[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

5 hours ago, Romulan said:

Ah so this timeline?  --Id overlooked it before when reading articles.  This clears up alot of things!   https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/timeline-for-three-lives-three-worlds

@Romulan Just to reiterate what the other people have said. This is timeline provided by Tang Qi herself in her Chinese blog (if you are able to read Chinese you could look at it). The ELOD soompi team has translated it. This time line is not explicit in any of her books hence TQ has done this to clarify thing for readers/viewers.

My recommendation to everyone who read this ELOD Soompi blog is that you also need to read in conjunction with this: (you probably have read it already?, if you have not read then it is a must read). 

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/qing-qiu-heavenly-clan-demon-race-ghost-race-the-underworld

Both info will give you an oversight in TQ works and you will enjoy the books even more (like I do).  :)

The timeline in TMOPB drama mixed up a lot of things and invented so many things which to me quite annoying. They also change the characters in the drama e.g. Qing Qui is in fact a very powerful empire but in the drama they bow to TJ, DH/FJ are very weak characters in TMOPB, MY romantic feeling to BQ, etc. - those are wrong.  Hence, I don't like these sides of TMOPB drama.  

By the way I found one mistake in the timeline.  But I think most people don't notice it. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

@Romulan Just to reiterate what the other people have said. This is timeline provided by Tang Qi herself in her Chinese blog (if you are able to read Chinese you could look at it). The ELOD soompi team has translated it. This time line is not explicit in any of her books hence TQ has done this to clarify thing for readers/viewers.

My recommendation to everyone who read this ELOD Soompi blog is that you also need to read in conjunction with this: (you probably have read it already?, if you have not read then it is a must read). 

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/qing-qiu-heavenly-clan-demon-race-ghost-race-the-underworld

Ive only recently started to learn Chinese Im a long way from being able to read blogs in Chinese yet.  Oh I trust stuff on the ELOD soompi blog, I d just overlooked the timeline before when I was reading thru the articles.  

I also like that article in particular.  -I wish the ELOD drama hadnt had them bow. - it is annoying. 

6 hours ago, Ninky said:

Zhe yan is a fire red phoenix. He did not hatch like Shao Wan. He was born of fire like a true phoenix who rises from the ashes.

Cool. i had seen where it mentions he wasnt hatched from an egg but not his coloration.  :)  Does that mean Shao Wan has the more multi-color variation since she was hatched?  (Ive always been partial to eastern dragons, foxes and phoenixes -so i love getting to finding out what color variations)

Has it been mentioned why the immortals use mounts when they have the Cloud Jumping/teleporting skills or why some that even have human forms are content to also be mounts? (BiFan, Firey Qilin?)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Ive only recently started to learn Chinese Im a long way from being able to read blogs in Chinese yet.  Oh I trust stuff on the ELOD soompi blog, I d just overlooked the timeline before when I was reading thru the articles.  

I also like that article in particular.  -I wish the ELOD drama hadnt had them bow. - it is annoying. 

Cool. i had seen where it mentions he wasnt hatched from an egg but not his coloration.  :)  Does that mean Shao Wan has the more multi-color variation since she was hatched?  (Ive always been partial to eastern dragons, foxes and phoenixes -so i love getting to finding out what color variations)

Shao Wan is a beautiful pure white phoenix. That’s why she wears white a lot and she loves it.

Has it been mentioned why the immortals use mounts when they have the Cloud Jumping/teleporting skills or why some that even have human forms are content to also be mounts? (BiFan, Firey Qilin?)

They think they look cool on mounts, its more for eyecandy and showing off. Bai Zhen loves collecting them.

Will try to fix that timeline error but we have checked and rechecked before the other stuff should all be correct.

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

Both info will give you an oversight in TQ works and you will enjoy the books even more (like I do).  :)

Yes, please read all our translation for the universe settings as well. They help u understand the books better. And we have our sweat, blood and tears in it in the course of translating the quotes she pulled out from thise chinese classics. Ancient chinese is NOT easy to translate!

