[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Might cost even more if it's one of a kind sort, has intricate carvings, or it's an antique piece.

And what type of jade.  Some is really cheap but others are very pricey for even a small pendant.

Speaking of which, I'm currently waiting on delivery of 2 waist/belt pendants one of which is Jade with tai chi symbol and the 4 guardian beasts. the other is of a 9 tailed fox.  :)   (You can guess why I chose that one! )as well as a Jade flute. -they werent super expensive but Ive seen small Jade hair pieces go for 3 figures easily -let alone something the size of a chair!

Oh question,  when re-watching episodes recently, I suddenly was wondering, in the books, did Feng Jiu cut off one of her tails and did DiJinn keep it afterwards? or was that only in the TMPB drama due to not having rights to use the Pillow Book?  (also it mentions that 4th Brother had also done it before is that in the books?)

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

And Mo Yuan definitely ditched his bride to be and kidnapped Shao Wan already :wink:

It's because Fengjiu is literally the one for Donghua. Even though they were not fated, as long as she exists in the universe, Donghua finally has a home.

I think after reading a translation of some of extracts of Shao Wan, I can see why Mo Yuan and so many of the ancient celestials have connected relationship with her. For one, she's loyal- which sounds rare for times of war. Also, very brave, more kind than many of the other celestials, sincere- if she like you, shes likes you and vice versa. There's definitely good reason why the demon clan all respect and honour her even to her death.

Reveal hidden contents

Past ZT existed before LS was even born their fate was already set in stone though I think before then they never actually officially met. Also CY is literally ZT with no memories and no powers, but long story short,  LS ended up falling for CY very deeply so they ended up even more entangled before CY could fully awaken as ZT.

Actually they worship the egg from which she hatched from like a God. So when she hatched, she became their ancestor god. They call her 祖宗 which means ancestor.

• Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

3 minutes ago, Romulan said:

And what type of jade.  Some is really cheap but others are very pricey for even a small pendant.

Speaking of which, I'm currently waiting on delivery of 2 waist/belt pendants one of which is Jade with tai chi symbol and the 4 guardian beasts. the other is of a 9 tailed fox.  :)   (You can guess why I chose that one! )as well as a Jade flute. -they werent super expensive but Ive seen small Jade hair pieces go for 3 figures easily -let alone something the size of a chair!

Oh question,  when re-watching episodes recently, I suddenly was wondering, in the books, did Feng Jiu cut off one of her tails and did DiJinn keep it afterwards? or was that only in the TMPB drama due to not having rights to use the Pillow Book?  (also it mentions that 4th Brother had also done it before is that in the books?)

Totally TMPB event. 

I imagine the novel/ELOD DH will prevent FJ from self-harming. 

Exciting how you ordered some jade. I did Google and notice some jade chairs cost thousands to millions of dollars. I wonder how strong Jade is.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

Exciting how you ordered some jade. I did Google and notice some jade chairs cost thousands to millions of dollars. I wonder how strong Jade is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I study a little bit about minerals and rocks a few months ago so I am nowhere to an expert. There are many different types of jades. Jades or jadeite are pretty tough. Is one of the toughest known natural mineral. But first, keep in mind that there are no mineral species called jade. Is just a name for it. And if you wonder why a jade is so tough is because it is a mineral formed through metamorphism meaning it associated in high pressure areas. The interlocking texture of microscopic crystals that comprise it. If I'm not wrong, if you scratch it on a mohs scale is about 6 or a 6.5. (Note: Mohs scale of hardness mostly used to classified minerals from 1-10. You scratch the mineral to see if it leaves a streak. So 1 is the softest and 10 is the hardest which are diamonds). And because jade are about 6 or 6.5 it gets scratch kinda easy. Because of the toughness of the jade, it makes wonderful carving of features without breaking the stone. 

(Ah also forgot, I'll add a link below if anyone is interested in more info about jades)

https://geology.com/gemstones/jade/#:~:text=Jadeite and nephrite are minerals,rocks associated with subduction zones.&text=Jadeite is typically found in,of jadeite and nephrite deposits.

• Insightful 4

8 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

Totally TMPB event. 

Agree. In my opinion the TMPB drama destroys the magic of Pillow Book by inventing the new story of DHDJ and FJ. @Romulan I recommend you to read the  PB book and watch the ELOD drama (if you have not done that already). 

