[Drama 2018] Bad Papa, 배드파파 - 2018 Grimae Awards for Best Actor & Best Drama

Prettysup

Why SJ? Why? Why?

I mean why writer? Why?

After dropping hints of SJ's kindness and latent affection for her husband here and there, why did they abruptly made her flirtatious. While I was never fan of her habit of deprecating her husband at every possible ocassion, I appreciated her steadfastness.

Now they have money and she has leisure to write to her heart's content but she decided to give everything up in pursuit of MW (who was not even in contact with her for 11 or 17 years). You wanted to be a 

writer dear. JC won't mind. Infact he would support you.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Why SJ? Why? Why?

I mean why writer? Why?

After dropping hints of SJ's kindness and latent affection for her husband here and there, why did they abruptly made her flirtatious. While I was never fan of her habit of deprecating her husband at every possible ocassion, I appreciated her steadfastness.

Now they have money and she has leisure to write to her heart's content but she decided to give everything up in pursuit of MW (who was not even in contact with her for 11 or 17 years). You wanted to be a 

I frown at her behavior too.  My impression of her improved when she came out of her room and cover the sleeping JC with such gentleness, and that she likes the dress JC bought her until she wore it to meet MW and that flirtatious dance on the beach.  She better have a good explanation later in the series or else she may just be my most hated character in this drama.

11 hours ago, Prettysup said:

One question, so JC lost his money to Yoon Soo 11 years ago from a bad investment? Then he had been hiding from him from the past 11 years? 

And this post confused me. It says "11 years ago, when Ji-cheol manipulated the game, he chose to be a Bad Man in order to be a Good Father. This is why Lee Min-woo hated Ji-cheol."

But I thought JC did not manipulate the match 11 years ago? He lost because of his muscles condition right?

My understand is that his friend cheated JC of his life investment, and went into hiding.  That's how JC became broke and in need.  

JC was obviously in pain during that match 11 years ago.  He was offered bribery to manipulate the match but i think he rejected that offer, but that money somehow went into his account?  That's how the misunderstanding started.  And the man who offered the bribery to JC 11 years ago is the same man who offered money to JC now.  Wonder who is he and why he did that? 

Quite a few mysterious to uncover in this drama....

3 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Why SJ? Why? Why?

I mean why writer? Why?

I can understand why she still wants to write MW's autobiography even though they have money now. They had money before and lost everything. It didn't seem like she had much confidence in her writing and getting something published on her own would probably be a longshot. But here comes MW giving her an opportunity to be a published author which could lead to other opportunities.

I disliked the moment on the beach, but he's pouring on the charm, so I could maybe understand it if she got caught up. But I really hated SJ being dismissive about the dress (which she obviously liked) to JC and then wearing it on her trip with MW. No understanding from me there.

Warning - pretty Long post! 

Just done with latest episodes with subs. 

1. JC trusted his Friend with some investment that didn’t go well. He was offered money to manipulate that match but no, he didn’t want to accept even when he knows he needed money to recover the investment losses and his Wife’s dream of moving into a bigger house.  He lost becos of his body - so what’s wrong with his body that no one seems to know about. Is more than just muscle pain. It was obvious that he was in pain when he was throwing punches right? Not Becos he accepted the bribe right? He got agitated when a reporter said it was a fixed match. Someone pls correct me lol!

Btw was this the match they filmed for 12 hours?? Or was it his first returned match?? Both matches were Impressive!

But how did the money get to him?? And so he took the money?? 

2. The man who offered him the bribe 11 years ago was the same man that is offering him to return to the ring. What’s his intention? 

3. And so it was the usual noble idiotic reason for him to hand the divorce paper to his Wife. I can’t understand this. His Wife clearly loves him and don’t want the divorce and she wanted to stick to this family. So why has things changed now? Are there more to it that’s why she behaves like this 11 years later?  Could it be YJC’s attitude that drives her up the wall and she is feeling tired to maintain the family.  Could it be that she found out his investment losses and the possibly bribe? They were clearly happy with each other when they watched their daughter’s ballet performance on TV. 

