[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

the kill count bet -- the list more or less stays the same from last week. 9 or 10 actual deaths but fake/close deaths rises to 22 from 17 .... unlike our expectations, it looks like no one will win the bet except for jbeanie1709

Hide contents

Updated notes:

** original bet from december had about 7-8 ish people (not counting the fake deaths); count currently stands at 9 or 10 -- same as last week.

** the fake death has increased to 22 -- sunny, wang shik + the 2 paparazzi reporters who got shot at

fake/close death list: wang shik & sunny in lake, emperor stabbed in neck, wang shik in sea, sunny in cliff, sunny almost falls off crane, sunny getting hit by stone, helro and dad almost burnt, yura getting cement poured on, servant lady getting beaten by empress, yura fakes death with yellow truck, yura almost burns with yellow truck, emperor and his motorbike incident, royal guard who is no longer missing but in mental hospital, old guard who showed up in front of yura, ari's peanut allergy, sunny's road trip with wang shik and 2 papparazi reporters.

so about 22 fake/close deaths?

UPDATED:

so far, 1 villain (Ma pil joo) have been killed, 5 good people killed (grandma, mom of wang shik, queen so hyun, chief hong, sunny's mom), miscellaneous people (the royal guard's brother who attempted to kill emperor + 2 or 3 buddies + the doctor at imperial hospital) , all together about 9 or 10*** folks? going forward, how many more characters will disappear? 

"the kill count!" bet  sword-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455363

option 1: this isn't OCN with bad depressing lighting! surprised-red-crab-emoticon.gif?12924553so maybe few : maybe another 1-5? -- @jbeanie1709 

option 2: this is a modern saeguk! what's a saeguk without some tragedy? thinking-red-crab-emoticon.gif?129245536so a few more + miscellaneous random people from palace we don't care about: so maybe another 6-10? -- lmangla @katakwasabi  @ktcjdrama  @triplem @nakatsubebe

option 3: they are taking down the monarchy, it will be a revolution! ops-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455361: so maybe more than 10? --  @chubby^green^   @booha  @gm4queen

Hahaha.. never won anything in my life but this kill count bet!..:lol: 

one thing I hope is that no matter how small the kill count is please dun let WS/WB be one of the fatalities!!!

yup.. I would agree.. it’s a big NO for Sunny to end up with LH. Believe me he will go ballistic when he finds out that Sunny too has feelings for WB.. his expression at the end of last episode was so scary. Anyone who betrays his trust will end up with a gun pointing at their head or will suffer terribly. I cannot imagine he will react otherwise. This will be 10 x worse as it is his dongsaeng and his beloved empress.

i am now very curious of Min YR intentions from the beginning. Even if she wanted to seek revenge or find out about her ex fiancé, this still, does not justify her abandoning her son and killing WS mom. Maybe greed and power was more tempting ..hmmm..

The subsequent episodes should be focused back on revealing the identity of WB. Now it seems that everyone is trying to find out more about him.. ED, MYR and very very soon LH too. This is the showdown I am looking forward too. The story started with the killing of WS’s mom. It should end with the right people caught or punished.. [ not expecting the police to be involved here).. even after digging up a corpse, no further investigation??..:blink:

does anyone know if there is really going to be an extension of the drama to 52 episodes?.. I don’t think they should unless they need time to wrap up the whole story since writer-Nim added so much twists into the drama and can’t seem to close the mysteries in the palace.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

There is possibilty Woobin won't die at the end but getting amnesia because of surgery in his head. After all problem solved, he might get surgery then probably remember the sweet memories only  (his mom and Dongsik). Thus, he can live happily with Dongsik while Sunny with emperor (if they really end up together). It will be the safe chpice if the writer wants to follow most fans want. 

