[Drama 2018] Bad Papa, 배드파파 - 2018 Grimae Awards for Best Actor & Best Drama

Prettysup

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is finally the day :D will wait for the episodes later because I'm also subbing this project for Italian fans.

The OSTs sound cool. It is rare to find music from dramas that stucks in your mind, but these songs are particular and not the usual stuff. They convey the loneliness, desperation and sense of helplessness of Ji Cheol and his family.

Earlier while I was walking the dogs I was thinking about something I don't know if you've discussed before. That is, it was revealed beforehand why JC decided to follow the detective path, or not? I mean, of all the possible careers he could have followed after the ban, he was involved with the police for years. I don't know how it works in Korea, but in my country (Italy) you can't get into police after a certain age and you still have to pass a lot of tests to be admitted into the Police Academy. JC was 32 years old when he was disqualified, since on the ID paper in the testing lab it was written he was now 43, so too old to get into police, theorically. It could have been someone inside with connections who helped him get this job? What if it was Professor Cha? I still think there may be connections between him and JC from the way he looked at his pic in the lab and he knew he wasn't "Kim Yong Soo".

26 minutes ago, purplebass said:

That is, it was revealed beforehand why JC decided to follow the detective path, or not?  

I was thinking same since reading the synopsis. In our country upper age limit is 32 for joining the police academy but there are also exempted categories like disabled people, ex army personnel etc.

JC was banned from boxing due to the charges of match fixing so it would also restrict his opportunities  of getting employed.

He was also completey unenthusiastic about the work so I want to know why did he specifically choose this profession.

30 minutes ago, purplebass said:

Earlier while I was walking the dogs I was thinking about something I don't know if you've discussed before. That is, it was revealed beforehand why JC decided to follow the detective path, or not? I mean, of all the possible careers he could have followed after the ban, he was involved with the police for years. I don't know how it works in Korea, but in my country (Italy) you can't get into police after a certain age and you still have to pass a lot of tests to be admitted into the Police Academy. JC was 32 years old when he was disqualified, since on the ID paper in the testing lab it was written he was now 43, so too old to get into police, theorically. It could have been someone inside with connections who helped him get this job? What if it was Professor Cha? I still think there may be connections between him and JC from the way he looked at his pic in the lab and he knew he wasn't "Kim Yong Soo".

Good point there, maybe he was already a detective before he went into boxing? Then he quitted the police force after turning pro, and now he is  back again ?

Professor Cha is Detective Cha's father, perhaps he does know JC.

Oh my the match was so painful to watch .. everyone was jeering at him becos of his defeat 11 years ago. All he wanted to do was to provide for his family. And he thinks that this is the only thing he can still do. 

I can now understand what it meant by to be a bad person to be a good papa. The bad person here could be the pills he took. In a way is ‘playing cheat’. But he kept thinking those are nutritional supplements right ? 

And the tested patient looks horrific!! Did he die??? From the preview, I think he did. 

And from this episode, I think I can conclude that MW doesn’t respect JC at all. It was probably jealousy. Thoroughout the match, he was smirking. 

I must say this cool papa image reminds me of IRIS 2! 

@Prettysup  It's really possible he was a detective before and then he was scouted. There are many fighters here who are also Police or Carabinieri (same as police, but have different duties) and they often compete in their specialty when there are international competitions like the Olympics.

Like @fiesty8001 said, there are other "special" categories and JC didn't seem to enjoy his job much. He worked because he had to work, but his conduct wasn't proper if his salary had been cut, etcetera. Maybe, since he used to be an athlete, he could join the forces.

So it could be both, but in my opinion JC's scouting happened in a similar way of his 2018 scouting, and he was just a young guy who liked to fight on the ring. Because when he goes to see his old coach, it seemed like he also trained in that gym. Perhaps somebody saw him train there and offered him a contract to be a fighter because they saw the potential, and in the end he was successful. It's always like this that agents find their best athletes, by visiting the places where they are in their element. Then, after his fall, somebody who still cared for him and believed in him (if he had been set up and someone knew and wanted to help him) gave him this oportunity because they knew that he was in trouble. I guess the money he had earned could be enough for a while, seeing that there was a period where he and his family acted like a happy family, but then they finished and he needed to find another job.

4 hours ago, purplebass said:

@Prettysup  It's really possible he was a detective before and then he was scouted. There are many fighters here who are also Police or Carabinieri (same as police, but have different duties) and they often compete in their specialty when there are international competitions like the Olympics.