From sleeping on the same bed to sleeping apart. Got to watch on to know what had caused the drift. 

4. Back to his first match after he returned. I hope YD can ask him about that ‘Water bottle’. I need someone to tell him he had to stop eating those pills! 

Either YD or he knew about the death of the guy who gave him the pills. 

I love the way he makes it looks as though his opponent is strong eg: tripping himself when his opponent cannot bring him down. That was so nicely done! The blows were so swift! And the reactions from the crowd lol! And I would love to see the commentator eat his own hands :tounge_xd:

Jang Hyuk looks amazing when he boxes :wub:

5. His Wife - I don’t know where to start. She looks worried when she knew he is getting back to boxing. She clearly was happy when he won the match. 

Ok, I can understand why she wants to write the book Becos she really wants to become a writer and this is her only chance. And I can even understand why she don’t want her Husband to know about the trip.  But it doesn’t means that she should behave the way she behaved on the beach and on the trip. Aiyo! I can’t watch that part, I SKIPPED! And she wore the dress her husband bought :bawling: and the last scene where Jc found his Wife, I had to hold my breath! My heart ache for JC :( 

6. Another plot in this drama is the drug. How will this group of ‘scientist’ discover that YJC is the one who can withstand the drugs. I need YJC to stop eating them now :( 

what did the bodyguard took from the corpse (before he left the scene of accident)?? 

7. JC and Daughter interaction - I love them best. Yes, even when they are quarrelling Becos it started becos of the Daughter’s love for her Father. 

And how apt and nice that it was daughter who realise who the hero of the bus accident was! 

8. That female Detective always make me smile :) would love to see her more. 

And MW - maybe is just me? He has this slimy, creepy look. 

And I leave u with this conversation btw JC and Detective :) too cute! Good night everyone. 

I still haven't watched Ep. 07-08 because I'm finishing the subs for 05-06, so my thoughts are on those two for now.

This drama keeps on getting interesting not only for the details that you can see in their facial expressions, but also because we are finding bits of the story episode after episode and it keeps us wondering. I would say this is a "slice of life" kind of drama, and it's not only about JC but also about the hardships of his family.

I understand SJ and YS's POVs. They care about JC so they don't want him to get hurt again, both physically and in his heart. SJ is aware that JC lost confidence in himself because of what happened and in this whole situation. So when she says that she'd rather write MW's autobiography and not his, yes, she can be mean, but it's also a way for her to show him her concern. She wasn't meaning those words. And JC hopefully knows it. At the end of the day I am sure that she still loves JC and she replies to him that way because she's tired of the situation. I'm not saying that she should just tell him angry things, but I think this is a result of her not saying much during the last 17 years. She probably always endured and problems don't get solved with pretending to be ok. It was time SJ and JC faced their problems. If they pretend they don't exist they won't solve anything and I guess that's when SJ will leave him for good. So it's ok that she reveals him what's in her heart and mind for him to understand. But at the same time, JC should also open up about his suffering because I think he's kept his hurt hidden from his wife for the last 11 years so she won't feel burdened. The same is happening to YS. She grew up with loving parents but she still feels like something is missing in her life, and perhaps she blames her dad. But whenever people badmouth him, she tries to defend him, and it just means that she cares for her dad a lot.

I understand why some people dislike Seon Joo, but imo she has her reasons to be like this. She is a bit naive thinking that MW just hired her because she's a childhood friend. She could help on that side, of course, but that's not necessary because someone related to MW could just ask her and other people about him. Putting aside MW's shady reasons, I think the reason why SJ is so keen on writing this book is because 1) she's finally getting to do what she likes 2) she's going to feel less uncomfortable because she'll get an important pay to sustain her family for a bit, and that's what matters to her. If MW is going to make a move on her (I still haven't watched eps 07-08 so I don't know if he did something already) I think that we will see SJ realize what is really going on with MW, because like I said before, SJ still loves JC very much.

