[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SBS New Late Night E News Episode 92 featured a report on The Last Empress Drama. I searched it on YouTube but haven't found it.

The report is quite nice. I don't  understand why SBS  doesn't promote these behind the scene and focus reports. KBS uploads theirs with subtitles!

Anyways, the link of that episode is given below.

The report starts from 26:05 .

Jang Nara's interview starts at 27:42..She talked mostly about her character.

Choi Jin Hyuk's at 29:42. He said he wanted to experience special makeup that'll make him look fat but it's dangerous for shooting in the water and facial expression also seems funny in that. So they had to choose another actor.

There's also a funny BTS between Shin Sung Rok and Choi Jin Hyuk. They were bickering cutely :lol:

Shin Sung Rok's starts at 31:25..He talked about their awkward bromance scene where he said "Will you go with me tonight?" He hated saying those words to a man.. :joy:

Lee Elijah's starts at 33:45..How she hated the cement scene..It wasn't cement though, just flour. But too thick..I must say she did go through a lot for torture scenes.

Oh Ah Rin starts at 35:55..she reenacts a scene..she's just so cute. :wub:

5 hours ago, AlexandraReid said:

Tae Hang Ho guested in Knowing Bros talks bout Choi JinHyuk

Thanks for the posting but unfortunately the link site didn’t seem  safe.

** THH made some news about his appearance in TLE.  I translated an IG clip.
In the article he revealed that he gained 11kg for the drama part in 2 weeks. 

lwZOQeE.jpg

http://tvdaily.asiae.co.kr/read.php3?aid=15485101581431676019

**Yeah PD did a good job for the transition scene with CJH and THH especially the accompanying background music.

((upper part))
'Hang Ho-ya'  [I want to buy something from you]  ((** tease from other member ‘you have no money to buy anything’))  [I really have to buy it.]  

[Magic scissors? ]   [“In the drama, when hair is cut,  (one) turns into a different person magically”] 

[Whenever hair is cut, Hang Ho turns into CJH?]   ((voice)) “That scissors” “That scissors”  

비장(secret treasure)
[After the magic scissors sweep through,]  Aaaa …..    [Hang Ho disappears, and only JH is left behind]  

[“turn into CJH” ]

(‘What is it?’ ‘Hang Ho?’  hahaha  ‘You are comedy-pro’  Embarrassed THH hahaha)

((lower part))
THH: “While JH and I were shooting the scene, I wondered whether it would work” [Can it work….?]

“But PD said it’s okay and we can show some comedy here!"

[“Because of the scene, we had fun shooting”]    

Look at this gorgeous Sunny & Wang Shik MV. The subs are in Vietnamese but the video is super beautiful and clear. I love that the maker included WS's "Don't worry. I'll stay with you" at the end because it made me realize that this scene could be seen as a perfect metaphor/foreshadowing of the future: WS dying (leaving), SN convincing him to get operated when he has almost no time left (her holding on to two of his fingers) and WS surviving (him staying with her). I'm gonna stay hopeful. :P

tumblr_plybfijccN1qbmdgqo1_400.giftumblr_plybfijccN1qbmdgqo8_400.gif

:heart:

source: http://wooyoungbby.tumblr.com/post/182355211436/still-i-couldnt-dare-laugh-in-front-of-the

1 hour ago, booha said:

Thanks for the posting but unfortunately the link site didn’t seem  safe.

** THH made some news about his appearance in TLE.  I translated an IG clip.
In the article he revealed that he gained 11kg for the drama part in 2 weeks. 

http://tvdaily.asiae.co.kr/read.php3?aid=15485101581431676019

**Yeah PD did a good job for the transition scene with CJH and THH especially the accompanying background music.

Upper part))
'Hang Ho-ya'  [I want to buy something from you]  ((** tease from other member ‘you have no money to buy anything’))  [I really have to buy it.]  

[Magic scissors? ]   [“In the drama, when hair is cut,  (one) turns into a different person magically”] 

[Whenever hair is cut, Hang Ho turns into CJH?]   ((voice)) “That scissors” “That scissors”  

비장(secret treasure)
[After the magic scissors sweep through,]  Aaaa …..    [Hang Ho disappears, and only JH is left behind]  

[“turn into CJH” ]

(‘What is it?’ ‘Hang Ho?’  hahaha  ‘You are comedy-pro’  Embarrassed THH hahaha)

((lower part))
THH: “While JH and I were shooting the scene, I wondered whether it would work” [Can it work….?]