Like @fiesty8001 said, there are other "special" categories and JC didn't seem to enjoy his job much. He worked because he had to work, but his conduct wasn't proper if his salary had been cut, etcetera. Maybe, since he used to be an athlete, he could join the forces.

So it could be both, but in my opinion JC's scouting happened in a similar way of his 2018 scouting, and he was just a young guy who liked to fight on the ring. Because when he goes to see his old coach, it seemed like he also trained in that gym. Perhaps somebody saw him train there and offered him a contract to be a fighter because they saw the potential, and in the end he was successful. It's always like this that agents find their best athletes, by visiting the places where they are in their element. Then, after his fall, somebody who still cared for him and believed in him (if he had been set up and someone knew and wanted to help him) gave him this oportunity because they knew that he was in trouble. I guess the money he had earned could be enough for a while, seeing that there was a period where he and his family acted like a happy family, but then they finished and he needed to find another job.

That’s why he thinks that for them to go back to before he needs to be back in the ring again. He wants to be like any other Father or husband who can support the family.

I believe the plot will unfold and eventually JC realise that he doesn’t have to be a boxer to be a good Husband or Father. He needs to get a proper job and with the right attitude he can still provide decently. Maybe not as lavish as a boxer.

Is not an easy decision. The whole nation despised him. Look at this, people change tv channel when they see him on news but applaud the hero who saved the Mother and Daughter in the bus - not knowing they are the same person.

Watched ep 5-6 with subs. I like it that both wife and daughter are actually against him returning to the ring for fear of his health, they don't care about the money.

vBobYpVtgN0C636746667766584834.jpg

Meanwhile, new stills of MW and SJ. Is that the new dress JC bought for SJ ?

2018100901000693300054381.jpg

97807649.jpg

I don't like MW.. but that's just. I ain't fan. And as far as having ethics?

On 10/6/2018 at 4:20 AM, purplebass said:

maybe he's a man with an ethic...

What ethic? Yes he wanted to win a legit match against JC. Once they fight again.. he'll probably win. JC's body is not at prime and his condition too. But who knows. Underdogs rising and winning against all odds, that's kdrama life.

He's coming onto SJ.  granted he knew SJ before before SJ met and married JC but.. he's shady.  He knows  exactly how JC feels about the situation. JC even said to him he "should be embarrassed".  And as far as choosing  SJ to write his autobiography.. because it's not actually just helping her.....

Thanks for your posts and thought and others here as well. I enjoy reading someone else's pov. Lets enjoy the next episodes.

Thanks @azureblue7 like what I’ve posted in the JH thread, I feel that I must say it again here. I love the fact that he gave the young actress the chance to speak and this is his way of taking care of younger actors. I love this man more! Such a great senior to have!

@jongski like u, I don’t like MW too. The vibes just not there. 

And how come the showdown btw YJC and MW is happening so fast ??

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Here's the Eng Subs to Section TV interview with Bad Papa Cast! Papa is too cute!

Thanks for posting these clips @azureblue7. Did you only post JH's portion? Because looks like other actors didn't say anything. Genearlly it's other way, JH is quieter one(well....only except the topic suits his intrest or he is with friends lols).

2 hours ago, jongski said:

I don't like MW.. but that's just. I ain't fan. And as far as having ethics?

What ethic? Yes he wanted to win a legit match against JC. Once they fight again.. he'll probably win. JC's body is not at prime and his condition too. But who knows. Underdogs rising and winning against all odds, that's kdrama life.

He's coming on to SJ.  granted he knew SJ before before SJ met and married JC but.. he's shady.  He knows  exactly how JC feels about the situation he even said to him he "should be embarassed".  And as far as choosing  SJ to write his autobiography.. because it's not actually just helping her...

Thanks for your posts and thought and others here as well. I enjoy reading someone else's pov. Lets enjoy the next episodes.

Well I don't like MW too, he is just making use of SJ to get back at JC. He said that himself to his girlfriend, his target is JC.

26 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Thanks for posting these clips @azureblue7. Did you only post JH's portion? Because looks like other actors didn't say anything. Genearlly it's other way, JH is quieter one(well....only except the topic suits his intrest or he is with friends lols).

Haha no, that was really the entire Bad Papa portion. I think it was the Section TV people who edited out only JH's portion. This interview was conducted on V-live earlier.

Archived