8 hours ago, AgnesO said:

And the man who offered the bribery to JC 11 years ago is the same man who offered money to JC now.  Wonder who is he and why he did that? 

I wonder if that man chose to be a bad papa once upon a time too. It seems like he might have lost his daughter. Speculation: He was a gambler who needed money for his daughter and offered the bribe to JC because JC was the odds-on favorite to win the match against MW. He lost his daughter but is now rich and when he saw JC participating in an underground fight, he offered him the deal to try to make up for what he did in the past.

That's my nice speculation where he's not totally shady and the deal he offered JC doesn't have hidden strings. I'm almost always wrong though lol. 

1 hour ago, qynn said:

I wonder if that man chose to be a bad papa once upon a time too. It seems like he might have lost his daughter. Speculation: He was a gambler who needed money for his daughter and offered the bribe to JC because JC was the odds-on favorite to win the match against MW. He lost his daughter but is now rich and when he saw JC participating in an underground fight, he offered him the deal to try to make up for what he did in the past.

That's my nice speculation where he's not totally shady and the deal he offered JC doesn't have hidden strings. I'm almost always wrong though lol. 

And I think You could be right! 

@qynn

7 hours ago, kohnlee said:

But how did the money get to him?? And so he took the money?? 

There is no way he got the money though.

If  somehow he managed to get the money then he would have been living a comfortable life. But he is not.

The gambler deposited the money in an offshore bank account whose existence was known to both the authorities of their boxing association and the media. This means JC had to go through the legal trial, the fine and maybe imprisonment if he had accepted the charges. 

He would have been ineligible to join the police.

I think he never accepted the charges and seeing his financial woes it's obvious he never got the money.

19 hours ago, AgnesO said:

And the man who offered the bribery to JC 11 years ago is the same man who offered money to JC now.  Wonder who is he and why he did that? 

Quite a few mysterious to uncover in this drama....

Oh it is the same guy? I didn't catch that part, how did you know it ?

16 hours ago, kohnlee said:

And MW - maybe is just me? He has this slimy, creepy look. 

Well he did say at the press con that his job in this drama is to break up JC's family. So he is supposed to be creepy.

Sharing some thoughts after this week's eps, more from SJ's perspective. Warning that this is kind of long and messy, just off the top of my head.

The constant deprecating of JC - it's not nice-sounding lol but I think I can see why. You know how with your closest friends it's common to call them by an insult? Like 'Hey idiot' that sort of thing. And you only do it with your very closest friends obviously. Same here, I think she's too used to calling him like that she doesn't even realise (until YS told her). It's become like second nature and because they're close. But I do agree that it's also because she lost respect for him after what happened 11 years ago and I do hope she gains it back.

The small exchanges of familiarity between SJ and JC - I don't know if I'm the only one but I really liked that short breakfast scene :)

JC: Seriously. I'm having curry every day. I'm sick of it. (<- sounding like some destitute old man)

SJ: I cooked you rice over there. (<- aww)

SJ: Don't get hurt. If you get hurt, I'll divorce you immediately. (<- wants to show concern but doesn't want to be too obvious)

JC: Okay, I won't get hurt. (<- receives the concern)

I mean, it's short and curt, but it sounds like two kids talking to each other haha. I digress, but if anyone watched the Radio Star ep for BP, the hosts and casts talked about how couples who have been married for a long time talk to each other ^. They mentioned how replies get shorter and more monotone, and I feel this part perfectly demonstrates it, though there is still concern lying underneath.

