[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Hide contents

“Qingqiu’s daughter, the Bai family’s Fengjiu, agile and clever, naturally elegant,” the young man’s voice was calm and leisurely, “winning my heart. I wish to marry her as husband and wife, remaining together and faithful forever.”

And...this isn't just a wedding, it's also the coronoration for the chosen Dihou!

Best wishes Xiao Bai, Congratulations Dijun! 

:fullofhearts:

×××××

Who else thinks now that PB extra should be adapted as drama/movie? That wedding! And this is just one ancient battle scene, but the scenery is awesome!

Does this mean that technically BQ would need to bow to her niece ? 

I really need a good visual for that crown!

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

19 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Ohhh right... this could be a sign that I need to read / watch it again... :sweatingbullets:

There are so many details in both drama and novel, even after watching the drama for a third time I notice things I hadn't before. Same with the book! :lol:

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

19 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Does this mean that technically BQ would need to bow to her niece ? 

I really need a good visual for that crown!

From a political ranking standpoint, I suppose she would, but she hasn't been born yet in this time period. But from family hierarchy, she wouldn't. Another way FJ and DH's marriage has messed up all the hierarchy's!

I'm imagining the flower wreath from Aranya's dream. I'm seeing so many parallels in this wedding to that scene where DH as Xize takes FJ to the Jade Maiden Festival. Did anyone else notice this: 

Another such thought was that in history, ancient male deities made flower wreaths for their sweethearts as a token of love. (PB2, 209)

It seems that this may have been true after all... 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 2

1 minute ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

From a political ranking standpoint, I suppose she would, but she hasn't been born yet in this time period. But from family hierarchy, she wouldn't. Another way FJ and DH's marriage has messed up all the hierarchy's!

I'm imagining the flower wreath from Aranya's dream. I'm seeing so many parallels in this wedding to that scene where DH as Xize takes FJ to the Jade Maiden Festival. Did anyone else notice this: 

Another such thought was that in history, ancient male deities made flower wreaths for their sweethearts as a token of love. (PB2, 209)

It seems that this may have been true after all... 

Ooo. you maybe right! I havnt gotten that far in the book yet but I remember the wreath crown he made for her in the drama.

Also what is a zhoudu tree? I was googling for images of it and google tries to change it to being just a zhou tree. 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Sprit crane foster parents thought bubble:

Reveal hidden contents

Dijun's genes will not be wasted!!! :sweatingbullets:

He barely talks, but gosh, he can be very romantic to the one he loves:

Reveal hidden contents

“Preparing this wedding ceremony, it isn’t because you asked anything of me, it’s only because I want to give it to you.”

Who can prepare such a beautiful wedding finery. In the middle of the war. No wonder he can stitch (in an old mini outtake, dissing other immortal men), not anymore surprising DH can also craft 200 gowns for FJ during their 200 years apart.

Reveal hidden contents

The two wore purple robes—they were brocade robes made from the silk of the silver and gold silkworms from the place the three-legged crows9 dwelt, the fusang tree10, and embellished with gold, silver, agate, colored glaze, shells, coral, and red pearls and jewels. Resplendent and stately, it was dazzling.

Anyone reminded of this? :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

With the red sun rising from the horizon, the melody of a bell ringing suddenly spread from the Nine Heavens. It was the sound that announced the auspicious time. As that distantly ringing bell slowly grew fainter, mantuoluo, manshusha, jinpuoluo, poshijia, jusumo, and fentuoli, all sorts of these wonderful flowers fell, one after another. In an instant, the entire Eight Realms was bathed in an endless flower rain.

That Jade Girl Festival in Aranya's dream.

And the most sincere and loving vows, in the middle of a battle no less. Nothing will stop him having this wedding ceremony for his wife.

Reveal hidden contents

“Qingqiu’s daughter, the Bai family’s Fengjiu, agile and clever, naturally elegant,” the young man’s voice was calm and leisurely, “winning my heart. I wish to marry her as husband and wife, remaining together and faithful forever.”

And...this isn't just a wedding, it's also the coronoration for the chosen Dihou!

Best wishes Xiao Bai, Congratulations Dijun! 

:fullofhearts:

×××××

Who else thinks now that PB extra should be adapted as drama/movie? That wedding! And this is just one ancient battle scene, but the scenery is awesome!

Agree! Maybe some talented fan out there will paint us a picture...

The wedding scene reminded me a lot of Aranya's dream... :wub:

The battle that is briefly described indeed made the war with the Ghost clan look like a skirmish though! 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

22 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Also what is a zhoudu tree? I was googling for images of it and google tries to change it to being just a zhou tree. 

