[Drama 2018-2019] Bok-Soo's Back / My Strange Hero, 복수가 돌아왔다

Go Seung Ji

Been MIA coz I took a break from Dramaland...should be on board with this drama.  Not sure why detractors are against YSH taking up lighter roles.  It suits his age.  He was cast in dark roles post military where he was depressed and moody most of the time.  Didn't he mention that IANAR was a breath of fresh air for him to act with someone his age for a change and in a role that didn't leave him all morose and downcast most of filming?  I feel like people typecast and pigeon hole actors into rom coms or melo and then decide if they watch or not.  Totally neglecting the fact that if an actor is versatile then he should be able to move between genres at a whim and leave audiences enthralled regardless.  I completely understand if some just find rom coms too fluffy and decide not to even tune in, but please keep an open mind, there are others who appreciate lighter entertainment.  For me, as long as the story makes sense and the leads do a decent job of emoting, I don't mind either way.  He's young, he should be playing all these lighter roles now when he has the chance to.  Older, darker roles can be picked up later when he matures and gets to be too old to be taken seriously in rom coms.

Although from the synopsis I feel like whilst it sounds very rom com like, there seems to be an undercurrent of deeper issues at play which will probably call upon the leads to delve deeper into their databank of emotions to bring about a more nuanced character.  I like the fact that Neruda's poem has been used as an appetizer.  I hope it's the case of still waters run deep in this drama.  I am a bit tentative about the rookie writer though but am willing to give her (?) a chance.  Everyone's gotta start somewhere. :)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Berou yes I think he shines in melo roles. I feel like he was so anxious to break out of that "child actor" stereotype that he took on darker roles early just to prove his mettle and 'grew up' (was forced to) before it was time. But he does melo roles beautifully.  Even in IANAR, the moments where he was welling up or shattered were the times when I felt he came alive on screen. Whilst IANAR didn't do well in Korea I believe it was a big hit overseas though?  And now that audiences are used to him in melo dramas they feel like he's almost taking a step back doing lighter roles?  But I agree, all that melo can't be healthy mentally in the long run.  You need a bit of light hearted humour and fun to balance it out.

The most recent teaser seems to hint at a darker side to this drama. It doesn't sound all comedic?  Too soon to tell but I think he will have the chance to showcase the full range of emotions.  It doesn't sound all fluffy.  Jo BoAh is an up and coming actress so I have high hopes they will hit it off and the loveline will play out as it should and not be a lopsided affair when it comes to acting.  Not long to wait now. :)

:ph34r:

...Is it time to de-lurk?? 

I admit, I had some doubts when the first few teasers came out, but I got really excited when they showed the comedic parts that I was actually clapping. I'm quite confident that there will be a lot of substance to the story (fingers crossed the viewers will see that too), but not too cheesy, I hope.

Coming from his last drama, of course I want this one to be an unexpected hit, but I've realized that it wouldn't matter anyway if YSH didn't get some sort of satisfaction from the project like he did post-INAR. The way he talked about that drama, I could tell he wished it did better, but at the same time it didn't really matter as much as the things he took away from it. After INAR, he was practically blooming; I think what really mattered then was that he thought he had done well (and he did do more than well). Although I wasn't around yet before 2017, based on what I've read and watched so far, yes, ratings are important for him, but not as much as how he thought of the project itself looking back: was he more proud or regretful? 

Sorry I went on for too long. In short, I'm just so excited because YSH is back!!

12 hours ago, Berou said:

POSTER  ! :w00t::w00t:

Spoiler

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=468&aid=0000451590

It gives me manhwa/manga feels . So many mangas have this kind of cover  wow2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862527

I love it. YSH's cool guy vibes, all the innocence of a high school first love... Plus the book beside JBA gives me all the feels. I'm so on board for more poetry. :relaxed:

Yoo SeungHo with an axe to grind.  Yes.  Betrayal by the one person you expected would be on your side no matter what.  Plotting revenge and/or vindication as an embittered adult losing the innocence and naivety of first love.  And potentially forgiveness (?) in the end as a resolution?  Sounds like a full range of emotions for YSH to grapple with.  Bring on 10Dec!  :D

Those posters are so dreamy :wub:.  When is Press Con?  Any idea what is on SBS Mon/Tue 3/4Dec in that drama slot?  I thought Fox Bride Star finished this week?  So strange to leave a breather before the next drama comes out.

6 minutes ago, Berou said:

Do you know which episode is it ? I'm curious to know what she said.  I will post that portion with eng subs if I find them. 

I've watched her in happy together (she made a guest appearance for the 500th episode because she is friends with one of the host) and in battle trip.  I was surprised (in a good way) by her, she was so different. Playing always secondary roles and spoiled bratty rich heiresses made me to not have a good impression of her. 