“But PD said it’s okay and we can show some comedy here!"

[“Because of the scene, we had fun shooting”]    

I think they wanna reveal how diet make you higher than before...

I hope it more than a day dream if you have a magic diet...

But this is a kind of "some comedy" hihiihi

6 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Shin Sung Rok's starts at 31:25..He talked about their awkward bromance scene where he said "Will you go with me tonight?" He hated saying those words to a man.. :joy:

How Lee Hyuk get jealous when he know that Woo Bin and So Jin is a couple... hahaha... just looks like that he actually love Woo Bin , not Sunny... he jealous toward Sunny that close to Woo Bin

17 hours ago, PutriSalju said:

It's okay to play beauty and the beast as long as both party involved must have the same feeling. If it is one side only, it will only hurting one another. From what we see, Sunny doesn't love Lee Hyuk anymore. She's using him. Means, he will get hurt knowing the upcoming truth. On the other hand, Lee Hyuk is being obsessive to her. And it is danger for Sunny knowing him emotionally unstabile. The writer may change the plot later, but Sunny is definitely developing feelings to Woobin without her realizing. She was curious and worry why he didn't even called while looking at the stars Woobin made. 

I'm not against Lee Hyuk-Sunny paired IF he plays clean. 

I think LHxSunny shippers and K-netz just simply prefer "beauty and the beast/bad boy x good girl" dynamic, it's like some people love spicy food, some people don't, and from what I've seen on insta and twitter, LHxSunny shippers don't really care if LHxSunny is a mutual love or just one-sided love/ blinded obsession from LH, they just simply want the cliché film trope to happen so Sunny can "fix" the bad boy LH.

@supergal99    @flutterby06   :):)

** The Japan fans sent a buffet meal for CJH and a flower and a cake for his award win.   It seems they couldn’t come to Korea so one (or more) Korean fan handled the event for them.   She is one of the Korean fans who attended last Japan FM.
PS on Christmas eve, CJH-DC also sent the snack and coffee trucks.

**The Japan fans sent buffet support for CJH so CJH posted IG with his appreciation note.   

JH:  I want to thank the Japan fan members for sending a buffet.   Having a lack of sleep, I wasn’t able to take good pictures of it.  But the food looked good and very tasty.  It has been hard and I felt exhausted, but  fans’ cheer gave me strength to work on shooting.  I always thank you, thank you, thank you… ^^
PS Previously CJH-DC fans sent the snack and coffee trucks which we enjoyed eating.   I wasn’t in good condition that day so I wasn’t able to meet the fans and give them a thank-you note.  I feel very bad about that.  I want to convey my thanks. ((At the time CJH came down with a bad cold and  had to visit a hospital to receive many shot treatments for duration.))

Spoiler

(translated portion)

((from K-fan))
I know you (CJH) were exhausted from nonstop all-night shooting. Still you came out with a smile for us. I feel grateful.  Please take care of yourself and have a successful shooting for the rest.  I’m happy that I could be able to cheer with Japan fans.  CJH appreciates it very much.

snack + coffee trucks from CJH DC fans (12/24)

@booha thanks for the translation. I actually waited for the sub version of Knowing Brothers just for this cut of Tae Hang-ho :lol: I remembered when someone said in this forum very early on that this drama is a black comedy (and not really other genre). I think he/she was right. PD-nim said to Hang-ho that it is ok to have comedy when he and CJH asked him "will it work?" And Hang-ho said it was a fun experience. I think for all the actors working on this drama, even if they are working grueling hours, they can't have another character as fun as who they are playing right now. I don't think there is a one dimensional character here. 

Not sure if someone posted it here yet. Dramabeans got hold of Jang Nara for a short interview and at 3:30 of the interview she was asked if she knew how crazy The Last Empress will be when she agreed to it.

1 hour ago, rjnchan said:

I think LHxSunny shippers and K-netz just simply prefer "beauty and the beast/bad boy x good girl" dynamic, it's like some people love spicy food, some people don't, and from what I've seen on insta and twitter, LHxSunny shippers don't really care if LHxSunny is a mutual love or just one-sided love/ blinded obsession from LH, they just simply want the cliché film trope to happen so Sunny can "fix" the bad boy LH.