But I do hope all criminals  get punishment, including Lee Hyuk.

with Dongsik??? Arent its better if he ends up living happily with his own dad? I know at this moment KJS seems crazy, but I can imagine of him being a great dad for dongshik. :smirk:

Spoiler

DxwxzsZUYAAxAKY.jpg

I agree with several of you that the SN\LH pairing is a pipe dream and in my opinion won't happen. I mean, SN still hates his guts...hard to be a couple with someone when one of them hates the other. Their relationship is very one sided and I have yet to see anything that has softened SN to LH or view him in a positive light. As viewers, we know a lot more about LH background and his motivations than SN does, so it is easier for us to view a possible pairing. But while we have seen alot about LH, SN has not. To her, he is the spoiled evil man who tried to kill her, kill other innocents and kill her family. Unless something happens, SN's personality will not let her stay with him. I see her bidding her time until all the truth has been revealed and then she is cutting him out of her live.

At this point, SN is more likely going to end up with WS. I think she feels more for him than she is willing to acknowledge because she cannot risk being exposed. But I think they do love each other, they emotionally rely on each other, are the first person they turn to, they protect each other, and they understand each other deeply. It is not a giddy romantic love that they have, but a deep, silent, mature love. At least that is what I see.

8 hours ago, rjnchan said:

2. [+149,-62]
Please change it to a month. Scriptwriter, you still have a chance to do that. OhLee, get it?

Seriously??? Some K-netz are really out of their mind! As if Lee Hyuk didn't ruin Na Wang Shik's life enough?? He lost his mother and ended up losing his identity because Emperors dogs are after him..

Dw_79khU0AA1Kju.jpg

Do they think that Wang Shik being dead will make Sunny fall in love with Lee Hyuk or what??

Sunny had a soft corner for Chun Woo Bin way before she came to know his real identity..Because he saved her on from being dead on her wedding night..and when she knew who he was it increased more. She started taking more care for him.

And now ow Sunny is slowly but surely falling for Wang Shik..

DwgHyEbWkAAJpRy.jpg

If they're in doubt I recommend them to go back at epsodew 15(29-30)..She was so flustered and happy when Wang Shik gave her the red scarf..but she also kept reminding herself not to think too much as it's just a thank you gift...and look how often she wear that scarf.

DxJp4LbWsAAUAtX.jpg

Or they should revisit episode 17..where Sunny seemed pretty disturbed seeing Princess So Jin with Wang Shik.. and then the lovely dancing scene where  the moment she fell on Wang Shik's arm, she quite naturally and happily started to dance.

Look How she tries to make Wang Shik smile more..

Spoiler

Lee Hyuk lost his chance to Sunny and it's not coming back regardless of Wang Shik being dead or alive..

Rather than wishing for Wang Shik's death Emperor supporters should just pray for Lee Hyuk's sanity..that it remains till the end of the drama.

Na Wang Sik is most pitiful if I could say. But why knetz doesn't has symphaty for him? Because he is physically and mentally strong not like the cry cry baby Lee Hyuk who always begging love for someone. Remember he did the same with Min Yura before. And he likes Woobin because he thought he has loyalty for him too. But for Woobin, though he just left 3 month, what he think first is finishing revenge and who will take care Dongsik and Sunny. He trained her harder though he knows it is hard for new comer like her. 

On the other hand, Lee Hyuk is very dependant person. He thirsty for people attention. Remember when the royal family went to mall and reporters prefer to take Sunny's picture? 

The writer maybe can make another unexpected change, but looking at his personality once he found out WB-SN, he definitely will kill them both.

50 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

Na Wang Sik is most pitiful if I could say. But why knetz doesn't has symphaty for him? Because he is physically and mentally strong not like the cry cry baby Lee Hyuk who always begging love for someone. Remember he did the same with Min Yura before. And he likes Woobin because he thought he has loyalty for him too. But for Woobin, though he just left 3 month, what he think first is finishing revenge and who will take care Dongsik and Sunny. He trained her harder though he knows it is hard for new comer like her. 

