[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

But it's fluid, sometimes they can be in this hall or another hall but in general the couples share the bedchamber in the master hall. Do you really think these possessive husbands would let their wives sleep anywhere else? 

I think Ye Hua visits Bai Qian and sleeps in her hall.

but Feng Jiu stays at Dong Hua’s bedroom if her clothes are there

9 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I think even Pundarika pond isn't much frequented. :D

Can't wait for chapter 4! When DH is enthralled by his future wife at first sight. It's the chapter FJ invaded DH's bedroom and bed, hahaha!

Visit the pond at your own risk, hahahaha!

It was a surreal night for him. It's like she had weedled herself into his heart and soul! And he helplessly fell in love with her once again. 

• Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

Thanks Ninky! 

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

I think all the sons and family of Tian Jun are from the 33rd floor onwards. So basically 33rd - 36th contains the homes of most of the Celestial Clan. The building at the very top is where they hold meetings with Tian Jun. The other immortals would be distributed across the remaining floors.

A'Li has a hall within his Father's Xi Wu palace. This hall is called a "Dian". Within each "Dian" there is the general living area, a bedchamber, a library and a study. His hall is called Qing Yun Hall.

That's more of less how it works. Homes are built in a courtyard style. The various "Dians" are arranged around this central courtyard. Ye Hua has a main hall and Bai Qian has a hall of her own as well. Her hall was called Yu Lan Fang Hua Hall.

The same would apply to Dong Hua and his family. The three of them will have their own private halls within Tai Chen Palace. Feng Jiu would have a hall designated for her status as his Empress. She may not be sleeping in there, but she will most definitely use it to do her homework after her classes (yes, she still goes to school) or in the future govern her people from there.

But it's fluid, sometimes they can be in this hall or another hall but in general the couples share the bedchamber in the master hall. Do you really think these possessive husbands would let their wives sleep anywhere else? :naughty:'

Lol - those 2?? Nope neither of those guys. (though I do find it a little amusing that YH always go to BQ's hall vs having her come to his place.  Since otherwise A'Li couldve been left sleeping in his mom's hall. :p) 

But definitely with the harem's I could see it.

45 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I think both reasons are true because nobody wants to suffer the man's poisonous tongue and dark humour. We saw what happened to Zhe Yan in Chapter Two. And I think he's got the floor to himself as well because he really is that important. Everyone is still worried he won't get his cultivation back fast enough. 260,000 years later, they still rely on him a lot.

However with his wife and son living in the same palace now, I am pretty sure Bai Qian or Zu Ti or A-LI would come by at times. Third Prince shows up all the time regardless since they are close friends. But the rest will probably try to avoid Di Jun somehow HAHAHA! God knows what will happen if Feng Jiu's bestie Yan Chi Wu shows up. however....

Bai Qian, Zu Ti, A'Li and also Si Ming are probably quite frequent visitors!

Id like to see what Bai Qian does to keep herself busy when YH is tied up with work..

As for Yan Chi Wu, at least in the drama he was at a slightly better state with Dong Hua.  If he was tricked/ordered to collect tea leaves, I believe he would be directed in how to do it correctly with the threat of drinking the tea of any leaves gathered incorrectly..

• LOL 1

18 minutes ago, Ninky said:

It was a surreal night for him. It's like she had weedled herself into his heart and soul! And he helplessly fell in love with her once again. 

It's telling how he wasn't able to throw her out even with the way she was sleeping, hahaha! :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Id like to see what Bai Qian does to keep herself busy when YH is tied up with work..

She likes reading novels and watching plays.

15 minutes ago, Romulan said:

As for Yan Chi Wu, at least in the drama he was at a slightly better state with Dong Hua.  If he was tricked/ordered to collect tea leaves, I believe he would be directed in how to do it correctly with the threat of drinking the tea of any leaves gathered incorrectly..

In the book, he really picks the tea leaves, plants trees for DH, harvests the apricots, cleans the mud from the lotus pond, and other chores so that DH will not have any excuse not to duel with him.

