[Drama 2018] Lawless Lawyer, 무법 변호사

Admin

Episode 10 great episode. It is very interesting how AOJ slowly made his deductions that he had been axed from his dog position and how he pro-actively sought to protect himself by allying with the enemy who hates him. AOJ is a dog who was raised by the old judge and AOJ has finally discerned the difference between the old judge, (father) and the new judge, CMS the daughter and the difference between CDW and his second. He was in the car remembering what BSP said when he visited him in prison that CMS told JY, his lawyer, to get BSP out of prison. AOJ thought that CMS was happy he killed DW and framed his nephew as the killer. He remembered CMS throwing a glass of wine at him and telling him that he is to bark when she tells him to. He realizes that CMS has gotten herself a new dog and he was now dispensable. It dawned on him then that someone was ordered to stab SP while he was in prison. His driver commented that DW’s 2nd and gang thinks that BSP killed DW. That is when AOJ realized who the new dog could be and said, “the thugs today are not the same as the old thugs of before”. He might have been talking about the old judge, (CMS father), CDW and himself. The old judge grew up during the years of struggle of his country through world war 2, the division of Korea between North and South and through the dictatorships as the country established the Republic. He may have worked hard to become a judge, and then went through hardships to establish his own turf and become its leader. He did not just inherit his turf he made it. He recognized the worth of his people, he went to eat at that humble place served by the owner who pasted his picture on the wall and with his people, like AOJ. He knew how to engender loyalty from his people by little gestures as eating with them. CDW may also have been the same when he built his own organization. CMS on the other hand grew up in luxury and inherited what his father built and has the mindset of entitlement, “I am the mother/queen of Gisung, your leader to obey.” Her way was intimidation and she did not have the skills of her father to stir loyalty from the followers. The second of DW also thinks the same that he is entitled to inherit the organization and all its assets that DW worked hard to establish. He may not necessarily believe that SP killed his uncle, but it was an excuse conveniently handed to him by no other than the enemy, AOJ. DW’s second is a Judas betraying his master for the ownership of his turf. What he may not have known is, DW never intended for his nephew to become like himself. I even wonder if in honor of his nephew and sister, he may have donated a bulk of his wealth to charities. Now, because of the second’s actions, BSP is forced to become involved with his uncle’s organization. In the preview, he said he was sorry that he will not keep his promise to his uncle.

I am always blown away by the expression of relief and wonder on the actor Lee Joon Gi’s face as he plays the character of BSP hearing confessions of trust and faith from JY as she was investigating and finding out for herself the truth of his involvement in the case and what she means to him.  The first time was when JY fetched him from prison in the first episodes and they drove to his office. They were alone he at his desk and she at hers. He stated a glib remark that she was doing her job well when she turned around and said that SP did not believe that Detective Woo killed the mayor, then said, you already know that he did not do it. His expression was so precious, that of gratefulness. The 2nd time was when she had a talk with Detective Woo about her mother and she went to his loft, to give him a back hug, she knew and believed. He stood there for a few minutes absorbing the hug, but his cheek had this cute little tick as if controlling his own emotions. Episode 10 in the hospital after the surgery when he seemed to be asleep and she again confessed how she now knows what she means to him, how he had thought of her so preciously and how she never knew but now she does, that he had always been protecting her. She then confessed that she will do the same that she will care for him as preciously as he does her and more. He woke up then and his face again showed how touched he was even with very little change and he asked, do you mean that? These confessions of caring from both are stirringly touching it melts like butter. And yes, the hug at the office when he ran to see if she was all right even after he was in a bloody fight. The hug and she rubbing the back of his neck. Thank you for all these scenes. They are the soothers that get me through the intensity of the episode.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished watching ep.10 with subs.  OMO!!!!!!OMO!!!!!!OMO!!!!! that ending, though WOW!!!!!!

I have not seen the actor who plays AOJ,  he is doing a great job.  I am  not praising him coz he sided with BSP, but really his acting is excellent.  The expressions he gives, when he thinks why he has been kicked off by CMS, the dialogue he delivers, i am really starting to like this actor and want to look past this actors works.  

So, did AOJ also found out that the DW gang new head is now with CMS????? I am really worried abt JY mom.  CMS already found out that she is JY mom.  I think in the coming episodes she is going to blackmail JY and  separate her from BSP.  