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

The timeline in TMOPB drama mixed up a lot of things and invented so many things which to me quite annoying. They also change the characters in the drama e.g. Qing Qui is in fact a very powerful empire but in the drama they bow to TJ, DH/FJ are very weak characters in TMOPB, MY romantic feeling to BQ, etc. - those are wrong.  Hence, I don't like these sides of TMOPB drama.  

i think I also raised this issue before. Qing Qiu is powerful, that’s why  Tian Jun wants that political marriage for a permanent alliance. And now with Dong Hua as the other son-in-law, nobody will dare to even try to touch Qing Qiu. That’s just suicidal if anyone tries. And no I did not like the time changed in tmopb drama or the DH / FJ arc. I much prefer ELOD for that.

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

By the way I found one mistake in the timeline.  But I think most people don't notice it. :) 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Shao Wan is a beautiful pure white phoenix. That’s why she wears white a lot and she loves it.

OOooo Ive never seen a white phoenix. Now need to try and do some sketching of one.. :) (Im by no means a prof. artist but I do like to sketch a  bit)

19 minutes ago, Ninky said:

They think they look cool on mounts, its more for eyecandy and showing off. Bai Zhen loves collecting them.

Why do the more human mounts agree to it? (In the drama BiFang says agreed to be Bai Zhen's because he loved Bai Qian) 

20 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Yes, please read all our translation for the universe settings as well. They help u understand the books better. And we have our sweat, blood and tears in it in the course of translating the quotes she pulled out from thise chinese classics. Ancient chinese is NOT easy to translate!

Oh I have. Ive been hunting for a good translations of the reference book you mention (though it seems like most english translations dont include any images -which seems to defeat the point..)

20 minutes ago, Ninky said:

i think I also raised this issue before. Qing Qiu is powerful, that’s why  Tian Jun wants that political marriage for a permanent alliance. And now with Dong Hua as the other son-in-law, nobody will dare to even try to touch Qing Qiu. That’s just suicidal if anyone tries. And no I did not like the time changed in tmopb drama or the DH / FJ arc. I much prefer ELOD for that.

yea. TMOPB does have its flaws but we can blame most of those on them not having access to the Pillow Book info.  The bowing for the decree in ELOD really annoyed me because of it.  

What goes on in Qing Qiu? Do they show it more in the books? I mean we know that the Bai family are all High Gods, but (at least in the drama) its mentioned that QQ doesnt keep a standing army and at least in BQ's realm they treat the land alot like a mortal realm but I think in alot of ways that helps strengthen/keep the people strong and tough.  I know that Bai family are loved by their people and thats an important indication. Im just curious for more background into the daily lives/habits over there.  (While there are the fox clan(s) prior to the Pillow book are there any other significant groups that prefer to live under the Bai's?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

@Ninky the part with discrepancy in the timeline is the "30,000 years before the onset of Peach Blossoms". It is 300, rather than 30,000.

Yep. that is the one. You have nine tailed fox eyes. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, Romulan said:

OOooo Ive never seen a white phoenix. Now need to try and do some sketching of one.. :) (Im by no means a prof. artist but I do like to sketch a  bit)

Why do the more human mounts agree to it? (In the drama BiFang says agreed to be Bai Zhen's because he loved Bai Qian) 

Oh I have. Ive been hunting for a good translations of the reference book you mention (though it seems like most english translations dont include any images -which seems to defeat the point..)

yea. TMOPB does have its flaws but we can blame most of those on them not having access to the Pillow Book info.  The bowing for the decree in ELOD really annoyed me because of it.  

What goes on in Qing Qiu? Do they show it more in the books? I mean we know that the Bai family are all High Gods, but (at least in the drama) its mentioned that QQ doesnt keep a standing army and at least in BQ's realm they treat the land alot like a mortal realm but I think in alot of ways that helps strengthen/keep the people strong and tough.  I know that Bai family are loved by their people and thats an important indication. Im just curious for more background into the daily lives/habits over there.  (While there are the fox clan(s) prior to the Pillow book are there any other significant groups that prefer to live under the Bai's?

Qing Qiu was designed more like an immortal village. And because of them being located on the earthern areas (they are foxes after all), the people under them are these sorts of immortals, for example mushroom immortals, firefly immortals, bear spirits and other more earthy type creatures (Feng Jiu has a neighbour in the book called Little Brother Grey Wolf so this gives you an idea of who they are surrounded by), if you know what I mean? It's like a foresty village by the Wang Sheng Sea (the large lake by Qing Qiu tmopb drama got this setting pretty accurate depicted).