I am glad I did not watch TMPB first, otherwise I would be put off watching ELOD. The only reason I watched TMPB drama simply to find out more context/background about Pillow Book (there was not much really). The 3L3W TMPB book on another hand feels better. I like the book more than the drama. 

Although I am not fond of TMPB drama I still give it credit for bringing in Reba and Vengo into the story.  PB will not be a PB without them.

This Soompi forum gives the most useful information and makes reading TQ books more enjoyable. 

• Love 2

14 hours ago, Ninky said:

Shao Wan went into slumber after opening the “door” for the human race to what became known as the mortal realm.

The 4 seas and 8 realms was becoming very dangerous for humankind so a plan was devised by Shao Wan, Xie Ming (whose physical body had transformed into the underworld but she will also come back physically at some point) and Zu Ti to open the portal (door) to lead humankind to safety. 

We will get more details as Lotus Step evolves in future instalments. The book is divided into several parts as it is a very long story.

These goddess are worthy of being goddess. Sacrifice oneself for the good of humankind.

I cannot wait for Lotus Step.  Who is Xie Ming counterpart?

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

3 minutes ago, Pesca said:

These goddess are worthy of being goddess. Sacrifice oneself for the good of humankind.

Huh...maybe that is how your second trial comes about.

Bai Qian went to fight Qing Cang alone without even asking her family for help. She underwent her goddess trial immediately

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

Totally TMPB event. 

Thanks! this etsy seller has a lot of different ones. :)  and gotta love our 9 tailed foxes! (I can post a link if you want?)

46 minutes ago, Pesca said:

Agree. In my opinion the TMPB drama destroys the magic of Pillow Book by inventing the new story of DHDJ and FJ. @Romulan I recommend you to read the  PB book and watch the ELOD drama (if you have not done that already). 

I am glad I did not watch TMPB first, otherwise I would be put off watching ELOD. The only reason I watched TMPB drama simply to find out more context/background about Pillow Book (there was not much really). The 3L3W TMPB book on another hand feels better. I like the book more than the drama. 

Although I am not fond of TMPB drama I still give it credit for bringing in Reba and Vengo into the story.  PB will not be a PB without them.

This Soompi forum gives the most useful information and makes reading TQ books more enjoyable. 

TMPB was my intro into everything.  Im also a fan of the 4 actors (Yang Mi, Mark Chao, Reba and Vengo). 

I watched ETLD right after watching TMPB.   I enjoyed both but for different reasons.

Is there a good eng translation of both books?  I looked for Hamster's blog of translations but they were no longer up. :(   I am starting to learn Mandarin but Ive no illusions about being able to reading soon  

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

As a drama, TMOPB is one of the best. Four years after its first broadcast, the drama re-runs from 5th of Feb via Hunan TV.

Thankful too of TMOPB, for gifting the perfect DH and FJ for ELOD. 

20 minutes ago, Pesca said:

Who is Xie Ming counterpart?

None has been mentioned so far, but she is likely related to the Netherworld siblings Xie Guchou and Xie Hualuo.

@Romulan the Hamster, et al two volumes of translated text are here for Pillow Book. The official TMOPB translation is To The Sky Kingdom by Toland.

18 minutes ago, Megan said:

Huh...maybe that is how your second trial comes about.

Bai Qian went to fight Qing Cang alone without even asking her family for help. She underwent her goddess trial immediately

Heavenly trials can not be predicted or forced though, although for BQ it is not a surprise that hers commenced since it is within the 70-140,000 years of immortal to god/goddess journey.

• Insightful 2

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

As a drama, TMOPB is one of the best. Four years after its first broadcast, the drama re-runs from 5th of Feb via Hunan TV.

True, TMOPB really set the standard for ELOD. Even though the Dongfeng story is non-canonical, I can appreciate it. Also, even though their story is so different, their characters remain the same. :) 

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Thankful too of TMOPB, for gifting the perfect DH and FJ for ELOD. 

And there's that! :D 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Pesca said:

I cannot wait for Lotus Step.  Who is Xie Ming counterpart?

Xie Ming is the ancestor of Xie Gu Chou and Xie Hua Lou. The blAck and white Lords of the underworld. Note the same family name.

Another tidbit for people who don’t already know. Xie Hua Lou is Xie Gu Chou’s sister and will be paired with Green Demon Lord, Yan Chi Wu in a future book in the 3L3W series. Xiao Yan deserves a better woman and so he shall be getting one. Thank god he will never end up with Ji Heng!