BSP gang is the best.  i like their humorous attitude and i kind of feel light when watching the drama becoz of  them. 

All in all LL is excellent in entertaining the viewers and hope the upcoming episode is also good.  Last but not the least, i am enjoy watching LJK after a long time and his chemistry with SYJ is the best.  Fighting!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, pad-hari said:

Finished watching ep.10 with subs.  OMO!!!!!!OMO!!!!!!OMO!!!!! that ending, though WOW!!!!!!

I have not seen the actor who plays AOJ,  he is doing a great job.  I am  not praising him coz he sided with BSP, but really his acting is excellent.  The expressions he gives, when he thinks why he has been kicked off by CMS, the dialogue he delivers, i am really starting to like this actor and want to look past this actors works.  

So, did AOJ also found out that the DW gang new head is now with CMS????? I am really worried abt JY mom.  CMS already found out that she is JY mom.  I think in the coming episodes she is going to blackmail JY and  separate her from BSP.  

BSP gang is the best.  i like their humorous attitude and i kind of feel light when watching the drama becoz of  them. 

All in all LL is excellent in entertaining the viewers and hope the upcoming episode is also good.  Last but not the least, i am enjoy watching LJK after a long time and his chemistry with SYJ is the best.  Fighting!!!!!!!

I have the opposite impression. Her ultimate goal is to have HJY by her side. She knows that in order to change HJY's opinion about her is to have the mother returned to HJY. Remember that CMS made a promise to her: she would find her mother for her. So if CMS lies to HJY saying that she found her mother NHJ, she thinks that HJY will be thankful and will perceive CMS in a different light. However, if this happens, then CMS is making a terrible mistake: HJY knows her past. CMS is chasing after an illusion: she wants the innocent and pure HJY from before, the one who didn't know BSP.

@zenya22 @triplem EDIT: HJY has already met her mother and the latter told her that her life had been stolen from her. Even if she kills NHJ and tells HJY that she found her body, HJY will recognize that the person she met was her mother. She will know that CMS was behind it. Like HJY said to CMS, her past shapes her future. CMS won't be able to change anything, it will never be the same. 

okay so now we know AOJ is starting to realized that CMS is not trusting him anymore.. I'm kinda hoping for these two to turn their backs on each other, it'd be fun hohohoho

OKAY AGAIN WITH THE LOVING GAZE BETWEEN JY AND SP LIKE GAHHHHH LOVE IT AND THE "BECAUSE YOU'RE MY MAN" LIKE HOLY SHOOTS i cringed but I LOVE IT HUEHUE ^^

and omg SP's goons and geum siblings are SO CUTE LOVE THE DYNAMICS BETWEEN THEM 

i kinda feel bad for JY's father when he went over to CMS's house to take pictures.. like especially when he actually encountered his wife but didn't know it was her.. whereas JY's mother was on the verge of crying after seeing her husband.. FEELS OMG

OKAY BUT THAT FIGHT SCENE THO???? TEAM SP+OJ????? LIKE WOAH DID NOT EXPECT THAT (but that part where they punched each other at the same time I LAUGHED LMAO) 

tho i kinda expected samchon's 2nd in command to work with Judge Cha cause what's loyalty nowadays lmao

holy moly shootzu moly THAT PLOT TWIST AT THE END THO???? (tho i lowkey expected AOJ to team up with our leads sooner or later)

DAMN THE DOG HAS DECIDED TO RUN AWAY FROM IT'S OWNER 

i can imagine how furious CMS is right now kekekek but too bad jokes on her!!

can i just say how the actors are really so damn good in portraying their roles???? especially the two veterans, like DAMN THEY'RE GOOD

preview for next week looks intense, but glad SP will be out and ho ho ho GUESS IT'S WAR! 

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The two comments have something in common. They criticize how ridiculous the trial is and indirectly implies that the writer should have done a better work. However, since I have a totally different approach (I am a History teacher), the trial didn't bother me at all. For me, we should see Kiseong as a city under a dictatorship hence trials where innocent people are killed by the law always look ridiculous. Let me give an example. When Stalin was ruling over the Sowjetunion, there is a period called the Great Terror (1936-1938). From 1936 onwards, a series of major trials indicted most of the country's political, economic and military leaders: half of the members of the Party's political bureau were thus arrested, convicted and shot. In 2 years, 1.5 million of people are convicted and sent to goulags and more than 650.000 executed. When you read the protocols of such trials, you will be shocked how ridiculous the interrogation was conducted, what kind of evidence was used against the accused. Let give one example: Zelenski who was in charge of agricultural cooperation is accused of sabotage. When the prosecutor interrogates him, he always repeats exactly what the prosecutor says with his "questions".

