[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

28 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The one annotated by @UnluckyWhiteCat. There's a discrepancy with Hamster's: 

Donghua dazed out and at length replied, “I was a parentless child. In the beginning when I first sprang forth from the Blue Sea, I didn't have enough fairy energy and was at the mercy of wild beasts. Zhihe's parents brought me home in sympathy and raised me up out of good grace. Ninety-thousand years later, just before they passed away, they finally conceived Zhi'he. Since they entrusted her to me, of course I had to care for her...” (PB1, p266)

That "later" is puzzling, since later means there's a "when" to refer to. From the sentence construction, it is as if it is pointing out that that was when DH was taken in by the crane couple.

I differentiate the annotated (APB) to Hamster's (PB) when quoting. Generally I'd still quote Hamster's since that is the text most have, unless the annotated version has the more proper translation.

Let me read the chinese version first before i make more comments

Ok i figured it out i will translate to show you. And also paste the chinese text and highlight it.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Is this hamster’s translation?

anyway, i think they rather believe Dong Hua owes them. They didn’t treat him well. It is implied by Tang Qi in the Chinese version that all they provided for him were meals, no love nothing. I think i have quoted in chinese and translated this to show that somewhere in these forum pages. Ill try to find it.

Hmm no wonder Zhi He behaves the way she does.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Ninky said:
3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

They're Earth immortals who were about to die when they conceived Zhi He. If they had Chu Yi early on, then it's possible that Chu Yi don't have much time either to look after the younger sibling. Or they would rather have DH take care of the foster sibling since 1) he certainly would 2) he can provide the care and more 3) they aren't still in good terms with Chu Yi.

Donghua dazed out and at length replied, “I didn’t have a mother or father when I was little. When I was born, my spiritual energy was weak and I was almost ripped apart for a meal by tigers and wolves. Zhi’he’s parents took pity on me and took me home to raise, and I owe them the gratitude of kindly meals. Just before they passed away  90,000 years ago, they finally conceived Zhi’he. Since they entrusted her to me, of course I had to care for her. I taught her...” Perhaps it had been so long ago that he himself was struggling with the details. (APB1, p206)

Is this hamster’s translation?

anyway, i think they rather believe Dong Hua owes them. They didn’t treat him well. It is implied by Tang Qi in the Chinese version that all they provided for him were meals, no love nothing. I think i have quoted in chinese and translated this to show that somewhere in these forum pages. Ill try to find it.

I think there's a line somewhere in that quoted paragraph that might actually have been from somewhere on this forum? I can't even remember anymore, it was so long ago, but I think there was definitely something

:idk:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

That post was mine. I highlighted this a while ago, can’t find it so I am retranslating that part i found out what the problem was its just that i went grocery shopping. I picked up the mistranslation in both versions from what @MayanEchoposted. Going to paste chinese text as well to illustrate this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ninky said:

That post was mine. I highlighted this a while ago, can’t find it so I am retranslating that part i found out what the problem was its just that i went grocery shopping. I picked up the mistranslation in both versions from what @MayanEchoposted. Going to paste chinese text as well to illustrate this.

I can vaguely recall it too, but to find that post, there should be a certain word/phrase that makes that post stand out so that it can be searched...which I can't remember as of now either. :sweatingbullets:

• Awesome 1

Here we go:

“东华怔了一怔,良久,回道:“我小时候无父无母,刚化生时灵气微弱差点被虎狼分食,知鹤的双亲看我可怜将我领回去抚养,对我有施饭之恩。他们九万年前临羽化时才生下知鹤,将她托给我照顾,我自然要照顾。” 

Excerpt from
三生三世 枕上书
唐七公子
This material may be protected by copyright.

Please note the Dong Hua was the product of Transformative birth - 化生 

Which is why I used came into existence instead of being born as he wasn't really "born" as per normal.

Translation of the Excerpt:

"Dong Hua dipped into a reverie. A long time time later, he replied, "I had neither a father or a mother when I was little. When I first came into existence, my spirit essence was weak, and was almost ripped apart by tigers and wolves as a meal, Zhi He's parents saw how pitiful I was and took me home to raise, granting me the favour of meals.

They gave birth to Zhi He ninety thousand years ago before they faded, entrusting her to my care, so I naturally had to take care of her. "

So the mistranslation is what I have highlighted. They did not give birth to Zhi He 90,000 years AFTER they picked up Dong Hua. They gave birth to Zhi He 90,000 years ago from this point in the story. 