On the other hand, Lee Hyuk is very dependant person. He thirsty for people attention. Remember when the royal family went to mall and reporters prefer to take Sunny's picture? 

The writer maybe can make another unexpected change, but looking at his personality once he found out WB-SN, he definitely will kill them both.

Lee Hyuk is a very needy person.  And, he is a bad person.  No arguing there.  But recently, I have been having some sympathy for him.  Regarding his need for attention, the fact of the matter is that it probably stems from never receiving true parental attention and affection in his youth.  Yes, as the future emperor he needs to be strong and self-sufficient.  But, his mother nor his father ever gave him the foundation of love that a child needs to grow into a self-sufficient and strong person.  instead, they made it worse.  Look at how Ari is raised.  She is raised to study all day and do nothing physical for herself.  She is how old? and yet still being spoon-fed.  In a way, all LH is doing is looking for someone to just love him or accept him for who he is.

NWS, on the other hand, was raised by a mother who  loved him whole-heartedly.  He wasn't very smart, but he knew his mother loved him.  Sunny also knows that she was loved.  That love and unconditional acceptance gave them the confidence to grow up strong.  On top of that, we know that LH's parents had a screwed up moral compass.  Grandma seemed to be good, but it also seems that she didn't have much interaction with LH in his youth.  I would say, given what the ED is like, I'm surprised that LH isn't worse than he is right now.

On a side note, so is the sapphire necklace that Sunny has a fake?  Was the real one buried with Empress SH?  If so, that would explain that cheap, plastic noise the necklace that Sunny wears makes.  I know it's fake in real life, but every time they move that necklace, it rattles and sounds so fake.  I keep laughing and wondering why they don't mute the volume on the drama, or even better, why are they even moving it?  Just have the actress wear it, or showcase it in its box.

3 hours ago, PutriSalju said:

I said it before and I'll say it again...lol. It's the fault of the writing....the scriptwriter just focus more emphasis on the villain than the main character.

SSR's character is more charismatic because he has more range of expression (and that goes to show he's a good actor) because the emotional part is delivered through expressive explosion and sometimes subtle emotional release. The character is just more animated, hence he's more entertaining for the viewer.

CJH's character, Na Wan-Shik, is more subtle and stoic...hence, it makes less of an immediate impact. You really have to grasp his little emotional expression...the little nuances that the actor expresses...and for a viewer who likes to watch a drama for entertainment (and in this case, it is about entertainment since it is a makjang) his character is just too reserve, and some of these these viewers aren't watching the drama for subtlety, which CJH is delivering (the man could really act with his eyes...just watch it!). 

I bet, everyone would pity NWS for his dilemma in real life...and in fact, I think everyone would be on NWS's boat if LH was less flush out as a character than NWS because morally, LH had committed horrific crime. Nobody, would like to be in NWS's shoe and not wish for revenge and justice. 

8 minutes ago, 0timelost said:

I said it before and I'll say it again...lol. It's the fault of the writing....the scriptwriter just focus more emphasis on the villain than the main character.

SSR's character is more charismatic because he has more range of expression (and that goes to show he's a good actor) because the emotional part is delivered through expressive explosion and sometimes subtle emotional release. The character is just more animated, hence he's more entertaining for the viewer.

CJH's character, Na Wan-Shik, is more subtle and stoic...hence, it makes less of an immediate impact. You really have to grasp his little emotional expression...the little nuances that the actor expresses...and for a viewer who likes to watch a drama for entertainment (and in this case, it is about entertainment since it is a makjang) his character is just too reserve, and some of these these viewers aren't watching the drama for subtlety, which CJH is delivering (the man could really act with his eyes...just watch it!). 

I bet, everyone would pity NWS for his dilemma in real life...and in fact, I think everyone would be on NWS's boat if LH was less flush out as a character than NWS because morally, LH had committed horrific crime. Nobody, would like to be in NWS's shoe and not wish for revenge and justice. 