@bebebisous33 @sava2sava both your comments are on point. I just realized this is a story being played in Gisung. Yes, this is Gisung ruled by a dictator who has an ego bigger than the world and hence the ridiculously unfair trial. Even though CM did not agree with her dog, she is now in a compromising position where she has to maintain her image of justness in her court of Gisung but also keep SP in prison. He is the enemy who is trying to blow her cover as a just judge, who is in Gisung to reveal the truth of a crime committed 18 years ago and who took away her "daughter" JY from her. Yes, to get BSP out of prison where he will always be in danger of being killed and to get the trial thrown out, JY has to play by the Gisung rules, play dirty. Together once more

28 minutes ago, lebritneeey said:

okay so now we know AOJ is starting to realized that CMS is not trusting him anymore.. I'm kinda hoping for these two to turn their backs on each other, it'd be fun hohohoho

Actually, the last episode revealed that AOJ has never been trusted by CMS. From the start, he was just a pawn she needed to use in order to gain more power. That's why she chose him as the future mayor of Kiseong. While the latter thought that his nomination as mayor was a way to reward his loyalty, it was in reality a trap to strip AOJ of his power. AOJ only realized in the end that CMS wanted him to become mayor in order to possess OHJU group that's why she forced him to donate his shares to her father's foundation, which means it is in her pocket. By becoming a mayor, AOJ can no longer use his thugs/minions like before as he has to maintain a certain image. He is observed by the media and by the workers. In my opinion, BSP's move (to target the bank director Son Sung Sik) helped CMS in the long run. Thanks to him, she received the money directly, while in her first plan she intended to use the bank director Son Sung Sik. If you look at the bigger picture, the club 7 has lost two of his "members" but only CMS benefited from it. She has the support from DW gang and she obtained the money from AOJ served on a silver plate due to BSP's intervention. Like I had mentioned it before, his resent for AOJ blinded him as he was more targeting AOJ than CMS. We shouldn't forget that BSP didn't know the reason why CMS ordered the murder of his mother and himself. Only in the episode 10, he witnessed that CMS committed a crime and AOJ covered it up for her.

AOJ was loyal to her all these years because he liked CBH, her father. Since her father treated him like an equal, he thought that CMS would do the same. But she never did for one moment. She saw herself as superior and entitled. For her, he is just a tool... a dog that can be killed, where it is no longer needed. 

16 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

@bebebisous33 @sava2sava both your comments are on point. I just realized this is a story being played in Gisung. Yes, this is Gisung ruled by a dictator who has an ego bigger than the world and hence the ridiculously unfair trial. Even though CM did not agree with her dog, she is now in a compromising position where she has to maintain her image of justness in her court of Gisung but also keep SP in prison. He is the enemy who is trying to blow her cover as a just judge, who is in Gisung to reveal the truth of a crime committed 18 years ago and who took away her "daughter" JY from her. Yes, to get BSP out of prison where he will always be in danger of being killed and to get the trial thrown out, JY has to play by the Gisung rules, play dirty. Together once more

Thanks a lot for the compliment. By having killed in jail or at the hospital, CMS wanted to be seen by HJY as she had nothing to do with BSP's death. HJY couldn't have blamed her as CMS had told her that she wanted her to win the trial. Now, HJY is well aware that CMS was behind it. The more CMS attempts to act like a fair and humble judge, the less HJY falls for this illusion. CMS is always a step behind to me.  

That last episode was good for a cackle. I chuckled my way through the skirmish and LOLed at the end when AOJ walked into the courtroom pronouncing BSP's innocence. And the look on CMS' face... priceless.

It's a case of my enemy's enemy is my friend on steroids. Why not? These people have already made a mockery of the investigative and judicial process anyway... what's a bit more drama in the comedic vein? Honestly, BSP should just sit back, fold his arms and let AOJ and CMS duke it out in the ring while he enjoys the show from the front row. We've been commenting a while on how tenuous these relationships seem to be... the cracks have turned into fissures and from the looks of things... full blown open conflict. I think it was inevitable because CMS is a first-class snob and doesn't appreciate even the people she calls "dogs". It doesn't occur to her that loyalty is a two-way street even if the person who is working for you mightn't be fit to tie your shoelaces. I also think that CMS has thoughts about occupying the Blue House, at least I'm guessing what that conversation with the politician was about. It would explain why she needs all that money that she "appropriated" from AOJ. Because of that, all these people are just pawns on her chessboard allowing her manoeuvre at her pleasure. She obviously suspects her new masseuse but seems content to do nothing about it for now.

