talking about!
By   
1 AUG 2019 - 12:46 PM  UPDATED YESTERDAY 9:25 AM

This historical K-drama has got plenty of people talking! Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung might look like your typical romance drama from the outset, but it's got some interesting twists and turns to keep your attention.

Set in the Joseon era, it followsShin Se Kyung's Goo Hae Ryung, a strong-willed woman uninterested in marriage and a lover of literature. She becomes a female historian, going against the era's staunch gender roles, but in the process falls into a tangled friendship with Cha Eunwoo's Prince Yi Rim. The prince is kept out of the spotlight, where he writes romance novels in secret.

If that plot summary hasn't already charmed you into watching, here's some more reasons to make sure you put this drama on your watchlist.

Spoiler

1. Wit and charm for days

If you're a fan of historical dramas that have some humour attached (think Hwarang or Love in the Moonlight) then this is a must-see. Goo Hae Ryung and the Prince are friendly, flirtatious and downright mean to each other in equal measure, and their dynamic is so much fun to watch!

Image result for rookie historian goo hae ryung gif

2. Cha Eunwoo's beautiful face

Have you seen Cha Eunwoo's face?? It deserves a reason of its own. He can go from being heart-warmingly adorable to seriously handsome with a singular facial expression. He plays the duality of a young prince forced to hide himself with just the right amount of laughs and gravitas to make you swoon then get sentimental.

3. Gender roles get flipped

We're used to seeing women as subservient characters in historical K-dramas. Usually they're the long-suffering wife or the daughter who needs to get married off. While those characters are definitely in this drama too,  there's also the four women who are changing the game by choosing to become scholars in an entirely masculine environment, where they're very much not welcomed at first. Shin Se Kyung is definitely the hero we'd follow to the very end!

4. Female friendships... or maybe enemies?

In the first few episodes we're just getting to know the four women who've made it past the historian's exam, but you get the feeling their bond will be something special to watch develop throughout the series. There's definitely a hint of betrayal coming from at least one character (you'll have to watch it all to know who we mean).

5. Inevitable impending doom feels

Like any historical K-drama, we know what actually happened at the time, so inevitably there will be clashes between the King and his subjects, betrayals in the royal family and our favourites will face danger of some kind. The seeds are sown early on with dishonest advisors and a Crown Prince who isn't respected by his father, and the dramatic moments that follow will hit you right in the heart.

So tell us, have you watched Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung yet? 

On 9/29/2019 at 2:20 PM, mundaliv said:

Hi guys!! Thanks for the posts. Really good to read some posts give more clarity for me on the last episode and its ending. 

I think if we got more episodes, like 2 more episodes, the ending will not be too rushed, and we can have more scenes for our couple together.. 

So it’s a rookie writer then! Wow! I guess the writer is good in keeping the story focusing on historians, even until the “solution” is also with historians as the center stage. For the pace, it is indeed not really good. Because the serious part is really heavy in the last 4 episodes. In the earlier episodes, we got more fluffy scenes, which I like so much. Haha. 

Not many watching this drama, I think because it’s on netflix. 

I am actually glad that the writer gave us some funny moments of the housekeeper and Sambo bickering:joy: while our couple is having a good time.

And it's pretty cool to see GHR offering her hand to our Prince and lead him to run off together ::grimace: yes.. gender flip !

Spoiler

This interview with Park Ki Woong is so sweet, he seems to adore Eun Woo like a little brother, just like how Jin cares for Rim.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1356104wpp/park-ki-woong-shares-sincere-praise-for-cha-eun-woos-work-ethics

Park Ki Woong Shares Sincere Praise For Cha Eun Woo’s Work Ethics

Park Ki Woong has many compliments for ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo!

On October 1, Park Ki Woong participated in an interview to talk about MBC’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung,” which aired its final episode on September 26. In the drama, Park Ki Woong and Cha Eun Woo played brothers Lee Jin and Lee Rim.

Park Ki Woong shared, “Cha Eun Woo is very sweet. We had a lot of scenes together in the beginning, but there was a time in the middle when we didn’t have scenes together. If we didn’t see each other for a few days, Cha Eun would contact me first. He has a lot of aegyo. We still keep in touch, of course. I play for an [amateur] basketball team as a hobby, and Cha Eun Woo said he wanted to play basketball, so he once joined our team and played with us.”

The actor continued, “Cha Eun Woo as a person is great, but I became even more fond of him while I was acting as Lee Jin. I felt lonely while filming at the palace, but I loved the scenes I filmed with him. In one scene near the end, I was in conflict with Cha Eun Woo’s character. It was hard because both Cha Eun Woo and I got too emotional. The scene where I yell to lock him up took many takes because Eun Woo cried. I was also trying hard to hold back my tears. That’s how much I liked [working with] him. It’s hard not to like him since he works very hard.”

Park Ki Woong also mentioned the improvement he saw in Cha Eun Woo’s acting. He commented, “I took on a lead role in a film when I was exactly Cha Eun Woo’s age. It was ‘My Tutor Friend 2,’ and I think he is doing a lot better than I was at the time. I had no time to spare because I was busy doing what I had to do. It’s important that a lead actor acts well, but it’s also important that they lead.”

Park Ki Woong concluded, “While looking at him taking care of the people around him, I realized that he is doing a lot better than I did. He is a good actor. I’m saying this with sincerity. I’m very proud of him.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's the latest batch of BTS, I love Se Kyung & Eun Woo's off screen interactions too!

BTS 21-24 (Eng Subbed)

Spoiler

Cast Interviews

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

Archived