It basically answers the question of why the other person didn't take care of her. That other person may have already faded. Zhi He was only born 90,000 years ago from the pillow book timeline. So it's fairly "recent" in the scheme of things.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Zhi He was only born 90,000 years ago from the pillow book timeline. So it's fairly "recent" in the scheme of things.

Thanks @Ninky:dorashakes:

In the timeline posted in in blog, Lian Song is also of similar time of birth. Safe to say then that DH did look after two young immortals in Tai Chen Palace, but he was drawn more to the one who was eager to learn and turned DH's library into his dormitory.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

15 hours ago, Ninky said:

Not zu ti, the lotus fairy - she is the vessel that contains the essence breath of both zu ti and shao wan, that’s why when she died both gods returned.

Is this the same spirit that gave Cheng Yu all the trouble during the Flower ceremony in the Pillow book?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Is this the same spirit that gave Cheng Yu all the trouble during the Flower ceremony in the Pillow book?

Nope. That was just a flower show going out of control :D. But Cheng Yu in Lotus Step, even as human, could communicate with plant life. Don't forget Zu Ti sacrificed her body and let it become the flora and fauna of the earth so that humans can inhabit it safely. That's the reason why Cheng Yu could do so. She is none other than the human incarnation of Zu Ti.

8 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The fairy vessel was Chang Yi

And yes the vessel that contains the breath essence of both Zu Ti and Shao Wan was Chang Yi. Remember immortals can return if they leave 5% of their essence around. As such, it was quite clear the three women had planned for their trumphant return, so to speak! Her expiration meant the return of the two ancients.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

10 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Nope. That was just a flower show going out of control :D. But Cheng Yu in Lotus Step, even as human, could communicate with plant life. Don't forget Zu Ti sacrificed her body and let it become the flora and fauna of the earth so that humans can inhabit it safely. That's the reason why Cheng Yu could do so. She is none other than the human incarnation of Zu Ti.

And yes the vessel that contains the breath essence of both Zu Ti and Shao Wan was Chang Yi. Remember immortals can return if they leave 5% of their essence around. As such, it was quite clear the three women had planned for their trumphant return, so to speak! Her expiration meant the return of the two ancients.

Ok now i understand. Before i was thinking Cheng Yi = mortal form of Zu Ti that was learning what love was  but that her core Zu Ti  as well as the core Shao Wan essences were in another lotus fairy vessel. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Ok now i understand. Before i was thinking Cheng Yi = mortal form of Zu Ti that was learning what love was  but that her core Zu Ti  as well as the core Shao Wan essences were in another lotus fairy vessel. 

Congratulations! You got it right :). 

You will see this better as we post Lotus Step after Back to Chaos.

So Cheng Yu = mortal form of Zu Ti

Chang Yi = the Red Lotus fairy who is the vessel that contains the core of both Zu Ti and Shao Wan essences.

If you note this is a very clever play of words by Tang Qi. Even pronounced in chinese both names have a C and a Y and the beginning sounds when pronounced are quite similar. That's why as readers read further into the story, they will put two and two together that these two are somehow related. And they were. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

11 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Congratulations! You got it right :). 

You will see this better as we post Lotus Step after Back to Chaos.

So Cheng Yu = mortal form of Zu Ti

Chang Yi = the Red Lotus fairy who is the vessel that contains the core of both Zu Ti and Shao Wan essences.

If you note this is a very clever play of words by Tang Qi. Even pronounced in chinese both names have a C and a Y and the beginning sounds when pronounced are quite similar. That's why as readers read further into the story, they will put two and two together that these two are somehow related. And they were. 

Very interesting!!  and here I thought those were just different spellings that were varying from what were in the subtitles! 

I look forward to the Lotus Step translations too!

• Like 2

Im currently doing a re-watch of TMPB so I could watch all the Mo Yuan and Dong Hua parts again.  I managed to get a screenshot of the Ghost Tribe's invitiation.-I tried to run it thru Google translate in google docs and it was a weird mess of letters.  -Is there a good spot to load up the image to see if the prop makers actually wrote out a proper invite? 

Also in the book does Ye Hua experience pain in the chest when Mo Yuan is discovered? and likewise does Mo Yuan experience the similar pain when Ye Hua uses his spirit to calm the Bell of the Emperor?  

Something else Ive wondered, what decides if a dead immortal fades/disappears or still remains after death?  It seemed to vary in the 2 drama series. 

20 hours ago, Megan said:

Ali: you must be mistaken. These are the hair ties Feng Jiu personally made for me this morning.