About the lying on going to Gangneung, it's probably cause she doesn't want him to act up again (JC always acts up at any mention of MW). After the 1st 2 eps of big fights erupting whenever MW is mentioned, I think she's learnt her lesson to stop mentioning him instead lol (though I don't think that it's right to lie). He lied to her about the drugs, job etc. too, because he doesn't want her to worry. Nevertheless, as with all dramas, all this lying is going to break down sooner or later. More open communication is usually the way to be more sustainable.

SJ and JC - I trust that she still cares for JC, but doesn't show it well. We've had to really scrutinise to find those little bits of affection like that breakfast scene, while the majority of her scenes with JC has been scolding/arguing lol. It feels like she still has affection for him, but her anger/exhaustion at providing most of the tangibles for the family always outweighs it. She is concerned about JC - just that her concern almost always comes in the form of scolding/admonishing...instead of the usual comforting words/encouragement. Ref: the scene where they were arguing below their house when he came back with the snazzy car and shades. She's scolding him but just because she doesn't want him to get hurt and for history to repeat itself.

Personality-wise, I feel like SJ is more realistic while JC is more idealistic. Nothing wrong with both just that it's easy to lead to clashes. SJ focuses on the tangible things (money, rent, chores etc.), whereas JC is more sensitive to emotions (the talks with YS) and happy-go-lucky. So SJ ends up being seemingly more cold while JC has connected better with YS and also receives a large amount of money -> immediately throws it on luxury goods.

SJ and MW - I think she still sees him as a childhood friend and nothing else. That scene where he first told her "Writer Choi", she also said "So this is what friends are for." that obvious friendzone line LOL. But that beach scene in Ep 08 does make things shaky, especially with MW having clear intents and making calculated moves and SJ being very vulnerable to the promise of writing. I hope the drama scriptwriter doesn't go down that way. Personal opinion that the whole arc with MW feels clunky and feels just there to add more conflict between JC and SJ - when there really isn't a need to, they already have more than enough conflicts on their own which can be developed. Not in favour of how she and MW are progressing. Pure lazy writing from the writer to go down the infidelity route. It's very possible to portray troubled married life WITHOUT infidelity/cheating....oh well can't say I'm not disappointed.

SJ and writing - She really likes writing, but no one takes her seriously. Only MW, which makes her so susceptible to him. She's been doing things for the family for the past 17 years and hasn't had much chance to do what she really likes - writing (just those bits of online smut here and there lol). While JC doesn't understand her interest in writing. His idea of buying those branded clothes may make her happy for a while, but I feel what would truly mean a lot to her is if he could accept her writing as she wants (not even asking for active support, just not being totally against it).

The scene where SJ said she'd rather write MW's autobiography than JC's, I thought it felt more like a retaliatory remark to what he said before that.

JC: You should be the one who quits writing such things!

SJ: What? (you could see she truly felt hurt here)

JC (you can already see the 'oh shoot' look in his face lol): I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I don't mean that your writing is bad. I'm asking why you'd be bothered to write for that scumbag.

SJ: It's better than writing about someone like you.

JC's damage control was way too clumsy and bad lol. I get that his intention was to say why did she work with MW of all people, but it came out the wrong way. And then SJ took it the wrong way. And so it became a hot mess lol. Both of them were frustrating here. She should have tried to understand and empathise with his effort more, how choosing to go back to boxing was also a tough decision and how he was really trying his best to help the family as well. While he should have tried to understand that it's more of her desire and thirst to write after so long, rather than thinking MW as the only reason why she would do the autobiography.

SJ and the family - I trust that she still cares for JC and YS but she doesn't/can't seem to(?) express it well. Which is interesting because at least even in the 6 years ago flashback they were all still pretty close to each other. Now it's like 3 ships passing each other in the night lol. The flashbacks provided some answers but also gave rise to more questions. I'm wondering if there's still another trigger that made the family how it is today.

My biggest peeve with SJ is that she's written to be kind of opaque. She tends to keep things to herself and doesn't show her feelings easily (or maybe there just hasn't been enough scenes to develop her character well enough yet). It's hard to see her true motivations for now. My only hope now is for the writer not to go into a full-blown infidelity/cheating plot....that would be the worst.