That's the difference between rearing a dog and a man... a dog doesn't think or overthink things... he just does what he's told but a man has the capacity for independent thought.

The snobbery of the top dogs is generally hard to stomach but their sense of entitlement is so ridiculously entrenched that it tips over into the laughable territory. Ms Nam in a fit of tanty throws money around, forcing the "pleb" to get down on her hands and knees to get paid. She doesn't have much power of her own but in these moments when she's able to throw her weight around, she plays it up for whatever its worth. It reminds me of how my children are especially the eldest. When one of them gets scolded by a parent, the older one takes out her frustration on the younger because she feels powerless to defy mum or dad's authority. Well, that's what Ms Nam's throw-the-money-in-a-fit-of-rage episode reminded me of.

I am generally fine with the romance and it seems to be surprisingly robust mostly due to the strength of SP's commitment. But the husband tells me he doesn't find it really convincing. It wasn't needed, so he says. He may be right but it's a K drama, I tell him and they usually find a way of making it needed. Anyway, that's him. :wink:

Ironically I think BSP getting stabbed was probably one of the better things that happened to him and for the good guys. It widened a wedge between former allies and opened new opportunities for co-belligerence in a way not previously possible. To quote something that Jesus once said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

31 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, the last episode revealed that AOJ has never been trusted by CMS. From the start, he was just a pawn she needed to use in order to gain more power. That's why she chose him as the future mayor of Kiseong. While the latter thought that his nomination as mayor was a way to reward his loyalty, it was in reality a trap to strip AOJ of his power. AOJ only realized in the end that CMS wanted him to become mayor in order to possess OHJU group that's why she forced him to donate his shares to her father's foundation, which means it is in her pocket. By becoming a mayor, AOJ can no longer use his thugs/minions like before as he has to maintain a certain image. He is observed by the media and by the workers. In my opinion, BSP's move (to target the bank director Son Sung Sik) helped CMS in the long run. Thanks to him, she received the money directly, while in her first plan she intended to use the bank director Son Sung Sik. If you look at the bigger picture, the club 7 has lost two of his "members" but only CMS benefited from it. She has the support from DW gang and she obtained the money from AOJ served on a silver plate due to BSP's intervention. Like I had mentioned it before, his resent for AOJ blinded him as he was more targeting AOJ than CMS. We shouldn't forget that BSP didn't know the reason why CMS ordered the murder of his mother and himself. Only in the episode 10, he witnessed that CMS committed a crime and AOJ covered it up for her.

AOJ was loyal to her all these years because he liked CBH, her father. Since her father treated him like an equal, he thought that CMS would do the same. But she never did for one moment. She saw herself as superior and entitled. For her, he is just a tool... a dog that can be killed, where it is no longer needed. 

Thanks a lot for the compliment. By having killed in jail or at the hospital, CMS wanted to be seen by HJY as she had nothing to do with BSP's death. HJY couldn't have blamed her as CMS had told her that she wanted her to win the trial. Now, HJY is well aware that CMS was behind it. The more CMS attempts to act like a fair and humble judge, the less HJY falls for this illusion. CMS is always a step behind to me.  

Ahh, yes i realized that at the end when AOH realized it too..

this woman is the most cunning and manipulative woman ever. but she's very smart tho. DAMN. 

13 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Episode 10 in the hospital after the surgery when he seemed to be asleep and she again confessed how she now knows what she means to him, how he had thought of her so preciously and how she never knew but now she does, that he had always been protecting her. She then confessed that she will do the same that she will care for him as preciously as he does her and more. He woke up then and his face again showed how touched he was even with very little change and he asked, do you mean that? 

