[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

2 hours ago, RobinM said:

My Question is though: she is a Noble woman by birth and he is a seemingly a minor prince so in the normal course of things isn’t she the type who would married to him eventually anyway?  Her background should not be an issue at least. 

I mean he lived in total isolation and was never allowed to leave the palace or have any social interaction, and I'm sure he's central to the story of ho dam and well soon learn he's no ordinary prince. But in most cases you'd be right. Really excited for next weeks episodes.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Silvermoon said:

Ikr!!!! The maid is the biggest shipper for HR and LR. 

Did LR actually write the poem by himself? He is so falling in love. 

Hmmm...maybe they are LRs verses.

Anyway it was sincere and little clumsy. 

Too bad the king came, I was expecting an accidental kiss. :D

In my opinion, LR is the son of the deposed king and the actual king was the brother of the deposed king. The story of Ho Dam has been written by a historian and it contains the real story of LR. From my point of view, the actual king organized a coup d'etat, and the Queen Dowager couldn't stop her second son to depose the former king but maybe she asked him to spare LR's life by letting live as his own son, while in reality he was just the nephew. LR witnessed the murder of his own father and got so traumatized by it that he suffered from amnesia. Since he lost his identity, the actual king no longer saw him as a thread.  

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

In my opinion, LR is the son of the deposed king and the actual king was the brother of the deposed king. The story of Ho Dam has been written by a historian and it contains the real story of LR. From my point of view, the actual king organized a coup d'etat, and the Queen Dowager couldn't stop her second son to depose the former king but maybe she asked him to spare LR's life by letting live as his own son, while in reality he was just the nephew. LR witnessed the murder of his own father and got so traumatized by it that he suffered from amnesia. Since he lost his identity, the actual king no longer saw him as a thread.  

Ah, this theory would explain Lee Rim's nightmare.

This is probably the most interesting "serious" story in a romance/fantasy sageuk. 

I'm really excited for next week's episodes. The kings plan of sending him to where there's smallpox, most likely hoping he'll die, is going to backfire as he's going to come back more educated and definitely with a purpose as he finds out the palace has been lying and he's seen it first hand. I can't wait to see his evolution during this time.

Side note: I want him to barge into the palace during a ceremony w/ the royal court and see a few people gasp and say "ho dam". Because I wonder if he was kept away from those because the king didn't want them to ask questions or because he looks like his father and some people from the royal court would recognize him? I also find it curious there was no drawing of him in the book and that those rumors were spread about him so everyone would stay away. That makes me think he looks like his father, cause in the dream he saw himself as the crown prince, and that the king thinks someone may recognize him but then again it could also be because people think the king only has one son and they'd start to ask questions. It'll be interesting to see what the actual reason is.

I'm very curious with the Queen Dowager's statement on the promo when she said "She is the only one who can protect LR!" Is the Queen referring to HR? and in what way is she going to protoect LR?  I wonder if she's going to be trained by the archer lady of the Queen and utilize her archery skills and smarts to protect and help LR mature and discover his own talents. Or is there going to be an intense set up in the future where LR is put in danger by the evil king and HR will be in disguise and save him ( hahah sorry I just love this scene in 6FD when Boon yi disguised as a female spy and saved Bang Won. Very badass!) I totally just want to see some more archery and action from HR and gotta use her smarts in strategy against the evil king.

And I wonder if LJ actually knows about LR's true identity. That's why he is sort of guilty/responsible for LR's confinement and isolation.

I just find it really refreshing that the main lead who is capable and smart is the girl and not the guy. (also, the male lead is not the crown prince- for once! lol) I know it's not the first time in kdramas but it's nice to have the male lead be a bit naive and silly, and show growth throughout the drama instead of being "all that" right off the bat. People who aren't actually watching the drama love to complain about eunwoo's acting and only talk about that, while ignoring the fact that shin se kyung is the titular character and the screentime is reflecting that as well. While lee ji hoon and park ki woong are obviously more seasoned and better actors, they really shine in their given roles so I can't really complain about them not being the leads over CEW given the context of the drama and characters. 

19 minutes ago, SuperTank said:

I'm very curious with the Queen Dowager's statement on the promo when she said "She is the only one who can protect LR!" Is the Queen referring to HR? and in what way is she going to protoect LR?  I wonder if she's going to be trained by the archer lady of the Queen and utilize her archery skills and smarts to protect and help LR mature and discover his own talents.

And I womder if LJ actually knows about LR's true identity. That's why he is sort of guilty/responsible for LR's confinement and isolation.

HR said she had small pox when she was little so maybe that's what she is referring too. I would love to see interactions between LR and the queen dowager. But we've only gotten one scene w/ her and the crown prince. 