Some additional info for you. Zu Ti has no high goddess trial, she was born one.

As for Shao Wan, she is a white phoenix born from an egg the demon clan worshipped for years like  a god. When she crawled out of it, they revered her as their ancestor God. Hence, kind of also a goddess at the get go.

I just finished reading the whole Pillow Book outtake novella. So it seems that Shao Wan’s battle formation can break Di Jun’s battle formation. The goddess is one smart cookie. And incidentally Dong Hua and Shao Wan were best friends at the immortal school they both attended.

• Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I just finished reading the whole Pillow Book outtake novella. So it seems that Shao Wan’s battle formation can break Di Jun’s battle formation. The goddess is one smart cookie. And incidentally Dong Hua and Shao Wan were best friends at the immortal school they both attended.

I wonder what was her grade for that formation.

4 minutes ago, Megan said:

I wonder what was her grade for that formation.

Actually from what I gather from

reading Lotus Step and the first chapters of Bodhi Fate, Father God admires Shao Wan a lot as she is smart and talented.

He was the one who arranged for her to attend the formation class with Mo Yuan (forced to sit next to him, oops), Dong Hua and Zhe Yan.

Btw big clue in the Pillow

Book outtake. Mo Yuan was clearly devastated when Shao Wan “faded”

Dong Feng ran into him when they visited the school to retrieve Shao Wan’s formation. Feng Jiu described him as a shadow of what she had seen of him In the future. Like there was a deep sadness in him.

Based on this important clue, and the ones dropped in Lotus Step, it appears that Mo Yuan was in love with Shao Wan a lot earlier than we initially thought. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

He was the one who arranged for her to attend the formation class with Mo Yuan (forced to sit next to him, oops), Dong Hua and Zhe Yan.

Wondering why Dong Hua didn't borrow notes from Zhe Yan and preferred Shao Wan's even if they were both getting bad marks? :P

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

Based on this important clue, and the ones dropped in Lotus Step, it appears that Mo Yuan was in love with Shao Wan a lot earlier than we initially thought. 

Charmed by the seat mate. LOL. Eh, Shao Wan all the way compared to the snobbish Yao Guang. Even if she's in white to match Mo Yuan's outfit and seems to be close to him, while Shao Wan on the other hand thinks he and the other male classmates are feminine. :lol:

• LOL 1

6 hours ago, Pesca said:

I agree with you that the way the story of DX and FJ was shown in TMPOB spoils their magical story in ELOD. I watched ELOD after TMPOB and I will say that if it was the other way around, I wouldn't be able to watch TMPOB at all.

As for the popularity of TMPOB for the past three years, I can say that this is due not only to the production team, but also to all the actors involved. The reason is not at all in the love story of BQ and YX, but in the way each character was written, in their character development, in how interesting all the stories developed. And the main and secondary actors not only did what the director told them to do, they brought the characters of both TQ books to life, they lived their character's life as if it were their own life.

Personally, I liked the story of DX and FJ in TMPOB much more than the story of BQ and YX. But ELOD, I'm still obsessed with him. I was so devastated when it came to an end, it wasn't enough for me, I wanted it to never end. I'm still hurt by how messed up DX and FJ are in TMPOB. I've been healing my wounded heart by reading the opinions of fans about their stories in TMPOB, fan fiction is also very helpful.

The chemistry of Reba and Vengo has not been eclipsed by any drama that was released in 2020, and even now I do not see anything similar. It is necessary to be so able to show love on the screen that my monitor simply could not stand this flame. Part of me still thinks there was more to them than just acting.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Xie Ming is the ancestor of Xie Gu Chou and Xie Hua Lou. The blAck and white Lords of the underworld. Note the same family name.

Thanks for the information. I have read some where that Xie Ming is the mother of Xie Gu Chou and Xie Hua Lou. Might not be the case then? I look forward to their story (may be we have to wait for a while). I really like Xie Gu Chou as a character, he seems to be devoted friend of FJ based on what I read in PB.   

Also I am glad that Yan Chiwu will end up with Xie Hua Lou. 

By the way, how do you purchase ELOD drama? If you become a member of WETv, can you download it? If you no longer be a member can you still watch the file(s) that you have downloaded afterward? 