Bad Papa Episode 5-6 Recap

Bad Papa Episode 5-6 “A Number for the Head of a Family”

11 years ago…

In a boxing stadium in Japan Yoo Ji Cheol (Jang Hyuk) has beaten the Japanese fighter. Ji Cheol walks through the crowd with his wife and young daughter. We see a young Yong Dae mesmerized while others around him rejoice.

Continue reading here :

https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2018/10/10/bad-papa-episode-5-6-recap/

bad-papa-hdtv-eng-e05-e06_8.jpg?w=605&h=

3 hours ago, skypearl said:

Sharing some thoughts after this week's eps, more from SJ's perspective. Warning that this is kind of long and messy, just off the top of my head.

Glad that someone notices SJ's good points. Actually I didn't find her that bad either, she is trying her best to cope under poor circumstances.

And looks like they did late night filming yesterday. JH posted this at 0300 am.

@skypearl yes, I’m with u on SJ. She clearly cares about her husband with all those exchanges. And like I mentioned earlier, I can understand why she insists on writing and why there is a need to lie that she is going on work trip.

Like u, what I cannot reconcile is her behaviour on the beach. 

JC needs to earn back the family’s trust and SJ needs to communicate better with him. 

@skypearl You really got the point about SJ and I agree with everything you said.

I don't agree with her behavior with MW because I think she's misunderstanding his "kindness" (because it is anything but kindness). MW never did anything wrong to SJ (that we're aware of) and they have an intimate relationship. What I mean is that they're old friends and so they treat each other freely. This is why it may seem that SJ is flirting with him. She's comfortable with him so she uses that gushing voice. I think the reason why she seem to waver is that MW is acting (we know his act is not pure) in a way she longs for. That is, how probably JC used to act when they got together and how JC often acts but it became less with time, since SJ seems to push him away (if it's an indication they aren't sleeping in the same bed anymore).

SJ is realistic but she's also very dreamy, given she's a writer and the most important trait of a writer is imagination. When we see her imagining herself watching a man with a nice backside preparing breakfast for her, imo that's not only a pivotal scene for her book, but also what she'd want to live in real life - this is why we see her in that vivid imagination. But the man is not JC. That's partially her choice, because it seems that she is the one who decided not to sleep anymore with JC. There are many couples who don't get along, and even if they don't have sex, they still sleep on the same bed. The fact that she prefers to spend her nights on writing fiction is important. It surely happened something that triggered her behavior. Maybe the loss of her second child and JC's divorce papers? I think that flashback of the hospital is connected to the beginning of Ep. 07.

That's when MW gets in. He came back at the lowest point of her relationship with JC, and since she sees MW with colored glasses, she's bound to see him as a prototype of a male character of her book. The one she probably also fantasizes about and that "gives" or "could give" her what she wants that JC doesn't give her OR... what she doesn't see JC giving her. Because JC gives her "things" and not what she wants. She probably wants affection showed through hugs, preparing her a meal, cleaning the house... all the things JC doesn't do and it makes her seem he doesn't care. When you're going through a difficult time, even the smallest things can help keeping the family together. JC thinks he's being a husband by buying his wife a pretty dress, which is a nice gesture, but not the type SJ wants. I think if JC tried hard to be a better husband, his wife wouldn't see MW the way she's seeing him. Hopefully she'll get back to reality when she understands his reasons, because right now she's really acting like this because she's idolizing MW's behavior.

9 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Oh it is the same guy? I didn't catch that part, how did you know it ?

The scene when JC first received the call from the offeror, they showed a half side view of him.  Later in the first match between JC and MW, they showed his face again among the audience, this time half front view, but enough to see is the same guy who offered the money to JC now.  That's how I get my idea it's the same guy.  Unless the writer wants to mislead us....

Archived