[Drama 2018] Bad Papa, 배드파파 - 2018 Grimae Awards for Best Actor & Best Drama

Prettysup

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

I think she did approach MW for help on her own the first time round.  

He is really trying his best...luck is just really not on their side. 

MW was already in the hospital to check on his fighter friend(Correct me if I'm wrong). YS was already hospitalized. He just grabbed the opportunity to help SJ, that she being a mother couldn't deny.

Apart from that in the scene where JC confronted the teacher, he took the opportunity to calm both him and the teacher down. He made JC look bad in SJ's eyes.

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Now I understand why people are worried JC may die in the end. Hmmm... 

Hyukie has stopped dying in the dramas these days.

44 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

And that could be why she can’t write erotic stuff or find any inspiration to do so. 

Lol. I was also thinking that they should give consideration to their natural instinct so that she can finish her masterpiece and solve their financial issues.:D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/4/2018 at 4:16 PM, skypearl said:

SJ in hospital clothes and JC handing her divorce papers. If say he really abandoned her when she was sick....that would be really terrible :X Her anger and coldness would be more than understandable if that was so.

I'm not in favour of too many recollection scenes (when it stalls the progression of the plot) but I think the time is ripe now for more recollections of what happened between JC SJ and MW back then.

When they showed this scene, I believed that maybe this happened after JC's "fall". Maybe at that time he believed it would be better to get divorced because of the accident that made him lose his fame. He may have believed that since his career was ruined, this would also damage his family, so he may have decided to ask for divorce without thinking just for SJ and YS's wellbeing. I guess that what made them stick together even after that was SJ's perseverance and that JC realized he was too impulsive. From the flashbacks we can see she really loved her husband, and when you love somebody you are willing to be with them despite the difficulties you may encounter. JC also loves his wife and daughter, but he shows his love in other ways.

On 10/4/2018 at 5:27 PM, fiesty8001 said:

I also think he did not try to abandon his sick wife.

From the eariler preview it looked like their family had an accident. SJ was hospitalized because she was badly injured. I think the flashback belongs to the same time period.

Moreover according to the synopsis their daughter was also hurt/sick so she had to give up her dream of being a ballerina. They didn't have money for treating her.

In the scene where she(daughter) tries to hold the mean girl(after accidently pushing her), her back hurts.

Yeah, it would also match how the first episode starts and JC saying that the daughter he was saving in that bus was not his daughter. At first I didn't understand why he was saying that, thinking that he may have used a methapor because he wants to protect his daughter and he's very upset when he checks on YS at the hospital, but after you mentioned this it seems clear that there is a connection between the two things. During Ep. 3, JC also says that "one day you're considered a hero, the next you're garbage". Maybe that's what happened 11 years ago. Maybe the bus where JC and his crew and his family were on had an accident. In addition to that, he could have taken a bribe to make MW win on purpose, and this is why he hates gambling parlors and people who go to those places. Maybe in the end the medicine will help boost his career again and also his confidence in himself, and in the end also put his family back together like he dreamed, because he just wanted to be an "ordinary dad".

About the medicine, I also think that it may lead to a depressing conclusion, since the doctors were discussing how he wasn't fit for the trial, but I hope not. In fact, when he takes the pills he has a sudden shock as if he's allucinating and under the effect of strong drugs, so they are definitely not doing great things to his body besides giving him strenght. Fantasy aside, it could be a reaction of the body cells to the blue pill: they are trying to kick it out of the system and while doing so, they cause a reaction that make JC "hyperactive" (if we want to stay realistic)... like, I don't know, when a person is pushed to do things they wouldn't do because of an adrenaline rush.

