Go Seung Ji

Ratings 181217:

#MyStrangeHero: 4.5% | 5.9%

#JustDance: 2.1% | 2.2%

#BadDetective - #LessThanEvil: 7.1% | 8.5%

#CleanWithPassionForNow: 3.4%

#MamaFairyAndTheWoodcutter: 3.7%

cr: Netizendrama

Ah, thats why i like her more in variety show.. kdrama fans sometimes hate her because of her character in drama.. i hope its just misunderstanding, or Bok soo's fault :D:P

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, somehow I wanted BS to have partly caused this as well, no matter how indirectly. I'm a sucker for faulty characters, haha (and I want people to ease up on that hate for SJ). Anyway, they have all been deeply affected by that past, especially BS, that they still carry so much of it in the present. I hope they actually talk about it properly on that rooftop the next episode. I'm also curious about SH, there's definitely something wrong with him, but whatever it is BS deserves to get that revenge on him and SJ.

I like that the trailers for each episode make things seem so much more serious that I get caught off guard by all the comedic scenes :lol:

Just finished watching the subbed version.

BS is so stupid I love it (and maybe that's also his fault, he doesn't know anything).

The end of this episode is so intense, it's amazing when you think that a few scenes before it was downright hilarious.

Hmm...just finished last night's episode.  Oh SeHo is an interesting character and his dynamic with his very pushy mother is telling.  She has obviously VERY high standards for him.  For her to NOT know about his life threatening shellfish allergy is almost negligent on her part as a parent?  Did she intend to 'kill' him by having a meal with nothing BUT shellfish on the menu?  It didn't seem like it from watching her reactions.  But perhaps in the eyes of her son it may have 'looked' like it?  Why didn't Oh SeHo tell her about his allergy?  Because he didn't want to be seen as 'weak' in front of her?  I feel like Oh SeHo is a child pushed to the brink to succeed at all costs.  He didn't like that SJ beat his scores in class.  He seemed to almost 'worship' BokSu who despite his academic failings was still the darling of the schoolyard - adored by the female students, a 'hero' figure to the boys (at least he had the reputation of being able to stand up against the bullies).  The way the girl student recounted the story of him saving MinJi (is that her name?) casts an almost legendary cult figure glow over the returning BokSu.  Is Oh SeHo merely a pitiful character who is desperately seeking for affirmation of some kind from the people around him?  His own Mother seems very distant and cold.  He doesn't seem to have any friends.  He got to the point of rock bottom and losing his will to live.  Why would he want BokSu back at school?  I think he is almost obsessed with BokSu to a certain extent.  Notice how his interest to return was piqued when BokSu once again hit 'hero' status from the media coverage when he saved SJ from the river.  It's almost as if he needs to feel like he needs to ALWAYS have the upper hand when BokSu is involved.  It's his own insecurities feeding his need to prove to himself (and possibly his Mother) that he is better.  He resents that BokSu can do whatever he felt like at school and STILL seem to win fans in life.  Deep down, he secretly wishes he could live like BokSu, without a care in the world, but he can't because of his oppressive Mother.  So he turns that instead into a competition to 'prove' to himself that the path he has chosen to walk (as set out by his Mother) is the 'right' one, and that BokSu's path is erroneous.  He can only do this be making BokSu turn out to be the 'loser' in life.

That's a calculated guess on my part based on the first few episodes. More will be revealed in future episodes I am sure.  :)

Watched ep 3 without subs and need subs to have a better idea of what's going on.  I  enjoy reading the interesting insights/opinions given so far.  I actually like that the female lead is shown (for now anyway) as someone who is not the usual candy type seen in K-dramas. And KDY is absolutely slaying it as OSH, this character is intriguing.

YSH is adorable and as mentioned in Knetz' comments, how does he appear to be younger than the other students?

Thanks to HCY North America FB for translation of the beautiful lyrics of OST 3 and HCY's interview in the Making of Video:

Spoiler

58f6e324ebb04b06ad5472ffe511d066.jpeg?s=

Yoo Seung Ho And Jo Bo Ah Share Tense Moment On “My Strange Hero”

Dec 18, 2018
by E. Cha

SBS’s “My Strange Hero” has piqued viewers’ curiosity with its latest stills!

“My Strange Hero” is a new romantic comedy drama starring Yoo Seung Ho as Kang Bok Soo, a boy who is expelled from school after being falsely accused of violence against other students. Years later, Kang Bok Soo returns to the same high school in order to take his revenge, but instead finds himself swept up in a new series of unexpected incidents.

Jo Bo Ah stars in the drama as Son Soo Jung, Kang Bok Soo’s former classmate and first love, who has also returned to the school as a teacher. Although the two high school sweethearts were once in love with each other, an unfortunate misunderstanding has since caused them to grow apart.