XY challenged him for that duel since he wanted to show off. If he defeats DH, Xuyang might allow him to marry his sister, and JH might also prefer to marry him.

XY was very childish and naïve, eh?

DH of course had no real intention to duel with him, until XY stole the Soul Locking Jade.

• Insightful 1

52 minutes ago, Ninky said:

In other words, most people are too chicken to visit Floor Number 13

P.S. Past the half way mark of translating Chapter 4. 

Lol. which makes everyone else admire the Fox Clan that doesnt fear to tread there! 

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!~

Yay on chapter 4!

PS are you doing any entries into the event?  

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

It's telling how he wasn't able to throw her out even with the way she was sleeping, hahaha! :lol: 

In the book, he really picks the tea leaves, plants trees for DH, harvests the apricots, cleans the mud from the lotus pond, and other chores so that DH will not have any excuse not to duel with him.

XY challenged him for that duel since he wanted to show off. If he defeats DH, Xuyang might allow him to marry his sister, and JH might also prefer to marry him.

XY was very childish and naïve, eh?

DH of course had no real intention to duel with him, until XY stole the Soul Locking Jade.

He does it in the drama too, and its hilarious his face and reactions to each new 'obstacle' but there is a subtext that some of the leaves he picked werent ready leading to substandard tea that Yan accidentally drinks when he shows up hot and sweaty after finishing a bunch of those tasks.

18 minutes ago, Romulan said:

He does it in the drama too, and its hilarious his face and reactions to each new 'obstacle' but there is a subtext that some of the leaves he picked werent ready leading to substandard tea that Yan accidentally drinks when he shows up hot and sweaty after finishing a bunch of those tasks.

The cup of tea DH oh so delicately sneezed at? :sweatingbullets:  He stopped him, but XY drank anyway. 

• LOL 3

11 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The cup of tea DH oh so delicately sneezed at? :sweatingbullets:  He stopped him, but XY drank anyway. 

I thought it was more of a look of disgust. 

And yeah thats the one! 

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

True, but she's a mom and up there in the Celestial's now. Just wondering what she'd be up to now that she's had to read and memorize ALLLLlllll the rules. 

• Blob 2

2 hours ago, Romulan said:

I thought it was more of a look of disgust. 

And yeah thats the one! 

True, but she's a mom and up there in the Celestial's now. Just wondering what she'd be up to now that she's had to read and memorize ALLLLlllll the rules. 

She really turned into a very loving mother and wife after she got married. Apparently she had to read so much rules and regulations of the Celestial Clan before her marriage to Ye Hua. That's why she always tells her niece that her hubby is better, coz Feng Jiu has plenty of FREEDOM!

The Fox King told her to exercise tolerance to get through life up there. Part of the reason why Feng Jiu and Dong Hua stay part of the time in Nine Heavens was because she is pretty close to Bai Qian as her aunt had raised her. And she wanted to be close by. I mean they are just floors apart, rather than miles apart.

Later on Bai Qian will be pregnant again. There is an outtake showing her pregnant and with Ye Hua discussing their son's formal name. :hooray2:

I was thinking since Dong Hua is so overprotective of Feng Jiu. If she becomes pregnant with baby no 2, I'd bet she'll be barred from leaving Tai Chen Palace LOL! Zhong Lin will be under so much pressure to watch her hahahah! Not a fun job!

• LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

She really turned into a very loving mother and wife after she got married. Apparently she had to read so much rules and regulations of the Celestial Clan before her marriage to Ye Hua. That's why she always tells her niece that her hubby is better, coz Feng Jiu has plenty of FREEDOM!

The Fox King told her to exercise tolerance to get through life up there. Part of the reason why Feng Jiu and Dong Hua stay part of the time in Nine Heavens was because she is pretty close to Bai Qian as her aunt had raised her. And she wanted to be close by. I mean they are just floors apart, rather than miles apart.