YES!.. spot on!.. it is the way the characters are written and the audience’s preference. My fav genre is suspense, crime, thriller and NWS draws me in more compared to LH. CJH literarily nailed this role!.. one can get sucked into the eyes of this man.. the delivery of his emotions be it angry, sad, frustrations and even shyness/happiness are on point in this crazy drama and it is through his eyes.. very little dialogue. . If you had watched him in Devilish Joy, he is completely opposite and very charismatic. Hehe.. of course his deep voice is to die for:wub:

My opinion, which may not be correct

Is thinking that ws / wb will be King use the royal command to marry sj because the sister has requested.
Now, sn and ws / wb are not free.
ws/wb is most pitiful
Forbidden Love
KJS is the key.The story of Jeon Geum, why is ED wanting to be here? What secrets do ED want to close?

@0timelost said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for giving a thoughtful explanation about NWS/CWB.   Yes exactly “more subtle and stoic”:  NWS/CWB exists under a heavy weight of sorrow and guilt because he wasn’t there for his mom.  
Also as an imperial guard, he has to suppress his personal side so that he can concentrate on the main duty of protecting the imperial family.
 NWS is a simple man, a commoner. He was a street punk but he gave it up because of his mom.    To him a family means sharing a simple meal together and caring for each other without precondition or calculated design.
So I appreciated how CJH approached NWS/CWB.  There is so much in his measured and reserved expression. So much intensity in the eyes.  
Yes  this drama is about the struggle between good and bad. The writer should have put more of her energy on the good side. Well maybe the writer only has talent for creating interesting villains.  It’s a bit disappointing to see the villain characters take over most of the plot time here.  

Btw some thought if LH had been given love like NWS had, he would have been different. But what the difference between NWS and LH is that NWS doesn’t ask much for his life, just sharing a meal and caring.  It’s hard to imagine LH would be content to live in a tiny house and not much else.

JH: Sunny & WS.   Not much left (meaning, getting close to the end?)… let’s keep the strength up  noona…

5 hours ago, PutriSalju said:

I agree with you, and so far the writer has done many favors for LH by giving the audience a lot of LH's pitiful childhood flashback. It can provoke people's sympathy and make them forget that LH is one of the villains of this show.

A question about Ari. She doesn’t know the nanny is her mother? I mean if she was adopted by the empress and she knows LH is her real father, then she should also know princess isn’t since brother and sisters didn’t do the nasty to have her. Also the nanny got the nice room because she’s officially acknowledged as the bio mom and even showed up in news blurred, didn’t ari see any of that and connect the dots since she’s very intelligent?  

2 hours ago, booha said:

Yes  this drama is about the struggle between good and bad. The writer should have put more of her energy on the good side. Well maybe the writer only has talent for creating interesting villains.  It’s a bit disappointing to see the villain characters take over most of the plot time here.  

Btw some thought if LH had been given love like NWS had, he would have been different. But what the difference between NWS and LH is that NWS doesn’t ask much for his life, just sharing a meal and caring.  It’s hard to imagine LH would be content to live in a tiny house and not much else.

the writer is very talented at writing multi-faceted villains and in many of her dramas, the actors who play villains end up having a breakout kind of role like lee yuri from jang bori......in comparison to the villains, her leads are often sane, smart, and quietly working out the details once they lose their naive feel... am really enjoying the portrayal of wang shik as there is so much nuance like others have pointed out...

we don't need to see grand words or actions as we already know how wang shik feels about sunny and the trust between them... a quiet scene I liked was when sunny is walking and there is a wood curtain type separating them and wang shik is walking on the other side and they do a subtle nod to each other indicating the plan is on. it indicates team work, co-ordination as well as trust. 

actually don't really feel sorry for lee hyuk despite all that background.... maybe because he seems so cold?... he doesn't come across as someone you can trust at all.... whereas with some of the other villains, actually felt sorry for them even while cheering for their downfall as they felt more real and genuine....

perhaps, the difference is that those villains knew they were doing wrong, felt some measure of guilt but kept convincing themselves that it was necessary. so the weight of their actions hung over their heads and there was a sense of coming doom... hyuk, ED, nanny -- pretty much all the villains here suffer from entitlement complex where they feel that they are entitled to do what they feel like and there will be no repercussions for their actions. there is zero guilt..

the only one who felt some amount of guilt was yura but then she shakes it aside... so yura's journey is far more interesting to me as we see her now reeling under this news that kang joo seung was supposedly having an affair with the soo hyun empress. so what will she do going forward?