The latest episode of “My Strange Hero” ended on a cliffhanger, with Kang Bok Soo leading Son Soo Jung to the school’s rooftop and unexpectedly finding his former classmate and romantic rival Oh Se Ho (played by Kwak Dong Yeon) waiting for them.

On December 18, the drama revealed new stills of Yoo Seung Ho and Jo Bo Ah from its upcoming episode. After running into Son Soo Jung in the school’s administrative office, Kang Bok Soo hears someone enter and quickly pulls Son Soo Jung out of view, covering her mouth with one hand so that they won’t be found.

The newly released photos show Kang Bok Soo holding Son Soo Jung tightly as they hide together, raising the question of whose gaze it is that he so desperately hopes to avoid.

Yoo-Seung-Ho-Jo-Bo-Ah-2.jpgYoo-Seung-Ho-Jo-Bo-Ah-3.jpg

According to the drama’s production crew, Yoo Seung Ho and Jo Bo Ah were incredibly thorough in their rehearsal of the scene, carefully planning out each and every detail of the moment when Kang Bok Soo embraces Son Soo Jung from behind. They reportedly even made some staff members envious by running through their lines while holding each other and adorably reading from the same script.

The producers of “My Strange Hero” commented, “On the last episode, after Yoo Seung Ho returned to Seolsong High School and reunited with Jo Bo Ah, the conflict between the two intensified. In order to find out whether Kang Bok Soo and Son Soo Jung can resolve the misunderstandings of nine years ago and rediscover their first love for the first time in nine years, please tune in to tonight’s broadcast at 10 p.m. [KST].”

Spoiler

Yoo-Seung-Ho-Jo-Bo-Ah-4.jpg

The next episode of “My Strange Hero” will air on December 18 at 10 p.m. KST.

Source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1279819wpp/yoo-seung-ho-jo-bo-ah-share-tense-moment-strange-hero

I am loving the comedy part, it looks like it is going to be similar to Gokusen where he will be solving issues of students and teacher every 2-4 (depends on how you count them) episodes while the main story continues until the end starting with his nephew's issue. It is just an opinion I could be totally off the mark. 

Also, check out the recap of episode 3 (5 and 6): https://www.asiandrama4u.com/my-strange-hero-episode-3-recap/

Hi everyone I'm new here. Just start watching this drama and already catch up since it's just 3 episodes to catch. 

I'm enjoying this drama, last night episode, the funny part for me was when Kang Bok Soo refrain to not beat up those who bullied his nephew. I'm curious about the reason why Oh Se Ho decide to let himself fall from the rooftop and also what Oh Se Ho did to Son Soo-jung that make Kiang Bok Soo so angry back then? And of course I also curious why Son Soo-jung testified that it's Kang Bok Soo who push Oh Se Ho from the rooftop.

All the cast acting really well, Jo Bo Ah and Yoo Seung Ho chemistry i can feel it already. Can't wait for tonight episode, hope this drama will surprise us

Ok she thinks BS was the one who told everyone she is poor I really dont get why she think he would do that to her.

Man they where so sweet with  each other he did not care about her status h even came back to fix and paint her door. I cannot wait for their romance to star anew. :(

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

Ok she thinks BS was the one who told everyone she is poor I really dont get why she think he would do that to her.

Man they where so sweet with  each other he did not care about her status h even came back to fix and paint her door. I cannot wait for their romance to star anew. :(

She did say that BS wasn’t the type of person to do that and then Se Ho mentioned BS and the gate which would seem pretty damning. I guess SH must have been spying on them but she wouldn’t know. 

Done watching 4th episode with English sub, seriously I can't get over Yoo Seung Ho handsomeness :D 

videotogif-2018-12-18-02-17-05.gif

I like how Bok Soo convince that student Oh Young Min, the line he said very meaningful to the situation "It's you who can free yourself from the prison you created" totally agreed it's ourselves that have the control of ourselves not our parents or teacher or others. 

So the reason Son Soo Jung not trust Kang Bok Soo because she thought it was Bok Soo that spread the news about her house, she didn't believe it was Bok Soo but that jerk Se Ho convince her, I hope soon Son Soo Jung will found out the truth about the past.

I like when Bok Soo told Se Ho "You are no different from your mother" it's confused me, did Se Ho want Bok Soo attention and care or Se Ho want to make Son Soo Jung his? 

I think Son Soo Jung will defend Bok Soo in disciplinary meeting. And totally agreed with knetz about S Crystal it's really funny. 

4 hours ago, qynn said:

I guess SH must have been spying on them but she wouldn’t know

Yes I think so, SH must be stalk them in the past, SH stalk Bok Soo even after 9 years, SH told his secretary to stop following Bok Soo, that's mean he's been stalking Bok Soo for too long. 

3 hours ago, Berou said:

Ratings

Ep 7 : 4.8 %

Ep 8 : 6.3 % 

We're going to get 2 consecutive broadcasts on the 24th because on the 25th SBS Gayo Daejun takes place.  