Most of those animal and plant spirits all eventually become an immortal and/or fairy because of the strong spiritual essence there. A good example was Mi Gu, who first became a spirit and then a high immortal.

I think there was a scene of Feng Jiu in mourning colours and the flower in her hair when she returned from mortal world on a beautiful lake in ELOD? That is the Wang Sheng Sea, which is a large lake. And in the book, that is exactly where DH and FJ met for the first time. Mi Gu was shocked that Dong Hua came with the wedding party along with Mo Yuan. That was destiny calling actually. Mo Yuan was there to pick up the bride not as the bride's teacher but the groom's brother. It is customary for the elder brother to pick up his younger brother's bride in this universe.

It was this scene that Dong Hua recalled in the closing scene to the outtake in Chapter 8. That he saw her beautiful face and her dripping wet hair after she emerged from the sea. And Dong Hua realised that was where he had fallen in love with her at first sight. He had not recognised it as attraction the first time they met but in this last recollection of the actual first meeting, he did.

So now we know the reason for his persistence in teasing her thereafter, it was all because somebody was in love , but at the time had no self awareness of it.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 3

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

And in the book, that is exactly where DH and FJ met for the first time. Mi Gu was shocked that Dong Hua came with the wedding party along with Mo Yuan. That was destiny calling actually.

It was, coz why would a recluse join the wedding procession? Anyhow, him being part of the party is like giving Qing Qiu a glimpse of the next son-in-law. ^_^

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

So now we know the reason for his persistence in teasing her thereafter, it was all because somebody was in love , but at the time had no self awareness of it.

His "courtship" is the strangest, like that boy pulling the girl's pigtails, LOL, but the intention that he really wants to be with her was obvious: where he takes handkerchief FJ with him, refusal to give her back to Zhe Yan, exchanging residences with XY in Fanyin Valley, and putting up wards for closed in training.

@Pesca posters for you. :) These were released later when the drama was already on air. Not sure either if all the drawn character posters were posted in the thread before.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Qing Qiu was designed more like an immortal village. And because of them being located on the earthern areas (they are foxes after all), the people under them are these sorts of immortals, for example mushroom immortals, firefly immortals, bear spirits and other more earthy type creatures (Feng Jiu has a neighbour in the book called Little Brother Grey Wolf so this gives you an idea of who they are surrounded by), if you know what I mean? It's like a foresty village by the Wang Sheng Sea (the large lake by Qing Qiu tmopb drama got this setting pretty accurate depicted).

Most of those animal and plant spirits all eventually become an immortal and/or fairy because of the strong spiritual essence there. A good example was Mi Gu, who first became a spirit and then a high immortal.

I think there was a scene of Feng Jiu in mourning colours and the flower in her hair when she returned from mortal world on a beautiful lake in ELOD? That is the Wang Sheng Sea, which is a large lake. And in the book, that is exactly where DH and FJ met for the first time. Mi Gu was shocked that Dong Hua came with the wedding party along with Mo Yuan. That was destiny calling actually. Mo Yuan was there to pick up the bride not as the bride's teacher but the groom's brother. It is customary for the elder brother to pick up his younger brother's bride in this universe.

It was this scene that Dong Hua recalled in the closing scene to the outtake in Chapter 8. That he saw her beautiful face and her dripping wet hair after she emerged from the sea. And Dong Hua realised that was where he had fallen in love with her at first sight. He had not recognised it as attraction the first time they met but in this last recollection of the actual first meeting, he did.

There are mushroom and firefly immortals??!!!!  0_o that is so cool!  :)

Wolves, bears.. no wonder the whole place is considered so powerful!  :)  Since all those various earthern spirits all are happy under the Bai's is very telling!

The fact that the Bai's can rule that with far less hassle than what Celestial's do is a testament to that too!  :)   Thanks Ninky! Love all the extra details!

55 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

It was, coz why would a recluse join the wedding procession? Anyhow, him being part of the party is like giving Qing Qiu a glimpse of the next son-in-law. ^_^

His "courtship" is the strangest, like that boy pulling the girl's pigtails, LOL, but the intention that he really wants to be with her was obvious: where he takes handkerchief FJ with him, refusal to give her back to Zhe Yan, exchanging residences with XY in Fanyin Valley, and putting up wards for closed in training.