Okie so I tried to do some Google-ing for you, and I could honestly be completely wrong because every source is in Chinese and the Buddhism stuff is far from my strong suit, but when I tried looking up the characters (昼度树), I was seeing "昼度树经" popping up, which means "zhoudu tree sutra." Tangqi uses Buddhism pretty heavily in her writing, so I think it is very possible she pulled the tree from that sutra. As for what the tree looks like, I found one source that says that the tree it refers to is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrina_variegata

But again, take it with a grain of salt because it was one source and it / I could be totally wrong. :)

• Like 1

UPDATE TO ELOD BLOG:

Back to Chaos in a Dream: Chapter Three

Three Lives Three Worlds Pillow Book Outtake

枕上书之梦回洪荒远古时

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/back-to-chaos-in-a-dream-chapter-three

We have always enjoyed playing in Tang Qi's sandbox. So here's our translation for Chapter Three!

The glossary has been updated with the new place names in the chapter. This time it's a lake :D.
Notes section has also been updated.
Do check back to the story from time to time as it is updated when we catch any small errors.  

So enjoy!

Translated by @Ninky
Edited by @nitepolaris @SC2019
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 2

8 minutes ago, Ninky said:

UPDATE TO ELOD BLOG:

枕上书之梦回洪荒远古时

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/back-to-chaos-in-a-dream-chapter-three

We have always enjoyed playing in Tang Qi's sandbox. So here's our translation for Chapter Three!

The glossary has been updated with the new place names in the chapter. This time it's a lake :D.
Do check back to the story from time to time as it is updated when we catch any small errors.  

So enjoy!

Translated by @Ninky

OMG that pic of BGG is just so damn cute!!  :fullofhearts:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

12 minutes ago, Ninky said:

UPDATE TO ELOD BLOG:

枕上书之梦回洪荒远古时

So enjoy!

Translated by @Ninky

Cool off to read!!

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Here's my translator's thoughts:

One surprising thing I have noticed about Di Jun is that he is quite patient with children.  It had been a long trying day of surprises for the poor man, yet he was still so patient with the two children at the end of the chapter.

This chapter also hints at the close Father and Son relationship, it most certainly appears to me that the relationship had grown and developed very well over the past decade in their universe. BGG talks about the jade inscription he had done together with his Father which had been hung on the entrance of the stone palace at the Heavenly Jade Sea. And the way he described his Father as omnipotent (there is nothing his Father couldn't do in his eyes) shows us readers how close they now are.

It is also quite clear that BGG has been well raised. He is well mannered and is pretty refined in his behaviour. In his case, we can now see that 10 years after he first met his Father, his parents were definitely not the hands off parents. While Qing Qiu has a tendency to do this, I have a feeling that Dong Hua is quite different. He was born by the elements and had no parents, so being a Father is really a new trajectory for him. As he never had a family growing up, it is quite clear how much he values his wife and his son just from the bits and pieces of information we see BGG's innocent eyes.'

And of course, the chapter's humour was largely the credit of High God Zhe Yan. Who can live without a gossip in the Three Lives Three Worlds Universe!

That's my 2 cents on this chapter but of course if people have further questions about the chapter or the overall universe of 3L3W, feel free to approach! I don't bite! :hooray2:

• Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

34 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Okie so I tried to do some Google-ing for you, and I could honestly be completely wrong because every source is in Chinese and the Buddhism stuff is far from my strong suit, but when I tried looking up the characters (昼度树), I was seeing "昼度树经" popping up, which means "zhoudu tree sutra." Tangqi uses Buddhism pretty heavily in her writing, so I think it is very possible she pulled the tree from that sutra. As for what the tree looks like, I found one source that says that the tree it refers to is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrina_variegata

But again, take it with a grain of salt because it was one source and it / I could be totally wrong. :)

Thanks ! I ll check it out and also keep on the hunt.

@Ninky do you have any ideas on what a zhoudu tree would look like?

One thing that surprised me is that they say its a little fox. - while she is young FJ is full grown -so shouldnt her fox form look to be of a similar size to a full grown fox?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Thanks ! I ll check it out and also keep on the hunt.

@Ninky do you have any ideas on what a zhoudu tree would look like?

One thing that surprised me is that they say its a little fox. - while she is young FJ is full grown -so shouldnt her fox form look to be of a similar size to a full grown fox?

Let me do some research. I found the flower Arabian Jasmines from Chapter three after some serious research. I found a buddhism glossary site by accident, I'll try to find that site and find some info on the tree for you @Romulan

The Arabian Jasmines were called Jasmina Sambac on that buddhism site which was how i found out it was the Arabian Jasmines. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Ninky said:

UPDATE TO ELOD BLOG:

枕上书之梦回洪荒远古时

So enjoy!

Translated by @Ninky

Bai Gun Gun => There's no denying he is the son of Dong Hua and Feng Jiu. Only a child of theirs that young can assess the situation clearly and know when to strike e.g. when to easily "walk-over" the burlier immortals who were trying to hack through DH's ward, butter up Dijun when he said he can only be the son of someone as good-looking as him, and even if Zhe Yan was being cheeky, the little boy didn't lose poise. 