As for SJ, I don't think she's selfish either. For the 17 years she and JC have been together, we've seen from the flashbacks that she's always been supportive of her family no matter what. But now, when her family is drowning in debt and things are getting tougher, she decided to think about what's better for YS and her husband, because only a fool wouldn't take the chance offered by MW. She is not doing it to reconnect with MW, she is doing it to help her family survive and be happy as well, since her dream is to become a writer and she can't dedicate her life to writing if she has bills to pay and so on. This chance gives her the occasion to finally do what she likes and be paid for it. SJ looks like a genuine woman, and she knows that her husband dislikes MW but maybe not the official reason. I don't know if she realizes that MW used to like her, but she's acting towards him like an old friend. After all, even if there is no good blood between JC and MW, he didn't do anything bad to her for SJ to stop interacting with him. Or at least that we know of. In the end I think that even if MW could try to make a move on her (maybe just to get JC mad), she will stay loyal to JC.

I'm still not sure about MW's true personality. During Ep. 01-02 we saw him as the handsome fighter who is loved by his fans because of his attitude et all, but during Ep. 03-04 we saw other sides to MW, maybe his true character. But this is yet to be final, because like @azureblue7 said, perhaps MW misunderstood JC and was disappointed in what he did that lead to his ban. Perhaps his goal is to really win against JC in a real match and not in a staged one. Maybe MW is convinced he rose to fame just because JC was pushed out of the league. Perhaps MW feels like his pride was hurt because he didn't win because of his merits... maybe he's a man with an ethic... we'll see.

“Bad Papa” Cast Has Fun Behind The Scenes

Oct 5, 2018
by R. Jun

New behind-the-scenes photos have been released for MBC’s new Monday-Tuesdasy drama “Bad Papa,” and the cast is all smiles.

The drama — starring Jang HyukSon Yeo EunShin Eun SooHa Jun, and Kim Jae Kyung — is about the hard life of a man who decides to be bad in order to be a good father.

Completely immersed in the script or scene one second and laughing and joking the next, the “Bad Papa” cast has created a fun atmosphere on set. Jang Hyuk has been dubbed the “ad lib god” for his hilarious improvisations during scenes, and Son Yeo Eun puts the cast and crew at ease with a warm, easy smile.

bad-papa-behind-the-scenes-0.jpg

The production staff of the drama said, “It’s not easy for there to be a cast of actors that are this nice. They’re all so considerate and supportive of each other. ‘Bad Papa,’ with its movie-like scenery and unique energy, will start to pick up the pace. Please stay tuned.”

bad-papa-3.jpg

“Bad Papa” airs on Mondays and Tuesdays on MBC.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1241103wpp/bad-papa-cast-fun-behind-scenes

5 hours ago, purplebass said:

He may have believed that since his career was ruined, this would also damage his family,  

In addition to that, he could have taken a bribe to make MW win on purpose 

medicine will help boost his career again and also his confidence in himself, and in the end also put his family back together like he dreamed,

About the medicine, I also think that it may lead to a depressing conclusion,  they are trying to kick it out of the system and while doing so, they cause a reaction that make JC "hyperactive" (if we want to stay realistic).

because only a fool wouldn't take the chance offered by MW.  bills to pay and so on.

I'm still not sure about MW's true personality.

Obligatory nobel idiocy?

Why would he need to take the bribe though? He was rich.

Medicine can only boost his performance and make his family momentarily happy but he has to face the consequences. I think the drama aims to depict his downfall.

I consider the medicine's effects magical.:innocent:

From SJ's point of view this is an amazing offer. It would be highly imprudent to decline it just because her husband has a little unreasonable dislike for MW. We can clearly see her unselfishness when she sees the offer as the key to educate her daughter better.

I think MW won't be full fledged villian. We have Park Jibin for that. But what he is doing to YJC and SJ is not admirable.

50 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Omg!! Look that what happened to the guy who gave JC the pills!! 

Maybe he turned out so badly because he did not take the blue pills to counteract the effects of the test they did on him or whatsoever ?

16 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Maybe he turned out so badly because he did not take the blue pills to counteract the effects of the test they did on him or whatsoever ?

Maybe little monster CEO turned him into this because he took the money but not the pills.

6 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

And there is difficulty tracking him since he used a fake name and is starting to wear a black mask. Hehe.. 

But they know his face !