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:30 PM, Lmangla said:

the only one who felt some amount of guilt was yura but then she shakes it aside... so yura's journey is far more interesting to me as we see her now reeling under this news that kang joo seung was supposedly having an affair with the soo hyun empress. so what will she do going forward?

Same here..I'm also interested in Yura's story..So far she've betryed her family members one by one and still after Na Wang Shik by baiting Dong Shik without feeling any remorse. But she seemed pretty agitated when she heard about Kang Joo Seung-So Hyun also suspect that Imperial Family might've done something to KJS..So what'll she do when she knows that KSJ is alive and kept in the mental hospital so that he could not spill Imperial Family's dark secrets.

Previously, when @gm4queen was confused why Dong Shik was calling Yura Noona I answered that he knows that Na wang Shik's mother is his mother and Yura is a noona who lived with them.. It slipped my mind that Dong Shik also knows that Yura was his brother's (Wang Shik) girlfriend ..Empress So Hyun's father asked Dong shik who's Yura. In reply Dong Shik said "My Hyung's girlfriend."

Poor child..lost his mother and suddenly his life is changed..must be confused about this situation.. why's hyung's girlfriend after his hyung! So glad that he doesn't know Yura is actually his mother. I hope it stays like that.

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

A question about Ari. She doesn’t know the nanny is her mother? I mean if she was adopted by the empress and she knows LH is her real father, then she should also know princess isn’t since brother and sisters didn’t do the nasty to have her. Also the nanny got the nice room because she’s officially acknowledged as the bio mom and even showed up in news blurred, didn’t ari see any of that and connect the dots since she’s very intelligent?  

think she knows and guesses which is why she was willing to give nanny a hug and also listens to her on occasion.. however, ari is not willing to acknowledge her roots for social as well palace political reasons and has been taught by nanny to play her cards. so initially she was clinging to sunny for power but now, is responding as child would to genuine love, affection and kindness. so she is genuinely getting attached to sunny and sees her as a mother figure that she never had..

IMHO both Na Wang Shik and Lee Hyuk are pitiful characters albeit in different ways.The difference lies in the circumstances which turned them into what they are today.

Unlike NWS or Sunny who grew up in a normal and healthy environment,Lee Hyuk was brought up in the toxic and extremely competitive environment of the palace.He was mentally and emotionally abused in his childhood and that form of abuse does have a great impact on one's personality.It leaves a person scarred after a point.

The scene with Seo Kang Hee and Princess Ari mirrored the Empress Dowager and Lee Hyuk's scene.Just like SKH was trying manipulate Ari's tender mind by planting insecurities there,ED had done the same to LH and who knows even more.Unlike Ari,Lee Hyuk wasn't lucky enough to have a maternal figure like Sunny to protect him and have a positive influence on his life.

NWS never knew what tragedy was before it happened to him and that's the reason why he is physically and mentally 'strong'.

Lee Hyuk is no saint but neither is he a villain.Mostly he is a tool used by the other villains to do their dirty work.He gets easily manipulated because his insecurities are deeply rooted in him.

Also I have observed that he does get blamed unnecessarily.I will leave Empress So Hyun's case since no one knows who the real murderer is.

But let's consider the other cases like NWS' mom's death and Sunny's mom's death.

The one who was 95%responsible for NWS' mom's death was Min Yu Ra.At the end she knew that Mom was alive and she could have still saved her life.But she chose not to.Infact she was the one who hit Mom with a rock and caused her to be hit by LH's car.