Noo. Please don’t generalize. I hate relationships where the girl/guy tries to fix the other person omg :unsure: I won’t say I’m a devout shipper but I do prefer LHxSunny because I simply find their scenes way more entertaining.

1 hour ago, Crystal Kim said:

Noo. Please don’t generalize. I hate relationships where the girl/guy tries to fix the other person omg :unsure: I won’t say I’m a devout shipper but I do prefer LHxSunny because I simply find their scenes way more entertaining.

I agree with you that the chemistry between LH and Sunny is undeniable, both JNR and SSR are good actors, and technically their characters are legal husband and wife so they can publicly do rom-com scenes any time they want, while Sunny and WB are a married woman and her bodyguard, so they've to be as subtle as possible. Of course, each LHxSunny shippers have different opinions about the ship, but as far as I see on social media, a lot of LHxSunny shippers want LH to get the girl so she can fix his terrible behaviour like how princess Belle "tamed" the beast prince because they think LH is just a lost and abused child who just wants love, and the female lead is his "true love". 

This is just my personal preference. For me Woobin-Sunny chemistry is more dugun-dugun. They both show the maturity of relationship. 

Woobin-Sunny-Hyuk reminds me Memories of Bali where the three leads are equally important. With Jo Insung, the relationship is kinda cute while Jiwon with So jisub is more serious and mature. 

Anyway, we still don't know how this would be ended. I just hope the characters who suffered a lot will get their happy ending. The criminals (no excuses) will end in jailed. 

5 hours ago, rjnchan said:

this drama is wild but something I really didn't expect is the LH-sunny shipping. it really felt like a shocking curve ball but @rjnchan note explains it so much more...  so this shipping cold war tension (not all out war is it? :yum:) reflects several conflicting world views which really cannot be bridged -- the idea of love fixing someone. for some, that is very romantic. for others, love is not antidote for problems such as substance abuse or other issues and one cannot expect love to fix anyone.... however, this drama (as I have posted several times before) is about justice...

4 hours ago, nakatsubebe said:

Not sure if someone posted it here yet. Dramabeans got hold of Jang Nara for a short interview and at 3:30 of the interview she was asked if she knew how crazy The Last Empress will be when she agreed to it.

thank you for posting this video @nakatsubebe; it clearly explains how the actors themselves view it which is quite different from how some of the audience may be seeing this drama. so here's jang nara's answer to why she agreed to this drama:

"the reason why I chose this drama is to portray what lives are for the weakest of the weakest, those with no particular power, or apparent beauty and such. A woman with nothing too special, your everyday girl, going against nation's highest authority to fight, to tear it down and win. This is the plot of the drama and I think that this story might be able to give some sort of hope and courage to women or those who are powerless in societal sense. I will make sure to give it my all so that it becomes such a drama."

if the purpose of the drama is to uplift audience and to restore a sense of feel that those with power will not always win, then the entire villain gang including hyuk need to fall. lee hyuk will not get a pass and neither is sunny going to give him some leeway as she is no longer that naive fangirl

These Photos are so "Dispatchable"! :lol:

Speaking of FMV I've found one that I liked very much. 

It's Sunny-Woo Bin centered.

Spoiler

Dx1Y_80U8AA2bma?format=jpg&name=small

IMO, the main reason why Chief Byun (Late Empress's father) told Wang Shik to not pursue his love for Sunny is mostly because she's the Empress of the nation. If Sunny also ends up loving Woo Bin and it gets exposed, it'll create a scandal. The citizen won't be on Sunny's side if that happens while she's the Empress. ED-Emperor tried using that already. So naturally it'll endanger the Empress's dignity.

Wang Shik knows that very well because he have been approached more than twice for farming Sunny for adultery scandal. Also both his life and health are in severe danger! So he's trying to check his emotions accordingly...

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Speaking of FMV I've found one that I liked very much. 