I think they reshot some parts of the first (maybe also second eps). Intially  YJC was supposed to be suspended for sexual harassment  but later they changed it to bribe. You can see it was bit different in the preview.

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

But they know his face !

I think they reshot some parts of the first (maybe also second eps). Intially  YJC was supposed to be suspended for sexual harassment  but later they changed it to bribe. You can see it was bit different in the preview.

Spot on! I was looking for sexual harassment but didn’t happen haha! 

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

And there is difficulty tracking him since he used a fake name and is starting to wear a black mask. Hehe.. 

They have photograph of all the men who came forward to test. 

7 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Obligatory nobel idiocy?

Why would he need to take the bribe though? He was rich.

Medicine can only boost his performance and make his family momentarily happy but he has to face the consequences. I think the drama aims to depict his downfall.

I think MW won't be full fledged villian. We have Park Jibin for that. But what he is doing to YJC and SJ is not admirable.

Yeah, but it would fit his role imo, because he's smart but he also doesn't values himself the way others saw/see him in the present. YD considered him as a great fighter if he hasn't forgotten about him after all those years he left the scene. There's probably other people who feel the same, but JC doesn't seem to believe them.

I think that the reason he was banned could be that at the time somebody wanted to bribe him and this act was enough to kick him out. And this is why today he hates who gives bribes or bets in gambling parlors. If you think about it, the scene in Ep. 01 when he receives the bribe from the monk could be happened in the past when he was a fighter. Maybe JC was offered a bribe, he refused, and the person who wanted to give it to him (perhaps someone related to MW) manipulated everything and planted the money somewhere in JC's belongings and he didn't know anything about it. So the reason he was banned is because somebody set him up. But it could have happen in the other way: JC was offered a bribe, he accepted, lost the match (perhaps the deal was to lose) and it was discovered. It's true that he was rich, but he could have been greedy, seeing that he was a hot shot fighter. And perhaps he was thinking that more money could benefit his family. It could happen that his ex detective partner and the police station where he used to work may be of help unveiling the real reason to clear his name and indict those who tricked him. I think what we see in the present is highly connected to what happened in the past, a sort of dejavu. Maybe reversed.

MW doesn't seem to be too villainous to me either. At this moment he seems like he's one of those rich guys with too much time on his hands to care for the adventures of his first love and her husband.

1 hour ago, kohnlee said:

Spot on! I was looking for sexual harassment but didn’t happen haha! 

They have photograph of all the men who came forward to test. 

Oh I thought I missed it. According to the earlier synopsis, he was supposed to be suspended for both sexual harassment and bribery.

2 hours ago, purplebass said:

(perhaps someone related to MW) manipulated everything

JC was offered a bribe, he accepted, he could have been greedy,

that his ex detective partner  where he used to work may be of help unveiling the real reason to clear his name and indict those who tricked him.

MW doesn't seem to be too villainous to me either. 

I don't feel it was MW's wrongdoing though. I think he was genuine when he berated JC for loosing on purpose. Didn't old coach said MW used to have very high opinion of JC in the past.

(But in the end it's a K-drama so we can't revoke the possibility of MW being the main culprit.:))

I don't think JC was greedy in the past. Didn't he forgive his fraud friend earlier?  Instead I see him as a person who values people more than the money. He is still not an unscrupulous man. Even in the illegal match he swallowed his pill at the last moment when he couldn't find any other way of winning.

It was mentioned in the synopsis that Cha Ji Woo involves herself in an old mysterious case (her ex-cop father was also investigating this case). It must be related to JC's defeat.

I think MW is livid at the moment because not only JC his idol, disgraced himself but he is also unable to keep his woman (SJ MW's first love) happy. 

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

he was supposed to be suspended for both sexual harassment and bribery.

I think he was only supposed to find the gambling money.

OK, here is the character description for Professor Cha. Looks like JC's body is able to withstand the drug's side effects, so I guess he's not going to die ?