NWS knows this and yet he directs most of his anger towards LH instead of Yura who is the actual culprit and LH was only the accomplice.

About Sunny's mom then LH was himself injured and he didn't take the decision to steal the blood which was for her mom.It was taken by the Empress Dowager.LH wasn't even in a state where he could be aware of what was going on.I found it surprising that Sunny lashed out at LH instead of ED who was the only one responsible for it.

I am not rooting for Lee Hyuk and Sunny to be the endgame for I know it's impossible.Maybe SSR and JNR can star together in another drama for they have an excellent chemistry but that's not the topic.

But I want him to be punished only for the crimes which he did,i.e,being an accomplice in NWS' mom's death.

He should certainly not die or be held responsible for the crimes of Yura,ED and SKH.And I want the issues regarding the abuse he faced and his mental health to be addressed and dealt with sensitively.That's all.

As far as NWS is concerned then he doesn't deserve to die either and he should survive and end up with Sunny for that would be right.

Lastly nothing in the world is entirely good or entirely bad.People are flawed and grey shaded which is why I find LH to be an interesting and realistic character as compared to the totally dark villains like MYR or ED.

6 hours ago, onlyash said:

Lee Hyuk is no saint but neither is he a villain.Mostly he is a tool used by the other villains to do their dirty work.He gets easily manipulated because his insecurities are deeply rooted in him.

Also I have observed that he does get blamed unnecessarily.I will leave Empress So Hyun's case since no one knows who the real murderer is.

But let's consider the other cases like NWS' mom's death and Sunny's mom's death.

The one who was 95%responsible for NWS' mom's death was Min Yu Ra.At the end she knew that Mom was alive and she could have still saved her life.But she chose not to.Infact she was the one who hit Mom with a rock and caused her to be hit by LH's car.

NWS knows this and yet he directs most of his anger towards LH instead of Yura who is the actual culprit and LH was only the accomplice.

I do feel like some of LH deeds are sometimes forgotten.

The thing is yes LH is a puppet the majority of the time but he has been responsible for a lot of crimes, some information may have been withheld from him but doesn't change the fact how he has acted.

For SH it was the nanny that was responsible but what about the fact he attacked his pregnant wife, pushed and left her in the lake and walked away..

With WS mother sorry but MYR and LH were equally responsible here. You could say the same thing about LH, he could have also saved her life. If he immediately called the ambulance as soon as he hit her she may have still been alive. Instead he hit her, proceeded to then put her in the trunk for who knows how long, and decides with MYR to just dump her body. Both their actions resulted in the death of WS mother.

As for WS he is directing both his anger towards LH and MYR, but lets also remember that LH has tried to kill WS and the reason he has the bullet in his head and dying is because of LH.

Even after everything he has done to WS you would think he would feel sorry and understand why WS would be after him but nope no remorse yet about his actions.

Also what about dragging Sunny in this mess, and trying to kill her twice..?

Also trying to kill his grandmother, because he was not happy with the fact that she was going to report the family..?

His involvement with the lies about his grandmother real will..?

Going back to the beginning, didn't he have that journalist killed because he was asking questions that he didn't like..

LH has committed his share of crimes as well.

No excuse again for the childhood stories. Crime is crime. He has been loved by his late wife but he still did bad things to her. Lee Yoon doesn't want to stay in the palace since he knows how bad the environment there. Lee Hyuk has put his choice. He's an adult who knows to diffentiate bad or good. He's smart enough to knowledge when hit someone, he must hurry to go to hospital. Not hiding them in his car. I fed up with all the excuses some fans of this drama to him. People should stop dramatize his childhood because it is wrong. How many life already suffered because his cowardness. He did against his mom not because he knows she's bad but because of SUNNY. Until know, I don't see him regrets towatds his doing but just for the sake getting Sunny's love. That's all. 

Archived