It's Sunny-Woo Bin centered.

that FMV really made me feel how passionate sunny and wang shik's connection actually is... it has been sort of lost among the madness of the drama but put it in a MV, woah!... :love:

the vid's title was "walk through the fire" and there is a refrain in the song "we walk through the fire. is there a way out?" -- in that context, trust and companionship ends up taking a very passionate feel. here, we see two people who are thrust into these dangerous situations. they have been burned so badly by their previous partners that it would be easy to lose faith in all people. so from there, to take a step forward believing that this person will be there for you 100% is a huge jump.

in a safe, normal time, trust and companionship may not seem as special and even comes across as boring. however, the feel that you are not alone in this battle and can rely on someone is indeed very special and very passionate during troubled times. so, when we see wang shik-sunny's relationship through a lens of "walk through the fire", then indeed, there is real passion and genuine care.

this is the kind of love and passion where someone will sacrifice themselves for you even without blinking an eye. they will walk the extra mile when you are down and not expect anything in return. it is quieter but the warmth they bring can still the raging fire you are walking through for a moment and bring that much needed moment of quiet silence. sometimes, a quiet romance can also be very grand and passionate! -- fantastic video! :wub:

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

this drama is wild but something I really didn't expect is the LH-sunny shipping. it really felt like a shocking curve ball but @rjnchan note explains it so much more...  so this shipping cold war tension (not all out war is it? :yum:) reflects several conflicting world views which really cannot be bridged -- the idea of love fixing someone. for some, that is very romantic. for others, love is not antidote for problems such as substance abuse or other issues and one cannot expect love to fix anyone.... however, this drama (as I have posted several times before) is about justice...

thank you for posting this video @nakatsubebe; it clearly explains how the actors themselves view it which is quite different from how some of the audience may be seeing this drama. so here's jang nara's answer to why she agreed to this drama:

"the reason why I chose this drama is to portray what lives are for the weakest of the weakest, those with no particular power, or apparent beauty and such. A woman with nothing too special, your everyday girl, going against nation's highest authority to fight, to tear it down and win. This is the plot of the drama and I think that this story might be able to give some sort of hope and courage to women or those who are powerless in societal sense. I will make sure to give it my all so that it becomes such a drama."

if the purpose of the drama is to uplift audience and to restore a sense of feel that those with power will not always win, then the entire villain gang including hyuk need to fall. lee hyuk will not get a pass and neither is sunny going to give him some leeway as she is no longer that naive fangirl

Absolutely agree, I mean, the new version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast has given people bad message after it became a blockbuster movie. In the 2017 version, Disney also used "bad childhood" as an excuse to explain why the beast prince was a j*rk and treated people really bad to the point that the fairy had to curse him. While the 1991 version acknowledged the truth that the beast was a bad person because he chose to be like that, there was no excuse for his behaviour, but then he transformed into a better person because he truly loved Belle. I don't understand why Disney did that, but I'd rather see them stay true to the old version.

1 hour ago, rjnchan said:

Absolutely agree, I mean, the new version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast has given people bad message after it became a blockbuster movie. In the 2017 version, Disney also used "bad childhood" as an excuse to explain why the beast prince was a j*rk and treated people really bad to the point that the fairy had to curse him. While the 1991 version acknowledged the truth that the beast was a bad person because he chose to be like that, there was no excuse for his behaviour, but then he transformed into a better person because he truly loved Belle. I don't understand why Disney did that, but I'd rather see them stay true to the old version.

ugh. am so glad that I didn't watch the new version. watched the trailer and some bits and was so bored that I didn't bother. would have been really ticked off by such a fundamental change in the story...

the idea of bad childhood as an excuse is troublesome because by that logic, everyone with a bad childhood should be avoided or wary as a threat because you never know what they are capable of.. it would be like saying criminals only come from bad backgrounds while we know that isn't the case. there are plenty of people who have had normal childhoods and are very awful people like the prince in the original...

as for love saving someone from their worst behaviour, wonder  if age/life experience plays a factor in how we view it. there was a local movie which was inspired by the producer's own life. he falls in love with this frail brilliant actress and it is revealed that she has schizophrenia. he tries so much to help her but in the end, she is not able to beat her hallucinations or addictions and kills herself. he is racked with guilt and the doctor tells him that it is not his fault and he comes to accept that it is one of those situations where love isn't enough. so yea, 'saved by love' seems like a nice concept but then in real life, it seems like a reason for people to destroy themselves thinking that they can save someone.

so yea, very different views on some real life issues and perhaps, that is why this shipping cold war tension has a very unique friction. rather than two ships, it is really different world views colliding...

Archived