[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Hello everyone, I am caught up with ep 11 and 12 and I like them! Couple thoughts regarding the episodes:

1. CSH and JH continue to be adorable. Love them and I wish for a happy ending for them.

2. The actings are stable and excellent. I like SHK drunken acting in this drama more compared to her previous role. PBG acting continues to be good. I like him as Taek, crown prince and now JH. PBG is definitely charming and adorable. I hope he continues to be humble, hard working and can manage his fame and talent well until he’s old. It’s scary to think how money and fame have brought many destructions to the young actor and actress at Hollywood. Continue to be good PBG!

3. JWS - I found him very annoying from the beginning of the episodes. However, his character seems to be a bit confusing and I think that he maybe plotting against his mom to save CSH. It seems that CSH and the MIL’s lawyer have been arguing back and forth and perhaps he’s buying director Choi’s shares in order to eliminate CSH’s enemies. His discussion with his uncle seem to hint that he will choose to protect CSH at the end. I know that he’s wrong with his continued staking behavior and becoming co-ceo. However, it seems that he’s the type that can not fight against his mom directly but instead will plot behind his mom’s back to help CSH. It seems that he’s going to do another noble idiocy. We shall see! 

4. On the brand influence - well I’m one of the victim. I saw Sulwahsoo’s counter at the airport on the way to Asia last holiday and purchased the lipstick that JH bought for CSH. Haha...

• Like 17
  • LOL 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, emmafaye said:

Actually, for me, it would be interesting if she loses the hotel. I don't have any doubt she will be successful with another kind of job or another business. But mostly, I would like CSH to scream at them: you can't buy me. Take the money, I don't care. It would be interesting she marries KJH and actually become middle class with him. It would also be a reversal of the typical fairy tale where the couple are not only incredibly handsome but also rich. Why do you have to be rich to be happy?

I would like her to prove everybody, she can be perfectly happy with less. And leave the evil ones enjoy selfishly their rotten wealth by themselves alone LOL. 

@emmafaye I want her to fight. She built this hotel on her own. Donghwa hotel is so successful now because of her. It's not the money of her ex family in law. So why should she say "take the money"? It is the result of her hard work. The hotel that she received as Allimony was nearly bankrupt.

Sure that she can be happy with less. She doesn't need to be rich. But she should not give up on smt, that she was hard working for.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, beebeep said:

Btw, does anyone know who is it that CSH ask driver Nam to investigate? Kim Jin Tae? Who is he? Is he the one that send the bad email to Samuel Haraboji?

Yes, he was the employee who sent this email in order to discredit CSH's reputation. They could only track the phone number he called a lot but the owner of the phone number has changed.

It would be interesting to witness a revolution in that company. Director Choi with Lee decides to switch side and betray JWS and Chairman Kim. In the end, there is no loyalty as money and power are the reasons why they back stabbed CSH. They thought, T. Group would give them a promotion. I hope, they realize that they will never win with that family, they will remain just puppets. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tlireal said:

@emmafaye I want her to fight. She built this hotel on her own. Donghwa hotel is so successful now because of her. It's not the money of her ex family in law. So why should she say "take the money"? It is the result of her hard work. The hotel that she received as Allimony was nearly bankrupt.

Sure that she can be happy with less. She doesn't need to be rich. But she should not give up on smt, that she was hard working for.

I know... I also would have her rather fighting for her work, and so far I think she is doing it, but... if it comes to the point where she would have to give up her position, I would want her to keep her dignity, letting them know she is also very happy without it. 

Maybe I didn't use the right words, and I know nothing about business. Is she has shares, even though she may be removed from her seat as CEO, she still has a voice and means of living through the hotels, but, again... for me it would be interesting if she loses all that, or sell it and move on, and prove them, she doesn't belong to their world. 

I want a happy end... I want a happy end... I crazily want to watch a happy end!!! :neutral:

Please, writer-nim.... give us a happy end!!!! 

• Like 14
  • LOL 2

6 hours ago, winter spring summer said:

Wow my comment wasn't really that deep but you replied with a long lecture about drinking.

Well, when I said it would be interesting to see them both drunk, I'm just referring to their cute antics and certainly not about them doing intimate scenes because I would also prefer them doing it while sober. 

Anyway we all know about Koreans' drinking culture so I think that's why we always see it in dramas. Although I'm not defending their love for drinking because I'm not a fan of it either.

@winter spring summer, it wasn't my intentions to lecture nor am I condemning drinking--I would be a hypocrite if I did; so please don't take it that way.  However, I have a problem with there always being a depiction of drunkenness in K-dramas. I will say that the writer was responsible in the case of CSH in that KJH remained sober to ensure CSH got home safely. In older U.S. comedy movies, the butt of the joke was getting "stoned".  Now we have a crisis in this U.S.....life imitating art.  

I also understand that you were approaching this from the "cute antics" point of view, however, for me, I stopped finding drunken blabbering scenes funny a long time ago.

@NongpeeP, I understand what you mean in your post, however, I want to make sure everyone understand that I'm not saying drinking is wrong. I personally also don't think a drinking scene is ever essential to a plot unless it's the theme of the drama. I also don't like co-workers pressuring a team member to drink if they don't want to. I have to wonder how many people feel pressured to drink in the Korean culture because "it's expected" of them.  .  