LOL with Zhe Yan, he's having a good, nay, grand time needling Dong Hua, hahaha! Worth 3 years waiting for entry to Bihai Cangling, hahahaha!

“You said Di Jun had you at the elderly age of four hundred thousand years. If that’s the case, you must be the youngest of all his children, how many brothers and sisters do you have?"

LMAO with DH! 

Di Jun was once again silent for a while, his expression seemingly a little distracted, “Why did I marry her despite the huge age gap between us, was I forced into it?

No, in the future, you would be chasing her when you meet Bai Feng Jiu, young monarch of Qing Qiu! :lol:

• LOL 2
  • Wiggle 1

3 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Let me do some research. I found the flower Arabian Jasmines from Chapter three after some serious research. I found a buddhism glossary site by accident, I'll try to find that site and find some info on the tree for you @Romulan

The Arabian Jasmines were called Jasmina Sambac on that buddhism site which was how i found out it was the Arabian Jasmines. 

Thank you Ninky!

Also have a question in regards to out-take 3 contributions

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/the-pillowbook-one-shot-3-contributions

Why was it considered bring down for BQ to marry YH?

Is it because the Celestials were not High Gods or because YH was technically a generation lower than her. (unless we account for the fact he is also MY's twin brother) .

This also makes me wonder if there have been any details about Migu-how did he come to be at the Fox Den?  How was he selected over so many others since the  Bai clan doesnt go for large households of servants?

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

7 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Thank you Ninky!

Also have a question in regards to out-take 3 contributions

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/the-pillowbook-one-shot-3-contributions

Why was it considered bring down for BQ to marry YH?

Is it because the Celestials were not High Gods or because YH was technically a generation lower than her. (unless we account for the fact he is also MY's twin brother) .

This also makes me wonder if there have been any details about Migu-how did he come to be at the Fox Den?  How was he selected over so many others since the  Bai clan doesnt go for large households of servants?

HAHAHA! That was Di Jun's black humour at work again!

It is a bring down because BQ has a very high Immortal rank AND was previously the Queen of Qing Qiu proper. You know people actually refer to her as Aunt, an honorific title given to High Gods of a certain status. This was the reason why Tian Jun will not do anything to help Su Jin in the end (stupid jerk though he supported her all the way through till it went south).

By marrying Ye Hua who IS one generation below her and also one immortal rank behind is a bring down LOL. He is 50,000 years old and just a High Immortal, not a High God. So in this case, Dong Hua is correct that Bai Qian sorta had her status lowered when she married Ye Hua. She also had so many rules and regulations to follow now that she married Ye Hua. We know how meh her in laws can be. So even if she is a High God, if you follow the customary ranks of the Celestial clan, she is now under her in laws, iykwim, though technically she is still an immortal of higher rank and status.

It's partly why in some outtakes, they show BQ being really envious of FJ because Ye Hua is always busy, while FJ had good times with her hubby, DH, who always appears as if he has nothing better to do :)).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 2

4 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Mi Gu was dug out as a tree by Bai Zhi from Mt Zhaoyao and planted in Qing Qiu. After 3,000 years the tree cultivated to human form,  then another 3,000 years he became an Earth immortal.

While Mother was pregnant with Fourth Brother, she and Father had an argument. She ran from the house and got lost, ending up on Zhaoyao Mountain. Father eventually found her, but he was so worried about her getting lost again that he dug up the only Mystic Gorge tree on Zhaoyao Mountain and carried it back to Qingqiu, where he planted it on our doorstep.

Qingqiu is an immortal paradise, and after three thousand years of bathing in the sun and the moon and swirling in the energy of the seasons, this Mystic Gorge tree had cultivated enough spiritual energy to transforminto human form. Another three thousand years passed, and he became an earth god.

Father gave Mystic Gorge a couple of bundles of bamboo as a celebratory gift, which Mystic Gorge used, along with some thatching, to build himself a three-room hut next door to the foxhole, thus becoming our closest neighbor. (TTSK, ch1, p39)

• Insightful 2

Just now, MayanEcho said:

Mi Gu was dug out as a tree by Bai Zhi from Mt Zhaoyao and planted in Qing Qiu. After 3,000 years the tree cultivated to human form,  then another 3,000 years he became an Earth immortal.

While Mother was pregnant with Fourth Brother, she and Father had an argument. She ran from the house and got lost, ending up on Zhaoyao Mountain. Father eventually found her, but he was so worried about her getting lost again that he dug up the only Mystic Gorge tree on Zhaoyao Mountain and carried it back to Qingqiu, where he planted it on our doorstep.