Later on Bai Qian will be pregnant again. There is an outtake showing her pregnant and with Ye Hua discussing their son's formal name. :hooray2:

I was thinking since Dong Hua is so overprotective of Feng Jiu. If she becomes pregnant with baby no 2, I'd bet she'll be barred from leaving Tai Chen Palace LOL! Zhong Lin will be under so much pressure to watch her hahahah! Not a fun job!

Ah yes. A'Li running away out-take (I would love to see your translations of that and the TJ birthday feast/YH return celebration out-take if they were ever added to the blog too!) 

Yeah I know once she gets pregnant, she will be sleeping ALOT. 

At least with their 2nd pregnancy they will also probably be under the watchful eye of Zhe Lan a bit. (and I could see the Fox Queen coming up to visit during that time! )

By the way it seemed in the drama that A'Li was born the day before TJ's birthday.  Is that just a drama thing?  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Ive a question for our translators @Ninky @UnluckyWhiteCat.

Since Chinese is a context language, how do ancient warnings or curses get written so that its understood when those are usually just a few words and no other context?  (Im thinking like on old tombs, forbidden grounds, etc. )

I am able to translate it based on my knowledge of Chinese Mythology. This is where the crux is. And they are still translated to the context within her story. So in the end, it is still contextual but to the universe within which the story resides in. There is no such thing as no context in Chinese as several words can mean the same thing but if used in the wrong instance, it will distort its meaning altogether.

Chinese is a language in which you must apply it to the circumstances within its use. I'll bring an example, many people translate Shen Ye's name as Chen Ye. The word actually means "sink" if pronounced as Chen, but if used as a surname, it must be pronounced as Shen Ye. So in the context of using the word as a family name, the pronounciation changes and also the meaning of "sink" no longer applies to it.

In some cases when the English version of the name makes no sense, I will revert to using the Pin Yin. But so far I was even able to break down Bi Hai Cang Ling to Heavenly Jade Sea of the Sacred Spirit. 

I really don't know how Hamster arrived at Holy Blue Sea because in Chinese after reading several classics, "Bi" means Jade though it can mean blue in a different context.

And when it comes to people's names I will most definitely use the Pin Yin version especially in Tang Qi's works. I will never change Feng Jiu's name to Phoenix Nine because that is a literal translation. But her name DOESN't MEAN Phoenix and nine. She was named as such because of the birthmark on her forehead which resembles the petals of the phoenix tail flower. 

The name example gives u some insight on why it is still contextual. Literal translation to Phoenix Nine absolutely distorted the meaning behind her name. And for this reason alone people's names and certain places and titles in the story is unsuitable to be translated literally.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

I am able to translate it based on my knowledge of Chinese Mythology. This is where the crux is. And they are still translated to the context within her story. So in the end, it is still contextual but to the universe within which the story resides in. There is no such thing as no context in Chinese as several words can mean the same thing but if used in the wrong instance, it will distort its meaning altogether.

Chinese is a language in which you must apply it to the circumstances within its use. I'll bring an example, many people translate Shen Ye's name as Chen Ye. The word actually means "sink" if pronounced as Chen, but if used as a surname, it must be pronounced as Shen Ye. So in the context of using the word as a family name, the pronounciation changes and also the meaning of "sink" no longer applies to it.

In some cases when the English version of the name makes no sense, I will revert to using the Pin Yin. But so far I was even able to break down Bi Hai Cang Ling to Heavenly Jade Sea of the Sacred Spirit. 

I really don't know how Hamster arrived at Holy Blue Sea because in Chinese after reading several classics, "Bi" means Jade though it can mean blue in a different context.

And when it comes to people's names I will most definitely use the Pin Yin version especially in Tang Qi's works. I will never change Feng Jiu's name to Phoenix Nine because that is a literal translation. But her name DOESN't MEAN Phoenix and nine. She was named as such because of the birthmark on her forehead which resembles the petals of the phoenix tail flower. 

The name example gives u some insight on why it is still contextual. Literal translation to Phoenix Nine absolutely distorted the meaning behind her name. And for this reason alone people's names and certain places and titles in the story is unsuitable to be translated literally.