@Pesca posters for you. :) These were released later when the drama was already on air. Not sure either if all the drawn character posters were posted in the thread before.

(did he really go in hopes of finding his 'lost' spirit pet fox? --thats the reason in the drama)

--huh, and now I wonder what became of the Snow Lion?  didnt look like JH took it with her. (though it deserves punishment for almost killing FJ!)

Also need your help/advice guys!  I needed to order a wig for a cosplay and I realized if I bough a 2nd one Id hit the mark for free shipping.

So, the 2nd wig I want to get is to help give the impression of a phoenix. -they have a wig that fits that (and is even called phoenix) my challenge is deciding which red best embodies a phoenix. Im leaning toward the Cherry red but both the Rust Red and Apple Red also seem like decent colors. --What do you guys think?   https://arda-wigs.com/products/phoenix-classic?variant=33049191055446

31 minutes ago, Romulan said:

(did he really go in hopes of finding his 'lost' spirit pet fox? --thats the reason in the drama)

That was only for the drama. Mark Chao wasn't available to cameo as Mo Yuan due to his wife giving birth to their first baby. It's a nice little change though drama POV, that DH goes to Qing Qiu to see if he can find his little fox. Well, he did see his missing fox, in her real form. :)

In the book, he joins the wedding spectacle, even going as far as to collect the bride in Qing Qiu with Mo Yuan. As a recluse, described in the book that a murder in front of Tai Chen Palace won't make him go out, it's very extraordinary that he is there joining the wedding revelry. That's the pull of fate; it was time for Dong Hua and Feng Jiu to meet as Dijun and Qingqiu Princess.

Apple red and cherry red look fine.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Apple red is what I like as I feel it’s richer and more vibrant!

3 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

That was only for the drama. Mark Chao wasn't available to cameo as Mo Yuan due to his wife giving birth to their first baby. It's a nice little change though drama POV, that DH goes to Qing Qiu to see if he can find his little fox. Well, he did see his missing fox, in her real form. :)

In the book, he joins the wedding spectacle, even going as far as to collect the bride in Qing Qiu with Mo Yuan. As a recluse, described in the book that a murder in front of Tai Chen Palace won't make him go out, it's very extraordinary that he is there joining the wedding revelry. That's the pull of fate, it was time for Dong Hua and Feng Jiu to meet as Dijun and Qingqiu Princess.

Even in the outtake in his young self, when their eyes met across the room when she got to his room. That’s when the electricity zinged. He saw her exquisite beauty instantly (thats what he described it, an extremely exquisite beautiful face).

in that first meeting, as part of the wedding party, Tang Qi didn’t write Dong Hua’s reaction to seeing her but at the end of the outtake she wrote Dong Hua’s recollection of her then. So in a way she made it come full circle.  That is a very fitting way to end the outtake, coming full circle to the start of the Pillow Book.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, Ninky said:

I think there was a scene of Feng Jiu in mourning colours and the flower in her hair when she returned from mortal world on a beautiful lake in ELOD? That is the Wang Sheng Sea, which is a large lake. And in the book, that is exactly where DH and FJ met for the first time.

I like those settings of Wang Sheng sea and fox cave in ELOD, could you remind me again the meaning of Wang Sheng?

It would have been spectacular scene to see if they follow the book when FJ emerged from the sea.  

Awww.. how romantic.:wub: So DH finally admit that it is love at first sight for him. That remind me of VG interview, he said (on behalf of DH), I love you from the very beginning.....

I love this PB extra.

What I really like about her books is that TQ can write beautiful story with so much humour (and heartbreaks). You don't see many books that have both beautiful story as well as being funny. Also there is a sense of gender equality (female can be generals, love between ZY and BZ etc). 

8 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Awesome. :glasses:Thank you so much. I never have a chance to see any of these. Not a lot come up in the search here.

Appreciate all these extra treats.

7 hours ago, Ninky said:

Even in the outtake in his young self, when their eyes met across the room when she got to his room. That’s when the electricity zinged. He saw her exquisite beauty instantly (thats what he described it, an extremely exquisite beautiful face).

in that first meeting, as part of the wedding party, Tang Qi didn’t write Dong Hua’s reaction to seeing her but at the end of the outtake she wrote Dong Hua’s recollection of her then. So in a way she made it come full circle.  That is a very fitting way to end the outtake, coming full circle to the start of the Pillow Book.