Again, I truly appreciate your responses and sharing your thoughts. I do hope one day that I'll see a drama and there is no drinking to the point of being drunk. Again, didn't mean to lecture.  

Also, thanks @thistle!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

.....I personally also don't think a drinking scene is ever essential to a plot unless it's the theme of the drama. I also don't like co-workers pressuring a team member to drink if they don't want to. I have to wonder how many people feel pressured to drink in the Korean culture because "it's expected" of them.....

I agree completely.  And I never thought you were lecturing--merely that you were offering common sense. 

I was glad to see your post because too often we ignore the damaging effects that pressured or binge drinking can have.  It is particularly worrying when bad drinking habits are glamorized in dramas that may be marketed to those who are too young to know that such actions may have serious and life-altering consequences.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Boyfriend: Episode 11

Boyfriend11-00195.jpg

COMMENTS

I really hope that Dad isn’t there to try and talk Soo-hyun out of dating Jin-hyuk, because these poor kids already have enough to handle with Soo-hyun’s and Woo-seok’s parents on their asses. At least Dad’s there out of love and concern, but Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk are two grown, mature adults who are in love, who have already been through hardships and vowed not to let it tear them apart. What can Dad say that will make them change their minds? I just want Jin-hyuk to shout at everyone to leave them alone and let them succeed or crash on their own — he’s way too old for Mommy and Daddy to be sticking their noses into his personal life. Even if they’re trying to keep him from getting hurt, well… getting hurt is a part of life. You can’t shield your children forever, and you certainly can’t — and shouldn’t — still be trying to shield them after they’re well into adulthood.

Spoiler

I’ve said it before, but each episode does such a beautiful job showing how the difference in Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk’s age and social/financial status is a complete non-issue for them both. Most shows would lean hard on that issue to drive the conflict, but even their detractors are more concerned about other issues besides their age gap and income, which is nice (for certain values of “nice”). Neither Soo-hyun nor Jin-hyuk seem to give a toss about any of that, and I’m particularly impressed that Jin-hyuk isn’t threatened by Soo-hyun’s beauty or money or social status. He’s not a beta male at all, but he’s content to be her satellite, to just be near her and support her and love her. He’s not ashamed that he can’t afford to pay for fancy dates and he doesn’t feel emasculated when she pays. He’s actually perfect for a strong independent woman like Soo-hyun, because he’ll never resent her for making more money than him or her authority over him at work, or even the fact that most people will see her as “above” him in status.

Boyfriend11-00197.jpg

And similarly, Soo-hyun doesn’t look down on Jin-hyuk in the slightest for his humble background or lack of money. She doesn’t mind, and in fact initiates, doing simple things like eating at pojangmachas and hanging out with Jin-hyuk’s friends over moon snails. She even lists them among the things that make her so happy that she cries, which no doubt makes Jin-hyuk feel as though his world is valued and appreciated by her. And the one time he does show some insecurity over not being able to afford nicer couple rings, Soo-hyun quickly puts that to rest by declaring his ring her favorite of all her jewelry. But mostly I love that all these things just happen without needing discussion or confirmation that they’re both cool with the way things are, because they just understand each other that well.

As for Woo-seok, I still feel bad for him, but he’s drifting into unhealthy territory and it’s time for him to stop or things are going to get very bad. He knows about Jin-hyuk, he knows that Soo-hyun is willing to risk her reputation and her career over him. For pete’s sake, Woo-seok has even helped them a few times from behind the scenes. I don’t even fault him for trying to get Soo-hyun back, because he can see her relationship with Jin-hyuk progressing and knows that his window of opportunity is closing. I don’t begrudge him one last Hail Mary attempt. What I do mind is that Soo-hyun made it clear that they’re not going to get back together, but he’s not listening. It’s what I’ve been fearing — that Woo-seok is letting Soo-hyun’s rejection turn him bitter and vindictive, so that he’s done a complete 180 from telling his mother that Soo-hyun is perfectly capable of running Donghwa, to planning to take it away from her himself. I suppose there’s a slight chance that he wants to become CEO only to stop his mother from taking the hotel away from Soo-hyun as per the morality clause in their divorce, but the way Woo-seok is acting lately, I no longer trust his motives to be good ones.

Boyfriend11-00199.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/01/boyfriend-episode-11/

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

So I know Encounter is near to a 10/10 rating for a lot of us, but does anyone have any missing scenes they’d like to see in a fanfic?  If so, let me know!  I’m having a lot of fun filling up the time til the next episodes by writing short stories, but it would be even more fun to fulfill any requests you all might have!  :) 

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

So I know Encounter is near to a 10/10 rating for a lot of us, but does anyone have any missing scenes they’d like to see in a fanfic?  If so, let me know!  I’m having a lot of fun filling up the time til the next episodes by writing short stories, but it would be even more fun to fulfill any requests you all might have!  :) 

@yonaomi123 hmmmm balcony scene and its aftermath lol!

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

1 hour ago, yonaomi123 said:

I wouldn't mind a scene with Manager Nam and his heart's desire unless you just want to do the OTP.  :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yonaomi123 said:

Office romance would be good.. first choice is ofcoz day 1 ( after the first long kiss) and day 2 in Cuba:D

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1