I'm not sure if LJ knows as im not sure his age at the time. But I'm curious about HR's brothers involvement as he seems really close to the second state councilor who said I've seen what you're capable of at your lowest. And what about his relationship with mow-ha? And what about HR's parents?

There arent many storylines but there's still so much to discover.

51 minutes ago, spark101 said:

I just find it really refreshing that the main lead who is capable and smart is the girl and not the guy. (also, the male lead is not the crown prince- for once! lol) I know it's not the first time in kdramas but it's nice to have the male lead be a bit naive and silly, and show growth throughout the drama instead of being "all that" right off the bat. People who aren't actually watching the drama love to complain about eunwoo's acting and only talk about that, while ignoring the fact that shin se kyung is the titular character and the screentime is reflecting that as well. While lee ji hoon and park ki woong are obviously more seasoned and better actors, they really shine in their given roles so I can't really complain about them not being the leads over CEW given the context of the drama and characters. 

I find it refreshing that they did a complete swap of gender roles. Lee Rim is the damsel in distress. Honestly Eunwoo is playing his character to a tee. People just have preconceived notions based on them 

thinking its a straight up historical drama or what their idea of a male lead is supposed to be. In other words theyre not used to his character or at least that character being the male lead. And I have no doubt hell get where they want to see him if people are patient. You're right those two actors really fit their respective roles and I honestly can't imagine either of them playing Lee Rim or their characters being the leads instead because of how this is set up. I feel Lee Rim is the male lead because his character is central to the political plot and that's why the other two are more 2nd and 3rd male leads. This is Lee Rims coming of age story.

Yeah the mystery of Mohwa and HR's brother is killing me. So invested in their story as well. 

And btw this weekend, I saw an ig post from Lee jihoon where he looks so pale and his hair is disheveled. After a couple of hours,he deleted the pic. Gosh I wonder what'll happen with him (crossing my fingers his character won't die)

The female and male historians excluding HR also posed for a group pic, Park Ji hyun uploaded it but was deleted as well. 

4 minutes ago, SuperTank said:

Yeah the mystery of Mohwa and HR's brother is killing me. So invested in their story as well. 

And btw this weekend, I saw an ig post from Lee jihoon where he looks so pale and his hair is disheveled. After a couple of hours,he deleted the pic. Gosh I wonder what'll happen with him (crossing my fingers his character won't die)

The female and male historians excluding HR also posed for a group pic, Park Ji hyun uploaded it but was deleted as well. 

Thats interesting because Eunwoo posted photos of him at his food truck on twitter and people thought he was wearing blush but another person pointed out they it looked like bruises on his face...wonder if the two are connected.

13 minutes ago, spark101 said:

People who refused to watch this drama because of their early judgement of the story and the male lead's acting are missing a whole lot of fun.

Also pains me to read that aside from the acting, read a couple of comments criticising the storyline of the drama saying that it is shallow and made for teeneagers. Like whuuut? This is a fusion but the storyline is real good and not immature as what they say. 

Seems like they aren't ready for this type of story yet where the female lead is strong and foes the saving of the male lead. Gosh frustrating how they have judged this drama early on it premier. Hoping more people show some love. International audience seem to love it and I can't wait for dramabeans recap for some discussion. 

@kitkat0425 omg saw that pic and also thought it was just blush!!! (Prollt from getting flustered with HR) glad you mentioned it could be bruises!!! Waaah can't possibly bear the thought of both LR and Historian Min getting tortured or put into some kind of trouble cos of the king. But it would be interesting to get some action!!! Wonder is Min knows how to fight though 

58 minutes ago, SuperTank said:

@kitkat0425 omg saw that pic and also thought it was just blush!!! (Prollt from getting flustered with HR) glad you mentioned it could be bruises!!! Waaah can't possible bear the thought of both LR and Historian Min getting tortured or into some kind of trouble cos of the king. But it would be interesting to get some action!!! Wonder is Min knows how to fight though

So hoping Lee Rim and Min team up to take down the king and second state councilor.

10 hours ago, kitkat0425 said:

So hoping Lee Rim and Min team up to take down the king and second state councilor.

But it will take a while for Min to decide to intervene as he considers that a historian should be neutral and a passive witness. However, he is wrong as a historian is never impartial and neutral. The way a historian relates things is always biased.  

Someone mentioned in the thread that they think The Story of Ho Dam was written by a historian. It’s most likely the true recorded story of the old king’s death and LR’s birth. 

Perhaps the fact that Ho Dam, as the work of a historian, is being suppressed to try to change the historical record will be what forces Min to ally himself with CP/HR and LR. I think he won’t become political in the sense of trying to actively assist a coup - I think that would stray too far for his character - but he firmly believes that historians hold an important role in the system of recording truth for posterity - therefore anyone that is suppressing the truth is someone he will actively work against. 

Archived