Qingqiu is an immortal paradise, and after three thousand years of bathing in the sun and the moon and swirling in the energy of the seasons, this Mystic Gorge tree had cultivated enough spiritual energy to transforminto human form. Another three thousand years passed, and he became an earth god.

Father gave Mystic Gorge a couple of bundles of bamboo as a celebratory gift, which Mystic Gorge used, along with some thatching, to build himself a three-room hut next door to the foxhole, thus becoming our closest neighbor. (TTSK, ch1, p39)

HAHHA They do fight! The fox king and queen! That was a nasty one since she ran away from home....nine tailed foxes are known for their awful pregnancies and apparently labour is also harder on them. I can imagine FJ having BGG on her own! 

• LOL 1

27 minutes ago, Ninky said:

HAHHA They do fight! The fox king and queen! That was a nasty one since she ran away from home....nine tailed foxes are known for their awful pregnancies and apparently labour is also harder on them. I can imagine FJ having BGG on her own! 

3 YEARS of labor????  I watched my mom go through that process of 9-10 months way too much to think of how bad 3 years each wouldve been. (Im 2nd of 12 kids and can remember 9 of those pregnancies quite well).

25 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Ali takes after grandma! :lol:

True! that!

31 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Father eventually found her, but he was so worried about her getting lost again that he dug up the only Mystic Gorge tree on Zhaoyao Mountain and carried it back to Qingqiu, where he planted it on our doorstep.

So Bai Qian's ability to get lost so easily comes from her mom?

Thanks Mayan! Ive been told TTSK  is not a good translation.  Are there any fan done or better translations out there for reading TMOPBs?

35 minutes ago, Ninky said:

HAHAHA! That was Di Jun's black humour at work again!

It is a bring down because BQ has a very high Immortal rank AND was previously the Queen of Qing Qiu proper. You know people actually refer to her as Aunt, an honorific title given to High Gods of a certain status. This was the reason why Tian Jun will not do anything to help Su Jin in the end (stupid jerk though he supported her all the way through till it went south).

By marrying Ye Hua who IS one generation below her and also one immortal rank behind is a bring down LOL. He is 50,000 years old and just a High Immortal, not a High God. So in this case, Dong Hua is correct that Bai Qian sorta had her status lowered when she married Ye Hua. She also had so many rules and regulations to follow now that she married Ye Hua. We know how meh her in laws can be. So even if she is a High God, if you follow the customary ranks of the Celestial clan, she is now under her in laws, iykwim, though technically she is still an immortal of higher rank and status.

It's partly why in some outtakes, they show BQ being really envious of FJ because Ye Hua is always busy, while FJ had good times with her hubby, DH, who always appears as if he has nothing better to do :)).

Ah that makes sense. Though we can still blame the Fox King/Queen a bit for that one.. and Zhe Lan.. (How did he ever think Sang Ji would be a good match??? Lian Song I could see.)

You know its a good thing that DH doesnt have parents or a clan -just think how much worse the heirachies would be if there was those to add into the mix too?!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

17 minutes ago, Romulan said:

3 YEARS of labor????  I watched my mom go through that process of 9-10 months way too much to think of how bad 3 years each wouldve been. (Im 2nd of 12 kids and can remember 9 of those pregnancies quite well).

True! that!

3 years pregnancy, long labour for nine tailed foxes. All immortals go through a 3 year pregnancy.

So Bai Qian's ability to get lost so easily comes from her mom?

Nope. At that point in the story she had still lost her true vision. She has the sharp eyes of a fox before Shu Jin stole it. After she got Zhe Yan to fix those eyes back, she regained her full fox vision. All foxes have super clear vision. Bai Feng Jiu has the sharpest eyes of the den of foxes. Her mum getting lost was probably not due to vision issues. And also Hamster had a mistranslation here in her translation of Pillow Book. Tang Qi said Bai Qian USED to have poor vision so Feng Jiu used to be her eyes as she has the sharpest vision out of all the nine-tailed foxes in Qing Qiu. But not anymore since Zhe Yan fixed her foxy eyes back after she ripped them out of Su Jin.

Thanks Mayan! Ive been told TTSK  is not a good translation.  Are there any fan done or better translations out there for reading TMOPBs?

Ah that makes sense. Though we can still blame the Fox King/Queen a bit for that one.. and Zhe Lan.. (How did he ever think Sang Ji would be a good match??? Lian Song I could see.)

You know its a good thing that DH doesnt have parents or a clan -just think how much worse the heirachies would be if there was those to add into the mix too?!

Hamster did one but she deleted it because she totally believed in the rumours that Tang Qi plagiarised the work.

Marriages in that universe are sometimes used for political purposes. And unfortunately this was true for Bai Qian. Luckily the man in question is her true love. It doesn't turn out that well for some people.

That's why Bai Qian always felt Feng Jiu was the luckier girl hahahah! no in laws to deal with, hubby is free and can entertain Feng Jiu more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1