Dong Hua: your cousin was lying.

Ali: ....

Or...    "Your cousin mixed in one of mine"

23 hours ago, Romulan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is that the thing you mentioned b4 of DH going back at some point too? Wouldnt some of that stuff have to be remember like the strategy that lead to the full defeat in that war?   Also makes me wonder if the Fox King or Zhe Lan were there during the coronation?

Re the tree, when someone on this forum first mentioned that comment. I envisioned a tree getting uprooted, shrunk and potted into a convenient type bonsai tree easily carried..

21 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm more amused thinking of what he would have said. "I lost a HANDKERCHIEF days ago..." Now change handkerchief to a TREE or whatever other things FJ transformed herself, hahaha! 

I decided to add a tree into the palace.  This one is finally of size.  Im taking it now..

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

The one annotated by @UnluckyWhiteCat. There's a discrepancy with Hamster's: 

Donghua dazed out and at length replied, “I was a parentless child. In the beginning when I first sprang forth from the Blue Sea, I didn't have enough fairy energy and was at the mercy of wild beasts. Zhihe's parents brought me home in sympathy and raised me up out of good grace. Ninety-thousand years later, just before they passed away, they finally conceived Zhi'he. Since they entrusted her to me, of course I had to care for her...” (PB1, p266)

That "later" is puzzling, since later means there's a "when" to refer to. From the sentence construction, it is as if it is pointing out that that was when DH was taken in by the crane couple.

I differentiate the annotated (APB) to Hamster's (PB) when quoting. Generally I'd still quote Hamster's since that is the text most have, unless the annotated version has the more proper translation.

Are the links you posted before the APB or just PB versions? I thought they were PBs..

Speaking of timelines.  In the drama at least , BQ is about 70,000 when she returns to QingQiu.  Feng Jiu was born while BQ and Ninth were captives in Ghost realm prior to the war.    Ye Hua was born after the war.  

Its then 70,000 years time-jump.  - which makes BQ 140,000 in the early part and at one point she mentions being 90,000 years older than him. (ep 44).

Pillow Book happens after TMPBs, so wouldnt that make Feng Jiu at least 70,000? so why does the Back to Chaos have her listed as just 30,000? 

Help!

48 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Are the links you posted before the APB or just PB versions? I thought they were PBs..

Speaking of timelines.  In the drama at least , BQ is about 70,000 when she returns to QingQiu.  Feng Jiu was born while BQ and Ninth were captives in Ghost realm prior to the war.    Ye Hua was born after the war.  

Its then 70,000 years time-jump.  - which makes BQ 140,000 in the early part and at one point she mentions being 90,000 years older than him. (ep 44).

Pillow Book happens after TMPBs, so wouldnt that make Feng Jiu at least 70,000? so why does the Back to Chaos have her listed as just 30,000? 

Help!

The timeline is correct. The drama confused many people. A lot of pillow book's past events overlaps into tmpb. Don't use drama timelines, it will just confuse you, study the one we posted carefully if there are discrepancies let me know and i'll match it with the Chinese timeline. For all you know, we made mistakes while translating.

That's why your feedback is impt, like the reader with the eclosion feedback which I have gone back to correct. And bringing things like when Zhi He was born up was good because now I can dissect the chinese text and explain stuff. Also noticed that hamster referred to Yu Hua as death but it really isn't, it's the spirit of the immortal returning to the chaos world which is quite a bit different from the mortal "death" which in this universe isn't quite permanent, because they reincarnate.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Romulan said:

Help!

Have you tried viewing that image using Google Lens?

The links I've previously posted were from Hamster.

About their age discrepancies, those were changes in the TMOPB drama only. BQ and Ling Yu were captured by Qin Cang but its not because they were sneaking out to Qing Qiu for FJ's birth.

Seventy thousand years ago, the previous Demon Emperor, Qing Cang, was out on a hunting trip. He took a shine to one of my fellow apprentices, Ninth Apprentice Ling Yu, tied him up, and carried him off to the Purple Light Palace, where he planned to make him his male empress. I was out with Ling Yu at the time and was unfortunate enough to be abducted along with him. (TTSK, ch5, p118)

So from this passage, there's that difference already from the drama on how and why they were taken by Qing Cang. In the book, FJ has nothing to do with it when the abductions happened.

About FJ's age, she's really only in her 30,000s. Due to the drama changes, she's older than Ye Hua in TMOPB. In the book, she's 30,000.