Episode 158, its last night episode... usually the eng sub release on saturday/sunday 

Yes, she is really different in variety show. I like her personality, she likes extreme sport too..

sorry my english is bad :lol:

5 hours ago, Berou said:

On a side note, SBS is doing a dirty play with the dramas. For example they cut down  the episodes of 30 to 17 and fox bride star. They were originally scheduled for 40 episodes but mid-way for unknown reasons SBS decided to shorten the number of episodes to 32. Let's cross fingers something like this won't happen to our drama. Various unofficial sources state 32 episodes but we never know

Yeah they have been doing strange things of late. They did the same with Your Honour/Dear Judge.  They held Press con on the same day as Premiere for 30 but 17 and also YH?  It was so strange.  :huh:  With YH they held a mini Press Con a week before and then radio show on the same day and then the main Press Con on the same day as the Premiere which was unheard of.  I don't know If it's because usually Wiki and other sources just put down 20/40 as the default and everyone just assumed it was that.  We had the same problem with those 2 dramas and right to the end everyone was left guessing when the finale would be. 

2 hours ago, Berou said:

@nrllee wow it's worse than I thought. I don't remember the last time I've watched a SBS drama. I'm mostly watching cable dramas.  This is a first for me to hear 2 dramas held the press con  on the same day. Yeah, korean wiki stated 40 episodes for fox bride star then changed to 32.  It is really weird to still not know the number of episodes when you are watching.  But I  guess SBS doesn't state it purposely , they can decide half-way to cut down the dramas. It surely has to do with ratings. Nowadays ratings are bad for public channel dramas.  It gives me more reasons to not watch SBS dramas anymore. I  don't like when drama within drama happens.

I know.  It was pitiful even the afterglow was limited?  I was expecting post drama interviews and some pics of wrap up party but nothing?  It was like they just churned the dramas out and then had a small wrap up party with no pics inside or anything.  No post drama thoughts or interviews either?  It was the same for 30 but 17 and YH (both SBS).  Just a rushed clip on the finale day with final thoughts and that was it.  But yes it was so weird to not know how many episodes from the get go and so much of the conversations in the threads was trying to work out how many were left?  Maybe it's budgetary constraints because they are a free to air public channel and don't have as much cash to splash around unlike cable TV which is paid.  And it was even more confusing because of the Asian Games which interrupted episode screening on some nights as well.  Hopefully it will be better with this drama.

@Berou  SBS is probably in a better place now.  YH and 3017 were coming off a major slump for SBS - Undateables was a major flop (it languished at 2-3%) and everyone was raving about Secretary Kim (tvN again) and then it was Mr Sunshine (also tvN).  So I think they were desperate to try new things...so they started doing stuff like combining promos (they had this weird commercial which promoted YH and 3017 together (?) - so weird to join them like that).  And then with the mini Press Con, and with a Radio Broadcast/main Press Con on the same day as Premiere.  We were all scratching our heads with the strange promo campaign.  I think they were relieved that ratings picked up after that so the ship steadied.  Still not fantastic though?  If tvN is pulling 8% and then over 10% for some of the recent dramas, it's not great for free to air channels.

Anyway I am hoping that this drama will kick off well.  Fingers crossed. :sweatingbullets:

Had a quick look and in the Mon-Tue drama slot, there's stiff competition for ratings.  :sweatingbullets:

Already screening

JTBC - Clean With a Passion Now

TVN - Mama Fairy

Premiering 3Dec (week before My Strange Hero)

KBS - Dance Sports Girls

MBC - Less Than Evil/Bad Detective

I saw the trailer! :wub: can't wait to see YSH back on screen! 

@Berou i am planning to participate more in this thread once the drama begins. RL is busy but cannot miss out on our Mr. Sexy Everything :rolleyes: i hope this drama gives us and me lots to discuss and analyze ;) i love a good drama with balanced elements.

Ooo I am liking that last teaser.  Much excitement for Monday 10Dec!  So good to get YSH back on my screen again.  It's been too long.  This will be my first drama watching Jo BoAh.  I like what I see so far in the teasers so I am anticipating good things. :)

@Berou

:huh: we've already seen this scene in the teasers too. I wish SBS would release real new stills. And the last teaser was pretty much the same as the previous one. SBS is in the recycling stage.. Which makes me wonder how many episodes they have filmed till now. I know it is common practice in dramaland to film the first episodes and to wait for the airing in order to change the script according to the public 's taste. This unhealthy practice puts casts and crews in great stress and forces them to do live shooting

Yeah not a fan of live shooting at all.  But I thought it was a given for most KDramas...bar the few that need CGI etc that seem to be pre-produced eg Memories of Alhambra (they are still filming though so not entirely complete yet)?  Or the ones that have really busy actors/actresses and they have to sandwich filming the drama in between their other professional endeavours.  Still waiting for news of Press Con. :huh:

Archived