Love this. 

Looking forward to read your translation of this chapter :)

7 hours ago, Romulan said:

Im leaning toward the Cherry red but both the Rust Red and Apple Red also seem like decent colors. --What do you guys think?

I like rust red but I am bias as I like orange/rust colour in general. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

“I’m not sure how but Vengo keeps getting taller... because I always think, ‘with other actors around his height, I don’t need an apple box—why do I need the box with him?!’ I actually like the scenes when I’m not on the box because he’s taller and I’m supposed to be a little fox. Our height difference helps bring out the gap in the characters’ age and status.” — Dilraba Dilmurat

Agree with Reba about their height difference in the scenes she's not on an apple box. ^_^

Thanks a bunch @Jillia, for the lovely gifs :heart: All those memorable scenes why watching ELOD is something I can do again and again. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

“I’m not sure how but Vengo keeps getting taller... because I always think, ‘with other actors around his height, I don’t need an apple box—why do I need the box with him?!’ I actually like the scenes when I’m not on the box because he’s taller and I’m supposed to be a little fox. Our height difference helps bring out the gap in the characters’ age and status.” — Dilraba Dilmurat

How tall are Vengo and Dilraba?

Also thank you for all the gif's and photos. 

I think ELOD really outdid themselves to make visually amazing sets :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pesca said:

I like those settings of Wang Sheng sea and fox cave in ELOD, could you remind me again the meaning of Wang Sheng?

It would have been spectacular scene to see if they follow the book when FJ emerged from the sea.  

Sea of Past Life (往生海) i think they didn’t have the budget as this would need special effects.

2 hours ago, Pesca said:

Awww.. how romantic.:wub: So DH finally admit that it is love at first sight for him. That remind me of VG interview, he said (on behalf of DH), I love you from the very beginning.....

The first time their eyes met, it was irrevocable love at first sight for him. And yes he had a reverie in that scene, thinking about her at the Sea of Past Life. 

2 hours ago, Pesca said:

I love this PB extra.

What I really like about her books is that TQ can write beautiful story with so much humour (and heartbreaks). You don't see many books that have both beautiful story as well as being funny. Also there is a sense of gender equality (female can be generals, love between ZY and BZ etc). 

She is an equal opportunity writer. Next two book titles have a lot

of female heroes.

2 hours ago, Pesca said:

Awesome. :glasses:Thank you so much. I never have a chance to see any of these. Not a lot come up in the search here.

Appreciate all these extra treats.

Love this. 

Looking forward to read your translation of this chapter :)

I am working on chapter 4 even as we speak :). It should not be too long till we post it!

2 hours ago, Pesca said:

For me I love the richer hue reds but rust works too :)

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

9 minutes ago, Romulan said:

How tall are Vengo and Dilraba?

Also thank you for all the gif's and photos. 

I think ELOD really outdid themselves to make visually amazing sets :)

Vengo is 191cm/6'3" while Reba is 168cm/5'6". Rumours though, and I kinda agree (for Vengo in Miss S), that they're taller than their "official heights".

• Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

10 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Apple red and cherry red look fine.

True..

Apple red is what I like as I feel it’s richer and more vibrant!

It does seem a bit richer..

3 hours ago, Pesca said:

Orange/Red is what I d would do for general reds but it didnt cry phoenix to me.

Thanks guys.

I ended up going with the Apple Red.  I screen capture all 4 colors and tossed them into Paint so  I could compare them side to side. I decided on Apple Red because I realized what i was liking in the cherry red was what looked almost like lights but I realized I can also just put a mini led string of lines in the wig and get the same type of glow.

Another reason I love this group!! Everyone is willing to help!

• Blob 1

Hello. Off topic question: does anyone feel like they’ve become obsessed with foxes since ELOD? I watched a Japanese show about a baby fox. I even borrowed a kid’s book about fox facts today.

while still not my favorite animal, my senses have definitely become attuned to it.

Otherwise reading books about gumiho is also interesting though not as additive as ELOD. I don’t think there is any other fox story as interesting as the 三生三世 universe

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1