Thinking it over more carefully, I realized that in all her thirty thousand years, Phoenix Nine had owed a favor to only one person, and that was Dong Hua. His immortal magic was much more powerful than hers, which made it difficult for her to repay him. Could she have come to the mortal world to find Dong Hua in his reincarnated form and repay the debt that way? It had taken so much for her to make a clean break from her destructive love for Dong Hua. A few days of fussing over him could easily reignite those feelings. For the sake of Second Brother and Second Sister-in-Law I had to act. (TTSK, ch10, p249)

FJ's age is also in her 30,000s in Pillow Book. 

Bai Qian, in her late years, married Yehua at 140,000. She always believed her marriage came at the most opportune of times, and could not help but constantly use it as a standard to measure other people’s fortunes. Yet after some consideration, she regretfully found that her niece, Fengjiu, was barely 30,000 years old; still too young to talk of marriage. But since it was Fengjiu’s father, her brother Bai Yi, who asked for her help, she couldn’t very well refuse. (PB1, p11)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ninky said:

The timeline is correct. The drama confused many people. A lot of pillow book's past events overlaps into tmpb. Don't use drama timelines, it will just confuse you, study the one we posted carefully if there are discrepancies let me know and i'll match it with the Chinese timeline. For all you know, we made mistakes while translating.

That's why your feedback is impt, like the reader with the eclosion feedback which I have gone back to correct. And bringing things like when Zhi He was born up was good because now I can dissect the chinese text and explain stuff. Also noticed that hamster referred to Yu Hua as death but it really isn't, it's the spirit of the immortal returning to the chaos world which is quite a bit different from the mortal "death" which in this universe isn't quite permanent, because they reincarnate.

Ah so this timeline?  --Id overlooked it before when reading articles.  This clears up alot of things!   https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/timeline-for-three-lives-three-worlds

27 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Have you tried viewing that image using Google Lens?

The links I've previously posted were from Hamster.

About their age discrepancies, those were changes in the TMOPB drama only. BQ and Ling Yu were captured by Qin Cang but its not because they were sneaking out to Qing Qiu for FJ's birth.

Seventy thousand years ago, the previous Demon Emperor, Qing Cang, was out on a hunting trip. He took a shine to one of my fellow apprentices, Ninth Apprentice Ling Yu, tied him up, and carried him off to the Purple Light Palace, where he planned to make him his male empress. I was out with Ling Yu at the time and was unfortunate enough to be abducted along with him. (TTSK, ch5, p118)

So from this passage, there's that difference already from the drama on how and why they were taken by Qing Cang. In the book, FJ has nothing to do with it when the abductions happened.

About FJ's age, she's really only in her 30,000s. Due to the drama changes, she's older than Ye Hua in TMOPB. In the book, she's 30,000.

Thinking it over more carefully, I realized that in all her thirty thousand years, Phoenix Nine had owed a favor to only one person, and that was Dong Hua. His immortal magic was much more powerful than hers, which made it difficult for her to repay him. Could she have come to the mortal world to find Dong Hua in his reincarnated form and repay the debt that way? It had taken so much for her to make a clean break from her destructive love for Dong Hua. A few days of fussing over him could easily reignite those feelings. For the sake of Second Brother and Second Sister-in-Law I had to act. (TTSK, ch10, p249)

FJ's age is also in her 30,000s in Pillow Book. 

Bai Qian, in her late years, married Yehua at 140,000. She always believed her marriage came at the most opportune of times, and could not help but constantly use it as a standard to measure other people’s fortunes. Yet after some consideration, she regretfully found that her niece, Fengjiu, was barely 30,000 years old; still too young to talk of marriage. But since it was Fengjiu’s father, her brother Bai Yi, who asked for her help, she couldn’t very well refuse. (PB1, p11)

Thanks Mayan!

This is one of the great things about this forum, all you guys are great at helping answer our questions.  

In the novels do we ever get to see Zhe Lan in his phoenix form? Im curious to his size, and coloration. :)

11 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Ah so this timeline?  --Id overlooked it before when reading articles.  This clears up alot of things!   https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/timeline-for-three-lives-three-worlds

Thanks Mayan!

This is one of the great things about this forum, all you guys are great at helping answer our questions.  

In the novels do we ever get to see Zhe Lan in his phoenix form? Im curious to his size, and coloration. :)

Zhe yan is a fire red phoenix. He did not hatch like Shao Wan. He was born of fire like a true phoenix who rises from the ashes.

This info was courtesy of Shao Wan.

And yes that is Tang Qi’s timeline that she penned.

• Insightful 3