Thanks @Ninky.  

this helps alot. -that makes me wonder what does Ye Hua mean?

Also is there a chance that the blog could include the true meaning of their names and some titles vs the literal translations ? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Romulan said:

Ive a question for our translators @Ninky @UnluckyWhiteCat.

Since Chinese is a context language, how do ancient warnings or curses get written so that its understood when those are usually just a few words and no other context?  (Im thinking like on old tombs, forbidden grounds, etc. )

Errr I'm honestly not really sure how to answer this cause I haven't really done that sort of stuff, and most of the things I deal with on a day-to-day basis actually involves more medical-type and conversational vocabulary than more obscure stuff like that. A lot of it does require knowledge of the mythology and culture though. So I do a lot of research in the course of translating, particularly on the Buddhist concepts because those are difficult. You'll see in chapter 9 when I get it up tonight, there's something that makes absolutely zero sense without understanding or at least knowing of the story behind it. 

If we use Tangqi as an example, she pulls a lot of her inspiration from Buddhism and lore, and there's even an article on the blog that you can look at. But for example, if you may have noticed, there were a couple things that I marked out in footnotes in my Back to Chaos in a Dream translation (by the way, I've actually been occasionally adding more footnotes) that come from mythology. Like the fusang tree and the three-legged crows, there's a really popular Chinese myth associated with those that the Wikipedia links I dropped can get you started on should you happen to be interested. 

So those things would probably have some kind of context behind them too, you'd just need to figure out what exactly it is. 

2 hours ago, Romulan said:

that makes me wonder what does Ye Hua mean?

Most simplistically, "night brilliance"

If you want a breakdown: 

夜: night

华: actually has a bunch of possibilities, including brilliance / magnificence, etc., but another thing the word refers to that is completely unrelated to Yehua's name is the Chinese themselves, so "China" or "Chinese" 

Edit: also, completely forgot to mention it before, but about the "hua" in Yehua, I've also seen it as used to mean "flower" before, if you find that at all amusing. By the way it's the same "hua" in DH's name. XD

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 2

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Errr I'm honestly not really sure how to answer this cause I haven't really done that sort of stuff, and most of the things I deal with on a day-to-day basis actually involves more medical-type and conversational vocabulary than more obscure stuff like that. A lot of it does require knowledge of the mythology and culture though. So I do a lot of research in the course of translating, particularly on the Buddhist concepts because those are difficult. You'll see in chapter 9 when I get it up tonight, there's something that makes absolutely zero sense without understanding or at least knowing of the story behind it. 

If we use Tangqi as an example, she pulls a lot of her inspiration from Buddhism and lore, and there's even an article on the blog that you can look at. But for example, if you may have noticed, there were a couple things that I marked out in footnotes in my Back to Chaos in a Dream translation (by the way, I've actually been occasionally adding more footnotes) that come from mythology. Like the fusang tree and the three-legged crows, there's a really popular Chinese myth associated with those that the Wikipedia links I dropped can get you started on should you happen to be interested. 

So those things would probably have some kind of context behind them too, you'd just need to figure out what exactly it is. 

Most simplistically, "night brilliance"

If you want a breakdown: 

夜: night

华: actually has a bunch of possibilities, including brilliance / magnificence, etc., but another thing the word refers to that is completely unrelated to Yehua's name is the Chinese themselves, so "China" or "Chinese" 

Edit: also, completely forgot to mention it before, but about the "hua" in Yehua, I've also seen it as used to mean "flower" before, if you find that at all amusing. By the way it's the same "hua" in DH's name. XD

Yes !! Any mythos I greatly enjoy!  

And that is cool! 

• Blob 2

8 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Suits him. DH's a flower boy, hahaha! Dong Hua's Eastern Brilliance, as I remember with his previous full title before PB extra was released. I think I've also seen Ye Hua's name translated as Night Splendor. 

Looking forward to the PB extra final chapter! :heart:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1