Then the scene after all that sweet stuff..:D

Ha Jae Yi’s constant struggle: not knowing if she should punch or kiss Sang Pil:D.They really are so married:D:D

tumblr_pa5ylsABbu1vem8apo2_400.gif or tumblr_pa5ylsABbu1vem8apo3_400.gif

In the end.. true to her character...releases her right hook:D and strikes.

tumblr_pa5ylsABbu1vem8apo1_400.giftumblr_pa5ylsABbu1vem8apo6_400.gif

It’s unfortunate that tVN tried to sell Lawless Lawyer as legal thriller drama, while this drama is neither a legal nor a realistic genre at all. Lawless Lawyer is a surrealist gangster-comedy-revenge genre (Pulp Fiction comes to my mind as an example, which shows PD KJM is really devoted to 90s gangster-comedy genre). The perceived view of gangsters is that they are tough, smart, mysterious and quite evil characters. So when this drama portrays a side of “normality” into its gangster characters, or sometimes showing their ultimate dumbness, it provides a dark humor effect, plus excess and the aestheticization of violence/fight scenes that is so fresh in k-drama. I LOVE this drama so much!

I have to say I loved the fight sequence of BSP and AOJ. I think PD KJM took inspiration from Oldboy. It was very reminiscent of a very popular scene from that movie. Great movie btw. 

9 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Can you believe someone made a baby with her? Blech.

I actually feel bad for KYH. Imagine growing up with a woman who screeches so much. Although there's clearly love there. NSJ is very much a mama bear to her.

Though she is immensely ignorant nasty trashy and mean she does love her daughter ,Probably the only one she loves really, subconsciously see’s in her daughter everything she is not and Wants better for Yeon Hee than she has had. Unfortunately Her annoying, threatening, violent and manipulative ways are the only means her crude mind and nature knows to process those feelings though.She is a brute.

56 minutes ago, kjoy said:

I actually feel bad for KYH. Imagine growing up with a woman who screeches so much. Although there's clearly love there. NSJ is very much a mama bear to her.

Does she have a dad? It seems like he's not part of the equation.

1 hour ago, persianrose said:

It’s unfortunate that tVN tried to sell Lawless Lawyer as legal thriller drama, while this drama is neither a legal nor a realistic genre at all. Lawless Lawyer is a surrealist gangster-comedy-revenge genre (Pulp Fiction comes to my mind as an example, which shows PD KJM is really devoted to 90s gangster-comedy genre). The perceived view of gangsters is that they are tough, smart, mysterious and quite evil characters. So when this drama portrays a side of “normality” into its gangster characters, or sometimes showing their ultimate dumbness, it provides a dark humor effect, plus excess and the aestheticization of violence/fight scenes that is so fresh in k-drama. I LOVE this drama so much!

I agree! They just happen to be lawyers who are fighting Judge Cha and working on putting her in her rightful place. Behind bars. I also love how LSG does his action scenes. Such a joy to watch.

I just suspect NSJ may have had a job like a bar hostess or other job where entertaining men was involved and it was a hit it and quit it.  She dosen’t strike me as a younger woman who would have had problem with that.

Edit: Bar hostess not bat. Bats would have better taste...

@allythefangirl there's been speculation here that she could be CBH's (CMS' dad) daughter, but who knows who's the actual father.

Was this show ever promoted as a legal thriller though? I thought it was always promoted as revenge drama with legal elements...

Y'know whether the romance is necessary or not, I personally appreciate it. As a girl who never really sets out to watch romance and actually prefers when romance isn't a factor in the dramas I watch, the BSP/HJY pairing is one that I can fully get behind. There's such great understanding between them, tenderness, protectiveness (from both of them) trust, love and no naivety (which I definitely like). Plus they get to experience love without losing the essence of who they are as individuals or losing focus of what their goal is. And they get to experience this without being the main focus. I also believe these are two characters who deserve love after what they've been through. 

4 minutes ago, allythefangirl said:
44 minutes ago, kjoy said:

@allythefangirl there's been speculation here that she could be CBH's (CMS' dad) daughter, but who knows who's the actual father.

Probably the reason why CMS seems to be irritated with her. It actually makes sense! 

Well, there was a shouting exchange actually it was just NSJ who was shouting at AOJ that if CMS is the mother of Gisung then YH is the daughter of Gisung.... and AOJ sarcastically answered that he heard that CMS had called the bar to lift JY's suspension which irritated NSJ more hah!! I don't like AOJ but that was one time I cheered for his answer at NSJ..... but then it made think about her statement that YH is the daughter of Gisung maybe YH could possibly be the daughter of the old judge??? who knows 

Archived