I am looking for good quality one. Quality of the drama on Youtube is not great. DVD is hard to find in region 2 and I don't have TV to watch (my TV is occupied by all the educational programmes LOL). Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Pesca
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Wondering why Dong Hua didn't borrow notes from Zhe Yan and preferred Shao Wan's even if they were both getting bad marks? :P

Charmed by the seat mate. LOL. Eh, Shao Wan all the way compared to the snobbish Yao Guang. Even if she's in white to match Mo Yuan's outfit and seems to be close to him, while Shao Wan on the other hand thinks he and the other male classmates are feminine. :lol:

Tang Qi says Shao Wan is always in white as she loves the colour. (don't forget she is in fact a white phoenix).

Also the actual wording in the book with regards to borrowing notes was "If Dong Hua was not crazy enough to copy Shao Wan's notes but instead copied Mo Yuan, Xie Ming or Bai Zhi's notes he will always come in first." This was from Zhe Yan's recollections about their time at Water Marsh School.  

• LOL 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ninky said:

Tang Qi says Shao Wan is always in white as she loves the colour. (don't forget she is in fact a white phoenix)

Oh, so she and Yao Guang are both in white? I meant stuffy Yao Guang as the one in white matching Mo Yuan's clothes. 

I like this white phoenix. Perfect match to the black dragon. :)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

And Mo Yuan definitely ditched his bride to be and kidnapped Shao Wan already :wink:

It's because Fengjiu is literally the one for Donghua. Even though they were not fated, as long as she exists in the universe, Donghua finally has a home.

I think after reading a translation of some of extracts of Shao Wan, I can see why Mo Yuan and so many of the ancient celestials have connected relationship with her. For one, she's loyal- which sounds rare for times of war. Also, very brave, more kind than many of the other celestials, sincere- if she like you, shes likes you and vice versa. There's definitely good reason why the demon clan all respect and honour her even to her death.

Reveal hidden contents

Past ZT existed before LS was even born their fate was already set in stone though I think before then they never actually officially met. Also CY is literally ZT with no memories and no powers, but long story short,  LS ended up falling for CY very deeply so they ended up even more entangled before CY could fully awaken as ZT.

Here's the translation of the actual conversation lines from Feng Jiu and Dong Hua at the end of the outtake.

It's what moved Feng Jiu to tears at the end there:

Feng Jiu: "I have a question, if Di Jun had forgotten me, why did you fall in love with me so quickly? Because according to what you said, when I travelled back in time, you totally did not know me at all, you only heard from me that I am your future wife, that's all, but you still treated me so well right from the beginning.

Why were you so good to me, and fell in love with me so quickly?

Because in reality, in the past, it was me who chased after Di Jun for a very very long time before you finally fell in love with me.

Dong Hua: "The reality was, you were a palace maid in Tai Chen Palace for 400 years but I never saw you, you said you chased after me for a very long time, but I was totally unaware of it. After we had some destiny, you had already reverted your status as Qing Qiu's Queen, when I first saw you, I....

Feng Jiu: " When you first saw me, Di Jun, how did you feel?

Dong Hua recollects that the first time he really saw her was on the banks of the Sea of Past Life. Long recollection but I am not translating it here :).

Dong Hua: "When I first saw you, wasn't I already attracted by you?

Feng Jiu: "Is that really true?"

Dong Hua: "So even if we don't know each other, once I set eyes on you, I will fall in love with you very quickly, no matter how many times this happens, it will always be the same."

She hugs him tight to herself and places her face onto his shoulder. It wasn't long before he felt moisture on his shoulder.

Dong Hua: "Why are you crying again?"

Feng Jiu: "I also don't know why, I just feel very happy, but I still felt like crying, Di Jun, you are not allowed to look at me!"

Dong Hua: "Um, I won't look."

He raised his hand and stroked her head, and imprinted a kiss on the top of her head.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1

52 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Dong Hua: "So even if we don't know each other, once I set eyes on you, I will fall in love with you very quickly, no matter how many times this happens, it will always be the same."

Seems that Destiny knew this all along that once he lays his eyes on her, DH will fall in love with FJ. That's why even under his nose for 400 years they couldn't properly meet. 

I still prefer it though that they met later and as she is, not as his maid. After all the heartaches of FJ trying to be close to him that she had given up, it is only right that he would be the one to seek and chase her this time. Never mind that his courtship is very strange. :)

• Like 2