Yes two episodes in a day, nice .

My Strange Hero in 3rd position based on Contents Power Index, wow , so happy

Doors - another motif

The writer is using another motif here in the drama. Doors. Physical and mental.

SSJ

The closed door as she is told by OSH not to ‘go into the classroom’ as the students come out and accuse her of lying about her social economic status.  The closed door as SJ overhears the conversation between OSH and KBS on the rooftop (which leads to her misunderstanding him).  All alluding to her closing her mind to KBS’s side of the story.  She takes KBS to a rich person’s front door and then gets him to leave (hiding behind a ‘made up’ door in her mind and only wanting to show the outside world a ‘pretend’ life that she has).  She has created for herself a ‘door’ in her mind, only showing the side which she believes others want to see...she hides her real self.  She is fake.  KBS keeps reminding her of the saying that she can only hide her fake self for so long because it is exhausting to pretend all the time.  It is ‘prison’ that only she can free herself from.

KBS

Contrast KBS.  Very real from the start.  What you see is what you get.  He doesn't pretend to be who he is not.  He looks past the veneer of made up doors and isn’t afraid to break down barriers.  He paints the door of SJ’s house pink with love hearts as if to say to her, “I don’t care that you are poor.  There’s nothing to be ashamed of.  You can make do with what you have and still live a good life.  And I still love you just as you are.”  He breaks down the glass door dividing the students, saving MinYoung in the process (notice that BS is the only one who really 'heard' MinYoung's cry for help - he could see that it was a deeper hurt that needed to be addressed).  Notice how liberated MinYoung felt in the sick bay bed...he no longer felt the need to study vocabulary in his sleep, he could just sleep.  KBS broke down the prejudiced view (the door) in his mind about how he looked at himself.  It was okay to be just as he was.  He didn't need to strive to pretend to be someone that he wasn’t.  His self worth was not linked to a place in the glass booth (Ivy class - Ivy League in American school maybe?).  Whilst on the outside, it would appear that KBS was a loser in life, in reality he’s the one winning in the life stakes.  He has his integrity intact, he lives according to what he believes is right and he has a loving and supportive family (and friends) around him.

OSH

And finally our ‘villain’ OSH. He is also hiding behind a door. A made up life that he is altogether, he has it all, he is successful and admired. But he is fooling himself and he knows it. Deep down he too wants to break down that door in his mind and his fake life but he is too scared to do so. I feel like he is envious of BS’s freedom and how he wins friends without having to ‘achieve’ anything. Personally I think he wants that glass door shattered too (he doesn't like the system - remember how it drove him to the brink of suicide?) but he is too cunning and cowardly to do it himself.  Instead I think he wants to use KBS to do the dirty work for him.  He has too much to lose to do it himself. Using KBS as a scapegoat will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. He can abolish the system he didn't like in the first place and take KBS down at the same time. I think that's why he felt that it was ‘too soon’ for KBS to be expelled, he wasn't done with using him. He keeps repeating the line, “they haven't changed”. He is banking on the doors in their minds staying put so he doesn't get any rude surprises.  He wants to use them (KBS and SSJ) as pawns in his grand plan.

3 hours ago, Yenung Joa said:

Thanks for loving the previous Recaps guys :love:

Here is the recap of episode 4 (7&8): https://www.asiandrama4u.com/my-strange-hero-episode-4-recap/

Hope you guys enjoy this one as well.

Thanks for your recap, which I enjoyed reading. And thanks so much for posting the link to HCY's OST in your recap :)

For a bit of fun,  for those who enjoyed OST 3 ...

Explanation:

Spoiler

The melody of"Do You Hear Me"  is co-written by Han Gil who wrote HCY's song last year "A Daily Song".  HCY's fans have noticed that there are scenes from ADS MV that are similar to scenes in My Strange Hero. Hence the mash-up :)

Off to watch Ep 4 with subs ...

About the plot hole, let me give my two cents about it.

SSJ character as based on my observation in these 4 episodes, I think it’s not that SSJ can’t analyze which one she should trust, the new comer or her crush/boyfriend, she just doesn’t want to analyze like what she said to KBS “S Crystal said this : there are many variables in rules, just memorize them” it show that she is someone that doesn’t want to analyze the proses but only want to find how to end it, how to end the matter, how to end her problem. Based on this, I conclude all the reckless decision she made because she doesn’t want to analyze it, she doesn’t want to analyze how many variable in every problem she has, she just want to end it with the easiest way.  SSJ make it as her life principal that’s why most of the time she can’t understand others, this is her easiest way to show her fakeness, like @nrllee said she built her ‘door’ in her mind, only show the side which she believe what others want to see. That’s why KBS trying to warn her that living in fake life will be exhausting. SSJ want to be a teacher that help student to find their dream, but she can’t because she’s been locking in her ‘prison’ only show what others want to see.

Archived