1_chabaksa.jpg

Cha Seung Ho
(Ji-woo's father, Professor of Shingu Pharmaceutical, 60 years old) "Your body is special. Please help me. It is for the world. "

The man who became the first recipient of NOBEL prize in Korea. A man who devotes his entire life to the study of drugs for neuromuscular disorders. The media called him a national hero, but he knows. There is a huge side effect to the new drug he is studying. In order to complete the drug, one must find a subject who has the potential to overcome this side effect. By the way, I found it. It is Yoo Ji-cheol, former professional boxer. He must find him and complete the new drug.

10 hours ago, Prettysup said:

OK, here is the character description for Professor Cha. Looks like JC's body is able to withstand the drug's side effects, so I guess he's not going to die ?

Cha Seung Ho
(Ji-woo's father, Professor of Shingu Pharmaceutical, 60 years old) "Your body is special. Please help me. It is for the world. "

The man who became the first recipient of NOBEL prize in Korea. A man who devotes his entire life to the study of drugs for neuromuscular disorders. The media called him a national hero, but he knows. There is a huge side effect to the new drug he is studying. In order to complete the drug, one must find a subject who has the potential to overcome this side effect. By the way, I found it. It is Yoo Ji-cheol, former professional boxer. He must find him and complete the new drug.

The content was from the synopsis?

@fiesty8001 @purplebass

Read both your analysis of MW and JC relationship. Yes JC’s coach did say that MW used to respect JC a lot and we all know that the match that JC lost to was MW. 

If MW’s most respected person was JC until he thought he won the match Becos it was fixed, then how to explain why is he sulking most of the time (in fact all the time) when he was watching JC match against the Japanese guy in the flashback?

Thats definitely not the look u gave when u respect someone?? And this match was before the defeat of JC to him. I don’t think he really respected him.

@fiesty8001 About MW, I also agree he may not be directly involved in JC's downfall, or else he wouldn't threaten him by saying he'll reveal everything. In that conversation in MW's study, it looked like JC was more worried about the truth rather than MW, which means that what really happened 11 years before could destroy MW's career and let others see JC in another light and JC doesn't want that because it's in the past and he feels guilty about it and doesn't want to relieve those moments. What's done is done. It could also be related to doping, maybe he used drugs to pump his performance and this is way he was disqualified, or someone drugged him to set him up. What if Professor Cha and the evil guys' father used to test their drugs on athletes and they might be somehow involved behind the scenes? Like, they could have drugged the foods they ate and see what happened and not letting them know in exchange for sponsor money (so only the coach or other related to the team knew). What if MW's success also depends on something like that and he's related to some big name and this is why he's not indicted? 

@kohnlee Yeah, after rewatching Ep. 03-04 and especially MW/JC's convo and then the moment of MW with his "girlfriend", maybe his aim is to win against him for real and prove himself. Maybe winning a fixed match hurt MW's pride as a person and as a fighter, as if he used the easy way out.

This got me thinking again about whether or not JC is greedy. Like @fiesty8001 said, he values people over money, but money still interest him to a certain degree (after all, without money we cannot go on). In the past, maybe he wanted to use them to settle down and have an easy life with his family, while in the present he wants them to fix his problems to have a normal life with his family. He wanted money to pay the lease, to buy YS's bag, to pay the hospital fee and the compensation, but he didn't have money, and this aggravated the situation because he felt useless while his wife tried to ask for help. He said it himself that his dream is to be an ordinary dad. What if the bribe MW said he possibly accepted wasn't real and it was his way to stop fighting because he just wanted to be a normal father and husband? Maybe despite he was good at his job, he was sick of it because of what happened behind the scenes. Maybe he did it for his family, but in the end it blew up in his face.

And we have pictures from the coffee truck :) this is a YJC outfit with a Jang Hyuk smile :relieved:

And look at his back muscles! I think for a 42 year old, he is doing really well to maintain his body.

And this IG picked up some comments from naver in ep 3 and 4, if u can read Chinese!  Is some good reviews on JH’s acting skills and the lack of promotion for the drama.

Archived